• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, they literally just ripped the drive out of some One S models and dropped the price. Lol.

They could've at least redesigned the plastic to make the box a little sleeker.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So, they literally just ripped the drive out of some One S models and dropped the price. Lol.

They could've at least redesigned the plastic to make the box a little sleeker.

Not really. That would mean updating the motherboard for the S, which wouldn't be worth it.

The most they could have done with the case is take the chunk out where the drive was.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Ignorance is definitely bliss at times. I love gaming on PC, but sometimes wish I had no idea what framerate was.
thats exactly it. You can find me in the Unity free thread with Ubisoft giving it away, I've been playing around with settings to get 60 fps, sometime peeps just want to play a game, res/ framerate be damn, and it being slighlt less powerful is a shrug.

Oct 25, 2017
Evidently not, or they would've done it. Wouldn't be a total net loss though, as they'd realize some materials savings (however small).
So they can either:
1. Spend money re-designing the system, board, layout, packaging, and having an entirely different manufacturing process

OR

2. Spend little on all of those, have a manufacturing process that basically skips a step, same packaging, and be able to take a harder loss on the sales.

Feb 1, 2018
Would have been interesting if they made it like this:
-smaller
-$199
-media remote instead of controller
-marketed as an apple tv/roku/shield killer; all the streaming apps + tv oneguide + xbox gaming

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, if it had a smaller chassis (read: MS put more effort into making the One SAD), I probably could have been tempted to at least try gaming on it. But, as it stands, this is such an undesireable product, I cannot completely comprehend how they thought that this would pan out. Especially when looking at the included games as well... Uh. This turned out to be a really disappointing package overall in my opinion.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
If we pretend way back in 2013, shareholders and top Xbox brass claiming the digital age is here! We just use disks as keys, you can download everything, game share; etc. It is GONNA BE GREAT! Fast forward to 2019 and that didn't turn out so well.

But..

What if the former Xbox regime promised an all digital Xbox to shareholders and our current group led by Phil had to comply under duress.

Maybe that is why we have the "xbox one S All Digidal Ed.; or maybe they figured the next gen would have external blue Ray drive and if customers really wanted them they would just buy that.

Dunno, board, waiting for E3...

giphy.gif

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, usually you remove the components that isn't used and just leave the soldering pads empty, but it might be more expensive logistically to have two versions of the boards.
Interesting scenario if this means that you can buy a cheap SAD and just plug in any bluray drive and create your own regular Xbox One S. :P

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm, usually you remove the components that isn't used and just leave the soldering pads empty, but it might be more expensive logistically to have two versions of the boards.
Interesting scenario if this means that you can buy a cheap SAD and just plug in any bluray drive and create your own regular Xbox One S. :P
No. Drive is married to the console. Only MS can marry drive and console.