• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It honestly isnt relevant in a game announcement thread. It has been a while since he said it, so why do we need shed light about it again, and also on GG in general?
It's always relevant.
Why are you so emotionally invested? Enjoy the game if you want.
I won't and let people know who maybe don't know about it, so they can decide for themselves.

Game looks very awesome, right up my alley... but I won't support them. The end.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
The second big Milkshake Duck after The Last Night

Can't support Chmielarz, no matter how much talent he surrounds himself with.

No, I noted what a shame it is. This game does indeed look awesome. But I can't support those with opinions that seek to bring harm to or discriminate against others - simple. And judging from this thread, I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Shouldn't it be about the game in the end first and foremost? And its an game announcement even...

I am not supporting The Astronauts stance on GG, but that does not mean i am going to downplay their efforts on this game, as i see those two things completely seperately. The game itself has bugger all to do with GG, so why dismiss it on the basis of something completely else?

That's a stupid conclusion to jump to. I liked Ethan Carter but doesn't mean I support GamerGate or that guy's opinions.
Exactly. This is what makes all those ''Oh, they are Gamergate, well then screw this game then'' so offputting. This game has nothing to do with it. Heck, for all we know, the protagonist might be female.

I won't and let people know who maybe don't know about it, so they can decide for themselves.
At this point, if one still does not know about Gamergate, its better for everyone. Heck, i felt that whole discussion finally died a silent death. But here we are, with users feeling the need to ''inform'' others about this. Its not needed. Not in this thread.

Dont like the game because of GG? Good. Then don't ruin the fun for everyone else who can see the game and the statements of a co-owner seperately.

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that will annoy me, though tbh, just because the studio head is so... does not make the whole studio.

Of course, you are correct about that. Still, he has chosen to represent his company in that manner and I don't see anyone else on the team speaking out against him.

Edit: People seem confused. No one is saying you are a gamergate supporter if you are excited for this game. I, however, don't want to give my money to someone who openly supports gamergate. That's all.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't it be about the game in the end first and foremost? And its an game announcement even...

I am not supporting The Astronauts stance on GG, but that does not mean i am going to downplay their efforts on this game, as i see those two things completely seperately. The game itself has bugger all to do with GG, so why dismiss it on the basis of something completely else?

Exactly. This is what makes all those ''Oh, they are Gamergate, well then screw this game then'' so offputting. This game has nothing to do with it. Heck, for all we know, the protagonist might be female.

At this point, if one still does not know about Gamergate, its better for everyone. Heck, i felt that whole discussion finally died a silent death. But here we are, with users feeling the need to ''inform'' others about this. Its not needed. Not in this thread.

Dont like the game because of GG? Good. Then don't ruin the fun for everyone else who can see the game and the statements of a co-owner seperately.
Gamergate didn't die a silent death. It directly led to the USA having a racist, sexist bigot for a president.

It's too bad the talent involved in this game chose not to sideline Chmielarz, because having him as lead developer (studio head even?) is basically a statement at this point.

Nov 13, 2017
I don't even know what anyone in this thread is talking about? Like... does anyone have specific and concrete examples that show the horrible things these developers have done? Because this "GG supporter" is hearsay otherwise. I was just talking with my friends about how awesome this game looked... then came here and saw people talking about things that apparently literally nobody else cares about, without actually giving any examples.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I don't even know what Gamergate is.
Being ignorant of one of the biggest problems this industry has had over the past few years is not something to be glad about.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the trailer and don't know much about what the lead developer of this game has said in the past. This thread is the first I've heard of him being a GG supporter. That's something for me to read up on.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Day one on this, i don't care about this GG thing, i'm not boycotting a game only because a head of a studio is a Gamergater.

This looks so promising.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't even know what anyone in this thread is talking about? Like... does anyone have specific and concrete examples that show the horrible things these developers have done? Because this "GG supporter" is hearsay otherwise. I was just talking with my friends about how awesome this game looked... then came here and saw people talking about things that apparently literally nobody else cares about, without actually giving any examples.

I'm curious about this too. Could we get a rundown of the man's crimes? It seems like it's assumed that everyone already knows what the guy did.

Of course, you are correct about that. Still, he has chosen to represent his company in that manner and I don't see anyone else on the team speaking out against him.

Edit: People seem confused. No one is saying you are a gamergate supporter if you are excited for this game. I, however, don't want to give my money to someone who openly supports gamergate. That's all.
I find it concerning that so many have to call out the studio head, when one does not even know if the studio themselves are okay with it. These are paid jobs, after all.
Also has nothing to do with the announcement itself but alas im already seeing the responses starting more and more to be about this than the game itself.

A shame. Because the game looks brilliantly.

Gamergate didn't die a silent death. It directly led to the USA having a racist, sexist bigot for a president.

It's too bad the talent involved in this game chose not to sideline Chmielarz, because having him as lead developer (studio head even?) is basically a statement at this point.
Somehow one found a way to insert Trump into a game announcement thread that couldnt be further from Trump by any means possible.

