• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, but PC seems to be a given. Console ports not so sure. If this is as fast-paced as Painkiller and Necrovision were, it might require quite a lot of tweaking to get that feeling good on console. And yes, im aware of Painkiller on PS360 and Hell Wars on Xbox :)

nah you may be right, i had the same hunch that it will be pc 100% but doubts on the console part. i have all their painkiller games on steam myself lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably been said many times but I'm getting some serious Blood vibes from this. Looks good.

Edit: Gamergate supporters though, no thanks. I have no problem with people that have different opinions but when you support something that vile, stupid and downright pathetic that actively harassed people incessantly and tried to ruin peoples lives for doing nothing wrong I refuse to support anything associated.

Last edited:

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Forgiving Gamergate? What am I reading... what forum am I on?
This is weird and sad.
+1
Imagine tonight you find out your boss has said some questionable things in the past. Would you resign tomorrow? If so, consider yourself lucky to be in a position where you can throw away your livelihood so easily. Not everybody has that luxury.

If not, do you deserve to be tarred with the same brush for the crime of not quitting on principle?
I wouldn't want work somewhere I know the boss to be a terrible human being. This didn't just happen last night. It happened years ago, likely before this project even started. So yeah. That said, I edited your quoted bit out of my post to respect Nibel's decision here.

Atleast read my post following up on it and my edit on it. I realized that it needed much more context in order for people to interpret it correctly. Unfortunately that is beyond the scope of this thread, so instead of people jumping to conclusions like DerFeef (And seemingly you do aswell with the +1) does, i rather have removed the bit altogether.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chmielarz is trash with a knack for PR. That VICE article was ridiculed at time of release for being a fawning puff piece.

It's weird to have to explain Gamergate shit again, or the people who were really active in its discourse.

You are not explaining anything though, all you did was call someone trash.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Atleast read my post following up on it and my edit on it. I realized that it needed much more context in order for people to interpret it correctly. Unfortunately that is beyond the scope of this thread, so instead of people jumping to conclusions like DerFeef (And seemingly you do aswell with the +1) does, i rather have removed the bit altogether.
Cool. Was a rather obvious conclusion to jump to, though, but I'm glad I misunderstood.
You are not explaining anything though, all you did was call someone trash.
Read Nibel's post. You'll manage, I'm sure.

Cool. Was a rather obvious conclusion to jump to, though, but I'm glad I misunderstood.
Yeah i had hoped that people read my earlier statement on not supporting the stance of the co-owner but i guess the thread went too fast for that. It was more about the other people at The Astronauts.

I do have to say that this and The Amazing Eternals are high on the list for most interesting artstyle currently in production. TAE has this amazing retro-scifi look on this that is quite unique, and this right here is also very cool looking.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
User has been banned (24h): GAF whining, history of warnings in threads discussing social aspects of video game culture.
Vanishing of Ethan Carter was great. Buying this.

:)

Whats all the gamergate talk? Is this GAF 2.0?

Lets just enjoy games people lol

Oct 25, 2017
I find it concerning that so many have to call out the studio head, when one does not even know if the studio themselves are okay with it. These are paid jobs, after all.
Also has nothing to do with the announcement itself but alas im already seeing the responses starting more and more to be about this than the game itself.

A shame. Because the game looks brilliantly.

I mean that's what you get when you throw in your support for a movement chasing women from their homes. Sorry not sorry.

I do agree that the game looks amazing and like I said previously; I'm a huge fan of Painkiller. Probably in my top 20 games of all time. So this sucks a lot for everyone involved but I'm still not going to give my money to a studio lead by Adrian.

Lets just enjoy games people lol

We're all glad you don't care about women in the games industry. You keep enjoying your games and the rest of us can discuss social issues in our favorite hobby if its alright with you. We can do both at the same time, I promise.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter was great. Buying this.

:)

Lets just enjoy games people ol

I mean that's what you get when you throw in your support for a movement chasing women from their homes. Sorry not sorry.

