• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 5, 2018
So Sega is working on hardware again but its only for a plug and play system called the Genesis Mini. Its a miniature Sega Genesis/Mega Drive that has 40 games pre-loaded in it. When it was first announced people wondered if Sega would treat the game roster right like how Nintendo has with the NES and SNES Classics or half-heartedly make a list like Sony did for the PS Classic. Turns out, Sega is really giving it their all for this machine when it comes to the games. There's of course obvious games that are on here such as Sonic 1 and 2, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, ToeJam and Earl, Shining Force (though 2 seems to be the preferred entry) and Streets of Rage 2. But Sega has managed to work with Disney of all companies to get both Castle and World of Illusion onto the Genesis Mini. While those games were published and developed by Sega, they are still games that star Disney characters like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and nobody thought Sega would actually work with Disney to allow these games to be in the library. Sega even got some third party deep cuts onto the machine such as Contra Hard Corps and Mega Man: The Wily Wars, which the latter is more significant for the NA audience because NA Genesis owners could only play Wily Wars through the Sega Channel Online Service and it never got a physical release in that region, unlike Japan and Europe.

I could list off the rest of the games, but I think its better to leave this link here to for the full list of Genesis Mini games for now rather than eat space in the OP.

So now to get into the question in the thread title. What are the 10 final games you wish to be announced for this upcoming plug and play console? It can be any game you'd like honestly ranging from games to reasonably expect on the final list to games that honestly don't have a great chance making it in. I mean, anything is possible though if the Disney Illusion games and Wily Wars are on this machine so who knows? Here's my picks and how likely I think they'll get announced:
  • Outrun: Sure this is more well known as an arcade racer than a console racer. But c'mon, its Outrun. It was one of Sega's premiere racing franchises and this machine has yet to have a racing game announced in the NA/EU region.
    • How Likely? Should be a shoe-in. Sega owns the franchise and gives the machine a racing game to scratch off the genre list.
  • Any of the Columns games: Originally Sega's answer to Tetris and for its time, it was considered a fun Match 3 puzzle game for its time. Long before Bejeweled and Candy Crush dominated the phone gaming scene with their Match 3 gameplay.
    • How Likely? Another likely candidate. We already have Mean Bean Machine which is really Puyo Puyo and that has risen to become Sega's major puzzle franchise now (even though Compile created the series and made Puyo Puyo games on non-Sega systems before they went Bankrupt and Sega took the series) but Columns was first for Sega's puzzle franchises and was a prominent series for the Genesis. Columns 1 and 3 also have emulated versions on Sega's mega Drive steam collection, so emulation should be easy.
  • Dynamite Headdy: Another Treasure developed platformer that at first glance might just look like another platformer mascot from the 90's. However I saw Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann play this on a stream one time and its looks insanely fun for a 2D platformer. THERE"S A BOSS WHERE YOU FIGHT IN FRONT OF AN ORCHESTRA AND THEY'RE PLAYING NUTCRACKER MUSIC! It looks awesome! TARGET TARGET TARGET!
    • How Likely? Certainly Possible. Its again on the Steam Mega Drive collection and emulation shouldn't be a problem. It adds more Treasure games too which is nice. Thing is would Sega rather include Ristar instead since that has more of a cult fan following than Dynamite Headdy does if they add another non-Sonic platformer? We'll see.
  • MUSHA: I had to look up this game here as I noticed some people seems bummed Japan was getting this game, but its not listed as a Japanese exclusive for Japan's Genesis mini. Its a Shmup where you can transform between a spaceship and a mech and its known for being incredibly rare to find now. According to this page finding a copy of M.U.S.H.A. ranged from 70-200 American dollars. It would be cool to have this on the NA/EU lineup just for it being so rare.
    • How Likely? Not feeling as good about this as I do Outrun or Columns, but I think its possible we can still get it.
  • Herzog Zwei: This is honestly the Genesis game I want most now because this little known game is actually credited for creating the RTS genre. This is a game where developers of famous RTS games such as Warcraft, StarCraft, Command and Conquer and Dune II have cited HZ as the inspiration for those said titles. It even predates MOBA Battle Arenas as its multiplayer mode having you control a single unit fighting on one or two different sides.
