• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Ball Super had a lot of problems. Beyond animation woes, the series was framed as a prequel to the final episode of Z, resulting in what many perceived as a complete lack of tension. Even with it's relative success alongside other Toei properties, the series is going on hiatus after the current arc concludes, leading to a lot of speculation about the future of the Dragon Ball brand.

One of the most evident issues is a byproduct of the franchise's age: The Japanese cast isn't getting any younger, and it's becoming less likely that these characters will get closure with their original voice actors. Masako Nozawa, the voice of Goku and Gohan, is 81. Toshio Furukawa, Piccolo, is 71. Ryō Horikawa, voice of Vegeta, is comparatively young at 60, but when you consider that Hiromi Tsuru (Bulma) was only 57 when she passed away last year, it seems unwise to play chicken with fate for too much longer. Out of respect for the cast and characters, Dragon Ball should get the fitting finale it deserves.

My proposal is obvious: One final arc that serves as a conclusion to the stories of the original Z-fighters.

Something like this: Many years after the end of Z, the almighty villain who defeated Jiren in the past has succeeded in creating his own universe, free from the sovereignty of Zeno, and is planning an invasion. The Pride Troopers and Universe 6's Saiyans have been enlisted to stop him, and they've requested the aid of Universe 7 as well. A 12-person team comprised of Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo, Cale, Caulifla, and Cabba along with Uub (trained by Goku) and Pan (trained by Piccolo) is transported to this mysterious new universe to stop this unprecedented threat. Not everyone will be returning. On Earth, the remaining heroes train with the multiverse's greatest warriors to stop the incoming threat.

Finally, this would be an opportunity to accomplish what Z, GT and Super never could: The building-up and establishment of new heroes that can take the series forward, finally stepping out of Goku's shadow. This is why Uub and Pan must absolutely be a part of this hypothetical final arc, to paint them as the future of Dragon Ball.

What do you think? What are your ideas for how DB should move forward, if at all?

Oct 24, 2017
Go the movie route again. Battle of Gods was great and whatever your problems with Ressurection F, the animation in both was phenomenal.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Allow Goku to ascend into something greater with the mastered UI.

Instead focus on the other Z fighters and U6 people. Vegeta being the new leader.

Kinda like how Blake's 7 replaced Blake with Avon, or Legends of Tomorrow with Rip and Sarah.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
A new series that takes place after the EoZ. Dragonball should never end. Voice actors can always be replaced so it's not the biggest issue. It needs less writers. Too many cooks in he kitchen. Can also use a bit more Toriyama direction as well. If not then they should just make a Dragonball Heroes anime.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd want a show starting Uub and Pan, I'd rather have a show starting Future Trunks. At the very least, just do what Z did and what OG Naruto did with incorporating its extended cast. It's ok to write Goku off for a few episodes.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I want a 100 year time skip. Because fuck it. What is the Earth like without Goku and the rest of the Z-fighters. Some characters like Majin Buu and Beerus w/Whis would still hang around.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think they should just continue with the movie and episode special route that are set after EoZ. Tell one off stories while avoiding long padded out story arcs that Super suffered from.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
They should ignore End of Z (which they kind of have to with the huge power creep that has taken place now) and do something with the other universes. They introduced too many characters and concepts not to return to Universe 6 especially.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If the Ultimate Instinct deux ex machina ass pulls and Jiren with his terrible back story are a sign of things to come, I wish it would just end.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know why so many want a reboot or a "rest" for the series. For me it is fun to watch as always. It was always "stupid", that is what makes it so charming imho. Also Super is way better paced than Z. I will be happy if they just continue like now.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would just do a time skip to post-Z. Goku is busy training Uub, and Vegeta is helping to raise Bulla, so the main characters, in my vision, would be Pan, Goten, and Trunks, with Piccolo as a mentor.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they need to deepower the heroes some in a new series and have them win fights with massive teamwork instead of powerups like the original Vegeta arc.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
They should just go back to the roots: adventure and not world ending threats anymore. It's about the journey and not whether or not your hair change color. Being the strongest doesn't mean your the best you could ever be. They should hire Togashi as a story consultant and go from there. Enough with the power creep!
Disclaimer: I have not seen DBS

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
A villain should show up and wish humans could become as strong as Goku and Vegeta. There. Solved power creep forever. You're welcome.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they'd ever reboot it (does Japan tend to do reboots?) but Super does seem to be at a point where you need to hit a reset button.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Goku should wish for the universe to go back to the way it was, unwittingly resetting everything back to OG Dragonball, except now everyone from DBZ is present as well in child form.

Dragonball Kidz.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Revive EVERYONE, literally EVERYONE, and every hero and villain in the series become buttbuddies against a new group of villains.
When that series ends and they want to do another one, rinse and repeat.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a more adventure focused series, kinda like what GT was promised to be but actually good this time

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The adventures of Frieza as a god, after Jiren and Goku knock each other off and he claims the prize.

lol at the idea of the series ending. Think that'll stop the 10+ dragonball threads we get a week?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'd like to see short stories of certain characters that didn't get enough screen time or enough of their backstory. I'd like to see stories of certain saiyans like Raditz and Nappa before their appearance in the manga. More on Frieza's rise to power and race. What was Dr. Gero doing for like twenty years besides creating androids? What was Namek like to cause Kami/Piccolo to be sent away and arrive on Earth? I would love a series that just tackled these short stories one at a time.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If they do do another show, I hope they focus a lot more on story. While I've really liked Super, it's also really thin on story. It's crazy to me that the first tournament was all because two gods were fighting over Earth's food, that's just really goofy to the point where it's not fun-goofy but lazy goofy.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Of course it should continue just cause some disgruntled fans talking about power levels or why isn't Gohan the main character or screaming because Goku always saves the day.

The franchise is strong and popular as ever.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to continue marketing Goku they should honestly just age up Goten and have him be the main character, since he's basically Kid Goku 2. Goten being around the age Goku was when he fought Piccolo would be awesome. Make it the Goten and Trunks show! Focus on that generation including kid Pan and Bulla being the next mischievous duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.