• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
If this happened, the backlash would be massive. Especially when this is a non issue on PC. Of course Nintendo already did this in a way with the Wii to Wiiu VC games if I recall

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Why buy when you should get them for free? Look at how a lot of publishers treat remasters on PC (and XBox1 BC), they're free upgrades.

This is how I feel about it. We've already been enjoying better BC titles and we saw with FFXIII how they are willing to replace assets for free. So very much prefer this stays free.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I dunno. Playing updated Xbox backwards compatible games for free...

Makes me feel like a fool for buying Twilight Princess HD.

I don't think I can go back to paying for increased resolution, frame rates and 4K packs.

I'm hoping PS5 has a similar trick to Xbox when playing PS4 games. It's magic what Microsoft have pulled off

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is free. The costs for doing this is coming from somewhere.
You'd have to be a bit slow to think that these engineers are sitting there doing these enhanced patches out of the goodness of their hearts.
Way to be daft.
It's free to us, how they get paid for is another story.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Dont expect existing games to get improvements. Expect games that launch on PS4 after ps5 release to play better on ps5.

Sony or some devs might improve some with a patch but it isn't a deal breaker. I wouldn't pay for patches though.

There's a reason ms did it... because they are behind and haven't exactly been releasing many new first party.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is free. The costs for doing this is coming from somewhere.
You'd have to be a bit slow to think that these engineers are sitting there doing these enhanced patches out of the goodness of their hearts.

This is really disingenuous. Nobody thinks these updates are free to develop. They are free to the consumer and that's what matters.

moerser

Oct 29, 2017
i dont think that bc is crucial for most people outside this forum.
it probably wont even be a thought for most people thinking about buying a new console.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I can totally see it happening. Nice free PS5 update with a sale on the game could result in new pickups of hungry PS5 owners. Especially in the beginning.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I bet we will still get remasters that come with all the dlc and what not. The idea of paid performance patches is one that seems reasonable too. I certainly don't expect anything for free.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I take back the comment about 'being slow'. Not intend to disrespect. Allow me to rephrase. The engineers working on backwards compatibility are recouping the costs to do so from somewhere. Maybe its through MS services but i strongly doubt these guys are working for free to bring enhanced titles to Xbox One X.

It's still free for the consumer, that's the point.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the idea of BC on Xbox requiring a connection to XBL to patch an emulation wrapper to work.
I hope BC on PS5 works like it did on PS2, 3DS or Wii. I'd much rather have close to full compatibility than better looking games hamstrung to a service that wont always be there.

Oct 25, 2017
I bet we will still get remasters that come with all the dlc and what not. The idea of paid performance patches is one that seems reasonable too. I certainly don't expect anything for free.

Depends on the game. I would be pissed if say Gearbox tried to charge money for PS5 improvements to Borderlands 3. If it is a game that is relatively recent and still being actively monetized in other ways I don't expect to pay anything. Although someone made a good point that Fred let upgrades can give a game sales boost too. It happened recently with Borderlands Handsome Collection and BL1 and TPS on PC. Of course console players had to pay for BL1 Remastered though since it wasn't available on current gen.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
This is really disingenuous. Nobody thinks these updates are free to develop. They are free to the consumer and that's what matters.
Perhaps the costs are being recuperate via Xbox live subscriptions and/or other services MS offers for these enhanced titles. This was the aim of my initial post.

It's still free for the consumer, that's the point.
See above post.

Way to be daft.
It's free to us, how they get paid for is another story.
My bru, jy praat hie net n klompie kak

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
If i buy better specs in pc, i can play it with better graphics.
If this is not going to be in consoles too, i will continue buying multiplatforms in steam.