• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

www.windowscentral.com

Halo Infinite: 343i increases XP gains for Battle Pass progression

This change will make leveling up much easier.
In response to these issues, 343 Industries' Community Manager, John "Unyshek" Junyszek, has announced that the developers are increasing how much XP players earn during their first six matches each day. Players will get 300 XP for playing their first match, 200 XP for playing a second and third match, and 100 XP for playing a fourth, fifth, and sixth match. Any further matches played that day will reward 50 XP. This change will make it much easier for players to rank up their Battle Pass, as they'll get a full level each day just by playing six matches (each Battle Pass level requires 1,000 XP).

While there are still numerous other systems that can be fixed (Such as the actual challenges players are presented with). I think this change goes a long way in helping out everyone. With the holidays and more coming up, I don't expect we'll be seeing a full turn-around on the system (As this obviously takes time) but it feels 343 is seriously listening to feedback. So hopefully as time goes on we see things such as updated customization and the other features people want to be fixed as well.

Last edited:

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
This is still so much worse than any other major game with a battle pass. I feel like they only want people to reach tier 100 at the end of the season. But there's not enough decent rewards in the pass to stretch out that long and feel rewarding.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
I dont know if taken seriously is doing this change. Progression is Broken and this only benefits new players

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
This is still so much worse than any other major game with a battle pass. I feel like they only want people to reach tier 100 at the end of the season. But there's not enough decent rewards in the pass to stretch out that long and feel rewarding.
Is it though? I played Apex and after the weeklies it took a long time to level up once. This is 6 games only.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

They definitely want BP's to last longer than other games (Which is fine). I do think if they want to do that they'll need to open things up more. As time goes on, people are going to want to mix and match cores and the items. That would actually help a lot with the "limited rewards" in a BP since a cool item you don't like on one core might be what you want to see on another.

Right now the entire system is FAR too restrictive. I shouldn't have to buy a paint job for only one item that I can't use on others. At minimum it should be all Armor Paint Jobs are shared and separately from that, all Weapon Paints are shared.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
All this drama is reminding me of Apex Legends Season 1 Battle Pass and how bad it was lol

Is Halo Infinite system actually worse than Apex legends S1?

This is still so much worse than any other major game with a battle pass.

You never played Dota 2 or purchased its Battlepass then lol

Some of the rewards there were crazy and you had to spend money to get the good stuff since one game of Dota 2 can last up to 1 hour and if you lose you get "Nothing".

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
As another banfaid fix, it's ok. Hope they'll nail whatever rework they implement.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Good that they're committing to larger changes, according to the last tweet, even if it will take time!

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
With the new system it ain't bad since these never expire. I think another big problem is the actual content in these passes. Tons of filler with XP Boosters/Challenge Swaps and paint colors that are almost identical. With Fornite you get many unique skins with alternates you can unlock. Feels worse that everything is tied to cores.

Jan 4, 2018

I'm personally looking forward the career progression system that they're working on (but I believe they said they need more time to implement it properly).

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I think the actual content of the battlepass is better than Apex first three season (Did not play past that).

Honestly i don't remember one developer nailing their first Battle Pass with worthy content, save for the first one ever implemented by Dota 2 and that time GabeN greed was still nowhere to be seen.....but after that oh boy open that wallet for the good stuff.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Great first step. it's nice to know they are looking into other issues as well fixing the balancing in ranked matches.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Finally got Halo Infinite to work by using the Steam install instead of the Xbox app one and I immediately saw the progression issues everyone was talking about.

Glad it's no longer 20 matches for a single level but you still unlock fuck all on the free battle pass tier. Doesn't bother me, at this point I'm more in it for the gameplay than how my Spartan looks but I can totally see why people are bummed out about the cosmetics and progression.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely want BP's to last longer than other games (Which is fine). I do think if they want to do that they'll need to open things up more. As time goes on, people are going to want to mix and match cores and the items. That would actually help a lot with the "limited rewards" in a BP since a cool item you don't like on one core might be what you want to see on another.

