• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
This is a defeatist attitude. You should be doing whatever you can regardless of hurdle to get more so retirement is easier.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
This is a defeatist attitude. You should be doing whatever you can regardless of hurdle to get more so retirement is easier.
this isn't a personal attack, but if I recall, you said that the source of your wealth was poker or something like that right? Would you agree with me that it's not a conventional way of making money? I agree with you that people shouldn't give up but what I think FloatingDivider is trying to say is that the system unfortunately limited options available to a lot of people.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What do you suggest people do? Not attempt for more? To stay wherever they are? You should be looking for ways to invest in your future whether it's education, doing jobs you don't necessarily like, finding jobs with a pension (government), invest and save, etc. Yeah, they most likely won't make you a millionaire but you're going to have to change things up if you want a better future. You can wait for the promise land that is income equality across the board but you will not see that. At best you'll get some government safety nets to help the burden. Life isn't fair so you gotta do whatever you can.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video is fucking amazing, like legit fucking amazing started dying at the bbq sauce from kansas city kept dying the entire video. Zero fucks given here though because when rich people lose money it doesn't mean shit, they've still got panama accounts with untold millions sitting around. Stock market is legalized gambling for rich fuckers anyway so watching this man measure his words, explaining gambling losses, while on the verge of tears is delicious schadenfreude for me.

Except having $500k isn't 'rich'. Many people who are older, close to retired may have put much of their retirement in to this and while it was a poor decision, realize that these aren't necessarily millionaire and billionaires. Like Jesus.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you suggest people do? Not attempt for more? To stay wherever they are? You should be looking for ways to invest in your future whether it's education, doing jobs you don't necessarily like, finding jobs with a pension (government), invest and save, etc. Yeah, they most likely won't make you a millionaire but you're going to have to change things up if you want a better future. You can wait for the promise land that is income equality across the board but you will not see that. At best you'll get some government safety nets to help the burden. Life isn't fair so you gotta do whatever you can.
People should probably demonstrate, protest, lobby, and riot if needs be to address the income inequality gap -- accepting the status quo is the real defeatist attitude. Regardless, your advice is largely irrelevant bootstrappy boomer nonsense that's hilariously inapplicable to the world today and by your own personal admittance isn't even likely to bring you real prosperity.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
People should probably demonstrate, protest, lobby, and riot if needs be to address the income inequality gap -- accepting the status quo is the real defeatist attitude. Regardless, your advice is largely irrelevant bootstrappy boomer nonsense that's hilariously inapplicable to the world today and by your own personal admittance isn't even likely to bring you real prosperity.
Eh... why not both?

You seem really against the idea of doing whatever you can do make sure retirement is attainable.

Oct 27, 2017
This is where you don't realize your defeatist attitude: why even bother if you cannot get a perfect retirement? I don't know what to tell you. Good luck?
This is where your comprehension is clearly breaking down and you keep going back to your ol straw man of why bother. I'm saying people are trying to save but are unable to. Do you comprehend? I'm saying people are employed and working hard but without addressing the income inequality gap in a direct fashion a large majority will be sol regardless.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
This is where your comprehension is clearly breaking down and you keep going back to your ol straw man of why bother. I'm saying people are bothered but it's irrelevant. Do you comprehend? I'm saying people are doing what you tell them to do but without adressing the income inequality gap in a directly a large majority will be sol regardless.
I'll say it again: good luck.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize these people losing this money don't fucking magically have their net worth channeled into charity projects. That money all translates to whatever ROI the loans he got from FCStone can muster from the option prices and the rest is straight debt.

It's not unreasonable at all that people in lower corporate America gambled on a roughly stable fund that had a solid ROI for a decade. But laughing at people's misery is stupid. I make 6 figures, I don't run the god damn company that outsources cheap, unsustainable labor to Asia. I work because I have a value I work for and that's my base price for my own worth to the people offering me employment based on my experience and skills. I ask for more when I feel like I am worth more.

Most people don't take the time to study the market's they're going into extensively, that's the purported job of the fund. You get a portfolio that shows a decade of a strong ROI and stability against the market and you gamble that you'll be able to build just that little bit more and the train will keep going. Then the train crashes, you burn and lose everything. I know several people personally that invested in the market in Chinese reverse merger stocks that went from $15 to de-listed within two years. Some of them lost everything they had saved their entire lives for.

