• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
6WGngnMpXhnDZHmUcPqzGA-650-80.jpg.webp

Source: WindowsCentral

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League just can't catch a break. Even since this live service looter-shooter from Rocksteady Studios launched back in February 2024, it has been bombarded with harsh criticism from fans and critics for repetitive gameplay, heavy amounts of microtransactions, and disappointing story-telling and characterization.

To compound the game's poor critical reception, SteamDB has shown that the concurrent player base for Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has sunk to an all-time low of 118 players.

o5GW3xVag7m7WsfW5m8j6X-970-80.jpg

To get an idea of what Suicide Squad's future might look like, you could consider Marvel's Avengers by Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics. Marvel's Avengers had similar problems to that of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League to some degree, yet has proved vastly more successful, reaching a peak record of 31,165 concurrent players in 2020 according to SteamDB. Despite that, it was still shut down by Crystal Dynamics in 2023 after being deemed a commercial failure.

By comparison, Suicide Squad's current peak record number of concurrent players was 13,459 in February 2024 and has plummeted much faster than Marvel's Avengers playbase. In short: these numbers paint a short and grim future for this game's lifespan. Perhaps most damning at all: despite being officially dead, Marvel's Avengers currently has more concurrent players than Suicide Squad as of writing, albeit a couple of dozen players here or there.

h3fhGrvWTfKy3kL3Z8dVKo-970-80.jpg

keyrodi

Feb 19, 2018
Can't wait to the see the defense plays on this update

After reading about the failure that is Season 1, I truly do not believe this game has legs. Will likely be shuttered by this time next year.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
God it launched in February? For whatever reason it feels like this has been out for ages.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This honestly makes me sad. I know nobody really wanted this game, but it must be devastating for the devs.

Mar 27, 2018
Both of those numbers are insane. I guess I can't really say anything because I didn't buy either game, but the Avengers and the Suicide Squad are two very popular IP these days. PC / PS5 / Xbox have a huge combined market, and only 150 people are legitimately enjoying it.

They should use the art assets for something else tbh. I know that's not how games are generally made, but they gotta find a way to make them cheaper to make.

Imagine if a Garry's Mod / Thingiverse-esque platform for commercial game dev really took off, and all the textures and 3D models made for this game could find life in something with a better hook

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that it was lower than Marvel's Avengers, a literal dead game, after only 3 months of release... but wasn't gonna make a thread about it lol.

They need to just announce the game is not getting any more major updates and move the fuck on. No need to drag it out. Officially one of the biggest bombs I can remember in gaming history. Get Rocksteady on a new Batman game and lets pretend this never happened.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oof

I wonder how many seasons they'll actually bother releasing. Not much of a point in making them when almost nobody is actually playing the thing, commitments be damned

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Can't wait to the see the defense plays on this update

After reading about the failure that is Season 1, I truly do not believe this game has legs. Will likely be shuttered by this time next year.
If an update starring the most important villain in DC history couldn't revitalize interest in this game, yeah, it's over. It's dead.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No idea how Rocksteady/WB couldn't see this, a game no one asked for as the follow up to Arkham Knight has failed miserably. Shocking.

Last edited:

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
holy fuck, there is a chance that more people are working on this game than are playing on Steam

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What a bummer. I am always holding my breath when I see a headline about this game and Rocksteady, bracing for layoff impact.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I don't think this could have bombed any harder. Morale at the studio must be rock bottom. Having to support this game for at least a year and probably not having your next project out until 2030.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly feel like this is a bit mean and I'm unsure why I feel that. Perhaps I just feel bad for the devs. What a fall it has been for Rocksteady tho I'm sure they will bounce back strong

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when people who don't understand a market make investment decisions about said market.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
These unending articles dunking on Steam player numbers are such a stupid trend. Giving anyone with a pulse access to this information was a mistake lol.

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
I almost bought this cause it was 50 percent off on the PlayStation Store but I feel like it'll be cheaper soon.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Both of those numbers are insane. I guess I can't really say anything because I didn't buy either game, but the Avengers and the Suicide Squad are two very popular IP these days. PC / PS5 / Xbox have a huge combined market, and only 150 people are legitimately enjoying it
This is for the PC version, and these type of games don't seem to be too popular on PC.