Right now the entire system is FAR too restrictive. I shouldn't have to buy a paint job for only one item that I can't use on others. At minimum it should be all Armor Paint Jobs are shared and separately from that, all Weapon Paints are shared.
Cross core customization is already fully supported, it's just arbitrarily locked off on the user end.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully we'll eventually get a decent progression system.

I really hope we get the option to pick modes soon though, I really just wanna play slayer.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's a start. A very very simple one, but at least something.

With all the 1000 problems this game has, this fixes at least one thing and that's that after I was done with the weeklies after 2 days, I had zero reason to play for the rest of the week, 50XP a match wasn't even worth a boot up. This literally happened last week for me.

Now I have at least one reason to come back daily and play a hand full of matches and that's great.

Now, 999 problems left to fix.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Haha it's so bad oh god I can't stop playing Halo and I bought my first battle pass in years these morons.

Seriously though, I'm glad they are continuing to make changes.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to know why they are so against just rewarding good play first, and then having the challenges as small bonuses?
Have each win be 100 - 200XP, and then if you get 5 Disruptor kills, get an extra 50 - 100XP?

In it's current state, Quick Play is just:
"Hold on guys, I'm gonna throw for 10 minutes while I try and stick a guy for my challenges"

It actively works against the flow of the game, and I'd bet it's the reason a lot of people don't play the objective in Strongholds/Oddball/CTF.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly care more about them fixing the playlists more than the BP progression. I would care less about it if I could just play the game modes that I want. I'm so sick of it being tied to just 2 playlists right now.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Great first step. it's nice to know they are looking into other issues as well fixing the balancing in ranked matches.

The team balancing in matchmaking just seems utterly entreched in every competitive MP game. Has anyone ever actually managed to fix this?

Basically I don't really care about battle passes but my time with Halo so far is either the matches are 10/10 when everyone is similar skill level or just awful when there's a player or two in each team just way above everyone else. The scores still might be close but a couple of guys are getting every kill. I just don't get why I need to play with them.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
With all the 1000 problems this game has, this fixes at least one thing and that's that after I was done with the weeklies after 2 days, I had zero reason to play for the rest of the week, 50XP a match wasn't even worth a boot up. This literally happened last week for me.
This is a weird complaint to me. So you only play when you can do steady progression? Ok, but now instead of playing only twice a week you will play every day but instead of playing most of the season you're only gonna play for like a month and then you finish the battlepass so you're out? And at the end of the day you're gonna play less because you got xp more efficiently.

Anyway this just reminds me that we should have spartan rank in the game.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
uoe9sk2sfn281.jpg

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I just want to know why they are so against just rewarding good play first, and then having the challenges as small bonuses?
Have each win be 100 - 200XP, and then if you get 5 Disruptor kills, get an extra 50 - 100XP?

"Hold on guys, I'm gonna throw for 10 minutes while I try and stick a guy for my challenges"

It actively works against the flow of the game, and I'd bet it's the reason a lot of people don't play the objective in Strongholds/Oddball/CTF.

I actually think it might slightly be due to the Bot Playlist. You can get achievements and XP from that mode.
So disregarding the specifics they'd need to iron out on rewarding play, they might be worried about how quickly people might be able to iron it out in that mode. Which the obvious answer might be "Well just disable it from that mode" but I imagine they figure that'll open its own can of worms.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird complaint to me. So you only play when you can do steady progression? Ok, but now instead of playing only twice a week you will play every day but instead of playing most of the season you're only gonna play for like a month and then you finish the battlepass so you're out? And at the end of the day you're gonna play less because you got xp more efficiently.

Anyway this just reminds me that we should have spartan rank in the game.
Gaming. Gaming had changed.

edit: but yeah this progression talk is boring, I wish they fixed the lower fps animations :p since that actually impact gameplay feel.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The challenges being anti teamwork with a game that primarily has objective based game modes and no way to pick, is still the biggest issue to me.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
I've been getting a level and a half a day on 50xp a match, this will change my progression pace a lot.

It's a nice stop measure until they can get something that rewards effort vs channeling players in farming challenges.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Great stuff. They have been pretty fast with reacting and changing stuff. First day back after the holiday break and we get some more changes.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The challenges being anti teamwork with a game that primarily has objective based game modes and no way to pick, is still the biggest issue to me.

