• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
You need to work on your sales pitch.

I don't need to work on anything, if you're going to allow the personal opinions of a few twats to put you off visiting a beautiful lovely country with amazing people then that's you're own opinions champ

The current president of the United States is a sess Pitt of a human being, but that doesn't put me off any of my American friends or visiting

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This in particular is where i am at, especially the latter part. I condemn the things Adrian has said in GG, but i dont condemn every single voice that partakes in that discussion. Unfortunately, you have people, who do consider that all voices in GG are against women and even partake on personal conquest to silence one down. That to me seems to be the exact kind of reaction you should not do when you are anti-GG. You will always retain dissonant voices in this discussion, but personal witchhunts should not be part of that discussion, from either side of the argument, that is.

I should also add that from here, in the NL, Gamergate is a topic a lot more unknown to many gamers than that it is in America.

I do think thats a bit stretching, after all, all they added was ''The makers of Ethan Carter... BUT ALSO Bulletstorm''. Personally, i just found that a funny tactic, especially when the video went into that aiming modus that reminded me so much of Bulletstorm, so i definitely felt it was tongue-in-cheek humor right there.

It does go to show that the actions of one especially prominent member outshines the efforts of many. I am not particularly fond of it either, and i agree with what you are saying. This obviously is made with love, and its a shame that the game is getting so much flak because of the co-owner being a questionable personality.

''hold it right there dick tits.''

God the dialogue of Bulletstorm was so good. Cringey, but so good. That overly macho stuff when there is nothing to be macho about. So good.

That sadly doesn't mean some people will try either way to keep that side of the story an active one. And that's fine. Its different when its the only road you want to drive on and can't respect the others building on this game.

I do think however that a different spokesperson other than the co-owner should do all the talk for this game. The less that guy is in the ''spotlights'', the better.

Your GameCube is outdated? ;) But yes, PC only so far, Supreme Leader Galahad. (Love the name.)
Graphics Card my man, i though it was a good acronym LUL Thanks for the kindness

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I will agree that cultural differences, and in this case particularly those related to politics, can be complicated and should be taken into account. But I'm also seeing this post being used to push an inaccuracy to defend him and let him of faith lightl.

Adrian Chmielarz personally directed harassment at female journalists. I saw this happen. This is not guilt by association. This is not "oh, he didn't know what it was really about".

He directly participated in GamerGate himself, make no fucking mistake. And he has never apologized for it.

Even if he hadn't, supporting a movement when that movement has been about harassing women since its very inception is vile. You can bend over backwards making arguments why it's due to cultural differences and yadi yadi ya but it won't change that basic fact. I also find it condescending - he's a fully grown man that chose to participate in a harassment campaign organized by westerners. He's old enough to know what he's doing and we can criticize him for it.

Schmuck

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking awesome looking, loved that dodge and have always wanted a FPS to try that.

Hoping it's different than a standard FPS game though.

Lichdom: Battlemage has an entire crafting component designed to augment these types of dodges (they call it blinking) where if you hold down the blink button (space on PC) and charge it up, you'll create an aoe blast around you that can either damage, debuff or control everyone around you. Had a blast with that game, and Witchfire gives me vibes similar to it.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I will agree that cultural differences, and in this case particularly those related to politics, can be complicated and should be taken into account. But I'm also seeing this post being used to push an inaccuracy to defend him and let him of faith lightl.

Adrian Chmielarz personally directed harassment at female journalists. I saw this happen. This is not guilt by association. This is not "oh, he didn't know what it was really about".

He directly participated in GamerGate himself, make no fucking mistake. And he has never apologized for it.
Just to make certain that this is true, we need incriminating evidence.

Graphics Card my man, i though it was a good acronym LUL Thanks for the kindness
To be fair, i first thought you meant Gaming Computer XD and i wanted to finish the post with Lord Supreme Leader Galahad ;)

I also find it condescending - he's a fully grown man that chose to participate in a harassment campaign organized by westerners. He's old enough to know what he's doing and we can criticize him for it.
Its too bad that his behavior directly infects the other members of The Astronauts who haven't said those things.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adrian Chmielarz personally directed harassment at female journalists. I saw this happen.
Could you elaborate? That's a heavy accusation, and some proof is really necessary. edit: If the evidence has disappeared for whatever reason, an account of what you saw would be useful.