I'm curious about this too. Could we get a rundown of the man's crimes? It seems like it's assumed that everyone already knows what the guy did.
How about we talk about the game instead? You want to know what the co-owner did? Make a new thread for it. I doubt it will last long, Gamergate and all, but it would atleast not derail this topic any further than it already has been.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I find it concerning that so many have to call out the studio head, when one does not even know if the studio themselves are okay with it. These are paid jobs, after all.
Also has nothing to do with the announcement itself but alas im already seeing the responses starting more and more to be about this than the game itself.

A shame. Because the game looks brilliantly.

Somehow one found a way to insert Trump into a game announcement thread that couldnt be further from Trump by any means possible.
Chmielarz is a lead developer on this. That's a fact.

And it's easy to argue and clear to see that Gamergate led to, or at least, played a significant part in electing Trump. I wouldn't have had to bring that up if you hadn't said GG died a silent death, which literally couldn't be further from the truth.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they are going to what is essentially backwards for them from Ethan Carter, I wonder if they feel that a mystical FPS would just sell better these days.

Will decide if I'll buy it on Review Embargo Day, as usual with such games.

It's very much needed.
Has Adrian Chmielarz said anything new on the topic you think is "very much needed" in a thread about a new game announcement which is absolutely unrelated to it?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be about the game in the end first and foremost?
No. Absolutely, unquestionably not.

Gaming is fun. We all love playing games, it's why we're here. But it's a hobby. Creative director for this one is involved in a systematic harassment campaign hellbent on driving women and PoC out of the industry. That's way more important than whatever game he's made, no matter how cool it looks.

Nov 13, 2017
Until anyone actually posts something concrete about the supposed bad things these developers did, I'm going to double down on my excitement. Because it looks amazing. I might just buy 2 copies.

Litereally 0 people talking about this in any of the reddit threads for this game so far.

And it's easy to argue and clear to see that Gamergate led to, or at least, played a significant part in electing Trump. I wouldn't have had to bring that up if you hadn't said GG died a silent death, which literally couldn't be further from the truth.
I never argued otherwise about Chmielarz.
Also, the whole GG topic in this thread would not exist if one didnt bring it up in an attempt to ''inform'' others. All it does, as it is doing now since we are discussing about it, is derail the thread from what it should be about - The game. How does the game look? What kind of artstyle are they going for? What are seemingly their inspirations? And so on and so on.

It's very much needed.
At this point its such a hugely complex matter that not only does it not belong in this thread, i doubt explaining it in a seperate one would prove any beneficial. So no, its not needed, atleast not in this thread that is about a game announcement.

No. Absolutely, unquestionably not.

Gaming is fun. We all love playing games, it's why we're here. But it's a hobby. Creative director for this one is involved in a systematic harassment campaign hellbent on driving women and PoC out of the industry. That's way more important than whatever game he's made, no matter how cool it looks.
Oh my.. this is a game announcement thread. Its about the game, not about what the creative director did say or has done. Its about the game.

Were people also still pissy at John Romero and his Blackroom game when he wanted to make us his bitch with Daikatana? Likely because that had nothing to do with the game in question.

Just as how what the co-owner said about GG has nothing to do with Witchfire in general.

I'd love to, but it's increasingly clear to me that that isn't going to happen. See also: "A Hat in Time".
Yes, i am afraid that will be the case. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
How about we talk about the game instead? You want to know what the co-owner did? Make a new thread for it. I doubt it will last long, Gamergate and all, but it would atleast not derail this topic any further than it already has been.

I'd love to, but it's increasingly clear to me that that isn't going to happen. See also: "A Hat in Time".

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"cool a new Hexen/Painkiller, wonder what ERA thinks about this game!"

*enters thread, page after page of Gamergate shit, soapboxing, finger wagging, moral grandstanding, and no Hexen mentions*

"nevermind. I dont care what ERA thinks about this game!"

*enters thread, page after page of Gamergate shit, soapboxing, finger wagging, moral grandstanding, and no Hexen mentions*

It does look like Hexen doesn't it :) I also see Warhammer influence, and as earlier mentioned, Dark Souls.

Another influence might be Clive Barker's Jericho? I felt the core look looked a lot like that title. Dark fantasy is a great artstyle to go with it, as is clear with this game.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Until anyone actually posts something concrete about the supposed bad things these developers did, I'm going to double down on my excitement. Because it looks amazing. I might just buy 2 copies.

Litereally 0 people talking about this in any of the reddit threads for this game so far.
It's not that hard to google the name of the guy everyone is discussing. Unless you'd rather not find out.

Basically, he was a very vocal Gamergate supporter, and as such, said a whole lot of dumb shit and stirred up anger towards people who didn't deserve it.

Maybe you'll feel more at home at the old site. They'll be happy to have you.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I've got to say, the "from makers of walking sim ::beat:: ::whips out gun:: and the makers of these over the top shooters" was a pretty fucking clever way to make that reveal.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I personally dont care about the gamergate thing.