I do agree that the game looks amazing and like I said previously; I'm a huge fan of Painkiller. Probably in my top 20 games of all time. So this sucks a lot for everyone involved but I'm still not going to give my money to a studio lead by Adrian.

A reminder...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/witchfire-announced-the-astronauts-fps.10127/page-3#post-1879512

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Vanishing of Ethan Carter is still one of the best-looking games I've played, so I have no doubt that they'll hit the visuals shown in the Witchfire trailer.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Unoriginal observation incoming:
Oh look, it's The real Dark Souls of First-Person Shooters™! Sorry, LawBreakers.

Ahem...
In all honesty, however, it looks really wonderful and that this is coming from the people behind Bulletstorm and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter immediately caught my attention.

xinek

Oct 25, 2017
MN, USA
What a disappointment. I was super interested in the game, but there's no way I'm going to buy anything from someone who supported GG. I hope they make a statement to address it. Thanks to the poster(s) who called this out.

Mr.Flufferson

Oct 25, 2017
I loved ethan carter and walking simulator games in general, but I certainly won't be complaining about some bulletstorm style gameplay thrown into the mix. Looking forward to it.

Nov 13, 2017
The thing is, equating Adrian Chmielarz with "crazy racists, pedophiles" is extremely unfair.
I googled "Chmielarz gamergate" and first result was this VICE article:
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...nionated-and-divisive-designer-and-critic-122

It is pretty clear that despite popular belief of some people here, Chmielarz is actually not a bad guy.
Yup. After a little research, it seems he's not the "Gamergate supporter" everyone is claiming him to be.

Would be nice to get the thread back on track...

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. After a little research, it seems he's not the "Gamergate supporter" everyone is claiming him to be.

His actions have spoken for themselves loud enough, a self-congratulatory post written by the guy himself isn't what I'd call research. The thread is what it is, but you're doing just as much to derail it by posting that link and by stating he's not GG.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this whole "It should just be about how the game looks" nonsense...

Guess what; the lead developer was an outspoken GG supporter, and acted like an asshole and a child. That matters. That's part of the conversation around the game, like it or not. This whole "let's keep politics out of games" rhetoric is just "both sides" version 2.0. Everything is inherently political. That's just how it is. If you can ignore that and still just enjoy the game on its merits, that's fine, you do you. Some people can't, and their opinions are just as valid. But "Let's just enjoy games" and "Just talk about how fun it looks" is some stupid, childish bullshit.

What a disappointment. I was super interested in the game, but there's no way I'm going to buy anything from someone who supported GG. I hope they make a statement to address it. Thanks to the poster(s) who called this out.
Yes, be happy about the fact that a completely irrelevant topic was brought in to have that talk again. Please google about the history of that co-owner, and realize that there are more people working at The Astronauts, people who might not even agree with his stance. But to those people, Astronauts is their bread and butter and they cant just be like ''screw you guys im going home''. Those people are also part of the Astronauts and it is a shame that they are getting the general same flak because of the co-owner.

They also make this game to what it is, so please, lets not undermine that.

Guess I'll just stick to Reddit for actually discussing video games themselves. Sheesh.
For what it is worth, im actually sorry that this thread proved unsatisfactory for you. Needless to say i did play a part in the argument but i really was (and still am) pining down for a talk about the game itself.

Was it known or announced who will publish this game, or are they going to publish it themselves?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Skimmed through it, though I don't know what he himself claims would be good evidence to begin with given how many GGers try to claim they're not at first. It features lots of whining about journalists and progressives, some victim blaming towards people who supposedly took GG's "bait", and nothing about how he harassed journalists through tweets that GG ate up and spread. I was there on Twitter for that, watching that happen. I will not forget that.

But fine, whatever. I agree that there are people at his studio that shouldn't be punished for his views (and might not even know about them despite the several years since he did this), but that doesn't mean I can feel ok with supporting him monetarily.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the trailer. My god! It looks insanely good.

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao that horrid blog post cemented my decision to never support him financially again. Why did you even post that?

