• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

Mark Cerny, Lead System Architect of the PlayStation 5, breaks down all the went into the creation of Sony's latest video game console. Mark talks about the steps Sony takes when developing a video game console, from early brainstorming sessions to picking out what parts to use in the final product.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Time to fill up the tubs boys!

Edit: omg the FFX scene

Edit edit: my two main takeaways from that -

Devs only asked for 1GB read? Wut

And the PS4 backwards compatibility - the game that was coded to framerate. I wonder if Sony customising the emulator (if we can even call it an emulator) on a game-by-game basis?

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

And the PS4 backwards compatibility - the game that was coded to framerate. I wonder if Sony customising the emulator (if we can even call it an emulator) on a game-by-game basis?
What's wrong with 16gb?

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Quite funny to see him confirming that Tim Sweeney was the guy pushing for the SSD. It's also interesting that Tempest Audio uses a small GPU unit for its processing.

I want to know who are the devs who asked for a 16-core CPU 😆

What's wrong with 16gb?

That's for the SSD. Devs asked for 1gb/s read but Sony aimed for 5 to 10 times that.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

Would certainly explain why Microsoft went with a cheaper SSD setup.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There were devs asking for a 1gb/s read speed for the SSD? What the.

Also confirms (again) about the custom RDNA2 chip.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Quite funny to see him confirming that Tim Sweeney was the guy pushing for the SSD. It's also interesting that Tempest Audio uses a small GPU unit for its processing.

I want to know who are the devs who asked for a 16-core CPU 😆

That's for the SSD. Devs asked for 1gb/s read but Sony aimed for 5 to 10 times that.
Oh man.
Misread that.

Good thing Cerny and the team decided on much more.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love hearing him talk and this video is great! Didn't recognise him almost with that new blonde look.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
16 core CPU but maybe a 5-6 tf gpu, I think we would see better games with a 16 core CPU, but at the same time I just dont see many devs taking advantage of all those cores.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since that one interview Cerny did during the PS5 launch, I'm always trying to see what watch he's wearing. I forgot which one it was at the time, but it was beautiful. And expensive.

EDIT: It was the Cartier Santos-Dumont Squelette from the Washington Post article last year. Can anyone ID the watch he's wearing in this new video?

Last edited:

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
ShockingRegalAmericanbadger-max-1mb.gif

I do like me some Cerny

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My brain thought this was a song where mark Cerny was providing the vocals

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Remember that ongoing talk about variable clocks and not being true 10 TF and that would be way lower regularly.
Seems the system was really cleverly designed

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

He said devs asked for "at least" 1GB/s, so it would have been the minimum.

This discussion would probably have been around 2016, and 1GB/s would have sounded amazing back then, they were dealing with 50MB/s and they asked for at least 20 times more (which would be CPU-limited on a standard architecture).

Cerny explained previously his idea of loading assets as the camera turns around, not just as the player advances. This wouldn't have worked with only 1GB/s, but with 5.5GB/s decompressed at up to 22GB/s, this becomes very much possible.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

This discussion would probably have been around 2016, and 1GB/s would have sounded amazing back then, they were dealing with 50MB/s and they asked for at least 20 times more (which would be CPU-limited on a standard architecture).

Cerny explained previously his idea of loading assets as the camera turns around, not just as the player advances. This wouldn't have worked with only 1GB/s, but with 5.5GB/s decompressed at up to 22GB/s, this becomes very much possible.
Yeah this kind of help supplement certain things that had to be stuck in memory alone in the past. I really can't wait to see how devs take advantage. We may see the more innovative stuff from sony devs again but even with the lower limit of the 2.5gb/s still will see some cool stuff and maybe it's boosted on the PS5 if there are more ties to the loading in and out of memory with the SSD.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ the forced perspective to make the PS5 not look gigantic sitting next to Cerny.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
huh, I was under the impression that the reason for the small file sizes on PS5 was more so down to having set and highly encouraged guidelines for file management and asset storing for the sake of compression for PS5, but it is rather the other way around according to Cerny, they seem to be offering their own bespoke "invisible compression" function as he is calling that to efficiently zip the data in a way that the SSD can still read it back at speed with essentially minimal additional involvement from the developer? Of course I assume there is still a measure of guidelines there of how to properly prepare your assets so the compressed form is even smaller and more efficient, hence we see games like Subnatuica that Cerny has pointed out in the video.

Remember that these discussions were held in 2015-2016, they need to design a console to support at least 8 years of game development, you cannot just rely on current day needs but on the needs that will arise from game developers and players in the next 15 years. Obviously that would all just boil down to guesswork, but offering an SSD that is so fast and developer friendly thanks to a dedicated IO computation unit to the point that the game developer can almost forget it exists as part of the pipeline entirely (Thats theoritical and obviously mainly an aspiration) is a logical conclusion in that kind of a forward thinking hardware development.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Nice video.

I appreciate it when he goes over the file sizes. Some of us said what he said about Miles Morales.

Oct 27, 2017

This (what Cerny brands as "Integrated I/O" and "Invisible Decompression" with very high performance targets) has always been the most interesting feature of the PS5's system architecture to me, as it seems to be ripe for creating new gameplay experiences with much higher levels of asset density, granular detail, and diversity not previously possible at the very high level of graphical fidelity and performance the new systems afford.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I held my breathing during the backward compatibility part. I thought he was going to announce backward compatibility with PS3 games.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that ongoing talk about variable clocks and not being true 10 TF and that would be way lower regularly.
We can only hope that the clown show will serve as a future reminder that it's possible for less to be more. Also a reminder not to underestimate Mark Cerny's decision making - dude's a certified legend. Looking forward to what developers can unlock as we go forward.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
From the design to the PS5 DE...Cerny, Sony made some genius choices. And its really paying off because they are barely effected by the pandemic.

We can only hope that the clown show will serve as a future reminder that it's possible for less to be more. Also a reminder not to underestimate Mark Cerny's decision making - dude's a certified legend. Looking forward to what developers can unlock as we go forward.
The past 2 years wrt these new consoles have been wild, lol. I think I will avoid any future next gen/console speculation threads for Sony and MS.

Whew....

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I feel that my knowledge of computer science and video game development has increased exponentially after listening to Cerny
And I know nothing about both.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Cerny did another great job this gen, though Sony put less into the gpu and more into bandwidth, one year in it didn't become any significant disadvantage to them. Looking forward to what first party games could achieve by end of this gen.