• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I started playing the Witcher 3 on xbox one x now that it's free on game pass- cool game. But one thing that's really doing my fucking head in is the frame pacing. At first the 30fps felt like shit in an action game, but couldn't cope with it after a few hours, so I switched to the performance mode. I thought this would mean I'd get 60fps! I thought wrong! Now instead of hitting 60 it bounces from 30-60 which is particularly horrible in intense combat or busy areas. this game runs like hot garbage on console no matter what.

If you make a performance mode, MAKE IT ACTUALLY PERFORM, LOCK THAT SHIT AT 60 FML. I pretty much wanna switch it back to the 4k mode so at least it's stable.

https://youtu.be/VQ3zCgwxf3w?t=277 Look at this shit. That fucking sucks. the frame time chart looks like the stitching on the most flowery of levis

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
Fluctuating performance is not the same thing as bad frame pacing.
Sorry, what?

lDWlS6M.png

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I started playing the Witcher 3 on xbox one x now that it's free on game pass- cool game. But one thing that's really doing my fucking head in is the frame pacing. At first the 30fps felt like shit in an action game, but couldn't cope with it after a few hours, so I switched to the performance mode. I thought this would mean I'd get 60fps! I thought wrong! Now instead of hitting 60 it bounces from 30-60 which is particularly horrible in intense combat or busy areas. this game runs like hot garbage on console no matter what.

If you make a performance mode, MAKE IT ACTUALLY PERFORM, LOCK THAT SHIT AT 60 FML. I pretty much wanna switch it back to the 4k mode so at least it's stable.

https://youtu.be/VQ3zCgwxf3w?t=277 Look at this shit. That fucking sucks. the frame time chart looks like the stitching on the most flowery of levis
If you prefer locked 60fps then play it on PC. Problem solved.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
If you prefer locked 60fps then play it on PC. Problem solved.
Yeah, let me fork out for a new gaming PC, so I can play this game I didn't care about enough to buy, and play until recently where I'm trying it for free. That's what I'll do. I'll drop 2k to get that 60fps lock 🙄

As gamers you should be expecting better out of your developers than "performance" modes that perform like shit. When I see the word "performance" I don't think of frame pacing charts that look like excitebike tracks. The game is obviously a momenumental achievement but It's just disappointing that the performance mode is like this. I'd accept a mode that looks way worse in terms of detail if it could just hit a more consistent frame rate.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I stand corrected but it's this particular case.

It's possible to have fluctuating FPS while maintaining a stable framepacing.
Its the other way around. Its possible to have stable frame rates with fluctuating frame pacing.

Variable frame rate will have variable frame pacing so I'm not sure why the OP is angry. Yes, its not a stable 60fps but unlocked frame rate is not going to have stable frame pacing.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, let me fork out for a new gaming PC, so I can play this game I didn't care about enough to buy, and play until recently where I'm trying it for free. That's what I'll do. I'll drop 2k to get that 60fps lock 🙄

As gamers you should be expecting better out of your developers than "performance" modes that perform like shit. When I see the word "performance" I don't think of frame pacing charts that look like excitebike tracks. The game is obviously a momenumental achievement but It's just disappointing that the performance mode is like this. I'd accept a mode that looks way worse in terms of detail if it could just hit a more consistent frame rate.
It's an option the developers are offering to consumers on consoles with Jaguar CPU's who don't mind playing an unlocked framerate above a locked 30fps. It's also future proofing the game when it hits next gen consoles with more powerful CPU's and the framerate will be more stable or locked through BC.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I have put ridiculous hours into the main game and Hearts of Stone and I didn't notice those problems at all. In fact I find this one of the smoothest 30fps games I've played in a while. When I rotate the camera around it feels very smooth to me.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Xbox X cant run that game at 60fps. That's not the developers fault.
And if you have a 1060 that can probably easily manage 60fps with some setting adjustments.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And even if I did drop money on a gaming PC it's not exactly a guarantee for good frame pacing either. I'm playing monster hunter world on a gtx 1060/i7 combo and the game is littered with microstutting.

You already have a system that can run The Witcher 3 at 60fps, lmao...

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
And even if I did drop money on a gaming PC it's not exactly a guarantee for good frame pacing either. I'm playing monster hunter world on a gtx 1060/i7 combo and the game is littered with microstutting.
What does Monster Hunter have to do with Witcher 3? That system can handle Witcher 3 with a locked 60fps and stable frame pacing.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Your PC could handle Witcher 3 at 60 FPS with most of the settings cranked up. Also...

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
[...]
Witcher 3 at 1080p and 60fps will be ~$500 atm, just to be pedantic. Your current PC is fine enough.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
About console Witcher 3, was it the Xbox or PS4 that had noticeable bugs? I think it was pop-in and/or lighting issues (though I might be confusing 2 different problems). Were they ever fixed?

You don't need to spend $2000 to hit 60 fps. I finished the base game on my old GTX 780 and was pretty much averaging 60 fps at near max settings, 1080p.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

This has to be some sort of bait/trolling.

I refuse to believe someone actually wrote this in a serious manner.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
"consumers"

😬
Variable frame rate will have variable frame pacing so I'm not sure why the OP is angry. Yes, its not a stable 60fps but unlocked frame rate is not going to have stable frame pacing.
Xbox X cant run that game at 60fps. That's not the developers fault.
Then they shouldn't have added the ridiculous "performance" mode to begin with. No person in their right mind should choose ~45FPS over stable 30.

And just because I have a PC where I myself could play this game at what I want doesn't mean that adding a garbage "performance" mode is suddenly OK. What about all my console brothers out there slugging it having to deal with terrible performance and (side issue) loading times? The new consoles can't come soon enough because even with something like the one X console gaming is still an irritating experience.