Yes, be happy about the fact that a completely irrelevant topic was brought in to have that talk again. Please google about the history of that co-owner, and realize that there are more people working at The Astronauts, people who might not even agree with his stance. But to those people, Astronauts is their bread and butter and they cant just be like ''screw you guys im going home''. Those people are also part of the Astronauts and it is a shame that they are getting the general same flak because of the co-owner.

They also make this game to what it is, so please, lets not undermine that.

Why do you keep saying this like we're not aware? Of course there are other people working on this game. What's your point? They decided to work for him and none of them have called for his resignation at any point. At best they are too scared to speak up and at worst they actually agree with his views and don't see any point in protesting.

You also keep saying that his affiliation with GG is irrelevant yet over and over again you see people in this thread stating that to them, its not irrelevant at all. Why exactly are you so adamant about this being some kind of "derail" when its obviously important in many posters' decisions about whether to financially support this developer or not?

Why do you keep saying this like we're not aware? Of course there are other people working on this game. What's your point?
Because quite obviously, most people aren't aware and seem bent on the idea that just because this guy works on the game, the game itself is not worth debating about.
Which i find a profoundly silly incentive to be in this thread then.

They decided to work for him and none of them have called for his resignation at any point.
Seems legit when he is the co-owner, you know. If you have families to feed, you would think twice about calling out your own boss on these matters. I feel a lot of users who are against this title because the co-owner works on it, seem to ignore these details.

At best they are too scared to speak up and at worst they actually agree with his views and don't see any point in protesting.
But that is a point of assumption and one that we cannot know for sure. So that is quite pointless to argue on.

You also keep saying that his affiliation with GG is irrelevant yet over and over again you see people in this thread stating that to them, its not irrelevant at all. Why exactly are you so adamant about this being some kind of "derail" when its obviously important in many posters' decisions about whether to financially support this developer or not?
Because its not about the game, like i have stated plenty of times. Make a thread on how despicable it is that this guy works on a game and the rest of his studio members seem to say nothing about it, but afaik, this is a thread about a game announcement. Nibel's warning is clear enough. That's the last bit i am going to say on this matter, and for the rest i will enjoy the thread, where-ever it will lead to.

Schmuck

Oct 30, 2017
Let's not derail this thread too much with Adrian Chmielarz talk (you can research both him and GG yourself)

There are other people involved in this game that do not deserve their work being seen through a certain lens just because Adrian made some highly questionable statements in the past. If you choose to not support this game because of them, that's absolutely fine, but also respect that there are people who are interested in this game

Back to topic

Just going to quote the Mod so those still arguing about GG related topics can be reminded that this thread should get back to topic.

I loved Painkiller so much, and when I first saw the opening scene of this game I interestingly enough got Lichdom: Battlemage vibes from the tone. I also noticed that, during the action sequence, the player was using some sort of blink mechanic that really reminded me of blinking around in Lichdom. I wonder if they got any inspiration from that game, which I played and loved too.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Thank you for letting us know. Over and over and over.

It's a valid point to bring up, can't hurt repeating it a few times either. Consumer awareness and all that.

From what I recall gamergaters are basically divided into two camps - misogynistic nut jobs and people who don't like to be dictated what they can create and how they can create. Adrian falls firmly into the second camp, so I have no problem with it. Now if he started to post some fascist regalia on his twitter that would be the first case.

Trying to frame Gamer Gate as a movement that's upholding some sort of integrity in 2017. Laughing my fucking as off.

I'm not very well versed in all political bullshit gaming has got into.

You got that right.

Not like he was the only crappy person there. The guy that won Trending Gamer vehemently defended Pewdiepie after he said the n word.

That deserves criticism as well, but that doesn't invalidate his point.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only one thinking this:

78_17886_0_Darkwatch.jpg

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
To reiterate Nibel's post from before: you can voice your disinterest in the game or your discomfort with Adrian Chmielarz, but don't try to actively shut down discussion on the game, as many other professionals are pouring their souls into it, and people are free to make their own decisions regarding their game purchases.

On the other hand, stop reporting and antagonizing people who simply want to voice those concerns: its creator's political views are intrinsically part of the project, and we will not silence people who have issues with those views. If you want to talk about the game itself and not about Adrian Chmielarz, simply stop quoting the people talking about it.

