Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The delay of next-generation consoles appears to be inching closer to reality, according to a new report from games industry research firm, DFC Intelligence. With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, better known as coronavirus, we're seeing record industry impact, following the cancellation of top conferences likes GDC and E3 2020, and various product delays. Supply chain issues instigated by coronavirus may also hit Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, during prime time for both platform holders.

A newly-published DFC Intelligence statement, as reported by Forbes, suggests a "strong likelihood" of delay to one or both upcoming flagship consoles.

"Coronavirus is likely to have a major short-term impact on the delivery of both systems," states DFC. "There is a strong likelihood one or both systems will not make a 2020 launch. If the systems do launch, supply will likely be constrained and initial pricing could be higher than expected."

www.windowscentral.com

'Strong likelihood' of Xbox Series X delay to 2021, says analyst

Yet another report suggests Microsoft and Sony struggle to overcome challenges posed by coronavirus.

At this rate this wouldn't surprise anyone even myself.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well yeah anyone that's been paying attention knows it's possible.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not saying it's impossible and the electronics supply chain is complex..

But I just got 4 containers worth of board games out of China and our logistics department is one human working with 3 small factories.

I think they can figure this out. China is coming out the other side.

Now a delay because software can't be finished in Japan/North America/Europe in time is possible as well if everyone loses a month of work.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
That wouldn't surprise me to be honest given how wide the impact of the virus is.

Sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but we'll see. Lives are more important at the end of the day.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
If the virus continues on like this, I hope they delay it. Public health is more important than a new console.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
A literal assload of games available to play right now

They can delay it for 2 years and I still won't ever catch up on my backlog/list before new gen games come

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The way the economy is looking they might need to delay it because people will still be catching up on bills come holiday time

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Sure it's possible but as far as the official news go china is ramping up production from week to week.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of reason, they stand to make more money by doing this, rather than releasing it while people's budgets have grown tighter due to the virus

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what I expected.

- Even though factories are getting back in shape the economy will be such that the consoles might end up being more expensive than MS and especially Sony want.

- Developers might have to work from home which isn't ideal and will cause delays for launch titles

- Holding launch events for the new consoles might be impossible or even banned given how things are later in the year

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Would suck but better safe than sorry! And at least it would still be less of a wait compared to last generation's wait.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lives first before games so this is a good idea. Also isn't the manufacturing cost really high?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is a good thing. It's better to wait until things go back to normal before worrying about things like console release dates. Nintendo has shown that a March launch can work well, so if they go to Q1 they can still do well too without having to take needless risks because of the virus.

Who knows - maybe it could result in further improvements to the consoles than we would've otherwise gotten. It also means more time to save money for the systems for those who haven't saved up yet. There are also still plenty of great games on the current gen systems with many more to come (Ghosts of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, etc).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm happy with this, people need to be put first and I don't really feel like next gen is needed right now anyway

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Fine by me. I won't be able to get into next gen for a while anyway. Also it will hopefully give some of those devs a little extra time to polish the launch games.

Aug 26, 2018
#livesfirst

But isn't China opening up most of its factories since cases there are subsiding? I mean companies like Apple have already opened most of their stores in China.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020 man, you'll go down as a shitty year

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
That's fine. Makes sense why we haven't got PlayStation Meeting or equivalent reveal for the PS5 even though it's mid March already.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Are they still being made by Uighurs against their will?
If so, then fuck next gen.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It completely depends how long this pandemic goes on. If the world is largely back to normal by May, I don't foresee Microsoft or Sony delaying production.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between manufacturing delays, game delays due to employees working remotely, and the economy likely taking a nosedive, it's pretty safe to say new consoles will be arriving in 2021.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
You're comparing getting some board games shipped to manufacturing and shipping of complex electronic devices?

No, I literally said electronics are more complex logistics pipeline than board games in my post. That said I am still coordinating parts from multiple factories from multiple parts of China which indicates that factories across China are reopened and at pretty decent capacity

I just work with Chinese factories all day, but I guess I'll just go fuck off and not share information I have.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they will do with games like Halo Infinite... say the XSX is delayed... the game will likely still be ready and could ship on PC, X1X and X1S.. they might have to to save their financial quarter.

But at this point I am pretty much expecting a delay for both systems.... crazy times.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
isnt foxconn already open and active again? i dont think there will be as many stock issues (well, more so than usual stock shortage for a new console) as everyone seems to think.

www.foxbusiness.com

Apple gets good news: Foxconn’s Chinese factories are running again

Apple iPhone assembler Foxconn Technology has resumed production at its mainland China factories.

www.theverge.com

Foxconn expects to resume normal production by end of March

The iPhone maker could be back to full strength by April as new cases of the coronavirus fall in China.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they will do with games like Halo Infinite... say the XSX is delayed... the game will likely still be ready and could ship on PC, X1X and X1S.. they might have to to save their financial quarter.

But at this point I am pretty much expecting a delay for both systems.... crazy times.
nah, they would absolutely delay the game to launch with Series X.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would not be surprised. Glad I held on to my Pro and did not sell it as I originally planned.