• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Source : https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-patents-xbox-braille-controller-visually-impaired-gamers

ecbed013-dc1e-4546-9948-041f18b0887f.jpeg

The Braille panel in the back seems to constantly adjust itself, so that gamers who are blind or have other visual impairments can read the text through the back of the controller. That's not all though, the patent says that the controller will also be able to convert speech to Braille, allowing users to communicate in chat or when they're livestreaming.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so great, Microsoft really pushing gaming ahead for those who are not able to game like the average gamer, either because of impairments and disabilities (see this or the adaptive controller), money (xCloud, Game Pass allow for cheaper gaming without necessarily committing to a hardware), or because their buddies are playing on different platforms (the push for crossplay).

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really awesome. I am loving the accessibility initiatives by Microsoft this generation.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty damn cool. I need to see this in action. I was literally thinking last night about different ways to do dynamic braille with technology (I was mostly thinking about haptics though). Really weird.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Um... how is someone visually impaired going to see what's going on on the screen though?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
keep up the good work on making it easier for more people to play

Sightless Kombat
OP
OP
JINX

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Adaptive controller and now this. Microsoft is truly doing some amazing stuff.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Um... how is someone visually impaired going to see what's going on on the screen though?

Obviously this isn't for "blind" people (only), but for people with bad eyes as well. My mother can't read subs on tv for example, but she sees enough of the picture to understand what's going on.

Anyway, it's amazing that Microsoft is doing this. Kudos!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice one. I would love to see more corporations take on stuff like this. The adaptive controller is an amazing product and this will probably end up being be just as unique and intuitive. Great job MS. Hope it makes it to retail.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The power of sound and vibration.

This, plus in certain instances - like the Killer Instinct example provided in this threat - there's enough limitations on movement in some games that one can get through them.

If Microsoft brings this stuff to market, I would honestly argue that they'd made the most significant changes to the medium this generation.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
If they're blind, they won't. Doesn't mean they can't play games, though. This is a nice story about a blind player beating Ocarina of Time. (Link.)

The more non-visual resources made available, the less of an improbable challenge that becomes.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What the fuck? How does this work? Do developers need to add anything into the games or does it work out of the box? Regardless this is cool as shit.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That's damn interesting, and great for impaired gamers.

MS will make a good chunk of profit out of it too, they're not exactly a charity.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck? How does this work? Do developers need to add anything into the games or does it work out of the box? Regardless this is cool as shit.

Xbox already has built into its settings an accessibility mode for visually impaired folk that translates in-game text to voice. I would imagine that this is just adapting that to register the brail triggers instead of saying the words. Very cool!

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dont think that will make better or easier, the communication is faster and easier by voice

my blind friend played lots of games all designed with sound and voices, i remember he used to play a bunch of adventure games and one dungeon crawler rpg, and he showed me one guy that played a version of flight simulator.

some aaa games would be easy to adapt to blind people, like until dawn, detroit and other adventure games

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
It'd be really impressive if they manage to put that into a controller, and could possibly see wider usage than just gaming. Other Braille communication devices are huge and noisy so this is pretty cool if they can pull it off

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Xbox already has built into its settings an accessibility mode for visually impaired folk that translates in-game text to voice. I would imagine that this is just adapting that to register the brail triggers instead of saying the words. Very cool!
That's super cool! I knew they had the adaptive controller but didn't realize they were already taking more steps outside of that. That's fantastic.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
i dont think that will make better or easier, the communication is faster and easier by voice

my blind friend played lots of games all designed with sound and voices, i remember he used to play a bunch of adventure games and one dungeon crawler rpg, and he showed me one guy that played a version of flight simulator.

some aaa games would be easy to adapt to blind people, like until dawn, detroit and other adventure games

I think part of this would be the benefit of having a functional 'text' to go along with any speech from a game. If you're not clear on the way something has been said, you can have the braille to help affirm what it was.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool, hoping that it would be an open standard and work with other devices like the accessibility controller.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The design in the image actually looks more like something that could attach to an existing controller

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Sorry, I can't condone this in case it gives someone an unfair advantage in Sekiro.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
This and the Adaptive Controller have been pretty awesome news from Xbox/MS.

Also, this controller seems to have 6 paddles instead of the usual 4 that the Elite controller has? Could that be a hint for the next controller?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I once interviewed this kid who'd play 2D fighting games like Injustice and UMVC3 despite being 100% blind since birth. He would know that his hits were connecting through sound. It was really amazing to watch him play.

He'd also play 3D games with his father giving him navigational guidance.

I love these accessibility efforts by Microsoft. I wish Sony and Nintendo would start offering official support for their controllers.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may have a LOT of shit to criticize Microsoft for, but their accessibility stuff isn't one of them. Great job there.