• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They do have Eternal Darkness. Wasn't Geist a Nintendo IP as well?

That's true but I think if they rebooted Enternal Darkness it'll fall under the Horror genre which is mature all things considered and There's nothing wrong with that but I was thinking more with them expanding into other more popular genre in different ways. Hell depending on the direction they go with Metroid Prime 4 that may fall under the umbrella I'm thinking of.

I was thinking along the lines with their story telling, topics, and how they go about it. Legend of Zelda has its formula and Mario has its formula. I never want to see Grand Theft Auto Mario Edition or Legend of Zelda casual sex scene if you do enough side quest. Maybe new ips with a more mature story telling to appeal more then just their current fan base. Maybe get a new studio to create their own FPS multiplayer ip.

I'm not saying and didn't mean to imply that they currently don't have mature ips. I meant more along the lines of acquiring something new to create something new. I also love Nintendo's current line up and would love to see them expand what they currrently offer.

I also don't know about Geist at all. I need to look that up.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
With a Mario Kart released not too long ago, it might make more sense to make a new Diddy Kong Racing next.

I'd honestly be very much okay with that. Mario Kart in it's current form is pretty well complete, maybe some more DLC if they really want to keep up interest, but even then I don't think it incredibly necessary unless they want to add more battle stages. Diddy Kong Racing: Revival would be a great way to test out new mechanics and bring back popular vehicles, a new mission mode and keep it varied enough to differentiate it from DKR

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I wish they would start a new division with more mature games. I wonder the kind of games we would be getting from them if they'd be able to develop freely and not be restricted by kiddy looking games or light hearted stories.
What would make you assume they aren't developing freely, everytime I hear a Nintendo designer talk they seem to be quite happy with the output they create. They work by prototyping gameplay ideas, and when they are satisfied with that they either use an existing IP or build a new IP (splatoon was originally with tofu blocks spraying paint, and they considered the mario cast before they went with a new IP, for example). To be honest, if you prefer "mature" games (whatever that means , i'm 37 but i assume dark/action'ish?) you kind of know Nintendo's internal studio's aren't into that and they rather have 3rd parties or satellite studio's like platinum/treasure etc handle those.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly be very much okay with that. Mario Kart in it's current form is pretty well complete, maybe some more DLC if they really want to keep up interest, but even then I don't think it incredibly necessary unless they want to add more battle stages. Diddy Kong Racing: Revival would be a great way to test out new mechanics and bring back popular vehicles, a new mission mode and keep it varied enough to differentiate it from DKR
Retro is probably making Diddy Kong Racing.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I can see them building a more robust support team for third parties (helping with api/indies/manuals/translation/engines/porting), let SPD work with third parties using Nintendo IP and growing Monolith Kyoto as their HD texture/object creation studio for internal projects though. It has been their strategy for the last few years and seems to work well for them.

SPD doesn't exist anymore. Anyway, I prefer Nintendo to keep studio acquisitions to a minimum. This is a company who has prided itself on homegrown talent, so their focus should be on individual creators, not arbitrary studio names.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I necessarily need to see them expand, but I hope they spend those hard earned dollars on collaborations to fill genre and stylistic gaps that their line-ups tend to have. It's early days for the Switch, but Nintendo needs to splash that money similar to the Wii era where alongside your Mario and Kirby and whatever we had stuff like Sin & Punishment 2. Rabbids x Mario is excellent, but I don't just want franchise collaborations. Give us some independent exclusives from an assortment of franchises and new IPs. I want to be surprised like I was with Shattered Memories, Red Steel 2, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Acquisitions aren't what they're about right now considering it's easier for them to just partner with external companies instead of managing more studios.

But I do believe companies that can get under Nintendo's leash at least a bit benefit greatly benefit from guidance. It's happened before.

CoughcoughSiliconKnightscoughCough

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Their portable IPs are now full blown console IPs, which should be enough of a shock to the industry.

1080p Fire Emblem? That's huge. Pokémon Switch will be groundbreaking for Nintendo.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the game is bigger than what they previously worked on? Like maybe it`s not a 2d platformer this time...

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
SPD doesn't exist anymore. Anyway, I prefer Nintendo to keep studio acquisitions to a minimum. This is a company who has prided itself on homegrown talent, so their focus should be on individual creators, not arbitrary studio names.
Ofcourse, but SPD used to do third party relations, they still have people doing the same under another name. I can definitly see them invest in that instead of acquistitions

Not really. Their portable IPs are now full blown console IPs, which should be enough of a shock to the industry.
Indeed, which is why I see them growing Monolith Kyoto as an asset studio for their other internal projects, be it zelda, fire emblem, splatoon or whatever.

