• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
First detailed by Brad Sams, Microsoft has been experimenting with a discless Xbox One S console codenamed Xbox Maverick, with a launch window thought to be around Q1 2019. According to our sources, we now know a little bit more about the timing and marketing name of this intriguing new console.
Microsoft is reportedly set to call the discless Maverick console the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition," with preorders aiming for mid-April 2019, and with general availability coming in early May 2019. It looks as though it could be near-global simultaneous launch for almost all existing Xbox markets.

The discless Xbox One S would be a first for the company, offering fans the ability to ditch discs altogether and go all-in on digital game licenses. As Microsoft pushes for greater access to its game library via things like the Xbox Game Pass digital subscription and the incoming streaming service Project xCloud, dropping the disc drive from the "All-Digital Edition" should make it the cheapest Xbox console yet, although we have no word on pricing just yet, or whether the console will see any design refinements beyond simply dropping the disc drive

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...tw_card&utm_content=62966&utm_campaign=social

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's a very funny name.

I which that the X had a similar edition, but I could see MS believing that those who want an X are mostly people who buy physical

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder if this means the rumored disc-to-digital program would start then too? I'd like to move to digital only on Xbox, and would use the program even though I won't get the disc-less console.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is more and more digital I would welcome this as long as they continue to ensure backwards compatibility going forward.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of a rubbish name, but if it's cheap enough it might make waves.

I'm curious as to whether they will go for extremely aggressive pricing, or maybe something like decent discount over existing models + 12 months of game pass.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
shouldnt the title say that it is releasing world wide in may 2019 rather than pre orders in april? sounds more important to me.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
$149 and it plays fortnite could be really huge.

In addition to the discless Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, we've heard Microsoft may be gearing up to announce a Fortnite-edition console with a custom Fortnite design, rather than a simple game bundle. It's unclear whether the Fortnite console would be a regular S, an X, or a discless version at this time, but we'll keep you posted as soon as we know more.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
With the right price point I can see this being a good move considering their streaming efforts. I would hope for $150 but it will probably be $200

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Current Xbox 1 S is $299, can usually be found for $250 if you are willing to shop around or wait a week, and was $199 for Black Friday
Guess this will be $250, found for $200 when shopping around, and $150 on Black Friday

I will use this as an excuse to pick up a cheaper used Xbox 1 S most likely

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
First half of 2019 launch? Makes me wonder what they have planned for the holiday season!

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means the rumored disc-to-digital program would start then too? I'd like to move to digital only on Xbox, and would use the program even though I won't get the disc-less console.

Yeah if that happens I may convert my discs to digital and grab one of these for bedroom so I can access all my stuff

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Why when we are so close to next generation? Would you guys be wiling to throw down $150 (estimation) for an Xbox even if the next Xbox is only a year away (estimation again)?
the transition to next gen hardware is going to be a lot slower. I doubt many games will be exclusive to next gen for a long time. games will scale and devs will only move on once the customer base does. Also, they are probably putting these same model of S's in their datacenters for XCloud.