• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When did he publicly shame people? I'm not trying to be dismissive, genuinely curious. I don't recall him throwing people under the bus or shitting on them via PR (or social media) during his second tenure.

He gathered the whole MobileMe team in the Apple Auditorium to shame them then fired the chief on the spot.
He fired a women that he had just met in the elevator.
He wanted to layoff people at Pixar in the instant, without any prior notice.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, let´s cut this short.

The OG iPhone was a disruptive phone that was years ahead of its time.

Years.

From a company that did not make phones before.
It was a pocket PC from years ago (I had one, an HP iPaq, in 04) with the ability to make phone calls. The writing was on the wall. They were just the first ones to make a big push. The apple bootlicking is pathetic.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I'm saying what I said earlier: Apple's success with the iphone was about being in the right place at the right time, and the smartphone revolution was about converging technologies reaching an appropriate price point at the same time. And that being an asshole is not at all the heart of what lead to any of this.

People aren't going to get what you're saying because an unthinking Capitalist mindset basically requires a great man theory of the history of technology.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a pocket PC from years ago (I had one, an HP iPaq, in 04) with the ability to make phone calls. The writing was on the wall. They were just the first ones to make a big push. The apple bootlicking is pathetic.

Trying to downplay Apple's achievements because of the company they have become today is pathetic imo.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, again, in japan, there were far easier to use phones than the iphone when it came out. Things like "apple pay" which are hyped up today, have been available in japan for over a decade. The things people attribute to apple coming up with, are largely just aped over the superior japanese phones from a decade prior.

I don't care if you're an android or symbian fanboy. Coming from blackberries before the iphone, the iphone certainly did not feel like it blew it out of the water or anything. The main difference is that it was a market leader, not that it was technologically superior.

For you maybe, it was easier to use those phones, but this is where the mass market is important. You can't just ignore that it is the market leader here. For years, people for the iPhone to be the easiest phone to use. The iPhone was the only smartphone I could get non-technological persons to actually understand how to use. That is an incredibly important feat that should not be ignored. There was an actual tangible reason that it become the market leader that goes beyond Apply fanboyism. It was a truly great product that focused more on user experience than features at its infancy. Most phone OS's at that time were cumbersome to learn if you did not take the time to learn them, which is a non starter with the mass market.

Also, I've been pretty respectful to you, so I would really appreciate a more non-antagonistic approach if we continue this discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
This was from the 60 minutes interview: "I do not respect the SEC"

Side note: there is current contention around if this interview was edited to prove a point and Musk is disputing this by requesting the transcript be made public. That said, his body language change in this is quite hilarious.

Oct 26, 2017
I have yet to read a story from a former Jobs employee who took his abuse who didn't also add that they knew he was only pushing them to be their absolute best. They often credit him for getting them to do more than they thought possible.

Musk just seems like he's often an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. Because he can.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to downplay Apple's achievements because of the company they have become today is pathetic imo.

The fuck? How did you divine my intent or conception of what the company became? Did you think I was someone else or something? I've been a mac and PC user since the early 90s and I use apple products daily. I don't even know what you are implying or why. Whatever though. As for their actual achievements...

...Yeah they did sell a lot.

Go them.

Doesn't change the fact that you're are misrepresenting their actual contributions.

If you want to talk about marketing, ui design, and digital service models then yeah Apple has a lot to gloat about when it comes to the iphone. As for actual technology I find it hilarious that people confuse market saturation with innovation. They weren't the first in any of the things they were good at. Jobbs was a visionary and saw where the future was headed and went for it. I respect that. Doing something well doesn't rewrite the origin story though.

How experienced are you with early 2000s handheld tech anyway? Doesn't seem like much judging by your recent posts in this thread.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How experienced are you with early 2000s handheld tech anyway? Doesn't seem like much judging by your recent posts in this thread.

I was using a Blackberry before the iPhone came out.

And I had a Nokia Communicator at some point.

It is insane to me that people think that Apple just took what was there and put it in a nice package. That is simply not true.

The iPhone was lightyears ahead software wise. And the hardware was unmatched for years.

The difference in touchscreen quality alone with astounding at the time - far better than anything I had ever used.

And the UI based on touch was simply revolutionary.