I definitely expect this will be changed as disregarding any "progression" talk. It's a serious issue.
IMO, either drop stuff like that or make those challenges all doable in bot mode. Since anyone who would want to ground those out would play that mode and leave others alone.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This is a weird complaint to me. So you only play when you can do steady progression? Ok, but now instead of playing only twice a week you will play every day but instead of playing most of the season you're only gonna play for like a month and then you finish the battlepass so you're out?

Basically, yes. I love progression, I love to participate in events and work towards a goal, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm also playing like 2 or 3 other games with Battle Passes/Seasons and it's kind of a relief when you finally finish one and you have a little time off till the next one, but that's besides the point.
The problem here was that you had literally zero reason to play this game once you finished the weeklies and with like 10 new interesting games releasing each month (February will kill me) with some of them also being time eating mega grinds, I need to separate what I spend my time with somehow. I'm currently juggling between Halo, Dead by Daylight, Sky, Forza Horizon 5 (and these are only the Passes/Season games), FF14 addon is coming this week, Farming Simulator, Animal Crossing and then normal games to play through like I'm still in the middle of GTA San Andreas.
So if Halo doesn't give me any reason to come back after the weeklies, not even the slightest daily reason, then sorry, you're out till the next weeklies. 🤷‍♂️

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
This is so false lol

I mostly play Apex, Fortnite and Rocket League. I can max out those battle passes pretty easy by grinding in the weekends, y'know, when I have time to play with friends. By awarding xp for actually playing the game and doing well.

In Halo, it's still only by challenges and playing matches each day. While these changes are good, it's not going to be possible for me to max it out in a reasonable time around my schedule, I have to play everyday. This isn't true for the other games I play.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Good change. The fact they're seriously listening to feedback and making these changes quite rapidly, and will be continuing to make changes too, make me positive for the future of Infinite. Fingers crossed the first season just has these teething problems with progression.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's enough. Honestly the challenges cause me to play like an asshole and not be a good team player. I find myself purposely not finishing my kills because I need assists. Not caring about the results of the match and just trying to get kills with shit weapons I have challenges for. I decided to just stop playing til it's sorted.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

I understand why armor cores are locked to some extent. At a certain point, per-piece customization ends up being a nightmare to support across months and seasons and years of options. Having them be in separate cores probably allows their artists to worry about a much smaller subset of options working together.

That said... ronin spartan with cat ears DOES SOUND AWESOME. As for shared paints across cores, definitely agree. I don't mind there being a set of "premium" coatings that are locked to specific cores that can kinda go all out, but the vast majority of paints should absolutely be a simple system that works across all armors. That will probably take some work to implement, depending on how they've made the system.

They'll probably do this when they implement the overall spartan rank system sometime in the future. Since that will be purely for a meaningless number, with no monetary implications (probably), they'll be free to reward points for whatever they deem worthwhile. That will satisfy the "progression" itch. But, that's a separate issue from "the stuff in the battle pass sucks", which is something that they just need time and people to work on (which, OF COURSE, will take time).

I don't think it's enough. Honestly the challenges cause me to play like an asshole and not be a good team player. I find myself purposely not finishing my kills because I need assists. Not caring about the results of the match and just trying to get kills with shit weapons I have challenges for. I decided to just stop playing til it's sorted.
The challenges definitely need work. But.. can't you just.. not look at the challenges?

The only time it shows you challenges that you don't specifically go to look for is after a match, in my experience. Unless there's somewhere else where they shove it in your face? If you want to engage and they're bad challenges, I def get that. But if you don't want to engage with them.. you really don't have to.

Last edited:

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I mostly play Apex, Fortnite and Rocket League. I can max out those battle passes pretty easy by grinding in the weekends, y'know, when I have time to play with friends. By awarding xp for actually playing the game and doing well.

In Halo, it's still only by challenges and playing matches each day. While these changes are good, it's not going to be possible for me to max it out in a reasonable time around my schedule, I have to play everyday. This isn't true for the other games I play.
Even before this change you could easily max out the battlepass by just playing on weekends and using your xp boosts.