• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill for sure but a special mention for the first Condemned game. I'll never forget playing through that game at the launch of the 360. Amazing game.

Dmonzy

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play the Silent Hill games. Usually every year I break out Amnesia, Dead Space, Resident Evil, and P.T. and have a marathon with a few friends

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really like horror games but I tried the outlast demo last year and that shit was terrifying. I can't understand how anyone can sit at home alone and play those kind of games. Almost had a fuckin heart attack. I don't see the fun in that. I appreciate it though

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 2 is not only my favorite horror game of all time, it's also my favorite piece of horror fiction to date. Pure brilliance.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill 1/2

I need to pick up RE7 for VR. I have not played a horror game in ages.... Going to be a big baby when I do

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd have to say Eternal Darkness, but that's mostly because I don't really like the genre, but ED was good enough for me to finish enough times to get the true ending. The only other survival horror I deigned to finish was Resident Evil 5 with my sister in co-op which was hilarious due to out rework fails, but not particularly scary.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill 1

I remember only playing the game at mid night it made immersion better it did scare me but nowadays i'm immune to horror games.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 3. Closely followed by Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil Remake. SH2 was not that scary.

This was SH3. Survival Horror perfected.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 3
Nothing comes even clsoe when it comes to scariness.
Eternal Darkness is really good, too.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Isolation is a game that will never let you feel safe even for a minute. I love the never ending tension. Want to save your game? Well then you have to make sure, the Alien is not in your vicintity, as it takes a while and leaves you defenceless until it's finished. Or you try to sneak away from the Alien while it moves in the opposite direction of you. Every step you take feels tense as it could just randomly decide to turn around and kill you. You can't just memorize the paths it takes and then sneak past it without fear of being spottet. It's A.I. randomizes its behaviour. Many don't like it for that fact alone, for me it's what makes it the unique experience it is.

Soma has one of the best stories not just in horror, but in games as a whole. That questions if you really are who you are, and how you can be certain of that. It's desolate underwater facilities have a nice atmosphere. I even like many of it's encounters. Sure they aren't the best in the genre but they get the job done in creating tension. I also had to swallow hard, a few times, as i learned about the fate of the few remaining survivors. The ending will also stay with me for a very long time.

Resident Evil 4 is the game i bought the gamecube for. It's still the best survival horror game with a focus on action, that i've played. It has the jump scares that are so common for the genre but because it controls better than previous titles it makes them not as aggrevating, if you should die to them. I also care more about the characters in this entry then any other Resident Evil, with the exception of 2 maybe. I mean i even like Ashley. It's highlight are certainly the boss fights though. I don't think it had a single one that i disliked.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I loved Alien: Isolation and in the same-ish sci-fi vein, SOMA. (SOMA is on sale in EU Playstation Store btw)

Edit. the poster above knows whats up

LastPaige

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space 2
Silent Hill 3
Deadly Premonition

Honorable mention to White Day. A game that scared me so hard i've never gone back to it.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First one that comes to mind is Silent Hill 2.
Others are Resident Evil, Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition.

Honourable mention to the Robbing the Cradle/Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 7. I'm only a couple hours in but it gives me a real sense of fear unlike any horror game I've played. I think the photo realism and first person perspective tricks my mind into thinking I'm really there. Even without VR I'm getting really sucked into this one. I'm glad I didn't pass on it because I'm not much of a Resident Evil fan.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare. Not only is it arguably even better than the main game, but it injects a healthy dose of much needed humor. I basically like my scary stuff to be goofy as well, though with exceptions.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
REmake
Resident Evil 4 (action horror)
RE7
RE2
Silent Hill 2
Dead Space (action horror)
Outlast
F.E.A.R.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I love all things horror but my biggest gaming regret is never playing the original Silent Hill games, the only one I played was Homecoming.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 2 is my absolute favorite horror game; it's a masterpiece.
Silent Hills 1, 2, and 3 are all gold tbh.
Fatal Frame 1 and 2 are great as well.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 1 is my favorite horror game of all time. It's the only one that still manages to scare and unnerve me even after multiple playthroughs. The horror elements were masterfully executed, particularly with the use of darkness and the radio.

