• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.windowscentral.com/why-xbox-game-pass-nintendo-switch-and-other-systems-smart

I've also heard games like Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead may be test-cases for the new Xbox Live SDK for third-party developers, which will facilitate Xbox Live-services on Nintendo Switch and mobile devices, features which were previously restricted to Microsoft internal titles like Minecraft.

While we already have a thread on this article (and a good amount on xCloud on Switch in general) this was something I felt was worth highlighting (but feel free to report for lock if that isn't the case) as it has largely been glossed over in favor of general discussion of xCloud that the story covers. With so much talk in the Direct-Feed thread about what the native port of Ori means for Microsoft titles on Switch outside of streaming, hearing that the ports are potentially born of proof for third-party devs—neither studio is owned by Microsoft—is interesting. Perhaps the ports aren't as significant a sign of things to come as some folk were taking them to be.

Either or, If the above quote is true, that may mean we'll hear about the ports sometime before or during GDC next month as pitching that SDK to developers is one of Microsoft's sponsored panels for the conference. Though with neither game supports online multiplayer (currently) you would have to figure, to really demonstrate the development kit, crossplay would need to be shown as well. Perhaps there are more games being looked at or maybe the online co-op component for Cuphead is finally coming down the pipe as well.

Main components of the SDK (as seen in Minecraft) are...
  • Xbox Live accounts
  • Achievements
  • Cross-play
  • Cross-progression
  • Single purchase of DLC (most content tied to one purchase regardless of platform)

With that and the xCloud presentation at GDC perhaps this March could be a lot more exciting for game news than we're used to.

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a real Sophie's Choice for me if I can play games like Cuphead on my Switch... but need to make an Xbox Live account to do so.

Jul 20, 2018
All I know is I hope these rumors are true because I want to play Ori and Cuphead but I don't have an Xbox or Windows PC.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
What I don't particularly understand is the reference to Cuphead. In my recollection Cuphead was self-published and the IP is still owned by StudioMDHR and it is XBox exclusive because they got a lot of support from the Indie people at XBox and thus kinda pay it back via staying exclusive. So it is strange to see it thrown around as an IP MS has full control of.
Ori on the other hand I could totally see getting a release on Switch because it seems for these smaller MS 1st party titles they are not too fuzzed about publishing them on other platforms outside of the XBox ecosystem (see all the Steam releases of their smaller games on PC, most of which do not feature significant online multiplayer).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if MS could have negotiated that Xbox Live purchases of these games carry over to Switch. Hard to imagine Nintendo going for that, but maybe if MS were flexible enough.

Oct 27, 2017
So does that mean Switch Online and Xbox Live would just merge in the future?

On one side, good for Switch users who would finally get a competent online component, on the other side there is no telling what complications this could bring...

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, interesting that Cuphead could be one of the titles in this program. While Microsoft did pay up for exclusivity, it's not a first party title since is owned and published by MDHR

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I don't particularly understand is the reference to Cuphead. In my recollection Cuphead was self-published and the IP is still owned by StudioMDHR and it is XBox exclusive because they got a lot of support from the Indie people at XBox and thus kinda pay it back via staying exclusive. So it is strange to see it thrown around as an IP MS has full control of.
Ori on the other hand I could totally see getting a release on Switch because it seems for these smaller MS 1st party titles they are not too fuzzed about publishing them on other platforms outside of the XBox ecosystem (see all the Steam releases of their smaller games on PC, most of which do not feature significant online multiplayer).
MS likely negotiated with Studio MDHR to make this happen, if this is true.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

With both Moon Studios and StudioMDHR being independent it would make sense to approach them to get feedback on how the Xbox Live SDK works on Switch. I don't think anyone is saying Microsoft directed StudioMDHR into doing the port, just that it would have to be something they'd have to allow going off what we know about the exclusivity of the game.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This all sounds so good, that I can't help be really skeptical about it.

But then there aren't many websites I trust as much as Windows Central when it comes to stories like this. Their sources are incredibly reliable.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
battleoads will probably be a local port as well. the devs are a multi platform developer. And a lot of Microsoft's games run on Unreal as well, so who knows.

i didn't think Microsoft would spend the resources to make local games but its nice to see.

gnilres

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how much credit to give to the recent rumors but Ori is the Xbox killer app for me to buy one so if it comes to Switch I'd be ecstatic.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
MDHR is highly unlikely to say no to the massive market of Switch, especially with MS blessing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This seems on one hand brilliant but on another insane from my point of view.

On one hand, it would probably take a miracle of an exclusive project to get me to by MS hardware. So by releasing games on switch, this is the only way they have to sell games to me (that I am plenty interested in, but not enough to pick up a system).

On the other, this would pretty much solidify me never buying MS hardware for the near future. I'd have zero reason to.

Oct 26, 2017
With both Moon Studios and StudioMDHR being independent it would make sense to approach them to get feedback on how the Xbox Live SDK works on Switch. I don't think anyone is saying Microsoft directed StudioMDHR into doing the port, just that it would have to be something they'd have to allow going off what we know about the exclusivity of the game.

Nope! Moon is owned by MS:

Moon Studios is an independent video game development studio, founded in 2010 by Thomas Mahler (former Cinematic Artist at Blizzard Entertainment) and Gennadiy Korol (former Senior Graphics Engineer at Animation Lab). The company mainly focuses on highly refined gameplay mechanics within its products and prides itself on an excessive 'iterative polish' process. Moon Studios is a distributed development house: All team members are spread throughout the world, allowing Moon to work with the best and most talented people in the games industry. In 2011, Moon Studios became a Microsoft First Party Developer and is now working on Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

https://www.orithegame.com/moon-studios/

Unless it was worded wrongly.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is nuts, Cuphead on the switch........It's perfect. Seeing Phil on a nintendo direct would be incredible to see.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true, both are excellent games that I would recommend to anybody here who hasnt already played it on XB/PC.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus it's not as if Studio MDHR couldn't agree to do this and still self publish the game on Switch in a mutual agreement with MS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare Replay would be a big undertaking to port over. 1/3 of that game is running off the Xbox 360 emulator for Xbox One so MS wouldn't be able to rely on that and have to port over each of those games natively.
I can't see them getting Xbox 360 emulation working on Switch.
I figure they would just get the N64 games working and call it good. Those are largely the reason a port would be desirable

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
How awesome would it be if MS added the Switch to its play anywhere initiative. Sound great to me...

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God dam, if this is somehow play anywhere I will cry.

Its not like I intend to play this stuff all the time on my switch, but the option to take my xbox games on the go and play it on the Switch is very awesome.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
naamloosyoj1l.png

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Its crazy, how last month i completed Ori on my PC, cause i said to myself (rather play that game on the switch than on my stationary PC) "Ori will never come to the Switch", fast forwarding to today and theirs talk about Ori on the switch. Hopefully there's a chance of the sequel coming to the Switch.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory are at it too, albiet always were intending to release on Switch, but id imagine they'll be using this new SDK with a bunch of features toggled off. Should also mean cross progression and play "should" theoretically be baked into these games.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Mixing streaming and non streaming games in Game Pass for Switch seems like it's be confusing to me.
perhaps. but they will just have to make it clear upfront when you subscribe and when you are browsing the catalog. Seems like a solvable problem. The Xbox group has been really good about explaining the different hardware models of Xbox One and their games on PC. i'd expect them to figure out how to explain it to the masses in a easy to digest manner.