Took them over 3 years to make a pretty safe DKCR sequel. Which....well, fine if that's the only thing.
We're closing in on 4 years since it was released and their next game isn't even announced.
Seems like struggling to me.
That's unfair since we know they also worked on mario kart 7 and quite some people think DKTF is the best 2D platformer ever made (personally I didn't like it too much - i bought it but never got even halfway). I wouldn't say they are struggling. They're quite a small studio after all compared to other western studio's these days.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I can see Nintendo expanding their current studios and creating new partnerships, but I really don't see them buying a new studio or forming one from the ground up. And frankly, neither is necessary. The latter is especially pointless since it's way easier to expand the existing studios than try to make something new from the ground up for what is essentially the same result

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Took them over 3 years to make a pretty safe DKCR sequel. Which....well, fine if that's the only thing.
We're closing in on 4 years since it was released and their next game isn't even announced.
Seems like struggling to me.
It might have been safe... but it was DANG good. Games that well done don't come from struggling studios.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't like purchasing a companies they rather have second partys who develop solely for them. It's easier to outsource to other companies at this point. Because purchasing a company means a change of management and that leads to a whole slew of problems to the point the company you purchase may not be the same company anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
They thought RETRO isn't up to snuff to make Prime 4 so they had to make a new studio.
Yes, they helped with MK7. It was like one stage and some animations? Doesn't seem like a humongous task, but as I said the wait for DKCTF was fine if it was the only thing.
They also had a lot of help from Monster Games but that's beside the point.

Yes, I know Nintendo has barely any titles announced for next year but I don't think they'll announce RETRO's game any time soon and release it within the next 6 months or so.
A studio that was supposed to put out a game every 3 years taking 5 doesn't sound good.
If the project is massive then they'd prove me wrong.
We'll see

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think so. They have such an idiosyncratic approach to game development, they don't really need other studios. Perhaps we'll see more deals for individual games though.

Oct 30, 2017
They will have to increase their budgets for all their IPs which means bigger teams.

Full console HD Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Animal Crossing etc all require higher budgets.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's going to be more interesting seeing what Nintendo is capable of when their entire company is able to push titles to a single platform. Then we'll see if they need to gobble up more companies.

malyse

Community Resetter
So you want a series of well executed but relatively unambitious 2D games using Nintendo IP? I can get behind that, especially with that Nintendo pressure for quality.
I think WayForward would take risks if they weren't concerned about funding. But setting that aside, WF tends to put a lot of polish on their games. Like, from a 2D aesthetic they are pretty top notch. They also made like one of the only spiritual successors I've seen to Zelda 2 in Adventure Time Hey Ice King. I think that having exposure to Nintendo advice and mentorship could make them into one of the best studios in the biz.

Aside from that, I would also like to see Armature apply ReCore's sensibilities to Metroid and Visceral be reunited by Nintendo to apply Dead Space's survival horror to Metroid. Basically, I want like four different Metroids to all be in production at once.
And I want at least two of them to have someone else in a Varia Suit, because Metroid doesn't actually require Samus.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
They thought RETRO isn't up to snuff to make Prime 4 so they had to make a new studio.
Yes, they helped with MK7. It was like one stage and some animations? Doesn't seem like a humongous task, but as I said the wait for DKCTF was fine if it was the only thing.

This didn't make any sense on my thread, and still doesn't make sense now

Deleted member 4067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro made the greatest 2D platformer of all time, lol @ them struggling.

If they acquire any smaller studios it should be Image & Form or Yacht Club imo

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
They also had a lot of help from Monster Games but that's beside the point.

Yes, I know Nintendo has barely any titles announced for next year but I don't think they'll announce RETRO's game any time soon and release it within the next 6 months or so.
A studio that was supposed to put out a game every 3 years taking 5 doesn't sound good.
If the project is massive then they'd prove me wrong.
We'll see
How do you know they didn't think retro was up to snuff? They could have just been busy when development started. They could have not wanted to do prime 4. Tabata could have just wanted a new team

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they find more value in what Retro is working on than making them do prime 4 if they can have another studio do it. Also maybe Retro themselves don't want to do another prime game.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the cost of expanding, they're also not going to anytime soon because Nintendo already considers themselves to have significantly increased their effective output by moving from one single piece of hardware to support instead of two separate ones.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't when they raked in the money with Wii and DS.
Not seeing any reason why I should expect them to change.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly OT, I'd like them to invest in a good technology group too.

