• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Great that they got the fix out only a few weeks after the problem popped up. I think some were worried that this would be pushed to the back burner because of other projects behind-the-scenes.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I'll wait for DF to confirm that it is actually fixed. Knowing CD Projekt Red, they probably fixed this issue only to introduce another issue.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great that they got the fix out only a few weeks after the problem popped up. I think some were worried that this would be pushed to the back burner because of other projects behind-the-scenes.

"worried" is an understatement based on some of the posts in 1.61 thread

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the older thread, I rather wait a while before downloading this patch, so that maybe Digital Foundry or someone else can test it first. I didn't download the prior patch that messed so much stuff up, so I'm in no hurry.

With "increases foliage draw distance" they actually mean reincreases foliage draw distance, right? It didn't receive any improvementsover it's pre-messed up settings?

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the older thread, I rather wait a while before downloading this patch, so that maybe Digital Foundry or someone else can test it first. I didn't download the prior patch that messed so much stuff up, so I'm in no hurry.

With "increases foliage draw distance" they actually mean reincreases foliage draw distance, right? It didn't receive any improvementsover it's pre-messed up settings?
Me too. Already ask Dark1x on twitter for seeing that.
Hope they adress, I want to give another try. Still missing 2 trophies.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
These guys are a great Dev. Rarely do you see this much effort in post release patches. Development is very hard and bugs happen. Much respect for these folks

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would have been really great is if they had just never released a patch with this problem in the first place.

I don't see patches fixing problems they created as being worthy of any compliments.

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
So i wonder what compromise they took this time. Probably gonna find out shadows don't load 10 feet outside the player.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So i wonder what compromise they took this time. Probably gonna find out shadows don't load 10 feet outside the player.

Realistically there shouldn't be any compromise, HDR does not add any performance penalty.

The draw distance thing was most likely a glitch, it wasn't happening on the Pro before the HDR patch that bad. Some line of code must have caused it.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Now how about HDR for the PC version, eh CDPR?
I'm still a bit shocked this didn't happen. CDPR is such a PC focused company it's strange to me that the PC version gets left out of this feature. Who knows... now that console versions are fully working now (hopefully!) PC will get some HDR love as well. Glad to see this issue was fixed for the PS4 Pro.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
So fast? Really? And I wouldn't be surprise if it runs even worse before the HDR stuff. I mean I don't remind the fps struggle so much during the rain with this patch. I noticed it immediately.

Sony authorisation process takes some time, it's not a first party studio where they can drop patches every day [looking at you GoW]. Besides, the game's 3 year old so they didn't have to do jack shit in the first place, so yeah, I can kind of see where ghostcrew's coming from.

Ultimately I think that whole HDR kerfuffle wasn't worth it for CDPR.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Didn't the framerate get worse after the last patch as well? I thought draw distance was only one of several problems introduced with this update.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
How good's the HDR in this?
The implementation was said to be "not great". Still better than no HDR. Here was EvilBoris's opinion:

kanuuna

So with the Witcher 3 it looks like either the lightining engine itself doesn't support some of the back end stuff to let HDR work it's magic (or perhaps it's simply not graded right?)

What I am often seeing is a very flat essentially SDR image, here this shot of the moon is all within SDR ranges. The glow from the campfire is also essentially SDR at this point.
But it's dark
ORXmBXs.jpg

We see almost the same thing here, except a tiny bit of 1000nit data on the moon, but nothing else we could consider being within the HDR range, notably the specular highlights in the water not reflecting anything even vaguely bright. You can also see a 1000nit torch in the background
gDaQM42.jpg

Now if we start to look at some other conditions, here we can see that this fire is actually brighter than the sun, this is really causing a loss of impact and again we essentially have an SDR image.
vHivFCF.jpg

And in daylight we are seeing weird things, facing the sun here Geralt's face is hitting 1000hits, as are a few rocks and items in the background. He actually looks pretty ghostly. But again, an SDR image with some misplaced bright spots.
EHmbqJq.jpg

And again, looking straight at the sun, a whole load of detail is missing where I would expect to see it, however even as an HDR screenshot it looks very similar....

8seNN4k.jpg

One thing I noticed as I was putting together this post was that my tonemapped image (which is a really quick and dirty uncomplicated representation of the HDR image in SDR) looked much closer to the actual in game images than any other game I have looked at before.

Now what we are seeing is a very sharp curve from when something is SDR to when it is suddenly HDR, as if once a specific 8bit colour threshold is reached it's pumping it straight to 1000nits.
This would explain the overall low dynamic range image we are seeing, as well as these sharp brightness ramps which bypass almost everything between 150-1000 nits.

So to confirm this I tried to get the same shot within the game when running in SDR and HDR, I then took the SDR shot and did a quick and dirty image adjustment to move the SDR image into an HDR-like code value range.

I then ran my filter across the top of them...
Xmptjh4.jpg

Nearly identical.

So I believe the game is taking that 8bit SDR image and automatically kicking out 1000nits as soon as anything approaches 255 white in SDR.

So what I think we are looking at with the Witcher 3 is essentially a quick and dirty pseudo-HDR effect, almost in the form of a post processing filter.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So fast? Really? And I wouldn't be surprise if it runs even worse after the HDR stuff. I mean I don't remind the fps struggle so much during the rain before. I remebered it wasn't stable but now I noticed immediately fps drops even more.

Maybe 'so fast' was a little much but I just mean good on them for getting back and fixing (what ended up being) a mistake. Good on them for not abandoning a three year old game.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add to the other impressions that it looks great on PS4 Pro now. I actually had been playing it on Xbox One X in the last couple days and I honestly can't tell a difference between the 2 in 4K*/30 mode

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
For the record the game was done years ago. I hate when fans call games incomplete or broken just because of some technical hiccups.
I don't think that's what they were getting at. CDPR have really struggled to get the Witcher 3 working well on the PS4. They did get there, but often each attempt to make the PS4 version better actually broke as much as it fixed. It took a long time, and many, many patches. It ended up in a great place though... until the HDR patch.

With a game so old, that CDPR had only reluctantly updated for the Pro, we all knew that they were keen to move on to other things. There was a legitimate concern that CDPR would step away, and that the final version on the PS4 would run worse than it had done previously. For one of the best games of this generation, that would've been a terrible shame.