Last edited:

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Sure it's not exactly a fun place for anyone that isn't straight and white but.... It is far from a shitty country
You have just described the very definition of "a shitty country": one where people are harassed or oppressed using idiotic excuses.

And it will come a time when naturally things will evolve, as they usually do, that that backwards and uninformed mindset will become inadequated and have no place in the world at that moment.
Things do not evolve without selection pressure. The societal improvement only happens if the stupid ideas are openly discussed, and explicitly rejected. That's how the future learns to be better.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
You have just described the very definition of "a shitty country": one where people are harassed or oppressed using idiotic excuses.

Things do not evolve without selection pressure. The societal improvement only happens if the stupid ideas are openly discussed, and explicitly rejected. That's how the future learns to be better.

I Literally give up, yes the countries politics and has a problem in some circles, but feel free to generalise a entire people's or country because portions offend your sensibility's

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing said about platforms yet, right?

When they showed this trailer it got me thinking about how I'd like a forest in a new Elder Scrolls to look like that. Of course that's never ever going to happen with that ancient engine they got now.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I Literally give up, yes the countries politics and has a problem in some circles, but feel free to generalise a entire people's or country because portions offend your sensibility's
This is confused. "Country" is a collective noun, not a reference to specific persons. I'm sure many individual Poles are great human beings. That doesn't mean the country as a whole can't be shitty, especially since you yourself said the country in general contains common racist and sexist feeling.

Also, if racism and sexism don't also offend your sensibilities, then you are a bad specific person, no matter what country you're from.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
This is confused. "Country" is a collective noun, not a reference to specific persons. I'm sure many individual Poles are great human beings. That doesn't mean the country as a whole can't be shitty, especially since you yourself said the country in general contains common racist and sexist feeling.

Also, if racism and sexism don't also offend your sensibilities, then you are a bad specific person, no matter what country you're from.

No I understand fully, and I do get offended by these things, however ... I would not consider a country "shitty" because of politics and the atmosphere that lingers with it.

Poland, Burma and a few other country's I have lived in all have serious problems, that need fixing.
But the country's and people as a whole are amazing.

It seems the hate etc is engraved in to the cultures like a racist grandfather type situation.
I just have no idea how to remove it from
These places.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Not to derail too much but there's plenty of goodness that can be found in places that have strife. I'm partially Pakistani, and I don't think it's contradictory to say that the country has some areas that can be very regressive towards women and non-Muslim ideologies, and at the same time it has some of the most natural beauty and interesting landmarks that I've encountered in my travels. My other half is Texan, another place where you have to struggle with the politics of the area, and the absolute beauty of the landscape.

Similarly, Morfid can be critical of Poland's politics and racial history, and still think that there's plenty worthwhile to find in the country. Witcher III, this site's Holy Grail to some, owes so much of its identity to Polish folklore that trying to interpret the game removed from its culture would be nearly impossible. That said, I can understand how POC and more marginalized groups could read something like "it's not a place for people who aren't straight or white" as outright dismissive. As Poland and its neighbors become more open to tourism, that is a cultural norm that is going to be challenged more and more often.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would stop this discussion about the developer?

If he came out and said "Gamer gate is awful, I'm very sorry that I participated in it."

An extremely simple thing to do, especially if he was "mislead" into thinking it was a free speech movement at the time as some of you are attesting to. Something which is easily debunked by the first search result in Google.

But, he's not. Which only leads me to believe that he still supports hate groups that harass women for existing.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

But they are not being discussed, this "final say" position of "ideas should be rejected" only harms the idea of discussion even more.
People should be allowed to be wrong, but above all learn respect.

The prospect that "calling out bad behaviour will make changes" is nothing but a fantasy. At some point a whole bunch of people will be put on a box and by that same virtue will feel empowered and the attrition begins anew later.

Peer pressure isn't a discussion, is a fundamentalist dictatorship, no matter how "right" (huh) a specific pov seems to be. Even those sympathetic to said views, will feel afraid of expressing any thoughts lest it manages to drag them to the same "box" the other side belongs to.