I think they are mostly safe software wise for another 10-20 years, though more studios won't hurt.
The biggest risk in the console space is console transitions and Nintendo's history has been very poor.

Their technology team during the Wii U era was tunnel visioned on efficiency and power consumption, to the point that's the only thing they bragged about in the Iwata Asks.

They need a technology group that is responsive to the market and developer desires. It doesn't mean make the most powerful device at all costs, but a team that is mindful of where competitors will be a target specs necessary to be in range of that, for things like ports and multiplat releases and being able to run the current middleware engines on the market. I'd rather a Switch 2 with six hour battery life and significant performance gains than Switch 2 with 20 hour battery life and negligible jump in power.

Since Nintendo doesn't manufacture the chips that goes into their hardware, they need to go out with an RFP to their technology partners for new designs and that work has to be overseen by someone in house.

If you have a tunnel visioned group, you get something like the Wii U, which has good ideas, because if you read the Iwata asks, they describe what the Switch is when they talk about not leeching off the TV, but my god, the focus on efficiency is probably why the Wii U was so under-powered for a traditional hardware that came so late in the cycle. I fee like this is one case where doubling the size of the Wii U probably would have doubled sales.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should invest in more western studios. I'd like to see partners like Next Level, Monster Games, or Tantalus become Nintendo-owned studios, would give them more security and insure Nintendo has plenty of development teams to push content on Switch.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I'd imagine they would invest in opening up a new studio out of nothing.

Buying studios, eh, you'd risk a few things. Iwata was right about buying a name, not the creators. Collabs is the way to go in that case.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reason Wii U's failure didn't damage them too much is that they didn't over expand during the Wii years.

Nov 9, 2017
I don't see them expanding themselves, but probably collaborating with other companies more frequently. Nintendo is a very conservative company, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They have a lot fewer employees than their competitors, but they also don't close studios or have layoffs as frequently as their peers. This article is a few years old but it seems pretty valid. https://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4496512/why-nintendos-satoru-iwata-refuses-to-lay-off-staff Because they value their staff and don't close studios as casually as others they have to be more cautious about expanding.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Buying or creating studios is expensive.
Especially when there's plenty of smaller studios avaliable for hire that already do great work.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't see them expanding themselves, but probably collaborating with other companies more frequently. Nintendo is a very conservative company, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They have a lot fewer employees than their competitors, but they also don't close studios or have layoffs as frequently as their peers. This article is a few years old but it seems pretty valid. https://www.polygon.com/2013/7/5/4496512/why-nintendos-satoru-iwata-refuses-to-lay-off-staff Because they value their staff and don't close studios as casually as others they have to be more cautious about expanding.
this is the number one thing I hope Tatsumi Kimishima does not change now that he is the CEO.

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I just sadly don't think they will. :( They need more exclusive support, but they're terrified about folks just up and leaving if a buyout happens. Monolith was a stroke of brilliant luck but that was a culmination of a history of Nintendo trying to buy Bandai (and supposedly Namco also), so that's the only reason that even happened.

Nintendo's got so many folks they work with that should be picked up, if nothing more than to prevent them from going elsewhere; chief example; Monster Games. :/

Game Freak also due to that whole thing about Tembo: The Badass Elephant. Jeez...

Next Level Games should be immediately bought to prevent them from slipping. I know Nintendo values relationships rather than pure buyouts, but again, they let Monster Games slip away after an exclusive relationship lasting a whole decade. That should make them reconsider their stance.

One currently not part of their relationship group that is a fucking no-brainer to just buy is of course Playtonic. A huge amount of veterans are there from Rare, just grab them! Give them back DK and we can finally get a proper sequel to DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing!

Platinum Games should also be on their sights. Interestingly, Gameblog said that they heard that was indeed a possibility, and before you ignore that, they were the first group to EVER leak Mario + Rabbids.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Nintendo has been streadily growing their staff. They built a new HQ on Wii/DS hyper profits and got bigger than ever -- more than 5000 people.

Iwata also did a major restructuring, uniting SPD1, EAD teams and hardware teams in one big EPD.

They also brought in NERD.

PS. People who want more studios because they don't make enough games need to have their eyes checked: Nintendo is by far the most prolific developer/publisher among the big three and releases more games yearly than EA/Ubisoft.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
They should make 2 mid size studios to put out arcade sports games.

They got everything else covered.