• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you keep undiscovered locations enabled on the map?

• Yes I kept them on at all times

Votes: 147 65.9%
  • No I turned them off completely

Votes: 54 24.2%
  • I'd toggle them on and off for various reasons

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
My first play through I kept them on and cleared them all out in White Orchard. I actually enjoyed it even though at times it felt like I was just following from one to the next. Luckily the gameplay and quests were fun enough to not make much of an issue doing this. Although once I left White Orchard, I didn't make it a point to do them all in the later areas.

On my second run through, I decided to turn them off as it had been a while since I'd last played and thought I'd follow the advice of some saying to do this for a more exploratory type of experience. The reality is, I never really took the time to venture off and find them randomly and might have missed on a good bit. Miss anything crucial? Probably not.

Just stared another new game and I'm torn on which way to go. I'm thinking I'll keep them on but honestly I'm not sure, they both have their advantages.

And on a side note, what about the paths to objectives? I've always had those off and don't plan to change it.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I kept them on and even went to all of them in the base game map! It makes for great podcast listening hahaha. I would say to turn them on and if there are any on your way between quests, knock em out! Also, I kept objective paths on just because my dumb ass would get lost and sidetracked doing something else if I didn't hahaha

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I toggled depending on if I was in the mood to explore or not.

I think keeping them on at all times and having it be on by default was one of the few mistakes CDPR made with Witcher 3.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Keep them on just cause I wanted to see everything. Still a bunch of chests that weren't on the map, found lots of diagrams and formulas this way

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I kept them on and even went to all of them in the base game map! It makes for great podcast listening hahaha. I would say to turn them on and if there are any on your way between quests, knock em out! Also, I kept objective paths on just because my dumb ass would get lost and sidetracked doing something else if I didn't hahaha
I definitely can attest to the fact that it's very easy to get sidetracked when you're not specifically heading to a location via a waypoint line pointing the way. I have used the system in other games where the exploration wasn't really as inviting as it has been with this one and I can clearly see the benefit, as you mentioned. Luckily with TW3 I still enjoy getting sidetracked because I know it's gonna be a long haul from start to finish and hate to think I'm missing out on a lot.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Off in Skellige after I did all land ones, as I'd end up getting all the sea ones if I didn't, I kept them on in the other places for the most part though. There's still a lot of PoIs to find that aren't marked.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I kept them on. I only have so much time to explore games and tbh the exploration in W3 was still extremely enjoyable. Many times I would go off course anyway because it felt right. BotW was a similar experience for me. It's fantastic developers are giving customers these options now.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah I kept them on, didn't bother me at all. I just didn't go there, unless they happened to be right on the way I was going to anyway. Not even always then though.

When I started the game for the first time, I also did clear everything at White Orchard and decided to clear all of those marks in the future too. But then when I moved along and saw the new map...
giphy.webp

I've been clearing those in the new game + though, still not nearly all of them. There's occassionally some interesting stories in those too, but I wouldn't advice anyone to check out points of interests like I recommend doing all the side quests and contracts.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Much better experience just to turn them off. Quest will guide you to critical areas.

I kept them on. I only have so much time to explore games and tbh the exploration in W3 was still extremely enjoyable. Many times I would go off course anyway because it felt right. BotW was a similar experience for me. It's fantastic developers are giving customers these options now.

BotW has a completely different system. It doesn't really point out any landmarks outside of towers and shrines you discover. It's a much better way to handle open world games.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yup, set them to turn off after you did what you need to do at them. Made me like clearing them out and leaving the map clean. Nice podcast system. ? to ? to ? - except the Skellige Sea ones. Fuck those ones.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have turned them off on new game plus but probably should do so in my current playthrough as I'm not really doing them now as it's my fifth playthrough and want to get through the main quest.

The only quests you seem to miss are treasure hunt ones which may have some letters on corpses to read, nothing major and nothing missable I believe. There are quite a lot of hidden event quests out in the world though so taken paths you might otherwise have avoided may result in a short quest. There's also a good number of odd stuff you can find which you may miss if you are beelining points of interest.

You do get experience of course for doing them and there are the places of power that give skill points but exp and level doesn't matter that much if you are going to do most or all quests, you will probably over level anyway, and I can't see much benefit in being exp efficient (it's bloody hard to be truly exp efficient anyway).

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Turned them off once I realized it was all non-essential content. Stumbling on that stuff naturally while exploring & travelling was preferable to treating Witcher 3 like a checklist game. Though if I was at sea I'd sometimes turn them on to treasure hunt.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I always keep markers on for open world games. Despite that, I like it when developers put stuff in that's unmarked lol.

Seems hypocritical but whatever.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow - whole game? I tried (as I often do with Rockstar's games) but just often find it too difficult to navigate after a while.
I've done it once too and it's surprisingly playable, probably due to witcher senses and a familiarity with the game. Not sure if it's worth recommending to new players but it's pretty cool because you don't constantly look at the mini map.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I turned them off immediately upon starting the game, and it improved my experience immensely. I still found almost all of them on my own.