    • How Likely? It might be plausible to see HZ here. Sega did re-release HZ on the Switch through their Sega Ages program so maybe they will re-release again here!
  • Mutant League Football: The Genesis was a powerhouse for Sports titles, problem is many of those Sports game were licensed and problem have no chance to be on the Genesis Mini. Mutant League Football could work since that's an original IP and has you playing as teams of Monsters and Mutants rather than actual pro athletes.
    • How Likely? More likely than my games (Madden), but still not sure since I don't know if Sega wants to work with EA. This machine needs a sports game though.
  • Rocket Knight Adventures: Many people cite Rocket Knight Adventures as some of the best action-platformer games on the system. One of my favorite indie games is Freedom Planet and one of the characters (Lilac) has a super move where she can dash diagonally into the air and Rocket Knight does that too. That sold me there.
    • How Likely? It wasn't a great commercial success so maybe Sega worked with Konami to just get Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps. But Rocket Knight would be a nice surprise.
  • Shining Force 2: Yes we already have Shining Force 1, but it seems like II is universally considered to be the best Genesis Shining Force (SF) game and it would be strange if Sega omitted II on the list.
    • How Likely? Should have a good chance since its Sega owned. However Sega may only include 1 as the de facto SF game while II might not be on there.
  • Mortal Kombat 2: Mortal Kombat was a series that was preferred on the Genesis rather than the SNES. Why? Because Sega did what Nintendon't and allowed blood in the original MK much like its arcade counterpart. 2 would make more sense since it is one of the few Genesis games to sell over a million copies and adds another fighting game to the 40-game lineup.
    • How Likely?
    • No way the Genesis mini has both family-friendly Disney games and an ultra violent, Warner Bros. owned fighting game in the roster.
  • Aladdin: Hey they already got some Disney games, perhaps they're saving something like Aladdin for the final wave since its considered by some to be the superior version of Aladdin. Heck I remember playing this game at my Orthodontist where they had Sega Genesis cabinets lineups and Aladdin was always one of my most played games. Aladdin was also a pretty big Genesis game for its time too so surely it'll make the...
    • Yeah no way its happening. Its already an achievement by Sega to get the Illusion games on here. But Aladdin has to be even more expensive to license due to the movie coming out this week and Disney would want more cash to have Aladdin on the Genesis Mini on what would be free advertising for the Aladdin Movie by the time it gets a DVD release around the same time the Mini releases in Fall. Though maybe there's no worries about Virgin Games (Aladdin dev) since Disney managed to release Genesis Aladdin on GOG.com. So licensing may not be as dire?
  • Bonus: Madden '94: C'mon Sega! Put my game in instead of MLF. Just pay me a Turducken, don't include the names of both teams' mascots and the players at the time but keep me in the game for people to witness the greatest Madden animation in a game EVER!

madden-94.gif

NO? Fine...

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So Sega is working on hardware again but its only for a plug and play system called the Genesis Mini. Its a miniature Sega Genesis/Mega Drive that has 40 games pre-loaded in it. When it was first announced people wondered if Sega would treat the game roster right like how Nintendo has with the NES and SNES Classics or half-heartedly make a list like Sony did for the PS Classic. Turns out, Sega is really giving it their all for this machine when it comes to the games. There's of course obvious games that are on here such as Sonic 1 and 2, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, ToeJam and Earl, Shining Force (though 2 seems to be the preferred entry) and Streets of Rage 2. But Sega has managed to work with Disney of all companies to get both Castle and World of Illusion onto the Genesis Mini. While those games were published and developed by Sega, they are still games that star Disney characters like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and nobody thought Sega would actually work with Disney to allow these games to be in the library. Sega even got some third party deep cuts onto the machine such as Contra Hard Corps and Mega Man: The Wily Wars, which the latter is more significant for the NA audience because NA Genesis owners could only play Wily Wars through the Sega Channel Online Service and it never got a physical release in that region, unlike Japan and Europe.

