• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
This thought came to me when I was trying to using my PS4 golden headphone this morning. I always usb charge my controller and have an external SSD drive on, and the last usb port on my PS4 pro is used for the cooling fan dock. I had no place for the headphone dongle.

As iPhone X comes out with the feature, this makes me wonder why can't PS5 or XBOX2 have a wireless charge station for the controllers. It will give us unlimited battery life and get rid of the long annoying wires and free a usb port.

It might not be practically useful to integrate into the console itself, I visualize it as a dock sitting near where you play, maybe on the tea table if you play on your couch.

What's your thoughts , era?

Edit: The concept is like Cota there: http://www.ossia.com/cota/

Last edited:

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
At least with USB charging you can buy a longer cable and continue playing while the controller charges. You can basically get the 'wireless' charging if you get a charging dock.

Not to get away from the wireless charging point, but the pro does have a rear USB correct? Couldn't you just plug the external drive in there since it's not something that you'll want to switch around very much?

brennschluss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In perfect world it's like a full surface of the table where you can charge all types of devices (phones, watches etc.)

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
We should be making controllers less expensive, not more so. Give me replaceable AA batteries, or a cord over a proprietary battery that will become impossible to find in ten years.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
We should be making controllers less expensive, not more so. Give me replaceable AA batteries, or a cord over a proprietary battery that will become impossible to find in ten years.

Well, I use eneloops for any AA battery controllers (wavebird, xbone) and the Switch Pro Pad lasts about two months on a single charge.

I'm not sure what else can be acheived without a revolution in battery tech or a change in priorities.

MageBoySA

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Given that this currently requires glass backing to function properly for most devices (I believe) I don't think this is likely on controllers, since people are less likely to treat them as carefully as they do their phones.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Given that this currently requires glass backing to function properly for most devices (I believe) I don't think this is likely on controllers, since people are less likely to treat them as carefully as they do their phones.

Plastic also works. They could do it if they wanted to.

The issue with phones is aluminum is too dense for modern wireless charging to work.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I mean wireless charging dock. I think the products on the markets still require you to connect your controller to the themselves.

But why does it need to be wireless is the point. If it's just to free up a usb port on the system, a wall power connected charging dock solves that. Even using a usb charger on an outlet closer to where you sit to play games would allow you to play games while it charges.

Wireless charging devices need to be incredibly close to the source to actually work, which would mean you aren't really getting an 'unlimited' power source at all. All it means is that you would just set your controller down on a pad instead of plugging in a cable when the battery is low. It's just a convenience.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I use eneloops for any AA battery controllers (wavebird, xbone) and the Switch Pro Pad lasts about two months on a single charge.

I'm not sure what else can be acheived without a revolution in battery tech or a change in priorities.

Exactly. I use rechargeable AAs in every device that allows it. It is one of the big reasons that I prefer the original GBA vs the SP. Finding batteries for that thing that hold a charge is damn near impossible, whereas quality rechargeable AAs can be found most anywhere.

OP
OP
sxiebonjour

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are using glass is because the previous aluminum case wouldn't work. Plastic will let magnetic field through.

brennschluss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But price, man. Wireless controllers pretty expensive and adding wireless charge means extra cost

Last edited:

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
While not exactly wireless, the Nyko Charge Bocks are pretty great. Support for One, PS4, and Switch controllers.

The best part is you can plug them into each other and charge up to 4 controllers with one cable. I have my Xbox One, PS4. Joycons, and Switch Pro Controller all set up.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, wireless charging (QI) docks don't really have that much range. They still generally have to be in, or near contact with the base. There are projects like Disneys wireless charging room, but it requires quite a bit of power, a localized emitter, limited range etc.

https://youtu.be/gn7T599QaN8

I'm not sure what you're asking for OP, but if you're talking about a controller or device that charges wireless in a fairly large area without contact to a charging base, it doesn't exist.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Exactly. I use rechargeable AAs in every device that allows it. It is one of the big reasons that I prefer the original GBA vs the SP. Finding batteries for that thing that hold a charge is damn near impossible, whereas quality rechargeable AAs can be found most anywhere.

Yep. I also have a backlit OG GBA as my go-to, not only due to the form factor but due to the batteries.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Current implementations of wireless charging have a very short range, which makes it more of a novelty than something that actually adds something.

Also wireless charging for phones has been around since at least 2012, my old Lumia 920 supported it.
I feel the same. Especially later on it's a lot easier to buy fresh AA batteries that'll hold a long charge vs proprietary battery from several years ago (good luck finding one that will hold a good charge) that usually also requires fiddling around with screw drivers.

OP
OP
sxiebonjour

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Umm, wireless charging (QI) docks don't really have that much range. They still generally have to be in, or near contact with the base. There are projects like Disneys wireless charging room, but it requires quite a bit of power, a localized emitter, limited range etc.

https://youtu.be/gn7T599QaN8

I'm not sure what you're asking for OP, but if you're talking about a controller or device that charges wireless in a fairly large area without contact to a charging base, it doesn't exist.
I am looking for some techniques like the cota here : http://www.ossia.com/cota/ . That is you can still hold you controller while getting charged power. But it does not seem to come to fruit on next gen tho xD.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am looking for some techniques like the cota here : http://www.ossia.com/cota/ . That is you can still hold you controller while getting charged power. But it does not seem to come to fruit on next gen tho xD.
Ok, this clarifies things a bit more, I believe this is something akin to what Disney is working on, this tech is still in the development phase though, and I don't believe its commercially available yet, once it is, it will likely be very expensive.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have a dock for charging Xbox controllers. You just sit them on the dock and they charge so no practical difference from wireless charging.