• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like ori and cuphead, but i think its better to provide games which are not so nintendo like for havong even more varierity. My hopes are killer instinct...

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I'm all for it as long as:

1. I don't need an XBL account as I have no desire to make one or care about it.
2. I don't need Gamepass for the same reasons.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It does raise the immediate question of why would I buy an Xbox console by itself when I can play Nintendo games AND Xbox games on Switch?

Before this rumor I was fully focused on get a PS5 and Switch 2. With this rumor if I have gamepass the value of also getting PS5 becomes weaker. Also MS by that future point will be releasing their first party efforts so I'll even have more reason to start considering Xbox/Switch instead of PS5/Switch.

Having an xbox account will matter in determing value because why should anyone pay for that and PSN and NSO?

Noone likes paying for Netflix, Prime Video and HBO together.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Only if you want to play online on XB1.
Cool, thanks for the clarification -- I actually don't know why I have Gold anymore since the GP offerings are so much better, and I rarely play online (nor do I take advantage of too many of the GWG discounts). GP is more expensive, but it's worth it to have such a large library and new releases.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Two things I don't particularly care about in all honesty. Cloud saves should come with NSO anyways. Unless this is a streaming thing.

Hmm.. wondering how that will work. Would they store cloud saves on both Xbox Live and NSO?

After thinking about it, the reason they put these games on the Switch is to get more people in the XBL ecosystem. So a Microsoft account could be mandatory.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
After thinking about it, the reason they put these games on the Switch is to get more people in the XBL ecosystem. So a Microsoft account could be mandatory.

Eh, I don't think that'd fly. I bet, at least for these single player games, it'd be like Minecraft where it's encouraged but not forced to play the base experience.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Hmm.. wondering how that will work. Would they store cloud saves on both Xbox Live and NSO?

Yeah, I'm going to assume the same thing. Trying to extend the reach of the Live ecosystem. Wouldn't make sense otherwise.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This seems on one hand brilliant but on another insane from my point of view.

On one hand, it would probably take a miracle of an exclusive project to get me to by MS hardware. So by releasing games on switch, this is the only way they have to sell games to me (that I am plenty interested in, but not enough to pick up a system).

On the other, this would pretty much solidify me never buying MS hardware for the near future. I'd have zero reason to.

So you went from .01% to .0%? Think with those odds, this strategy by Microsoft sounds like the right one for gamers like yourself.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Keep in mind Ori is a 4 year old game now

However Microsoft would have to be batshit insane to not publish Will of the Wisp under Xbox studios for Switch

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
1) Sony fans angry that Nintendo and MS are collaborating
2) Nintendo fans anger at the potential of Nintendo games showing up on Xbox
3) Die hard Xbox fans who will worry it further dilutes Xbox brand
of course, its all silly
Imagine being such a fanboy you get mad at the thought of your favorite company's games being on an additional video game system.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Yep, I'm guessing they're perfectly happy to have you playing their games and spending time and money in their ecosystem.

Big benefit to Microsoft. Benefits to both Xbox and Nintendo gamers.

Questionable benefits to Nintendo without knowing details. Probably some Game Pass margin goes back to the platform holders based on percentage of time gamers are engaged in that platform.

Total loss for system wars/list wars/plastic wars fanatics or those who make their YouTube living toxically inciting tribal plastic wars. Appears they've thrown away their Xbox jerseys and quitting the game. No loss.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Big benefit to Microsoft. Benefits to both Xbox and Nintendo gamers.

Questionable benefits to Nintendo without knowing details. Probably some Game Pass margin goes back to the platform holders based on percentage of time gamers are engaged in that platform.

Total loss for system wars/list wars/plastic wars fanatics or those who make their YouTube living toxically inciting tribal plastic wars. Appears they've thrown away their Xbox jerseys and quitting the game. No loss.
Yeah, I mentioned this elsewhere (maybe in this thread, I forget), but I think an important benefit that Nintendo will get is players spending even more time on their Switches. That's already a big plus they enjoy now due to the handheld/hybrid nature of the system. More time on the Switch means more exposure to games native to it. Imagine looking through the Game Pass app on Switch and seeing eShop titles that are similar to what is being played via GP, buy-to-own discounts on GP titles, etc. Lots of possibilities that will benefit all parties. I'm quite excited to see how this all plays out.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I hate to spell it out for you, but I'm pretty sure that neither Microsoft or Nintendo give a damn about Banjo. If Smash gets an MS rep, it's probably going to be someone who isn't hilariously irrelevant.
I think having someone like Master Chief on Smash would be a very big deal in the grand scheme of things, and a headline to dominate gaming websites for weeks.

When it comes to the people who actually play (and spend money on) Smash, however, I'd bet Banjo would be a bigger deal, due to the franchise's past exclusivity and the fondness many Nintendo players have for it.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Super Lucky's Tale is also a part of this test batch?

I really hope so.

THQ Nordic-published retail ports of Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition, Cuphead, and Super Lucky's Tale, all with the full XBL integration ala Minecraft and being labeled as Xbox Game Studios games, logo on the back of the boxes and all, would be fucking surreal and I will buy them all twice; each at retail sealed to collect and digitally to play them

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so.

THQ Nordic-published retail ports of Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition, Cuphead, and Super Lucky's Tale, all with the full XBL integration ala Minecraft and being labeled as Xbox Game Studios games, logo on the back of the boxes and all, would be fucking surreal and I will buy them all twice; each at retail sealed to collect and digitally to play them

Baring Ori running at 30fps (and even then that'd just make it a maybe) I'd grab it for sure; I already got it three times, why stop there?

On that not: if the ports are limited to these "smaller" projects that would be a bit of a bummer. There's something about buying a cart with Gears or Halo on it that has an odd appeal even if it was just a one-off before xCloud.

Oct 26, 2017
Baring Ori running at 30fps (and even then that'd just make it a maybe) I'd grab it for sure; I already got it three times, why stop there?

On that not: if the ports are limited to these "smaller" projects that would be a bit of a bummer. There's something about buying a cart with Gears or Halo on it that has an odd appeal even if it was just a one-off before xCloud.

Well Jeux Video looks to point at the big stuff possibly getting native ports as well considering they wouldn't have specified Halo, Forza, and Gears as candidates if they'd just be streamed, which they obviously would be anyway.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
How does the Switch compare in power to the base Xbox One?

Notably weaker. If we use DOOM as a model for comparison...

PS4: Mostly 1080p @-60fps with minor dips
Xbox One: Mostly 828p @-60fps that can dip into the 50s with rare drops into the high 40s.
Switch (Docked) Mosty 612p (with reduced in-game visuals) @-30fps that drops in high combat (though not as bad as it did at launch).

Well Jeux Video looks to point at the big stuff possibly getting native ports as well considering they wouldn't have specified Halo, Forza, and Gears as candidates if they'd just be streamed, which they obviously would be anyway.

I don't put much stock in that rumor as even in the article they seem pretty unsure of it, but there's always a chance!

Last edited:

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Oh... That would be deliciously evil for Microsoft. Take two of your heavy hitters arcade games and make them available on the Switch? So many people would be so happy and have the perfect opening to expand out the store further from there.

Hopefully it does happen since more people need to play Ori and Cuphead.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
I don't know why, I don't like this Xbox-Nintendo contamination.
I should be happy that I get to play games on different platforms, and I understand that is a good thing for both, but... I'm worried.

Not sure what I'm worried about, but I have this ominous feeling of doom hanging around the whole thing.