I could list off the rest of the games, but I think its better to leave this link here to for the full list of Genesis Mini games for now rather than eat space in the OP.

So now to get into the question in the thread title. What are the 10 final games you wish to be announced for this upcoming plug and play console? It can be any game you'd like honestly ranging from games to reasonably expect on the final list to games that honestly don't have a great chance making it in. I mean, anything is possible though if the Disney Illusion games and Wily Wars are on this machine so who knows? Here's my picks and how likely I think they'll get announced:
  • Outrun: Sure this is more well known as an arcade racer than a console racer. But c'mon, its Outrun. It was one of Sega's premiere racing franchises and this machine has yet to have a racing game announced in the NA/EU region.
    • How Likely? Should be a shoe-in. Sega owns the franchise and gives the machine a racing game to scratch off the genre list.
  • Any of the Columns games: Originally Sega's answer to Tetris and for its time, it was considered a fun Match 3 puzzle game for its time. Long before Bejeweled and Candy Crush dominated the phone gaming scene with their Match 3 gameplay.
    • How Likely? Another likely candidate. We already have Mean Bean Machine which is really Puyo Puyo and that has risen to become Sega's major puzzle franchise now (even though Compile created the series and made Puyo Puyo games on non-Sega systems before they went Bankrupt and Sega took the series) but Columns was first for Sega's puzzle franchises and was a prominent series for the Genesis. Columns 1 and 3 also have emulated versions on Sega's mega Drive steam collection, so emulation should be easy.
  • Dynamite Headdy: Another Treasure developed platformer that at first glance might just look like another platformer mascot from the 90's. However I saw Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann play this on a stream one time and its looks insanely fun for a 2D platformer. THERE"S A BOSS WHERE YOU FIGHT IN FRONT OF AN ORCHESTRA AND THEY'RE PLAYING NUTCRACKER MUSIC! It looks awesome! TARGET TARGET TARGET!
    • How Likely? Certainly Possible. Its again on the Steam Mega Drive collection and emulation shouldn't be a problem. It adds more Treasure games too which is nice. Thing is would Sega rather include Ristar instead since that has more of a cult fan following than Dynamite Headdy does if they add another non-Sonic platformer? We'll see.
  • MUSHA: I had to look up this game here as I noticed some people seems bummed Japan was getting this game, but its not listed as a Japanese exclusive for Japan's Genesis mini. Its a Shmup where you can transform between a spaceship and a mech and its known for being incredibly rare to find now. According to this page finding a copy of M.U.S.H.A. ranged from 70-200 American dollars. It would be cool to have this on the NA/EU lineup just for it being so rare.
    • How Likely? Not feeling as good about this as I do Outrun or Columns, but I think its possible we can still get it.
  • Herzog Zwei: This is honestly the Genesis game I want most now because this little known game is actually credited for creating the RTS genre. This is a game where developers of famous RTS games such as Warcraft, StarCraft, Command and Conquer and Dune II have cited HZ as the inspiration for those said titles. It even predates MOBA Battle Arenas as its multiplayer mode having you control a single unit fighting on one or two different sides.
    • How Likely? It might be plausible to see HZ here. Sega did re-release HZ on the Switch through their Sega Ages program so maybe they will re-release again here!
  • Mutant League Football: The Genesis was a powerhouse for Sports titles, problem is many of those Sports game were licensed and problem have no chance to be on the Genesis Mini. Mutant League Football could work since that's an original IP and has you playing as teams of Monsters and Mutants rather than actual pro athletes.
    • How Likely? More likely than my games (Madden), but still not sure since I don't know if Sega wants to work with EA. This machine needs a sports game though.
  • Rocket Knight Adventures: Many people cite Rocket Knight Adventures as some of the best action-platformer games on the system. One of my favorite indie games is Freedom Planet and one of the characters (Lilac) has a super move where she can dash diagonally into the air and Rocket Knight does that too. That sold me there.
    • How Likely? It wasn't a great commercial success so maybe Sega worked with Konami to just get Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps. But Rocket Knight would be a nice surprise.
  • Shining Force 2: Yes we already have Shining Force 1, but it seems like II is universally considered to be the best Genesis Shining Force (SF) game and it would be strange if Sega omitted II on the list.
    • How Likely? Should have a good chance since its Sega owned. However Sega may only include 1 as the de facto SF game while II might not be on there.
  • Mortal Kombat 2: Mortal Kombat was a series that was preferred on the Genesis rather than the SNES. Why? Because Sega did what Nintendon't and allowed blood in the original MK much like its arcade counterpart. 2 would make more sense since it is one of the few Genesis games to sell over a million copies and adds another fighting game to the 40-game lineup.
    • How Likely?
    • No way the Genesis mini has both family-friendly Disney games and an ultra violent, Warner Bros. owned fighting game in the roster.
  • Aladdin: Hey they already got some Disney games, perhaps they're saving something like Aladdin for the final wave since its considered by some to be the superior version of Aladdin. Heck I remember playing this game at my Orthodontist where they had Sega Genesis cabinets lineups and Aladdin was always one of my most played games. Aladdin was also a pretty big Genesis game for its time too so surely it'll make the...
    • Yeah no way its happening. Its already an achievement by Sega to get the Illusion games on here. But Aladdin has to be even more expensive to license due to the movie coming out this week and Disney would want more cash to have Aladdin on the Genesis Mini on what would be free advertising for the Aladdin Movie by the time it gets a DVD release around the same time the Mini releases in Fall. Though maybe there's no worries about Virgin Games (Aladdin dev) since Disney managed to release Genesis Aladdin on GOG.com. So licensing may not be as dire?
  • Bonus: Madden '94: C'mon Sega! Put my game in instead of MLF. Just pay me a Turducken, don't include the names of both teams' mascots and the players at the time but keep me in the game for people to witness the greatest Madden animation in a game EVER!

