• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They already have alot of studios but hey, the more the better as long as quality remains top notch.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They already have alot of studios but hey, the more the better as long as quality remains top notch.
That's the key here. I know too many stories of studios like Telltale or BioWare... Arguably EA, succumbing to simply trying to run too many things at the same time. It increases chance of mismanagement or rushed development cycles. I guess it also depends on what way the company leadership operates. I bet at Nintendo they probably already have multiple general managers with all their subsidiaries, but there's still someone all the way up top having to make a lot of final calls and that's going to get messier the more studios you own as far as I've witnessed as a gamer. I'd love to see Nintendo make way for more productions though, but like you, I just hope it's something they can stand to handle too so they don't get bloated.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Considering they've said Metroid Prime 4 is being made by a "talented new development team" led by Tanabe, they might have already done so.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they get Playtonic ... then let them make Diddy Kong Racing or a new DKC game...

:(

If there's any studio that would benefit from the Nintendo touch, it's these fellas. Shame they probably don't want to be under another studio after Microsoft.

Platinum Games should also be on their sights. Interestingly, Gameblog said that they heard that was indeed a possibility, and before you ignore that, they were the first group to EVER leak Mario + Rabbids.

That was before Nier Automata came out, right? I'm sure with that game being a smash hit the idea of Nintendo buying Platinum is less likely.

Last edited:

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They really don't need to at the moment. They have plenty of partners, the usual suspects (Intelligent Systems, Game Freak, Next Level Games, Monster, Platinum, Camelot, Grezzo, Tantalus, HAL, Sakurai, Creatures) plus new ones such as Mercury Steam, which I guess will be more than happy to keep working on 2D Metroid for them for the time being, given their success, or Ubisoft Milan, which clearly has a profound love for Nintendo and is without a doubt doubling down on their collaboration. Also, they are doing fine licensing their IPs to other medium sized Japanese publishers, such as Koei Tecmo (Hyrule/FE Warriors, Other M) and Namco Bandai (Smash, Pokken, F-Zero in the past), initiative that they probably want to extend to other pubs as well: they've already worked with Capcom on Zelda in the past, with Square on Super Mario RPG, I can see them working together again.

Besides, now they should concentrate on making the recently restructuring work well in first place and transfer their portable focused series to the big screen without hiccups.

Buy Rare back from Ms as that pirates game is probably going to bomb.
Rare of today =/= Rare of 15 years ago. Also, buying a company whose most ambitious game in years allegedly bombed, doesn't seem like a sound business decision.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Not sure if it's needed with all hands on deck for the Switch, rather than developers being spread out across two platforms.

Like, take the Mario Kart team for example, if Nintendo continued on with a handheld and home console they would have had to go MK8 -> new handheld MK -> new home console MK, but now instead they had free time to go MK8 -> ARMS -> Switch MK.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see them invest in Igarashi's studio Artplay. I would say Kojima's as well but his connection seems strong with Sony. I think a strong leader at the studio head would make the acquisition more attractive.

Konami has some good IP which could benefit from Nintendo quality as well.

Elfteiroh

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec
Nintendo has been streadily growing their staff. They built a new HQ on Wii/DS hyper profits and got bigger than ever -- more than 5000 people.

Iwata also did a major restructuring, uniting SPD1, EAD teams and hardware teams in one big EPD.

They also brought in NERD.

PS. People who want more studios because they don't make enough games need to have their eyes checked: Nintendo is by far the most prolific developer/publisher among the big three and releases more games yearly than EA/Ubisoft.
Yeah. people asking Nintendo to greatly expand are basically asking for Nintendo to become a microcosm of the video game market... They are almost doing that already. As much as I like Nintendo, it's better if they don't do everything. Third parties already have trouble competing against them (and that's even comparing their sales on other platforms, not just Nintendo's own...)
I mean, how many times have we seen Nintendo being first publisher in Japan? How many time have we heard that same thing for the west, even when they only have one game in the top ten for that month, but all the other lost after 10, and that single one make up a big chunk (sometimes a quarter to a third) of the whole game industry? Nintendo success tend to be either VERY visible like the Wii, or subtle, because it's often spread among more than a dozen different title across almost as many genres.

Oh wow... Sorry for the derailing. o_o