• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I keep looking at that Acer model. I know they only have one left in stock, too. I've heard consistently positive things about it for the price bracket.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I am returning my Lenovo Headset to Microsoft. The clip that holds the wires broke in days of owning it. Also unless you are looking dead on it is blurry as hell. I am going to wait for the next gen version before jumping back in.

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
I am returning my Lenovo Headset to Microsoft. The clip that holds the wires broke in days of owning it. Also unless you are looking dead on it is blurry as hell. I am going to wait for the next gen version before jumping back in.

Sad to hear that about the plastic clip.
But for the bluriness, it really depend of the base setting of the IPD (Inter Pupilliary Distance) and your eyes
You can calibrate it here : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/calibration

I know I was seeing (almost) clearly and my girlfriend had more bluriness, it's all resolved now

Lordji

Oct 30, 2017
Is it really good enough with them being all LCD screens?
How many did they sell since their release compared to Oculus/Vive (any steam data to help maybe)?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really good enough with them being all LCD screens?
How many did they sell since their release compared to Oculus/Vive (any steam data to help maybe)?

Lots of reviews and impressions to suggest they're decent. Much more portable, not needing base stations/cameras set up, not needing as many USB ports etc. Tracking is supposed to be solid, even the controllers - they can lose trackign when behind you but if you only do that occasionally they recover well.

Definitely very good value when discounted. More difficult to quantify the value if they're the same price as the oculus rift

As usual, the US gets discounts on these all the time, Europe hardly ever. Anyway, seems to prove inside out tracking nicely so my hope is that next gen, both Oculus Rift and PSVR use this approach and ditch the cameras. Oculus Santa Cruz does suggest they might.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And as always, no discount whatsoever in Europe :(
It's Microsoft, what did you expect? :P

It's one of their main issues why their products won't take off.

Their phones for instance were far more successful in some countries, but they didn't support those countries and downright dropped them. And then were amazed why their customers were like "Fuck you MS!".

It's sad really, MS has some really good products, but their global marketing is just shitty.

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
These headsets are fine as long as you don't do anything behind your back so Sairento/Robo Recall is off the table. It's all embedded tracking. Also, make sure you get a good Bluetooth adapter if your PC doesn't have Bluetooth in the motherboard. The controllers are BT

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Lenovo set and it's great. It is comfortable and accommodates my glasses and the video quality does not feel budget whatsoever. I appreciate the healthy field of view.

The headset quality is great, and the tracking within the headset's wide cone-of-view is great.

WMR's downside is tracking outside of the headset's come-of-view. If you need way-over-your-head tracking or behind-your-back tracking, WMR isn't for you.

Steam also finally accommodates WMR very well with the April 2018 Windows 10 update.

SikSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Lenovo set and it's great. It is comfortable and accommodates my glasses and the video quality does not feel budget whatsoever. I appreciate the healthy field of view.

The headset quality is great, and the tracking within the headset's wide cone-of-view is great.

WMR's downside is tracking outside of the headset's come-of-view. If you need way-over-your-head tracking or behind-your-back tracking, WMR isn't for you.

Steam also finally accommodates WMR very well with the April 2018 Windows 10 update.

I bought the same headset and I love it. I've tried the Samsung Odyssey, and it's a bit better overall, making the price premium worth it if you have the dollars to invest.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I had hoped this would include the Samsung Odyssey, but alas...

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Having tested most of them in person, don't get the HP. My understanding it's basically Samsung (AMOLED, widest FOV), Dell, then Lenovo. Acer and Asus are pretty good on sale. The HP has the worst FOV and the worst ergonomics (worst as in the the least comfortable out of all of these. Not worst as in it is terrible)

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Acer one and it is good enough.
But VR tech just ain't where it need to be yet... too low resolution and too narrow FoV