• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Mod Update:
windowscentral.com said:
Update May 30, 2019: Due to some confusion over this paragraph, I've updated this section. We've heard that there's a possibility that, at least at launch, there will potentially be a period where new Xbox Game Studios titles launch for both Scarlett consoles, and original Xbox One consoles. This potentially pertains to the completion of Game Core, which is a development environment that won't be coming to the older Xbox consoles, as it's tied to the development of Windows Core OS. The finer details on this are very scant, so take it with a pinch of salt.

A lot of stuff in this predictions and expectations article - are what they are, predictions, but there was one interesting nugget here that I felt was an interesting discussion point.

We're expecting the new Xbox consoles to come with an all-new OS, based on Windows Core OS, which we've been covering for some time now. Expect an all-new dashboard based on the Fluent Design System, with the speed and fluidity at the forefront. The next Xbox will be fully backward compatible with the existing library on your Xbox One, including X360 and OG Xbox back compatibility. At launch, we've heard there won't be any "Xbox Scarlett"-exclusive games. For at least a few years, games will ship on both the Xbox One consoles and on the new Scarlett consoles, as is typically the case during a generational transition.

More in the article, written by Jez : https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-e3-2019-predictions-expectations

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's typical at all for first party games. Interesting. I would feel much less pressure getting the Scarlett at launch if I could just play the games on my One X and know whenever I buy Scarlett they would still work.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is consistent with the messaging from MS. You'll see the One X shifting into the position currently held by the One S.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard credible rumors that despite winning awards for its single-player title Hellblade, Ninja Theory is, in fact, working on some sort of multiplayer game, in a similar vein to For Honor or Absolver. I'm not sure how true that one is, so we'll have to wait and see. I've also heard that Rare is working on another multiplayer game, alongside Sea of Thieves, which may come as a disappointment to those expecting a return to Banjo Kazooie or Conker. Still, there's no reason Rare wouldn't be able to outsource and contribute those IPs, similarly to what they're doing with Battletoads and Dlala Studios. I expect we'll see the new Battletoads in some form, even if it is brief.

Microsoft will show off a new Forza Horizon 4 expansion at E3 2019, and I've heard that rather than being location-based, it will be another brand-oriented partnership in a similar vein to the Hot Wheels DLC. If you were a fan of Hot Wheels, you should be pleased with what Playground is bringing to the table here, if what I've heard is true.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I'm all for the iterative console cycle without hard generation lines. On the other, while I love my Xbox One X, I really feel like developers aren't making the most of the hardware beyond 4K support. With a new generation I really want to see developers flex. Will that happen with this iterative approach? Hmm.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be clear, is this just for first-party games or does this also include third-party games?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to allow for 4k60+ on the high end next Xbox would be my guess.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a really bad move. I guess you can profile to a degree, but you're constraining what's possible with the new console really.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I just feel sorry for devs like Ubisoft who are gonna have to develop for like 10 Consoles & have the Xbox One as the baseline, harsh. faster we move to next gen only the better, but obviously the current gen install base can't be ignored.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
At first I thought they just meant Scarlett+PC but the y explicitly mention XBox One. I don't think it's a good idea to drag cross gen stuff along for too long, they're just gonna fall behind on the "what console has the prettiest exclusives" race like they did this gen...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why would they have exclusive third party games if their own first party games aren't exclusive? lol
I was thinking of Capcom fighting games for next-gen consoles if we get something like Street Fighter VI in Early 2022, namely because Capcom doesn't typically do cross-gen for their fighting games.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Probably the worst move for next-gen. Microsoft needs to sell as many next-gen Xbox as possible, as quickly as possible. If there is only cross-gen games for years, people who have a Xbox One won't uprade (or will choose a PlayStation 5, which will have exclusives since launch), so the next Xbox will have a bad reputation and won't be able to change it.

I can absolutely understand the interest to give players ONE cross-gen game at launch (Halo: Infinite). But for years? This is pure nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
We've been talking about this for a few years now. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad decision ultimately, but it does fit MS current ethos of getting your games out to as many potential buyers as possible.

Oct 30, 2017
Good. I just upgraded from a launch XB1 to an XB1X. I'd love to get some mileage out of it without feeling the need to upgrade again.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
imagine starting the production fo a new game now while still being bound to the limitations of an outdated hardware,
while the new hardware won't sell enough as it brings nothing new and exclusive.. for years !
Meanwhile on the other side.. a ps5 with tempting exclusives...

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
This is terrible but then again its up to the 3rd parties. We've seen MS first party output this gen so I can't see that changing in a year.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This makes sense in an era where smartphone upgrade schemes are the norm and game development prices have ballooned. With no longer live in an era of "drop everything and start over". It's too risky and expensive to do that anymore.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. There will definitely be 3rd party Next gen only titles. I think the cross-generation talk applies to 1P. anyways E3 can't come soon enough. 10 days :)

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Would be fine if they could stop support for base consoles like Xbox One and PS4 and the new baseline is One X and PS4 Pro. But that would be too confusing for consumers.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the worst move for next-gen. Microsoft needs to sell as many next-gen Xbox as possible, as quickly as possible.
Like, yes that would be nice, but I'm not even sure it's the game they are playing anymore. Hardware is one piece of the pie. Everything they are moving towards with collaboration with other companies, opening up on PC, etc, leads me to think they want it this way.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably the worst move for next-gen. Microsoft needs to sell as many next-gen Xbox as possible, as quickly as possible. If there is only cross-gen games for years, people who have a Xbox One won't uprade (or will choose a PlayStation 5, which will have exclusives since launch), so the next Xbox will have a bad reputation and won't be able to change it.

I can absolutely understand the interest to give players ONE cross-gen game at launch (Halo: Infinite). But for years? This is pure nonsense.
No, they don't. Have you not been paying attention to what Microsoft is doing?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
What?

It's the best decision for us. It becomes our choice when to upgrade and to which performance level.
And it means devs are forced to make all their games run on 2013 hardware, which had dated CPUs even when they first launched. So new games on PS5 and Nextbox can't use SSDs and the 10x CPU leap to push gameplay design and AI - they can only use them to make current gen quality games run at higher frame rates and resolutions. It's a terrible decision if true.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I was thinking of Capcom fighting games for next-gen consoles if we get something like Street Fighter VI in Early 2022, namely because Capcom doesn't typically do cross-gen for their fighting games.
1st party only 3rd party will decide whenever they won't to exclude legacy consoles

This is talking about platform exclusive games, not third party games in general. I think you guys are reading "generation exclusive" when third parties do whatever they see fit for their games.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? I'm kinda glad, as long as the difference in power is there to hit 4k/60 (or above, my TV can take 4k/120 dammit!) on the bigger brother. I'll be there on one of the consoles day 1 if that is the case.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
For at least a few years, games will ship on both the Xbox One consoles and on the new Scarlett consoles, as is typically the case during a generational transition.

A few years isn't typical of a generational transition, unless the cross-gen game situation is going to get even worse next gen.