Also I swear to god if I buy the PC version and the frame pacing is still fucking shit I'm charging my credit card bill to Resetera.com LLC

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
What does Monster Hunter have to do with Witcher 3? That system can handle Witcher 3 with a locked 60fps and stable frame pacing.
It's another game where the developers did not give one single fuck about frame pacing despite the fact that playing it with a smooth frame rate elevates the experience to transcendance.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao you can easily run TW3 maxed out 60fps on 1080p with these

EDIT: post made just a bit too late it seems

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"consumers"

😬

Then they shouldn't have added the ridiculous "performance" mode to begin with. No person in their right mind should choose ~45FPS over stable 30.

And just because I have a PC where I myself could play this game at what I want doesn't mean that adding a garbage "performance" mode is suddenly OK. What about all my console brothers out there slugging it having to deal with terrible performance and (side issue) loading times? The new consoles can't come soon enough because even with something like the one X console gaming is still an irritating experience.

Also I swear to god if I buy the PC version and the frame pacing is still fucking shit I'm charging my credit card bill to Resetera.com LLC

The PC version runs fine. The game benefits a lot from 60 FPS.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you have a PC that could do 60fps easily. Why not just play it there? Game can be had for cheap nowadays.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
"consumers"

😬

I'm pretty sure some people are less sensitive to frame pacing issues, so having such an option would still work for them and provide a higher perceived framerate and better experience.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
"consumers"

😬

Install RTSS https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html
Set the Framerate cap there to 60fps.
Disable internal framerate cap.

or better: via Durante https://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-witcher-3-analysis-the-alchemy-of-smoothness/

"disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS"

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
"consumers"

😬

I totally agree that performance modes should have locked frame rates. This game is pretty old at this point though, so keep that in mind.

Some games do performance modes well, others don't. But yeah... Your PC should outperform your Xbox in most aspects (if you're not looking to game at 4K)

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Is it safe to assume there'll be a PS5 version and it'll be a smooth 60fps? I've yet to really play through Witcher 3 and I might as well wait until then at this point.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing with a 570 and it runs at a stable vsync 60fps 1080p with high settings/ultra textures. Through Proton, no less.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure some people are less sensitive to frame pacing issues, so having such an option would still work for them and provide a higher perceived framerate and better experience.
I'm actually super envious of people that can just play games with ass frame pacing and not feel sick or get a headache. There's a lot of console games I just don't play, drop off of (bloodborne) or wait until PC port because having that garbage performance makes playing the game a miserable experience.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Xbox One x has freesync which helps a lot in your situation.
But you need a monitor/tv that supports this technology.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is this the first time you've tried perfomance mode on console? Half the time they aren't even close to locked 60 under load. Tomb Raider, Gears and God of War are running in the 50s in heavy combat and certain areas a lot of the time.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time you've tried perfomance mode on console? Half the time they aren't even close to locked 60 under load. Tomb Raider, Gears and God of War are running in the 50s in heavy combat and certain areas a lot of the time.
The only other console games I really played on the one X was Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden 2 (which used to run like shit on 360 and now runs amazing) and Forza Horizon 4 which all ran like butter so...

Every time I go back to the box I am reminded why I went to PC. I can't imagine what the ps4 pro is like if it's worse.

Ohhh, so that's why every time I try to get into that game (same One X version) I get a headache 20 minutes in that makes me quit.
I for one am glad I'm not the only one, but also sorry to hear it. This thread was making me feel like an insane person.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I mean if you care about framerate and smoothness you should be playing on PC and you already have one that is capable of playing TW3 very well. I agree though it is sad the performance level people let these console versions get away with. Especially a huge adventure game like TW3 where people are spending upwards of 100 hours in this choppy mess. I still remember the bog around release, it was basically 20fps on ps4 and xbone and the only way they 'fixed' it was to reduce the actual effects like fog and smoke that make the bog a cool environment.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

It was a quick enhancement patch released over two years after the game released. Seems like you're blowing things out of proportion given that.

They could've... done nothing, and nobody would've been mad. But they went back and got a great performing 4k mode and a performance mode that's okay for what it is.

Maybe play it on a FreeSync enabled monitor if it bugs you that much?

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
It was a quick enhancement patch released over two years after the game released. Seems like you're blowing things out of proportion given that.

They could've... done nothing, and nobody would've been mad. But they went back and got a great performing 4k mode and a performance mode that's okay for what it is.

Maybe play it on a FreeSync enabled monitor if it bugs you that much?
"stop thinking consume great product"

"buy more product to consume product smoother"

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I too played Witcher 3 on XBX and I found it making me a little sick until I turned off motion blur.

Might be worth a go OP to see if that helps.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
Well the reality is that frame pacing is an enthusiast concern, if it's something really bothers you, get something that helps mitigate the problem for you i guess
Like, why though?

You don't have to be an enthusiast to think "this game feels like shit" or "playing this game makes me feel ill/gives me a headache" the only difference between me and someone who is less of a nerd is that they might not have the language to express why the game made them feel that way in the first place.

I'm pretty sure every human being on earth likes a game that feels snappy and responsive and -more importantly- smooth. And I think the trend devs are moving towards with dynamic res and dynamic whatever the fuck else are destroying frame times and turning games into a stuttery mess all for a couple extra pixels

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I would love to know how many people who have zero frame of reference as to what framepacing is, actually passively notice it

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
im sure it sucks if it fluctuates between 60 and 30. Me i'd rather play it locked at 30. Either try that of if you dont care enough, don't continue playing.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but this sounds so hyperbolic. I played it on a launch PS4 with no issue.

I've always considered 60 FPS like a nice commodity, so it's not the end of the world when i play shit locked at 30 FPS.