• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Full article:
www.windowscentral.com

Xbox July 2020 event expectations: Games, event date, and more

We're about to head into July, the month of the big Xbox first-party reveal event. What can we realistically expect?

Halo Infinite:
Although details are vague about what Halo Infinite will actually be like, I've only ever heard positive impressions from trusted sources who have seen the gameplay footage tipped to be shown off in July, which has already been recorded.
The Initiative:
Beyond Halo Infinite, we've heard that The Initiative may be rolling up to showcase their game, after a few years in secrecy. Microsoft's new Santa Monica studio boasts some incredibly impressive industry talent, including the writer of Red Dead Redemption, and the level designer from God of War, led by former Tomb Raider boss Darrel Gallagher. What this all-star developer is working on is anyone's guess at this point, but much like the Halo footage, we've been told to expect great things from this studio.
Date of the event:
Microsoft thus far hasn't given a timeline for the July event, but multiple sources with knowledge of Microsoft's plans suggest that it will fall around the week of July 20.
Xbox Lockhart:
Will there be hardware at the July event? I haven't heard any rumors that we could see the Xbox Series "S" codenamed "Lockhart" at this particular event, although more testing units are heading out to internal staff at Microsoft. The Xbox "Lockhart" console is expected to be a 4TF variant of the 12TF Xbox Series X, with less raw graphics power targeted at 1080p TVs and monitors, in exchange for a lower price.

We're also expecting Lockhart to be disc-less, while matching the Xbox Series X on CPU and SSD power, with some next-gen features albeit at a lower resolution. Some developers are able to target Lockhart right now as of writing, and games built for Microsoft's next-gen developer environment dubbed "GameCore" will have an even more streamlined platform for building Xbox games for multiple SKUs, with minimal changes required. There's a slim chance it could appear in July, but I really feel that Microsoft will wait until they can reliably talk about price before outing Lockhart, since the price point will form a large part of its marketing.
New headphones:
Bangs and Olufson recently revealed they were working on audio accessories for Xbox, which could also appear at the event. They may also be working on the next-gen Xbox headset I've heard about previously. I think Microsoft will want to keep this event firmly focused on games, though, but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Beyond Halo Infinite, we've heard that The Initiative may be rolling up to showcase their game, after a few years in secrecy. Microsoft's new Santa Monica studio boasts some incredibly impressive industry talent, including the writer of Red Dead Redemption, and the level designer from God of War, led by former Tomb Raider boss Darrel Gallagher. What this all-star developer is working on is anyone's guess at this point, but much like the Halo footage, we've been told to expect great things from this studio.

Would rather see a new IP from this team than another Perfect Dark game (zzz)

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
At the end of the month, then the Lockheart event should be at the end of August as well. MS will probably only let us know a week in advance, so let's wait.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at that Halo and Initiative non-news. "We hear these games are super dope. You should definitely be excited for these"

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm in love with the concept art and stuff they've shown from Halo Infinite so far, so I really hope they can deliver on the gameplay front. And for the love of God, have a photo mode.

If they made a new Perfect Dark game it'll likely only be Perfect Dark in name.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Would you be okay with a futuristic spy game if it wasn't called Perfect Dark?

It's honestly jarring to see people wanting something other than PD. It's been so long since the last game it's not held down my anything and may as well be a new IP

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will be there for the new Shadowrun game

I mean one year I'll turn up and they announce it right ? Right ??

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy, but if they did Perfect Dark like a spy movie-esque game, that would be sweet. Are there any games where you're essentially a spy? Maybe you count Hitman?

Jan 4, 2018

- A new Perfect Dark would be a reboot, new developer, new vision, maybe a different genre (depends if it's the DOOM 2016 route or something entirely different from the original title)
- if you've never played PD, it's like playing a new IP
- if you've already played PD, a legendary franchise is returning

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Bangs and Olufson working on peripherals?

They will probably cost multiple times the XSX

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
MS needs to unveil Xbox series S + and price point with eventually. All Sony has to do is wait. The pressure is on MS.

...and you think that Sony doesnt need to release their price eventually?

MS has said that they will not is out of position in terms of power and price.

They have the power crown. I am betting they will have parity with the PS5 in terms of price.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
According to the rumors and this article, Lockhart won't be at this event. It'll likely be revealed in August after Sony reveals their prices.

There is nothing suggesting Sony will reveal the price in August though. Also Lockhart reveal could happen before the rumored Sony event anyway. I think both will wait to the last possible moment like late September.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft will want to keep this event firmly focused on games, though, but we'll have to wait and see.

Would certainly be a welcome change if it was.

On on hand, people are delirious for Dark Souls remake; however, they are slating MS for reviving an IP that hasnt seen a game since 2003..

It's not that hard to understand when you remember that there has yet to be a bad Dark Souls game whereas the last Perfect Dark game was total shit.

It's not exactly unreasonable for people to not want more of that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There is nothing suggesting Sony will reveal the price in August though. Also Lockhart reveal could happen before the rumored Sony event anyway. I think both will wait to the last possible moment like late September.
Seems like the best guess at the moment that they'll reveal the price in their August SoP. MS moving the Lockhart reveal from June to August right after Sony split their event in two definitely makes me think that they're trying to counter Sony.