I'm far away from being a "love&peace" person, call me a borderline misanthropic, but fucking hell, I try. I try and try and try to reach people, across all mindsets and beliefs and it is always the same thing "this is the truth, everything else isn't" from all sides. Every single time.

People can't accept different views, they need to shut it down, silence, combat instead of working it out.

And now just to piss on my cheerios, the far right actually made this a "weapon" and it already infected everyone. The "left" today unknowingly fell so deep into the far right trap, it has become quite maddening and depressing.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If he came out and said "Gamer gate is awful, I'm very sorry that I participated in it."

An extremely simple thing to do, especially if he was "mislead" into thinking it was a free speech movement at the time as some of you are attesting to. Something which is easily debunked by the first search result in Google.

But, he's not. Which only leads me to believe that he still supports hate groups that harass women for existing.
I think this is worth reading. https://medium.com/@adrianchm/a-gam...te-the-ugly-the-bad-and-the-good-1a9fce126709 It paints a fairly comprehensive picture of how he perceived GG, at least in 2015.

"#GamerGate is a weird hashtag. People using it — at least some of them — fight really hard for it to lose relevance and disappear. Just imagine: ethical journalism and true diversity of opinion. Boom, #GamerGate gone.

I know, I know. Some people would keep using it for the wrong reasons, some would want it to be a watchdog (in that case, personally I am not a big fan of the hashtag. Literally, I just think #GamerGate as a hashtag does not work in this case). But still, a lot of people behind the tag would love for it to not have a reason to exist anymore.

Those people I admire. For a year they have been under an unprecedented attack, having influential authoritarians and mass media against them in the worst ways imaginable. I've seen this during the communism, but I never thought I'd see anything like this in a supposedly freedom-loving world.

To fight this poison pumped into your veins every day of the last year must have been incredibly exhausting. And yet, a year later, the movement did not shrink, and did not flinch. Astonishing. I guess there is some truth to it that choosing gamers as the next target of a cultural colonialism was not the wisest of moves."

Another notable point would be:

"However, an anti-harassment organization co-led by Alex Lifschitz is like an anger management class taught by Lobo. Not only a mistake, but a mistake of potentially severe consequences. And while Lobo is not real, Alex Lifschitz is, even if he does try to co-run an organization the acronym of which is a CON.

What has Alex Lifschitz done?

He attempted to ruin our game — the result of two years of hard work of an eight-person team plus a dozen of cooperators — by tweeting heavy experience-ruining spoilers to tens of thousands of people."

I remember that incident, if only because Ian Miles Cheong was one of the people jumping on the "spoil Ethan Carter to spite the devs" bandwagon. There was a huge amount of spite floating around, and a number of figures went out of their way to shit on Ethan Carter, which I imagine only served to reinforce Adrian's belief that there were game developers being punished for not toeing the party line. That the "journalist integrity" angle of GG had merit. This is an extremely complicated subject. Someone earlier mentioned that they had witnessed him engaging in harassment, and I'd like to hear more about that.

You'll note of course the fact he often draw parallels between these "authoritarians and mass media" and the communists who tormented his homeland. This is a very... tricky subject with a lot of baggage.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I would not consider a country "shitty" because of politics and the atmosphere that lingers with it.
Not to derail too much but there's plenty of goodness that can be found in places that have strife. I'm partially Pakistani, and I don't think it's contradictory to say that the country has some areas that can be very regressive towards women and non-Muslim ideologies, and at the same time it has some of the most natural beauty and interesting landmarks that I've encountered in my travels.
Of course you can find deep wellsprings of both natural and human beauty anywhere on earth, even side-by-side with extreme ugliness. But if the presence of such good disqualifies the entire place from being bad, then what countries can we call "shitty"? There are laudable people in every place and time, including Stalinist Russia, Maoist China, Khmer Cambodia, or any other "worst context" you can devise.

It's a necessity that we call out the worst aspects of even the best places. That we acknowledge how evil thrives in obscurity, and taints the good it comingles with--refer to the Catholic church.

And more, it's best for us to not settle comfortably into our own situation, privileged as that can be. Our better nature is goaded through empathy. In places of mixed character, the good parts may be literally without meaning for the powerless. To a person of color or a believer in the "wrong" religion, no amount of pretty terrain or smiling people can balance justified continual fear of harassment, harm, or even death. For them, the country may be entirely shitty. I choose to support their view, even if I could conveniently enjoy all the country's benefits and never be touched by terror.