But I am similarly shocked, where a game by a well reputed developer and based on an extremely popular property just kind of blows over.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Oof

I wonder how many seasons they'll actually bother releasing. Not much of a point in making them when almost nobody is actually playing the thing, commitments be damned
Normally in a scenario like this if content was sold via a Deluxe/Ultimate edition, there's a legal obligation to create and release that content (otherwise things get messy with partial refunds and potential lawsuits from customers), but once that's out a game is effectively dead.

Project CARS 3 is an example, it got its 4 DLC packs (over the course of a year) that were sold with pre-orders and I don't think it ever got patched after that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anything under the Suicide Squad brand been a financial AND critical success at this point besides the James Gunn movie? Franchise feels cursed.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
This is one of the games where you can pinpoint the exact time the budget/creativity ran out

the first couple hours with Green lantern are actually pretty interesting with a bunch of cool bits but after that, it's generic. even the batman predator segment with you being on the other side for once felt half-assed

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
The article seems unnecessary and serves no purpose besides dunking on a game that's already dead and buried.

People at WC got nothing better to do with their time or something.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
At the risk of this being thread whining, can we stop reposting player count dooming from rags like Windowscentral? Game is meh, it majorly underperformed, WB has already said as much. I don't see what this adds.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's just sad. I feel for the devs. You gotta do what the higher ups tell you to do.

holy fuck, there is a chance that more people are working on this game than are playing on Steam

Part of me thinks that most of them shifted already but you could be right and that is insane to think about.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This honestly makes me sad. I know nobody really wanted this game, but it must be devastating for the devs.
yeh, i'll never get how people can glee over something like this.

its something 100's of people worked on for like 5 years. I get it, the company they work for is trash; but the employees must feel pretty bad.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was honestly worse than I expected, by a lot. It's unfortunate for Rocksteady, to go from Arkham to this, the writting was on the wall since the first showing. I played the beta and stopped after 30min.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
The article seems unnecessary and serves no purpose besides dunking on a game that's already dead and buried.

People at WC got nothing better to do with their time or something.
These player count drop posts have always been easy engagement/clicks unfortunately, even Palworld and other successful games that are not intended to be played forever are getting these headlines. One downside of Steam having publicly available stats is the fixation on them.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
These unending articles dunking on Steam player numbers are such a stupid trend. Giving anyone with a pulse access to this information was a mistake lol.
Also, concurrents don't tell the full story. Normally the Daily Active Users (a metric used internally) is much higher, but because people play at different times of day the CCU will be lower. DAU and MAU are generally a better sign of a game's health than CCU.

I'm surprised Steam or SteamDB don't track DAUs, since essentially it would be a check of all unique accounts tracked as playing the game within the past 24 hours.

Last edited:

Keziaka6591

Jan 31, 2023
Hope the devs who worked on this are able to keep their heads up. I feel like my mental health would be affected if a project I worked my ass off on has been dunked consistently before it even released.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the devs that got roped into making this game. At least they had time to prepare since anyone could see nobody wanted this game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is for the PC version, and these type of games don't seem to be too popular on PC.
Im not sure what you mean by that. Action games, DC games (good ones at least) and co op based action games all do well on Steam IF the game is good.

I remember some suggesting that people would return for when the season and "GAAS" elements are implemented in the game. Well they aint. And I really have doubts that there's really many more people playing this on consoles.
At this rate I have doubts this'll even last long enough to complete the rumored plot which apparently would
bring the JLA back

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Normally in a scenario like this if content was sold via a Deluxe/Ultimate edition, there's a legal obligation to create and release that content (otherwise things get messy with partial refunds and potential lawsuits from customers), but once that's out a game is effectively dead.

Project CARS 3 is an example, it got its 4 DLC packs (over the course of a year) that were sold with pre-orders and I don't think it ever got patched after that.

and we're still waiting on any of the DLC they sold for Redfall lol

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Rocksteady survives this. I'm fairly certain they do have content obligations they need to fulfill for folks who bought the ultimate editions or whatever, so they'll likely have a skeleton crew working on it for a bit, but I can easily see them being shuttered when that's all done and it sucks.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I had a look at the Digital Deluxe for KtJL on Steam and it mentions that the Battle Pass Token (... yeah, you get one. In the pricey edition of an already full-priced game.) is eligible for Seasons 1-4. So I'm assuming they're on the hook for three more at the very least.