madden-94.gif

NO? Fine...

Sonic 3 and Knuckles HAS to be on this it can replace Mortal Kombat 2 because that game was horrible on genesis

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Pulseman
Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle 3
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (make whatever changes to the OST you gotta, dammit)
Alien Soldier
Light Crusader

Those are pretty much the five I'm most looking for.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I am almost completely happy with the lineup as is, if they just announced Road Rash II it would be a day one buy for me. But for some reason I feel like it won't happen because it's EA, but I don't know how all that works

Edit: actually put The Lion King in there too. Edit Edit: Ok throw NBA Jam in there too and then we're finally good.

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
1.) Rocket Knight Adventures.
2.) Shining Force II (that one should be a no-brainer, as that's one of the most biggest gems that Sega has, besides others like Phantasy Star IV & Streets of Rage 2/Bare Knuckle 2).
3.) Sonic 3 & Knuckles (same thing).
4.) MUSHA (if the Japanese & Asian versions of the Mini have gotten this, then why not the U.S./European version as well)?
5.) Dynamite Headdy.
6.) Road Rash 1 or 2 or Outrun (It's time for a racing game to appear).
7.) Columns III (obviously, we need a puzzle game).
8.) Pulseman.
9.) Eternal Champions or Crusader of Centy.
10.) Alien Soldier or Light Crusader.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Quackshot mainly.

Soleil / Crusader of Centy and Shining in the Darkness (unless that's on there and I missed itj.

Ghostbusters and Super Real Basketball would tickle the nostalgia bone.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
These are the ones I'm desperate for...

Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Dynamite Headdy
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Quackshot

Anything else would be a bonus I suppose, unless I'm forgetting something else from my childhood that I played substantially. I know the first one is already on there, but having Earthworm Jim 2 included as well would be really nice.

Edit - Ah yes, one of the Bomberman games would be great! Although if memory serves, I only played that franchise on my SNES, so I don't know what the situation is with that IP on the Mega Drive exactly and how good the games were. But Bomberman is always appreciated.