It seems the hate etc is engraved in to the cultures like a racist grandfather type situation.
I just have no idea how to remove it from
These places.
Me either, but here's what I've tried with my own racist relatives and bigoted strangers in my culture: don't let their filth pass without comment. Of course, it's one thing to argue with your doddering elder family, and quite another to speak out in an oppressive society. I'm not at all sure I would have the courage to be openly anti-Nazi in WWII Germany, as some people were at the cost of their freedom or lives. I can only try to do what I can.

Thus I say the world is a terrible place, not from nihilistic despair but because it's so full of hope, joy, and enthusiasm. It is terrible those things are forbidden to anyone, anywhere.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
But they are not being discussed, this "final say" position of "ideas should be rejected" only harms the idea of discussion even more.
People should be allowed to be wrong, but above all learn respect.
Of course people are allowed to be wrong. And their individual humanity must be kept in view, no matter what they espouse. This absolutely does not entail that their untrue beliefs should be respected.

The prospect that "calling out bad behaviour will make changes" is nothing but a fantasy.
I do not mean denunciation of wrongthinkers here. Calling out in this sense isn't the process of tarring individuals, but of making their inhumane ideas clear, and condemning those. Gandhi's satyagraha was perhaps the most idealistic application of this concept: adhering so completely to the truth, that lies must wither and fail. Patience is the axle of change, not vilification. While I do not share Gandhi's implacable resolve nor his passionate belief in painful endurance, I embrace the base commitment to truth. By clearly rejecting bad ideas, with reason, I do not necessarily hope to eliminate them in the speaker (or at least not in a single swoop). I argue so that anyone observing can see that a contrary position exists, know that debate is allowable, and measure the greater merit. And I do so to ensure that my own position is not dogma, that it incorporates all my best knowledge and is rational and defensible in the face of opposition.

I'm far away from being a "love&peace" person, call me a borderline misanthropic, but fucking hell, I try. I try and try and try to reach people, across all mindsets and beliefs and it is always the same thing "this is the truth, everything else isn't" from all sides. Every single time.
But there is truth. Sticking with it is exactly the right thing to do. The difficulty, of course, is that myriad people have settled on different premises as being true. The correct response to this is not to proclaim all sides equally confused. It's to find those on the side of truth, bolster their position, and defend it during debate. For instance, it's incumbent upon scientists (and interested laymen) to reiterate the truth of evolution in the face of questioning, again and again as new generations take up the question. Over time, we trust it becomes apparent to the audience of the world that so much evidence can only be rejected by a perverse mind.

On a more fundamental level, I just don't believe the idea that everyone you've ever met is totally inflexible. Or if it's true that you've encountered nothing but committed idealogues, you're an extreme outlier. People can listen, can change...slowly, achingly slowly, with great effort and repeated backsliding. Some of their trajectories end where they began. But others do not. Thoughts, beliefs, personality, prejudices, behavior--all can vary over the long course of a life. They have for me, and I'd be surprised if not for you. This is how there has been notable cultural change through history. (Unless you have a mathematically rigorous evolutionary model for why babies are, for example, leaving the womb less sexist with each generation.)

People can't accept different views, they need to shut it down, silence, combat instead of working it out.
I'm proposing the exact opposite of shutdown and silence. The proponents of racist and sexist views should be encouraged--should be required--to loudly proclaim exactly what they believe, without euphemism or vagueness. Discussion should be open, not veiled; potent, not weaksauce.

If you can articulate specifically what you mean by "working it out", I may well agree that it's the best course of action.

And now just to piss on my cheerios, the far right actually made this a "weapon" and it already infected everyone. The "left" today unknowingly fell so deep into the far right trap, it has become quite maddening and depressing.
You're subsuming vast swaths of people under the labels "far right" and "left", ignoring the true variety of impulse and ideas that exist within those sets. Isn't this precisely the boxing operation you've railed against as disrespectful?

I hope this allows you to see that such generalizing language is sometimes convenient, even for those people (such as, apparently, the both of us) who believe that individuals should be treated in all their particulars, and with humane estimation.