I don´t use an iPhone BTW - just because I think this is where you are going next - I use a Huawei p20 lite and I love it.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This was from the 60 minutes interview: "I do not respect the SEC"

Side note: there is current contention around if this interview was edited to prove a point and Musk is disputing this by requesting the transcript be made public. That said, his body language change in this is quite hilarious.

There's not even contention, they flat out edited it to be extremely misleading:
https://electrek.co/2018/12/11/elon-musk-misleading-edit-tesla-interview-60-minutes/

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I was using a Blackberry before the iPhone came out.

And I had a Nokia Communicator at some point.

It is insane to me that people think that Apple just took what was there and put it in a nice package. That is simply not true.

The iPhone was lightyears ahead software wise. And the hardware was unmatched for years.

The difference in touchscreen quality alone with astounding at the time - far better than anything I had ever used.

And the UI based on touch was simply revolutionary.

I don´t use an iPhone BTW - just because I think this is where you are going next - I use a Huawei p20 lite and I love it.

lightyears, tho?

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TBH I'm not surprised. His entire backstory was fishy. A White South African who's family got rich off of Apartheid? The way that he treated his ex wife (With that entire "I"M THE ALPHA" bullshit)?

Like the writing was on the wall. I think people really wanted to see him as a good guy for what he was doing with electric cars, but even then, if he really cared about saving the environment he would have started with cheaper, consumer models that people could actually afford, and then supported programs to transition people from Gas to electric cars. Instead he just catered to rich people and sat on his millions.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Comparing Tesla to Apple is pretty funny.
EV competition is going to make Tesla insignificant very soon. Their clown boss will switch his focus to his space dreams and torment those employees instead.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing Tesla to Apple is pretty funny.
EV competition is going to make Tesla insignificant very soon

Their competition is still years behind. We will see what products they release and in what quantities.

I don't think Tesla will ever become insignificant in this space, unless Musk implodes.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
TBH I'm not surprised. His entire backstory was fishy. A White South African who's family got rich off of Apartheid? The way that he treated his ex wife (With that entire "I"M THE ALPHA" bullshit)?

Like the writing was on the wall. I think people really wanted to see him as a good guy for what he was doing with electric cars, but even then, if he really cared about saving the environment he would have started with cheaper, consumer models that people could actually afford, and then supported programs to transition people from Gas to electric cars. Instead he just catered to rich people and sat on his millions.

Yeah that's not how it works. The roadster payed for the model s. The model s and x payed for the model 3. The model 3 and y will pay for the eventual model 2... To do things the other way around the company would have been immediately bankrupt.... And the entirety of Detroit and the European Deisel Maphia would have jumped out of their chairs at the chance to proclaim "See! Nobody wants electric cars!"

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's not how it works. The roadster payed for the model s. The model s and x payed for the model 3. The model 3 and y will pay for the eventual model 2... To do things the other way around the company would have been immediately bankrupt.

Well the way he wouldn't shut up about how much money he had when he started the company had me thinking differently. I see what you mean though.

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
for a guy who didn't found tesla, isn't an engineer himself, and built the company largely on the back of government funding he gets a lot of credit for being an innovative genius without whom none of this massive "success" couldn't have happened

Woah, he's not even a fucking engineer, but he's in charge of all of this?

Money really is the great equalizer.

Magni

You're comparison should be with other automotive companies tbh and Glassdoor seems to have a heavy lean to the tech field. Nevetheless, Tesla is without a doubt still one of the most sought after places to work at, especially by young engineers, simply for its cause and how disruptive it has been in the automotive space.

Tesla is arguably more of a tech company - in Silicon Valley - than a car company in Michigan. But regardless:

GM (Mary Barra) : 3.7, 72% recommend, 91% approve of CEO
Ford (Jim Hackett): 3.9, 76% recommend, 76% approve
Fiat Chrysler (Michael Manley): 3.2, 57% recommend, 78% approve

So still a lower overall rating than any of the Big 3, and only better than 1 on recommendation (by 3%), admittedly better than 2/3 on CEO approval (but only by 2 and 4%). Hardly a huge difference here.

If you're a software engineer, there's a ton of other companies out there. And if you're an automotive engineer, I won't deny that Tesla is more exciting than a legacy maker in Detroit, but once you do your research on the job environment, it's not as clear-cut as you'd expect it to be.

edit: my point is that, if Musk weren't such an asshole, his ratings (and Tesla's) would be much closer to the other SV tech giants, and way better than the Big 3. And with that I'd argue they'd be more successful than they have been up to this point. It's quite depressing seeing the missed potential there.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any level headed, down to earth billionaires? Maybe there isn't because all of the high profile billionaires are still working when if someone level headed had that money they would be doing fuck all and enjoying life or volunteering their time and money for charitable causes.

