• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It seems like every single day a new game is being moneyhatted by Epic and so far Valve's only reaction was the "unfair" post about Metro being pulled at the last moment. Now Control and The Outer Worlds are gone too, or at least for one year.

What will Valve do to prevent this from continuing? Will they reduce the 30% cut for everyone and not just for very successful devs/publishers? Would that even help? What kind of incentives would work?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing.
Even if their share was 0%, being paid to release a game is still more money.

Moneyhat too ? Moneyhat games that were already announced for their store ?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
1. Hire a top team to produce a weekly video show highlighting new releases, discounts and updates.
2. Empower curators to do it professionally by offering affiliate commission, a percentage (from Valve's cut) going to people generating sales.
3. Give all publishers/devs a greater portion of the revenue from sales generated outside of steam (ie a widget embedded on their own website).
4. Add Android as a supported platform for the many games that do or could have an Android version, sold through Steam.
5. Set up robust partnerships with localisation agencies to make localising to Chinese, Russian, and other key languages at least revenue neutral for smaller teams that hit a reasonable sales threshold.
6. Games that launch on steam first or concurrently with other platforms get a visibility boost, games that launch first on other platforms by more than a month get buried by algorithms.

Lower their cut to match Epic's making them redundant
Were the cut the reason people were pulling games from Steam, Epic would not need to pay people upfront to remove their games from Steam.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Start actual quality control for starters. I didn't like jimquisition before, but I might start watching more regularly now, because the point Jim Sterling made about one store having Rape Day controversy and another having very frequent exclusivity announcements is huge difference in marketing.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Nothing lmfao

What, you want them to punish developers for selling their products on a competitiors' site? "Prevent it from continuing" lmfaoooooooo so as long as developers like money there isn't a GOD damn thing you can do about it

This fucking site man, lmfao you know what they can do to lessen the amount of people taking Epic checks? Probably invest some time into alleviating the issues independent developers have with the market right now instead of continuing their headass-tier approach they've been pushing since 2016

but you want Valve to stop developers from taking a check I wish they WOULD

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Start actual quality control for starters. I didn't like jimquisition before, but I might start watching more regularly now, because point of one store having Rape Day and another having very frequent exclusivity announcements is huge difference in marketing.

Right. Because curation is the reason games that were planned for Steam are delayed for a year. :""")

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should produce something that shifts momentum and incentivizes people to utilize Steam.

First party Software would do the trick, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Not much hopefully, I'd be really disappointed in Valve if they started pulling the same shit as Epic.

The only thing they really need to do is clamp down on publishers using their platform as free advertising for months before fucking off to the EGS at the last minute.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Probably stipulate that you cant use Steam for marketing/betas only to take a check to not put it on there

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
One thing they absolutely need to do is clamp down on publishers using their platform as free advertising for months before fucking off to the EGS at the last minute.

This is really the only thing I would like Valve to actually work on, because like it or love it it's hella unfair to advertise a game as coming to Steam then DELAYING it a year cause you got moneyhatted

there's a clear difference between what developers like Supergiant are doing with their projects involving Epic and this dumbass shit 2K is doing with Outer Worlds

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, what can they do against Epic throwing around money?

More draconian store rules about same day release as other storefronts if you have a storepage up? Devs won't want to commit to that in the hopes of an Epic deal.

Match revenue share? So far Epic is paying to keep games off Steam and probably won't stop if Valves matches the cut.

Make Half Life 3/Portal 3/Left 4 Dead 3? What is that suppose to accomplish in regards to Epic throwing around checks?

Also use moneyhats? Everybody would say evil monopoly uses its power to squash competion.

They will probably do something but from my limited knowledge it seems like a lose-lose-situation for them.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Continued Trolling In Topic
Right. Because curation is the reason games that were planned for Steam are delayed for a year. :""")
No, they were delayed by a year because there came an alternative to the piece of shit platform. And the only way to attract masses to a new product without spending years (or decades) of development to exceed features, is to spend money. EGS curation is a selling point for me and I will never look at what algorithms or steam curators suggest me (the only one I had looked at was TotalBiscuit).

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
People will say nothing but I don't think they can afford that. If every AAA game skips steam and we are getting there between EGS buyouts and publishers own marketplaces and every high profile indie game also skips steam for better revenue and whatever else Epic offers then they have a very big problem to just do nothing. They can have all the back catalog software and features but if they are not getting hot new releases then that's going to hurt a lot.