I've also played Siren: Blood Curse, Silent Hill 3, Forgotten Memories, Lone Survivor, The Evil Within 2, REmake and Resident Evil 7, and while they are also pretty good horror games, they don't quite capture the terror that Silent Hill 1 succeeds at.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every morning I wake up and think how grateful I am that I lived in a time to play Silent Hill 2 and 3.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 2
REmake
Dead Space
Alien Isolation

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is a good one but for me a good Halloween game needs gothic horror elements. So I love Castlevania 4, Castlevania 64 (yea, I know everyone hates it), Luigi's Mansion.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a ton of horror games but so far:
- Dead Space and Dead Space 2
- Resident Evil 1 (still have to play through 2-7)
- Condemned: Criminal Origins (it's a shame the sequel went a completely different route)

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
REmake
Silent Hill
Dead Space 2

REmake is probably my favorite, a great mix of atmosphere and sound effects, enough new features and changes to trip up veterans, and the nostalgia factor just pushes this one above the rest for me.

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
Alien Isolation
Resident Evil 1
Dead space
Dead rising
The complete Doom series
Until Dawn

Oct 27, 2017
Alien Isolation, Resident Evil 2 and The Evil Within are my favorite traditional horror games. The older Thief games have a great creepy atmosphere as well and are my favorite non-horror horror games. There is just something so startling about the footsteps quickly coming after you and suddenly being called a taffer while trying to be sneaky.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 1&2
REmake
Amnesia

That's scene with pyramid head scarred me as a kid. Nightmares for a couple of nights lol.

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
My favorites would have to be Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil CV, Silent Hill 3, Outlast, Clock Tower, System Shock 2 (totally counts) and Eternal Darkness.

Totally.

May be weird picks but I would also go with Bloodborne and System Shock 2.

I would say Alien Isolation but I couldn't handle it.... too stressful...

You guys know what's up!

Silent Hill 1 & 2 for me are easy picks, but aside from System Shock 2 as these fine folks mentioned I really enjoyed that Clive Barker's Undying game on PC.

clivebarker.jpg

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
Dead space is the only game in my experience worthy of being called an horror game. What an amazing game.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Silent Hill 2 is great, I have no mouth and I must scream, and after finishing The Evil within 2 that is up on the list as well

BobbyBoulders

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge horror buff. Movies, games, books, etc. So I've played a lot but I'll try to narrow it down in terms of games that actually scared me in one way or another.

Before we even start, PT and the Cainhurst Castle section of Bloodborne are god tier horror game experiences.

Here are some other favorites in no particular order.

Resident Evil 2
Dead Space
Amnesia
Soma
Resident Evil 7
Silent Hill 2
Outlast

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge wimp so getting me to finish a horror game is a big accomplishment. That said:

Silent Hill 3
Fatal frame 1&2
Alien isolation
Dead space

Oct 27, 2017
It Came From The Desert (Amiga version)
The Cat Lady (really must get around to trying Downfall while it's on sale)
Alien Isolation
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
The Colonel's Bequest
Shadow of the Comet
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Layers Of Fear
Last Of Us
Condemned. (The house level.. nuff said)
I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream
Nightmare Creatures
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Alone In The Dark 2
Obscure
Soma
The Suffering
Bioshock
Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth (Great article in a recent issue of Retro Gamer concerning it's troubled development)
Saw 1&2 (Weirdly enjoyable despite the bad reviews)
Legacy Of Kain
Waxworks
Darkseed
Outlast
ZombiU
Parasite Eve 1&2
Sanitarium
Silent Hill series
Resi series
Darkness 1&2
A couple of those Blair Witch games on PC in the early noughties
Bits and pieces of the Fatal Frame (Project Zero) series

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
The horror genre is my absolute favorite, so I've thoroughly enjoyed countless games the average consumer would label mediocre, but Silent Hill 2 and REmake are my go to when I think about perfection in the genre. REmake for its superb survival mechanics and masterful play on assumptions. SH2 for its unrivaled presentation and story.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 2 is on my top 10.
I also love Silent Hill 1 and 4.
Resident Evil 1,2 and 4 and Dead Space are amongst my favs.
From recent years, Outlast 2 was amazing! Resident Evil 7 was really fun too, Until Dawn aswell.
But no game has scared me more than Amnesia. I actually quit the game because I was too scared to continue, it was just too much for me.
I still really need to play Alien Isolation, The Evil Within and SOMA.