Last edited:

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Ranked:

1. Rocket Knight Adventures
2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
3. Dynamite Headdy
4. MUSHA
5. Alien Soldier
6. Aladdin
7. Monster World IV
8. Streets of Rage
9. Ristar
10. Revenge of Shinobi

I'm tempted to replace Aladdin with Mega Bomberman just for variety's sake.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pulseman is definitely my most wanted. Before Wily Wars being announced I didn't think there was much of a chance, but I'm really hopeful for it now.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Ristar, and Rocket Knight.

I'll put Monster World IV in there just because I never got to that game.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I want a real curveball. Something "Starfox 2" level like the SNES Classic got. Like brand new translations for previously un-localized games (like the Monster World IV release from the last console generation).

Otherwise, as solid as the line-up is, I don't have much incentive to buy it.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to see Alien Soldier and Dynamite Headdy on there because Treasure x Genesis is too special of a pairing to just have Gunstar Heroes.

I'd also like to see Rocket Knight Adventures because Konami too made good stuff on there and it would round out the inclusion of Hard Corps and Bloodlines.

And they should really complete the Sonic collection. Get Sonic 3 and Knuckles on there. Make them optionally lock-on. M2 can do this.

Then there are some random things like Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star II and Streets of Rage 1 and 3 that they should just put in there.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Outrunners - there's been enough opportunities to play the original, but not this one.
MUSHA.
Aladdin.
Rocket Knight.

Robsolete

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, Crusader of Centy for sure. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is just essential. Dynamite Headdy really should be on there as should Rocket Knight Adventures but that's a Konami property so who knows what the status of that might be. The Adventures of Batman and Robin would be a surprising but outstanding addition, a real overlooked gem from late in the Genesis lifetime. And for sentimentality I'd say the very first EA Hockey game and one of the James Pond games, either 2 or 3.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
One thing's for sure, Sega is revealing these things 10 at a time for a reason. They dropped a bomb with the second wave by announcing that they plan to include Disney titles and the third wave was a massive get with Mega Man. No doubt they have something major planned with their final 10 announcements. There's gonna be some real surprises, I think.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thunder Force IV
Monster World IV
Valis III
Battle Mania
Battle Mania 2
Eliminate Down
El Viento
Alisia Dragoon
Panorama Cotton
Zero Wing

I would have put The Revenge of Shinobi on there but it seems like the poor game always gets a new revision for the worse every time it's re-released. COPYRIGHTS BE DAMNED. You can take my cartridge with Batman, Spider-Man, Rambo, Godzilla and the rest of the Bootleg Squad from my cold dead hands Sega.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of incredible how loosely they played around with the original release, whether they had licenses for the 3rd party cameos or not.
It was the Wild West back then, especially in Japan. Everyone was having a great time ripping shit off from all over the place all willy-nilly until the Fun Police arrived and now everything has to go through boring smelly lawyers.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
The Immortal
Haunting: Featuring Polterguy
Mutant League Football
Mutant League Hockey
Road Rash II
Robocop Vs Terminator
Technocop
Herzog Zwei
Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside (I know this is Sega CD, but this is my fantasy)
Master of Monsters

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Personal wish list, feasibility be damned:

Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Battle Mania II (translated)
Bonanza Bros
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Pirates! Gold
Tiny Toon Adventures ACME All-Stars
Yu Yu Hakusho

ACME All-Stars is better than your favorite sports game, btw.

And I'll cross-post my list of what I expect to see filling out the ranks. I'd wager that most would be drawn from the following list of 20 games, with the most likely picks at the top:

Ristar
Sword of Vermilion
OutRun 2019
Alien Soldier
Sonic 3D Blast
Rocket Knight Adventures
Strider
Mega Bomberman
Dynamite Headdy
Pulseman
Monster World IV
Shining Force II
The Revenge of Shinobi
Bonanza Bros
Quackshot starring Donald Duck
MUSHA
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
ESWAT
After Burner

Ristar is a fairly popular, well-regarded game and tends to be a staple on Genesis collections. It's also a rare and expensive late release for Japan. I basically think it's a lock for all regions.