Right now the biggest ally of steam are Japanese pubs/devs like Capcom, Namco or Square Enix that don't have their own stores and seemingly are not approached by Epic yet or turned down their offers. Maybe Valve can make sure these companies remain that way at the very least. Considering the fact that a lot of them use Unreal Engine 4, Epic already has some influence over them. They just had KH3 co-director at their UE conference.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They should make it so that if you list your game on Steam, you have to release it on Steam (alongside any other platforms of your choice, of course). It's basically false advertising to list the game on Steam and then make it a temporary exclusive to Epic's shitty failed attempt at an excuse for a barebones store.

They shouldn't buy any exclusives. That's (one of) the anti-consumer bullshit we don't want in the first place. If Valve does it, it's just as wrong as when Epic does it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Let Epic bury themselves, they seem to be doing a good job of it with their data snooping, anti-consumer tactics and moneyhatting.

Their strategy will fail, despite them saying games are selling "2.5x better" which is a PR stunt imo.

Revenue means nothing when Epic is throwing Fortnite money upfront at devs (which they will NEVER, turn down.)

And I can't see Valve doing it because despite their flaws and ignorance in regards to curation, they have always believed in choice for consumers.

And if they do start doing it in response to Epic then I won't be supporting Valve either.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see them get into promoting notable titles more. Go to the PCgaming show, or at least pay to send some devs you're promoting there. Go to TGA with a highlight reel and shadowdrops like Epic did.

Court certain developers for ports more. I imagine they probably don't have the inorads with Sony like Epic does, but figure out a pipeline for Atlus, for some of Square Enix's Japanese stuff, Activision for it's remasters on time, etc. If there's a game that can possibly be coming to PC, figure out a way to get it on the platform and not 6 months to multiple years late.

Just basically engage more with the community, be more than the silent monolith.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
No, they were delayed by a year because there came an alternative to the piece of shit platform. And the only way to attract masses to a new product without spending years (or decades) of development to exceed features, is to spend money. EGS curation is a selling point for me and I will never look at what algorithms or steam curators suggest me (the only one I had looked at was TotalBiscuit).
If Steam were a piece of shit platform, the Steam releases would not be delayed, they would be cancelled.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They need to increase the cut to devs and regain some goodwill from devs by making serious commitments to improving their infrastructure. There's definitely moneyhatting and a lot of executive decisions behind the push of EGS but they're also clearly capitalizing on the devs' disillusionment with Steam.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
gnuim6esr2211.png

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
You are not going to like the actual answer to that and that is playing the same game that Epic is playing and giving the money for exclusivity should Valve actually want to do something.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
100% isn't enough, because that's what it is now? Key generation is free.
I didn't say they should stop doing key generation.

Plenty of developers link to their steam page on various places today (like social media and websites), if they are bringing people into Steam they deserve a larger cut.

I think that the key stuff is good for many users, but I think it's a transaction with more friction than just staying within the Steam ecosystem for some users.

But yeah if Valve are happy getting a 0% cut on sales outside of their ecosystem, they should be happy taking a cut reduced by 5% for sales within their ecosystem that are generated from outside their ecosystem.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They need to increase the cut to devs and regain some goodwill from devs by making serious commitments to improving their infrastructure. There's definitely moneyhatting and a lot of executive decisions behind the push of EGS but they're also clearly capitalizing on the devs' disillusionment with Steam.
Clearly this isnt enough considering they take 0% of key sales.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Totally unrelated to a moneybag.

You're not even making sense here. If you were right, they'd skip Steam altogether.
But yet, they're coming a year later for no reason ?

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
If Steam were a piece of shit platform, the Steam releases would not be delayed, they would be cancelled.
Maybe they should be. Why journalists get all the outrage for not being too hard on THQ Nordic doing AMA on 8chan, but Steam seemingly gets the pass on taking so long to remove more (or at least comparably) offensive games?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say they should stop doing key generation.

Plenty of developers link to their steam page on various places today (like social media and websites), if they are bringing people into Steam they deserve a larger cut.

I think that the key stuff is good for many users, but I think it's a transaction with more friction than just staying within the Steam ecosystem for some users.

But yeah if Valve are happy getting a 0% cut on sales outside of their ecosystem, they should be happy taking a cut reduced by 5% for sales within their ecosystem that are generated from outside their ecosystem.
Yeah that's an idea. Ebay does the same thing. The fee is less if your buyer purchases your item through a link rather than through searching eBay.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Epic is taking quality games away from Steam, but they're mostly from the more niche studios. Outer Worlds, Metro Exodus, and Control were never going to be blockbuster hits. But they all add up. Bethesda seems to be veering completely towards their launcher, which will be a huge deal when Starfield and DOOM Eternal come around. The sharks are circling the (steam)boat. It will be interesting to see how Valve reacts.