• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
According to Sony spokespeople, from launch through the end of March, users logged 81 percent more time on the console than on the PS4 during its own comparable period in 2013-14. Similarly, 11 percent more game units have been sold during the PS5's first five months than on its predecessor.

Is some of that thanks to increased home time? No question. Across the PlayStation ecosystem, user gameplay time was 20 percent higher in March 2021 than a year prior.

www.wired.com

The PS5 Is Starting to Look Like the Revolution It Promised

What’s happening with Sony’s latest console, now that it’s been out for six months? Supply issues aside, it’s proving to be much more than a simple evolution.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Insane man, I get folks are at home now more than the PS4 launch but it's still really impressive numbers.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Screenshot_2020_05_29_at_15.45.50.png

Oct 27, 2017
likely covid and the backwards compatibility with previous gen that the PS4 never had means more to play and more time to play.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wonder to what extent having BC with last gen games helped. In my case I retired both of my PS4s to play those games extensively on PS5.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
PS4 launch lineup was awful for many months and had no BC, so this makes sense. PS5 has been light years better than the PS4 in pretty much every regard.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Its more impressive when you remember that the PS4 was not backwards compatable with PS3, so apart from a small handful of games that did cross-buy PS4 versions at or close to launch (such as Flower), people HAD to buy new games for the PS4, where with PS5 you can still play PS4 games you already own

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, honestly the game sales are the wildest part to me, especially given that we have, what, four PS5-only games (Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Destruction All-Stars, Returnal)? Unless I'm missing some indie PS5-only titles maybe?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually not surprising at all. Not just because of people staying home more due to COVID, but because PS5 can play the huge back catalog of PS4 games. PS4 only had PS4 games to play, and there weren't exactly a plethora of good ones by this point.

Honestly, I would have expected even MORE than 81% more play time.

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
11% can be associated with pandemic. PS5 unit sales are following almost same trajectory as PS4 even with the shortages!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
PlayStation brand is pretty damn strong.

Last gen was a massive turnaround for them.

This gen is them riding that momentum and then some.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Great engagement from PS5 owners.

Shows that not all those sold PS5s are in scalpers' hands.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was really barren until TLOU remastered and Bloodborne, the latter of which came over a year after launch.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They had more games out for nextgen and BC is now a big factor. It is normal that console is getting used more.

Even I use it more, and I haven't find time yet to replay some BC titles I want [60fps patched games].

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my PS5 way more than I did my PS4 at launch. Perfect (and boosted) BC is a big factor here.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Is this global software sales, or US? The situation in Japan doesn't seem to line up with this at all. They are selling the hardware they ship, but PS5 is barely moving any software. IIRC there hadn't been a single PS5 SKU in the charts since launch last time I perused those threads.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Kinda Unsurprising.
More consoles sold, Miles Morales posting spectacular numbers (can't compare to the likes of Killzone shadowfall) and lockdown fueled gaming and you can see why this is so.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Impressive, but not entirely unexpected given the current Covid situation.

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make any sense. I thought all those ps5s were sitting in the scalper's basements

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Is this global software sales, or US? The situation in Japan doesn't seem to line up with this at all. They are selling the hardware they ship, but PS5 is barely moving any software. IIRC there hadn't been a single PS5 SKU in the charts since launch last time I perused those threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if an uptick of digital sales are happening there. Digital has increased worldwide and Japan while it's happendd slower is probably seeing it as well. I'm sure as mobile has blown up it's helped drive the normalization of digital there as well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people (like me) skipped PS4 Pro, so for us PS5 BC's for PS4 games is actually something pretty exciting. I have like 10 PS4 games already in pipeline I saved for PS5.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people (like me) skipped PS4 Pro, so for us PS5 BC's for PS4 games is actually something pretty exciting. I have like 10 PS4 games already in pipeline I saved for PS5.
Since it launched, ratio of sales of Pro consoles was 1 for each 5 PlayStation sold. So there is a ton of gamers out there who have gamed only on a 1080p focused base PS4.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. We need to stop comparing the big three and stop expecting them all to do the same thing. They're all doing their own thing and it seems to be working for them.

Sony sticking to the more traditional approach
Microsoft caving out a new, successful, and growing niche for itself via GamePass
Nintendo leaning heavily in on unique, mobile play experiences

Three very different ways to tackle the same market and operate in the same industry. All three approaches are seeing success at that at the same time, too.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I'm sure Backwards Compatibility, the PS+ Collection and good (often brand new) PS+ monthly titles contributed a fair deal to the increased play time. Launch window is also much better.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
BC helped tons, I'm sure. When I got my PS4, I had Resogun and DC Universe Online. When I got my PS5, I had every PS4 game plus AstroBot, Bugsnax and Spider-man MM.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Tbf there is alot more to play on the PS5 than there was on the PS4.
PS4 launch year was really really bad.

Infamous Second Son was really good

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely did at least 81% more stuff outside of my house in 2013.

We've been in (some sort of) lockdown/working from home/no bars or restaurants or meeting others indoors since the day the system launched here. Played a lottttt of vidyagames.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Some calculations here

PS4 sold through 13.7M games as of March 2, 2014 and 20.5M as of April 13, 2014
So we could estimate at 17M sold through as of March 31, 2014 (to have data for 5 full months)

11% of 17M = 1.87M so PS5 sold through about 18.87M games

PS4/PS5 sold-in 338.9M games in FY20
If PS5 sold through about 19M games, we can add about 10-15M to that number (to count copies still on shelves)

338.9M - (19M + 15M) = 304.9M
So PS4 sold-in about 305M games alone in FY20, a record for any console in video game history

I use « 15M games » still on shelves to have wide range, but it's probably less than that
At least we can « confirm » that PS4 broke 300M barrier of games sold during a single year