I believe Vermilion, Alien Soldier, and OutRun 2019 are likely picks mostly because of their presence on the Asian line-up, and the Asian line-up has so far tended to be a mix of the JP and US line-ups, with US games taking the place of what would have been text-heavy JP games. Therefore, I'm wagering that at least some of these so-far-exclusive-to-Asia games will show up on the US roster as well.

I would have put Alien Soldier one spot below Dynamite Headdy otherwise; it's a cult favorite but not a strong casual draw due to Sega Channel exclusivity in the States. On the other hand, I believe (and hope) that the project managers on this are leaning toward deep cuts, and they've already dipped into the Sega Channel well a couple of times.

I think OutRun 2019 is likely for a few reasons in addition to its presence on the Asia list. One, the current line-up lacks a racing game. Two, because of Sega's split effort between the Genesis Mini and digital output on current gen consoles, I think they'll shy away from adding more mainstream entries from the OutRun or Hang-On franchises here due to their likelihood of showing up on something like Sega Ages Switch instead.

Every reveal gets a Sonic game, and Sonic 3D Blast is "the path of least resistance" for Sega here.

Each of the previous 3 reveals have focused on one third party: Konami, Disney, and Capcom. I think each of them are holding back at least one more game for the final reveal. For Konami, Rocket Knight Adventures is the strongest and most obvious pick, and because they now own Hudson's catalog, Mega Bomberman would be a smart choice for multi-tap play. Quackshot is a respected game and would pair well with Castle & World of Illusion. Strider is the one Capcom game left that I think is likely.

Dynamite Headdy is one of those borderline games. It's well respected and popular among system enthusiasts, but not especially known on a casual level and is now competing hard for mindshare with so many other platformers.

Ditto for Pulseman. Not especially known outside the hardcore, but again, this one has the "Sega Channel US exclusive" and "rare/expensive Japanese release" dark horse factors going for it. M2 and Sega also got Ken Sugimori to do cover art for their 3D Classics line-up; I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he might have lobbied for this game to be rereleased since then. :)

Monster World IV would be much higher on my list if not for the presence of Wonder Boy in Monster World. I would have considered this to be a lock otherwise, as the relatively recent official English translation is something that I think they'd want to draw more attention to.

Shining Force II, AFAIK, is better regarded than its predecessor, so I think it's possible that it could show up. The presence of the original game on the line-up makes it slightly unlikely though.

Revenge of Shinobi and MUSHA still have a chance IMO due to their presence in other regions, but I believe these are less likely.

Bonanza Bros isn't an especially popular or essential game, but it's a fun game that tends to show up as another staple on modern Genesis collections and even things like All-Star Racing. It also has to have crossed their minds already since Tant-R has shown up.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is entirely dependent on rumors related to its legality. There's still a chance; M2 is the sort of group that goes above and beyond, and they have contracted Yuzo Koshiro to compose music for this system, so if the music really is a problem, it's not out of the realm of possibility for these to show up in an altered form. If they're in, 3D Blast is out.

ESWAT is just a dark horse pick. Another not especially popular game, but it has showed up in previous compilations.

I'm giving After Burner low odds for the same reason as some other games I've mentioned in passing; I think the arcade counterpart is a decent candidate for Sega Ages instead. Same reason why I'm not putting Gain Ground or Puyo Puyo 2 here. G-LOC has already been announced for Sega Ages Switch though, so maybe After Burner will show up on the Genesis Mini instead.

A few things that didn't make the cut on my list but I briefly considered:

Lack of Western 3rd party games in general. From a historical perspective, this omission is a bit weird, as the Genesis was way more popular in America than its home country, and a good chunk of that success was due to an actually decent amount of Western 3rd party support from the likes of Electronic Arts and others. I just don't think it's a priority for this product because I expect that Japan is calling the shots and that Sega doesn't want to split the proceeds with even more 3rd parties at this point. But who knows; maybe you'll see a Road Rash, Mutant League Football, General Chaos, Mortal Kombat, or NBA Jam crop up.

Herzog Zwei was another game that I cut off from my list due to Sega Ages. Same with Thunder Force IV.