If anyone tries to shut down discussion from this post onwards, short bans will start being handed out.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Very happy with this announcement, they have the pedigree and the technical know how, this goes into my wishlist.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lmao that horrid blog post cemented my decision to never support him financially again. Why did you even post that?

Why do you keep saying this like we're not aware? Of course there are other people working on this game. What's your point? They decided to work for him and none of them have called for his resignation at any point. At best they are too scared to speak up and at worst they actually agree with his views and don't see any point in protesting.

I don't know how much you should hold the workers responsible. They may not be able to find another job, and if it's putting food on their table I'm not sure how comfortable I am blaming them. That said, I'm probably not buying the game due to the dude.
Also agreeing that the previously posted blog did nothing to defend the guy.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much you should hold the workers responsible. They may not be able to find another job, and if it's putting food on their table I'm not sure how comfortable I am blaming them. That said, I'm probably not buying the game due to the dude.
Also agreeing that the previously posted blog did nothing to defend the guy.
There may be more complicated cases, but after the amount of publicity Chmielarz got and the amount of years that have passed since then (also, Ethan Carter will have boosted your resume significantly), I don't think it's unreasonable to hold them, as a studio, responsible for the public persona of their representative.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I think long term, its useful for the maturity of video games as a medium that people unwilling to support certain developers due to ideology, don't buy their games, and vice-versa, others accept that this is a valid way of engaging in games. Just as a I am not going to buy books from authors with highly questionable views, except if I specifically wanted to understand their mindset, full well knowing that it will be unpleasant.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was a great trailer. And definitely interested in the game.

Oh, another walking simulator, cool...snaged a drink from the fridge, came back, and they are using shotguns to blow away whatever it was...I cracked up.

Oct 27, 2017

Man, after reading that article I have a lower opinion of the guy than I did coming in. :p After all the research he claimed to do, he still didn't see that the movement was poisoned from the start? All he said was "GG is being misrepresented by the media, anti-GG is full of hypocrites, I stand for ethics in gaming journalism and true diversity. "True diversity" my ass, they're just pissed off at perceived change, and his remarks on cultural takeover shows he lacks the introspection to see it in himself. If I cared about "ethics in gaming journalism" I'd stay the hell away from GG!

All that being said, I'm not gonna change his mind, and he's not harassing anyone himself, and the game looks rad as hell.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, I may have to buy Witchfire used, but I'll have to see. Whether he's "Gamergate OFFICIAL" or not going to war with Anita Sarkeesian on things that are overwhelming factual and doing it living in a country where the country he lives in is 99.9% ethnically and culturally homogeneous is ridiculous. It's like saying BOTW is horrible and you never played it at all or played it for all of ten minutes.

Nov 13, 2017
and nothing about how he harassed journalists through tweets that GG ate up and spread.
He personally harassed journalists? What did he say? I'm still trying to dig up anything he did that was actually damaging. And so far all I can find are "I don't think GG is 100% made up of terrible people." Which seems to be the case for a few other people in the gaming industry that thought gamergate was about something else at first and thought the harassment stuff was only the result of a few dissenters. But if he was personally ACTIVE in the movement, then that's shameful. Still trying to find evidence of that, though.

After all the research he claimed to do, he still didn't see that the movement was poisoned from the start?
This is what confuses me about anything that didn't outright condemn it. But I guess some people think they are above making assumptions and have to spend months doing their own research in order to form their own independent opinion. Which is fine if he never actually got personally involved.

I'm not a huge fan of his gaming hottakes. He love Destiny and thrashes so many other great games so it's hard to take him seriously.

All that being said, I'm not gonna change his mind, and he's not harassing anyone himself, and the game looks rad as hell.
Yeah, this is my stance at the time being. The game looks great. They have a proven track record of making great games. I want to play great games.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
So finally we get some fun game with over the top physics, not some boring static shit without impact like in games like Serious Sam. So boring I am longing for new Painkiller so long, even now, it's absolutely unmatched, with it's over the top gameplay. I needed this like yesterday.