People make rash decisions to expand that wealth in the ever contracting game of late stage capitalism. Blame the system don't mock those that end up trying to be secure for their remaining lives and get burned for it.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People in Kentucky were bragging less than a year ago that they had a genius nephew and that they had put their entire life savings in cryptocurrency so they could have a solid retirement.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're god damn right. It's fucking pathetic when people hate others for actually saving their money and thinking 500k in retirement makes them "rich".
To be clear - I do not think people who have $500k saved for their retirement are too rich. I also believe the vast majority of people who would be putting $500k minimum into this type of scheme are not someone putting the majority of their retirement wealth into it, and are most likely too rich. But there are always exceptions!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You're god damn right. It's fucking pathetic when people hate others for actually saving their money and thinking 500k in retirement makes them "rich".
500k in a hedge fund doing options trading means you're rich.
Because you need to be an accredited investor and it's pretty stupid to put all your money into oil and gas.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people in here have just given up, apparently. Curious on if they're unable to save. If they are unable to save, how much of their income goes to entertainment expenses. Hell even when I was a kid being raised by my mom (who was raising 3 kids) she managed to save while working at a sewing factory in a rural town.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because he pretends to be sad about some assholes that lost their investments in gas and oil. If you invest in that shit you deserve to go into bancruptcy.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people in here have just given up, apparently. Curious on if they're unable to save. If they are unable to save, how much of their income goes to entertainment expenses. Hell even when I was a kid being raised by my mom (who was raising 3 kids) she managed to save while working at a sewing factory in a rural town.
Curious if you've ever looked at the average and median levels of savings for families in the US, the enormous gap between those figures and the levels of capital these people had to play with and whether you think it's just because people have "given up".

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious if you've ever looked at the average and median levels of savings for families in the US, the enormous gap between those figures and the levels of capital these people had to play with and whether you think it's just because people have "given up".

Nah, I've just gone from working 70-80 hour weeks at minimum wage and kept looking and applying to better paying jobs in the mean time because I was tired of living in squalor.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I've just gone from working 70-80 hour weeks at minimum wage and kept looking and applying to better paying jobs in the mean time because I was tired of living in squalor.
Good for you. I guess the fact that the average is $84k is purely down to people who just aren't pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.
Come on guys, there's oil and gas hedge funds you could be investing in!

Halo 2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Middle of Nowhere
It feels a little theatrical, no? And the "family" stuff... I mean you wanted to make money off these people and fucked up.
I don't know how similar it is but in many crypto chats/groups the owners generally take advantage of their "group" and are solely there to profit off hype.

They pretend their group is close and a type of "family" usually because the people being used are very naive.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That vast inequality between workers and CEOs is stolen wealth from the workers.
"When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich"

Yes, there is inequality. But this capitalist country still allows people to move 'up'. It still gives people chances. I'm an immigrant and have seen it both ways.

And just as there is a gap between 'the rich' and 'the poor', there are a lot of people in the middle that you are targeting/demonizing with this attitude.

Stop demonizing wealth. There are tons of issues, but this attitude that the 'rich' are living in some sort of impenetrable colony floating above earth and feed off of the poor down below does more harm than good.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Today on resetera I learned it's easy to become a millionaire.

Getting all up in your feelings because someone addresses the natural result of the privilege some people have. smh... I'll be sure to to tell people to save up their minimum wage millions so they can invest it in a high risk energy market hedge fund for retirement. Google wealth inequality, google median household incomes & savings, read that shit, let it sink the fuck in, and go away. If you can invest 500k and up in a hedge fund you're top 10%.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I think you could take every joke about lawyers, rewrite them to be about hedge fund managers, and it would still play. Fuck em all.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, at any minute in this vid, I just expected him to pull out a gun and blow his own brains out.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'll stop hating on the rich when a person working 40+ hours a week can afford to live in a city with out having to rely on room mates or parents.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
The way he talks it makes me feel almost he is more upset his life of riches and bassfishing and French reviera trips are over.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's unfortunate that every financial and investment topic ends up with a bunch of "hate the rich" derailment.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty easy to become millionaires after working for 30 years for most middle class that passed basic finance.

Middle class need around 4 millions in investment to maintain the same life style after retirement, and have some money left over for their grandchildren college fund.

I would assume most of those people are retirees or close to retirement. The 2% would not invest in a small fund like this.
Do you know what the average savings are for families in the US?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So, why can't they? Why not get further education for jobs that are available? Take up trades because a lot of older people are retiring from that? Find work that isn't a wal-mart cashier? From the way you're approaching your "Do you know what the average savings are for families in the US?", it makes it seem like there's zero opportunity to further educate yourself and get a better paying job.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you really quote just half of my sentence out of context? Doing it for ads I understanding since you have to make a living, but doing this just to win internet argument is very pity.
I quoted that part of your post because the further qualifiers are irrelevant to its ludicrous nature and are equally, if not more, out of touch.
So, let's get past the GOTCHA and ask why are most Americans saving so very little?
Please explain to me the wide variety of socio-economic reasons for wage disparity and the resulting inability to save in an exploitative capitalist society. smh... It's amazing how purposefully dense and adverse to basic google querying you're being.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, why can't they? Why not get further education for jobs that are available? Take up trades because a lot of older people are retiring from that? Find work that isn't a wal-mart cashier? From the way you're approaching your "Do you know what the average savings are for families in the US?", it makes it seem like there's zero opportunity to further educate yourself and get a better paying job.
Oh, sounds easy!