Nothing said about platforms yet, right?

When they showed this trailer it got me thinking about how I'd like a forest in a new Elder Scrolls to look like that. Of course that's never ever going to happen with that ancient engine they got now.
PC only for so far. No doubt it will go console too unless its as fast paced as Quake Champions.

It could also stop if people just focus on the game or be aware that sadly his antics also affect other people at the company who have nothing to do with it. I know it is allowed but in all honesty this whole meta-discussion should have been meta from the start somewhere else. That's just me however.

You will get that people wont believe him and instead call for action, and it will likely also wont generate that much interest - as is with pretty much everything really. Negative things have far more impact than positive ones. Even if he would turn completely around and do everything in the world to improve the situation, it will hardly be as discussed as it is now.*

*Just applying a general thought here.

That literally is nonsensical without any evidence to support it. Just because he does not come forth with any statement on his sayings (Which is rightly wrong), that does not mean he is still busy supporting hate groups. Its an easy assumption to make, but nonetheless an easy assumption.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, the argument of "you're hurting their livelihoods" doesn't really hold up under serious scrutiny for several reasons:

1) They're earning a salary making the game, and if they're not, that would mean they can walk away without strings attached and find paying work from a not-shit person.

2) People not buying the game only affects future projects by the studio. At that point, anyone who chooses to work for this company is making the choice to work for a known shit person.

3) There are many reasons to not buy a game and all of them "hurt livelihoods". If you don't buy it because you don't like that genre, you're "hurting their livelihoods". If you don't buy it because you're going to wait for a sale, you're "hurting their livelihoods." Or how about this? Maybe you're a low-income individual and you flat out can't afford the game, so you don't buy it and play your existing games? That's also "hurting livelihoods" if we follow the logic to its natural end point.

The whole point of capitalism (which I don't even like) is that you're not owed success. There are many reasons why people will not buy your game, and trying to shame them is not going to change their mind, because the consumer didn't do anything wrong. They have no obligation to support everyone in the industry. They literally can't, financially speaking. "I don't support this creator" is a perfectly fine and rational reason to not buy a game, and if the development house really cared about changing those peoples' minds, they'd do some serious self-reflection.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a moment I excepted some kind of Heretic type gameplay (with magic instead of firearms).

And then there's the gun. Meh.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Looking good, been a minute since we've seen an update on this. Hope it's close to release.

I get the feeling we are not :( They specified in their website the focus on a vertical slice to show to the public aaaand not knowing in which consoles they will put the game - for me this means they are not commiting to this gen - also, they are a team of five-ish people and this game seems to be much more ambitious than Ethan Carter.

But their website and devlogs are amazing, the gameplay snipets i found to be very charming and superb looking, very atmospheric too. This quiclky became one of my most wanted games! Hoping to be a gem :)

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
looks a lil janky overall, but the assets are gorgeous. i wonder what the world structure is like, a metroidvania/souls loop would be sick. hope there's some exploration at least.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
W-O-W!!!
These guys really know what they're doing. As a huge fan of the original Painkiller game and Bulletstorm, Witchfire sits right next to Gears 5 on my most wanted list.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Looking good, been a minute since we've seen an update on this. Hope it's close to release.

According to their web page, from last December:

"Nothing dramatic is happening. We're working on the game every day. It's just that eight people, even with the help of some amazing outsourcers and a fantastic engine (UE4) can't really move much faster with a project like this. We're looking for just one more programmer but we still want to remain a tight team for the time being. This might change in the future, when we have all features of the game fully proven."

"Still, we wouldn't expect the game to come out in 2019. However, 2020 sounds reasonable."

So still far away

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
According to their web page, from last December:

"Nothing dramatic is happening. We're working on the game every day. It's just that eight people, even with the help of some amazing outsourcers and a fantastic engine (UE4) can't really move much faster with a project like this. We're looking for just one more programmer but we still want to remain a tight team for the time being. This might change in the future, when we have all features of the game fully proven."

"Still, we wouldn't expect the game to come out in 2019. However, 2020 sounds reasonable."

So still far away

8 people? I thought that the team would be far bigger than that. Yea, I'm not expecting anything soon. See you in a couple of years :)