Honestly, every open-world game should have to option to turn that shit off. I prefer to stumble upon hidden stuff organically. Just going to each icon on a map in sequence turns the whole game into a checklist simulator which in my opinion just defeats the whole purpose of it being an open-world game.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Turned them off my first time through and turned off the mini map entirely my second. The zones are well built enough to navigate without help imo, but I'm also the weirdo who has never fast traveled in like 160 hours of playing the game.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Turned them off my first time through and turned off the mini map entirely my second. The zones are well built enough to navigate without help imo, but I'm also the weirdo who has never fast traveled in like 160 hours of playing the game.
Wow no fast travel at all? Impressive. This is one thing I try to do as little as I can but I find I just do it more and more. I hate that I don't have the patience although it doesn't help when my brain says 'hey you've already been through this area, stop wasting time running through it all once again!'

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Wow no fast travel at all? Impressive. This is one thing I try to do as little as I can but I find I just do it more and more. I hate that I don't have the patience although it doesn't help when my brain says 'hey you've already been through this area, stop wasting time running through it all once again!'

When I find myself wanting to skip stuff I enjoy like riding Roach around and enjoying the scenery/music it's usually an indication that I need a break.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
When I find myself wanting to skip stuff I enjoy like riding Roach around and enjoying the scenery/music it's usually an indication that I need a break.
Sounds like you're really invested in the experience. I envy those like you. I feel so often that I'm just going through a checklist even with stuff disabled. Just that rush to keep moving from quest to quest. Need to learn to just... slow... down.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Kept them off and would occasionally turn them on just to see what else was out there and general direction if I felt like doing some checklist stuff.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like you're really invested in the experience. I envy those like you. I feel so often that I'm just going through a checklist even with stuff disabled. Just that rush to keep moving from quest to quest. Need to learn to just... slow... down.

Eh just pick your battles. If I was playing a post-2 Far Cry game or something I'd immediately turn on all the map stuff because I'm sure it's not a world I could get invested in. But something like W3 is so incredibly my style of game that I wanted to savor every bit of it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I turned off the mini map all together at some point and enjoyed exploration a lot more. You can't do that with every game but the open world was well designed and natural enough to work.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I kept them on. If I felt like some diversion from questing would be fun, I'd check out some PoI nearby, otherwise I just ignored them.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I basically never use fast travel in open-world games (unless it's like a turn-based JRPG or something).

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I end d up doing them all eventually post game. Every single damn one. In many cases I stumbled on small and I retesting scenarios like remains of travellers or ruins.

Skellige ones were the worst, incredibly dull..

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no.

Keeping them on makes the game objectively way worse. They're useless anyway.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Turned them off. They're there so the game isn't empty outside of the stuff they actually put effort into.

I don't think you're supposed to go to every one.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know you could disable them. It would have made the game more enjoyable since I wouldn't have endless marks taunting me.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They were for the initial chunk, but I eventually turned them all off and it made me enjoy the game a lot more. The world felt much more exciting to just roam around in when previously I wasn't feeling that aspect much at all.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Kept them on.

Visited them all. Because I'm an idiot.

"I mean, sure, the last 15 question marks in this ocean have either been floating boxes of useless shit or tiresome fights with water harpies, but maybe, just maybe, this next one is something totally amazing!"

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Turned them off so the world would feel more dynamic and alive when I stumbled onto places/situations/etc

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Anyone know if it's possible to disable the objective marker from the mini-map? Not just the paths, I have those off ofc. I like to have the mini-map up for directional reasons as a compass but I really don't want a large glowing marker on the edge pointing me where I need to go. Would rather pull up the map, tell myself the general direction and then just get there how I see fit. On PC btw.

If not, is there a way to disable the mini-map and then get some type of compass? Not sure if there are mods for this kinda stuff in the game.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enabled on first play and disabled on second.
I recommend using them for White Orchard and disabling them as soon as person reaches Vizima castle.

If not, is there a way to disable the mini-map and then get some type of compass? Not sure if there are mods for this kinda stuff in the game.

I used a mod that hides minimap and quest info and shows them only in witcher sense. Worked perfectly for me but not sure if the mod is still up to date.

I also recommend Immersive Cam and its submods, improves controls and QoL significantly.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Off, and I think I'm going to do my final playthrough without any HUD elements.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I used a mod that hides minimap and quest info and shows them only in witcher sense. Worked perfectly for me but not sure if the mod is still up to date.

I also recommend Immersive Cam and its submods, improves controls and QoL significantly.
Thanks, I'll check these out!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mostly kept them off. I would turn them on though occasionally if I was having trouble finding something in particular.

I really need to do a 3rd playthrough. Easily GOTG for me.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Kept them on and went to ones that were around my current location,except in Skellige because all those ones in the sea were pointless time wasters.The game took me 200hrs anyway.