• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
with op's momentum and growing reader base, i feeptimistic this thread will flourish

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
third-party is already seeing strong success among indie titles and third-party games that wouldn't normally make a dent in other western markets. i think the main takeaway here is going to be that people should not expect a 1:1 with other platforms when it comes to the term 'success.' the switch's third-parties can be successful selling several games that hit the 300k-500k mark, not having to clear some insane mark ten times that amount to cover marketing expenses and years of development among hundreds of people. the ecosystem is going to be different, more akin to what the ps2 or ds allowed when it came to smaller games in the west.

VillagerMax

Nov 4, 2017
Feel Optimistic -A fellow mobile user of this website
(Why are these text boxes so glitchy on mobile anyway? The auto correct tends to remove characters and the text box just fuses words as a result)

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After all these year, we can't properly post a thread on mobile. Gotta wonder what these mobile companies have been working on.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeptimistic at all, OP. Console isn't a DS to be cheap enough to make exclusive games for and big third parties don't look very interested at all.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rather feepish on your point, OP. Unless you count indies prominently among third party. Then I too am feeptimisic.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I'm not feeptimistic at all, OP. Console isn't a DS to be cheap enough to make exclusive games for and big third parties don't look very interested at all.

This kind of statement is just not based in reality. Have you actually looked at the numbers? How much time have you spent with the console? ALSO: Feeptimistic is a great word. Someone get Webster's on the line.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
The Switch will get heaps of third party support.

It won't be the same type of support Ps4 and 1X get though.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I share your feeptimism, OP. Especially as far as middle-tier budget titles and indies go, there's a lot to feep great about. "Third party" as a term doesn't only apply to huge-budget graphical showcases. I have a feeping that some of the larger third parties are currently getting some things together for Switch after initially being surprised by its success.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
We'll see. The Wii and WiiU had a lot of third-party support at launch too. However, that soon ended once publishers realized that customers generally weren't interested in inferior ports of games that came out years ago. Granted, the Switch ports are more recent but they are drastically inferior to the other platforms. I don't really see publishers making Switch exclusives either, as that doesn't fit with their multiplatform business model.

I predict that indies will continue to do pretty well, though as the Switch marketplace becomes saturated, it'll be harder to stand out and we'll see fewer big successes. AAA publishers will eventually ditch the platform, as their multiplatform releases won't sell enough on Switch to offset the costs involved in porting them.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
third-party is already seeing strong success among indie titles and third-party games that wouldn't normally make a dent in other western markets. i think the main takeaway here is going to be that people should not expect a 1:1 with other platforms when it comes to the term 'success.' the switch's third-parties can be successful selling several games that hit the 300k-500k mark, not having to clear some insane mark ten times that amount to cover marketing expenses and years of development among hundreds of people. the ecosystem is going to be different, more akin to what the ps2 or ds allowed when it came to smaller games in the west.
Or the Wii
maybe not even the Wii but a little smaller

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys

What's going on
pug-dog-reaction-turns-around-slowly-13915564480.gif

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I think it will get some of the indie games released on other platforms and few of the smaller Japanese games but that's about it.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I doubt it. Third parties are only porting titles to the switch so the switch owners wont feel bad or be left out overall.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I think Sony is going to lose some Japanese games, but other than that, identical to the last two generations.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
FEEPTIMISTIC. God please let this thread flourish, I need it.

(Also, third parties are already flourishing. They're called indies.)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
We'll see. The Wii and WiiU had a lot of third-party support at launch too. However, that soon ended once publishers realized that customers generally weren't interested in inferior ports of games that came out years ago. Granted, the Switch ports are more recent but they are drastically inferior to the other platforms. I don't really see publishers making Switch exclusives either, as that doesn't fit with their multiplatform business model.

I predict that indies will continue to do pretty well, though as the Switch marketplace becomes saturated, it'll be harder to stand out and we'll see fewer big successes. AAA publishers will eventually ditch the platform, as their multiplatform releases won't sell enough on Switch to offset the costs involved in porting them.
Well third party is not only ports, plenty of TP games had success on the Wii just not the ones you would expect (and many times wasn't technically possible anyways)

Switch is selling well but only time will tell how third parties approach this , one positive example already is the last gen remasters/ports because they are easier to do and portability is appealing.
Dark Souls remaster, Dragon Ball, Skyrim, etc.
As long as you have realistic/reasonable expectations you will be good

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This. Would a typical, cookie cutter AAA style third party game do well enough for the cost of the port to make it worth it aka RoI? Probably not. But smaller titles seem like they're doing ridiculously well, which is something we haven't seen in a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Heres a pro-tip for newbies such as the OP in creating a thread.

PUT NOTHING IN THE THREAD TITLE TILL THE BODY IS READY TO GO.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Third parties are only porting titles to the switch so the switch owners wont feel bad or be left out overall.
What? Lmao

Im just picturing a meeting of suits at Bethesda deciding to greenlight a DOOM port because one guy said "we don't wanna hurt switch owners' feelings"

That's ridiculous. They are porting them because there is money to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.