I'm giving Eternal Champions low odds because of the 3-button pad, modern-day obscurity, being overshadowed by SF2 (and Yu Yu), and that it's not a particularly good game. Other people keep saying that it's "too violent" for this system, but I don't think that's the case. I think the lot of you are getting it confused with the Sega CD sequel for some reason.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
1. Rocket Knight Adventures
2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
3. Dynamite Headdy
4. MUSHA
5. Alien Soldier
6. Lightning Force IV
7. Monster World IV
8. Soleil / Crusader of Centy
9. Ristar
10. Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2

Non-ranked, these would be my perfect 10 final games (that would get me to buy the console just for the bolded 5).

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the current list till today is magnificent. So any of the following titles would make this console EPIC

Alien Soldier
Aladdin
Crusader of Centy
Monster World IV
Pulseman
Rocket Knight Adventures
Ranger X
Street of Rage 3
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Quackshot

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Unless Konami give us some kind of Rocket Knight Collection later, I'd like to see Sparkster on the mini. I love it way more than RKA. I tried to see why people prefer that one, but I failed. While not a bad game by any means, I like the sequel and even the SNES version more.

Getting Shining Force II would be great, but not getting my hopes up.

Other than that, maybe :
- Soleil
- Quackshot

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
It's so hard to choose only ten games, but here's what I could come up with:

Alien Soldier
Atomic Runner
Dynamite Headdy
Mazin Wars
Monster World IV
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Streets of Rage 3
Thunder Force IV

Not getting my hopes up for Mazin Wars and the Splatterhouse games, but the other ones still have a chance of happening.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The Short List

Strider
Monster World IV
Road Rash II
Aladdin
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Crusader of Centy
Gaires
Flashback
Shining Force 2

The Less Likely List

Rocket Knight Adventure
Streets of Rage 3
NHL '94
Toki
Robocop vs Terminator
Shadowrun
Revenge of Shinobi
Ristar
Mortal Kombat II
Alien Soldier
Dynamite Heady
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Thunder Force 4
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Whatever rights issues there are with this game need to be cleared up, it's bullshit this game keeps getting left out of modern re-releases. I'm even okay with them replacing the music if they need to. Sega's included one Sonic game in each wave, so while the hopeless optimist in me is keeping his fingers crossed for S3&K, the cautious optimist would be happy with just S&K standalone. The realist is expecting Sonic 3D Blast.

Disney's Aladdin - Another big game that has big royalties issues to go with it. When they first announced this, I considered this a bit of a pipe dream, but since they included the Illusion games, who knows? Like mentioned, GOG was able to release the DOS version of this. This was actually the best-selling Genesis game worldwide behind Sonic 1 and 2, so I feel like it not being here would be a missed (if understandable) opportunity.

NBA Jam - The last of my "fuck the legality" choices here. I'm honestly not a huge fan of sports games, but I'll make an exception for this one. Just let me dunk as Clinton!

Ristar - Great platformer from Sonic Team, and Sega owns it. Should be a shoe-in. I'll be very surprised if it's not included.

Crusader of Centy - A deep cut from Sega, and it's never been re-released as far as I'm aware. However, Mama Robotnik's recent thread on it got me curious and itching to play it.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Another third-party gem from Konami, and Hyperstone Heist would probably be too much to ask for.

MUSHA - Already announced for Japan, seems like it'd be an odd exclusion.

Dynamite Headdy - Treasure trilogy part 2.

Alien Soldier - Treasure trilogy part 3.

Not Columns - Fuck Columns.

Pulseman - Always been curious about this one, being from Game Freak.

OP
OP
ScreamingMadden
May 5, 2018
Personal wish list, feasibility be damned:

Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Battle Mania II (translated)
Bonanza Bros
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Pirates! Gold
Tiny Toon Adventures ACME All-Stars
Yu Yu Hakusho.
Aw dang! How could I forget Pirates Gold!? I never played that version of Pirates, but loved the 2004 Sid Meier's Pirates game! I'd like to play Gold to see the similarities and differences! I would be super down for that to be on the Genesis mini.