• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.windowscentral.com

New Seagate 512 GB Xbox Series X|S storage cards leak via U.S. retail promos

New storage options are on the way.

It seems Seagate will begin promoting their new 512GB Xbox storage expansion card from as early as next week, as promotional materials have begun showing up in U.S. retailers. In addition to the 512GB expansion card which essentially boosts your internal storage, Seagate is also gearing up to offer a USB-based SSD deep storage solution, which will allow you to store games separately from the internal storage pool. While you won't be able to run new-gen games from this USB-based expansion, moving them from the USB SSD to your internal SSD will be faster than downloading them all over again, potentially.
new-seagate-storage-2021.png

Wanting for the Madcatz drive myself

Last edited:

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Going the wrong way for me. Really hoping we see a 2TB option next year. I know the 1TB won't last me the generation.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
My base XSX is holding 63 games at the moment with another 70GB of space still available. I'm also blessed with a great wired connection so I can't imagine needing this anytime soon, but it's great for those that need the extra space I suppose!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nice option for more price sensitive owners, particularly Series S owners who can double their internal storage space with this.

These cards are great, really recommended.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Question on these, can you clone data to a the SSD on the device?

I have two Xboxes so that would be handy.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I really don't get how there is a market for these. You can get some incredibly beefy external storage of quite cheap. Swapping games form internal memory to external takes 10 minutes or less most of the time.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I really don't get how there is a market for these. You can get some incredibly beefy external storage of quite cheap. Swapping games form internal memory to external takes 10 minutes or less most of the time.

Some people just want to hoard and have everything at the ready even if there is next to no chance they'll ever play it. It's a bad habit you have to teach yourself to get out of. Also might come in handy for those with slow internet or caps as im not sure games are kept up to date if they're on a usb storage drive.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This seems like a no brainer for more hardcore Series S owners if the price is right. For me personally, I'm waiting for a 2 TB. My Series X with a 1 TB card is always teetering on the edge of filling up and I'm tired of deleting and redownloading stuff, so I welcome more storage.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That's good for people who want to save money I guess but it's not enough space to really be useful for me, personally. I'm surprised we haven't seen the 1TB cards get a price cut yet.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'll never not be suprised by the number of people clamoring to spend $400+ on 2TB of storage.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, who makes the current ones that they sell? I just assumed they had already partnered with a manufacturer to make those.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I have a variety of game types and sizes on my series x, sitting at 10 right now and still have around 200gb free. So that seems fine for me. If these are at 100 bucks tho i would probably pick one up.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
If they can get this below $100, which should be where it falls. I'll pick it up.

I say it will be 99.99 or even 129.99 or close to that,no way under 100 yet...might grab one at 100,I have an external USB right now of 1 TB plus the internal on the XSX and I manage pretty good,I have close to 50 games all together...and thats with games I should uninstall,like Rage 2 etc...

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Nice to start seeing other options out there. Hopefully there will eventually be other manufacturers so there's some competition.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Seagate have an exclusivity deal on the expansion cards up to a certain point, right?

I hope so. The 1TB card price is appalling in Canada ($279 when a 1TB PCIE 4.0 NVME that works in PS5 is $189).

To be fair to Xbox, the cards are regularly selling out for the most part. I can only assume this expensive price is because of the exclusivity.

Oct 27, 2017

Have you seen how impatient people can be at fast food restaurants? I've seen people in near brawls because their fries took 4 minutes to serve.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
So an SSD dedicated for just warzone and cod, nice.
Hopefully they get a 2tb option for the enthusiasts.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I say it will be 99.99 or even 129.99 or close to that,no way under 100 yet...might grab one at 100,I have an external USB right now of 1 TB plus the internal on the XSX and I manage pretty good,I have close to 50 games all together...and thats with games I should uninstall,like Rage 2 etc...
I'm counting $99.99 as below 100

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These cards look so good, will definitely pick one up, simple and sleak.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Going the wrong way for me. Really hoping we see a 2TB option next year. I know the 1TB won't last me the generation.

Yeah this... My series x was full basically a month within getting it. Do I have to download a shit ton of game pass games? No. Do I want to? Yes hahahaha.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Great news. 512 GB is perfect. I have currently 19 Series X optimized game on my console and 512 GB would allow for 7 or 8 more games. More than enough space for all the games I wanna play in the next few months.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
This is a great option for people that want a little extra storage and don't (or can't) want to break the bank. Options are great.

That being said a 2TB or even higher option should exist as well. Hopefully they're working on it for those of us that want it.