Magni

Are there any level headed, down to earth billionaires? Maybe there isn't because all of the high profile billionaires are still working when if someone level headed had that money they would be doing fuck all and enjoying life or volunteering their time and money for charitable causes.

Bill Gates? Warren Buffet? George Soros? For the latter group. For the former, it's all the billionaires you never hear about who are quietly enjoying their billions in relative obscurity.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
It's actually not that hard to see why. Americans love captains of industry. From the oil barons of old, to the Silicon Valley darlings of new.

The issue is that he's treats people like crap consistently. Plus, he is probably surrounded by Yes Men.

Musk is very much a Henry Ford figure, even down to his fanbase viewing him in a similar manner.

Reading biographies of Ford it's quite striking.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Tesla is arguably more of a tech company - in Silicon Valley - than a car company in Michigan. But regardless:

I mean they like to market themselves as such in that area to get software engineers but its an automotive company foremost.

If you're a software engineer, there's a ton of other companies out there.

True but as a software engineer who wants to be in the automotive industry Tesla is attractive. Certainly more than the traditional automotive companies.

And if you're an automotive engineer, I won't deny that Tesla is more exciting than a legacy maker in Detroit, but once you do your research on the job environment, it's not as clear-cut as you'd expect it to be.

If you want to work on EVs, the best place is Tesla. Without a doubt. And many young engineers see EVs as the future.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Bill Gates, maybe?

Oct 25, 2017
Bill Gates? Warren Buffet? George Soros? For the latter group. For the former, it's all the billionaires you never hear about who are quietly enjoying their billions in relative obscurity.

Gates was pretty cut throat in the early days of MS. He did after all push the whole "Embrace, extend, extinguish" philosophy.

Magni

^ Gates was pretty ruthless business-wise in the 90s, but my post was concerning modern day Gates.

I mean they like to market themselves as such in that area to get software engineers but its an automotive company foremost.

True, that's my bias as a software engineer popping up.

True but as a software engineer who wants to be in the automotive industry Tesla is attractive. Certainly more than the traditional automotive companies.

The best place to be as a software engineer is at a tech company, and Tesla is one while the other makers aren't, so of course you'd rather be at Tesla. But there are other tech companies in the automotive industry that aren't makers most notably Google. (by tech company I mean a company where software engineers are valued as critical to building the company's core product).

If you want to work on EVs, the best place is Tesla. Without a doubt. And many young engineers see EVs as the future.
Automative engineers see EV as the future, but that doesn't mean you need to work on EVs today to be relevant. None of my automative engineer friends work at Tesla or on EVs. They're aerodynamics engineers, industrial engineers in charge of factory lines, mechanical engineers designing parts such as car seats and suspensions. All of those jobs will still exist in an EV-led car industry.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I would say Jobs was worse. Jobs always created folks like Elon. Jobs gave uber talented executives, especially in tech, a cover to be assholes as long as they produced results. And I say this as a big Apple fan, but I also know the history.

The worst thing about Jobs is that people thought in order to be as successful as he was, you have to be a massive douche.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Musk was less crazy, but I'm willing to accept it in exchange for him saving the earth. (And while he's not singlehandedly doing that or anything, he's clearly doing a lot of good, and we need everything right now.)

HyperionX

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Musk was less crazy, but I'm willing to accept it in exchange for him saving the earth. (And while he's not singlehandedly doing that or anything, he's clearly doing a lot of good, and we need everything right now.)

He's not saving anything. Buying an expensive EV does basically nothing for the environment.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
He's not saving anything. Buying an expensive EV does basically nothing for the environment.
Heck of a lot better than buying a standard gas car, no?

But, the big plus for the earth is the huge scale increase in manufacturing batteries, so they can be cheaper. That's super important for solar and wind energy.

HyperionX

Oct 27, 2017
Heck of a lot better than buying a standard gas car, no?

But, the big plus for the earth is the huge scale increase in manufacturing batteries, so they can be cheaper. That's super important for solar and wind energy.