I think we all have bought one or two games from dev teams that had crazy racists, pedophiles and other bad people working on them. Its not a man one project, dont let one guys private life destroy for everyone else.

I hope this wont ruin the game because it looks super fun.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
When i first saw ethan carter, im like "Oh another walking simulator." Then the guns came. I think it looks great, but I want to know how far along are they. Can we expect this 2018, or will it be later?

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally dont care about the gamergate thing.

I think we all have bought one or two games from dev teams that had crazy racists, pedophiles and other bad people working on them. Its not a man one project, dont let one guys private life destroy for everyone else.

I hope this wont ruin the game because it looks super fun.

The thing is, equating Adrian Chmielarz with "crazy racists, pedophiles" is extremely unfair.
I googled "Chmielarz gamergate" and first result was this VICE article:
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...nionated-and-divisive-designer-and-critic-122

It is pretty clear that despite popular belief of some people here, Chmielarz is actually not a bad guy.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh ffs.

I love how this game looks, I also liked the style of Ethan Carter, and the "but also Bulletstorm.." reveal in the trailer was fantastic. I'm very much looking forward seeing more of this game and I think the title is great.
But also it's absolutely fine to be very, very aware of who made it and what that person stands for. Acknowledging a systematic campaign against the empowerment of women, against women in the gaming industry, an campaign that is also fueled by racism and helped making the current political climate what it is, to a great degree, does not equal "whining about the game". Personally I'm interested at this point, despite being strongly against Gamergate, but if people don't want to support the developer on his crusade, that's perfectly fine. If people want to talk about it, it should be perfectly fine, too.

This has nothing to do with "moral grandstanding", or, if some of you like the term better, "virtue signaling". It's basic compassionateness for victims of a hate group, it's understanding problems and it's making a point about one's own position in this mess. I'm sure ignoring it would be way easier, but the easiest way very rarely is also the best one. Either ignore posts about the gamergate controversy the dev puts himself into, or discuss it, but don't ridicule or try to shut down the people who care. That's just ignorant, especially so regarding a group that made "safe space" for their moral opponents a thing.

Well that was more text than intended.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The thing is, equating Adrian Chmielarz with "crazy racists, pedophiles" is extremely unfair.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...nionated-and-divisive-designer-and-critic-122

It is pretty clear that despite popular belief of some people here, Chmielarz is actually not a bad guy.

Sorry, my intention was not to compare him with that. Just a general statement towards people who boycott games after hearing that one of them is for example a gamergator.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Let's not derail this thread too much with Adrian Chmielarz talk (you can research both him and GG yourself)

There are other people involved in this game that do not deserve their work being seen through a certain lens just because Adrian made some highly questionable statements in the past. If you choose to not support this game because of them, that's absolutely fine, but also respect that there are people who are interested in this game

Back to topic

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT- Following mods recommendation above to keep on topic.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
I've got to say, the "from makers of walking sim ::beat:: ::whips out gun:: and the makers of these over the top shooters" was a pretty fucking clever way to make that reveal.

Thought it was very clever as well. Unlike most folks my thoughts were:

"Oh a great, spooky looking walking sim. I'm totally down for that! Ah, Vanishing of Ethan Carter was pretty good... WAIT WHAT?! BULLETSTORM AND PAINKILLER?! OKAY THAT'S FINE I'M PRETTY EXCITED FOR THIS TOO"

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Witch in the title implies the game will feature bonafide lady witch as a protagonist.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017

Chmielarz is trash with a knack for PR. That VICE article was ridiculed at time of release for being a fawning puff piece.

It's weird to have to explain Gamergate shit again, or the people who were really active in its discourse.

Last edited:
It's weird to have to explain Gamergate shit again, or the people who were really active in its discourse.
Honestly, you really don't have to. Its a controversial topic as is, so no need for it.

EDIT: Removed a bit that would require context beyond the scope of this thread, and without it, people will jump to the wrong conclusions.

they didnt announce platforms right?
Nope, but PC seems to be a given. Console ports not so sure. If this is as fast-paced as Painkiller and Necrovision were, it might require quite a lot of tweaking to get that feeling good on console. And yes, im aware of Painkiller on PS360 and Hell Wars on Xbox :)

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
Looks kind of cool. But also like a game that could easily go either way of being great or ... Some janky ass shit. Hoping for the best.

I'm so glad I don't even know what Gamergate is.

It's simple really

CY9z4MmWsAA-12M.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really can't agree. Working with Chmielarz at this point is a deliberate choice, and for the end result to be seen through that lens is completely justified.

Imagine tonight you find out your boss has said some questionable things in the past. Would you resign tomorrow? If so, consider yourself lucky to be in a position where you can throw away your livelihood so easily. Not everybody has that luxury.

If not, do you deserve to be tarred with the same brush for the crime of not quitting on principle?