The best solution is to ride a bike or walk. There's still a massive resource and energy cost to making a car. Somewhere I read it will take approximately a decade before the energy is paid back with your EV. Increasing solar and wind power have importance, but Musk is having a bunch smaller impact on that subject.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The best solution is to ride a bike or walk. There's still a massive resource and energy cost to making a car. Somewhere I read it will take approximately a decade before the energy is paid back with your EV. Increasing solar and wind power have importance, but Musk is having a bunch smaller impact on that subject.

Not everyone can bike or walk.

And I think it's anywhere from 6 months to a year to lay back the emissions cost of making the car depending on how dirty the power grid is.

HyperionX

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone can bike or walk.

And I think it's anywhere from 6 months to a year to lay back the emissions cost of making the car depending on how dirty the power grid is.

A car costing >$60K is very low on the list of sensible alternatives. Much better to buy either a plugin hybrid, or an EV with a small battery. And it's definitely multiple years or decade+ before you get the emissions for an EV with a huge battery.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The general rule as far as I've heard is that the more psychopathic you are, the easier it is to climb to the top and achieve success now, and the easier it is to cause problems that sink you horrifically later.

Feb 1, 2018
EV competition is going to make Tesla insignificant very soon.

The competition has very little incentive to go all-in on EV's the way Tesla is, because they make a LOT of money on ICE cars, which have matured for 100+ years into a very profitable business model.

"Why switch to blueberry pies when you're already making a killing on strawberry?" - the Koch brothers

When you look at most of the big company's EV offerings, they're either half-assed EPA/CARB compliance cars (Fiat 500e, BMW i3, Honda Clarity, Honda Fit EV come to mind) or half-assed plug-in hybrids. At least GM is trying with the Bolt and they killed the Volt to make room for further focus on EV's. But just know that their bread and butter for the time being is in big, gas guzzling trucks and SUV's. That shit sells.

There's a new generation of long-range EV's coming out from established brands like the Porsche Taycan, Hyuadai Kona, Kia Niro and Soul EV, BMW iX3 and i4, and from the new startups like Rivian, Lucid, and Bollinger. But NONE of these cars would be announced or fast-tracked if it wasn't for Tesla starting the mainstream-ization of long-range electric cars, by making it a product that's fashionable and desirable with a unique featureset, a noble MO, and of course led by an eccentric, polarizing, cult of personality CEO that gets people riled up. They really are the mid-00's Apple of cars lol

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
A car costing >$60K is very low on the list of sensible alternatives. Much better to buy either a plugin hybrid, or an EV with a small battery. And it's definitely multiple years or decade+ before you get the emissions for an EV with a huge battery.

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions

Manufacturing a mid-sized EV with an 84-mile range results in about 15 percent more emissions than manufacturing an equivalent gasoline vehicle. For larger, longer-range EVs that travel more than 250 miles per charge, the manufacturing emissions can be as much as 68 percent higher.

These differences change as soon as the cars are driven. EVs are powered by electricity, which is generally a cleaner energy source than gasoline. Battery electric cars make up for their higher manufacturing emissions within eighteen months of driving—shorter range models can offset the extra emissions within 6 months—and continue to outperform gasoline cars until the end of their lives.

18 months at most in the US, as little as 6 months.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Did you saw the response Tesla sent to Jalopnik concerning the Wired story?

Full Jalopnik's article: https://jalopnik.com/working-at-tesla-means-being-in-an-abusive-relationship-1831072258

Tesla's statement:
It's no secret that the Model 3 production ramp was excruciatingly difficult for everyone at Tesla. We've been open about that since the day we delivered the first vehicles and said we were entering 'production hell.'

But Wired's overly-dramatic and sensationalized tale would have you believe that we somehow pulled off this incredible feat – and succeeded in achieving profitability and building a car that no one thought was possible – by suppressing internal debates and randomly firing people for no reason or simply because they disagreed with Elon.

That fundamentally does not make sense, as it would literally be impossible for Tesla to still be here if that's how we operated. After all, if you were to believe the Wired story and employees really weren't able to disagree with Elon, rather than ramping Model 3, Tesla would currently be focused on building cyborg dragons, implementing a company-wide policy banning blue shoes, and playing Monty Python videos on a 24-hour loop in all of the break rooms…

Edit: I cannot wait to buy Tesla's first fully electric cyborg dragon.

Last edited: