• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you more comfortable buying PS4 games digitally now that BC's been confirmed?

• Yes

Votes: 149 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 65 14.5%
  • It's never been an issue for me

Votes: 235 52.3%

• Total voters

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I know I am. Having digital games tied to one console - when downloads may be cut off at any point - always rubbed me the wrong way so I would always go physical if I had the choice, massive sales aside. While the PS5 BC announcement doesn't totally eliminate that possibility (see PT), it does at least show a commitment to supporting games longer term, so it's not like my digital copy of RDR2 (one of the rare exceptions I've made, mainly because Amazon fucked up) will be stuck in PS4 limbo if I feel like going back to it in five years or something.

I'm not going all-in on digital yet or anything like that, but it's good piece of mind and it makes it a better looking option.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. In fact PS5 being confirmed to have disc support makes me more comfortable buying a PS5.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
No, because it's not the core issue with game preservation/ownership. My fear is having my owned content taken away, not the platform(s) I can play it on because physical media has those same limitations.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
No, because it's not the core issue with game preservation/ownership. My fear is having my owned content taken away, not the platform(s) I can play it on because physical media has those same limitations.
This is true.

Who knows if I'll be able to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1&2 on PS5?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I have never had a game that I bought digitally taken away from me. I can continue to play games that I own that have been delisted from a storefront.

Oct 27, 2017
Until Sony decides to stop treating their digital customers like shit and exploiting any loophole they can find that gives them the one up over their customers in any dispute, no. I mean they can take your games away at a whim and never give them back. That's crazy.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
No because they haven't really announced anything and there's no guarantee about PS6 or 7

Just PS4 b/c is meh. They need PS1/2/3/4 b/c from physical discs

Until Sony decides to stop treating their digital customers like shit and exploiting any loophole they can find that gives them the one up over their customers in any dispute, no. I mean they can take your games away at a whim and never give them back. That's crazy.
As someone who spent hundreds (thousands?) on digital PS3 stuff, I'm basically just done with Playstation as a brand entirely after they pissed on me this gen

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Yep I'm all digital now. Just bought Days gone, blood and truth, wolfenstein cyberpilot, and Judgement. And then cancelled my best buy order.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but I'm still cautious since we don't have details on how this PS4 backward compatibility will work on PS5.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't that worried about it, but it certainly makes me feel better about upgrading when the time comes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I've withheld digital games from Sony because they've been reluctant to commit to BC. I'm still not going to go down digital route until they confirm BC and saves will be free to migrate over to PS5. But I'm encouraged with thier confirmation.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Right there with you OP. Outside of sales, I always bought physical. Wasn't really an issue since I like physical but sometimes I prefer the convenience of digital. Now with it confirmed, there's no concerns on my end.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how your logic works. They announced BC, which would enable you to play PS4 physical and digital games.

Your main concern was that you wouldn't be able to play your digital games on PS5? Shouldn't you have had that same concern with physical games?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I mean I already bought some stuff digital but I will still buy 99% physical. What the announcement did was basically make sure I don't buy a multiplat on my X1X again. I already prefer Playstation anyway so BC on PS5 was the only thing holding me back from turning my X into an exclusive machine again.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
It was never really an issue but I was always a little sad my Digital P3 games were stuck there.

Hoping the patents are true and that we also get older systems too and all digital stuff is there day one.

It would get me there day one. Also they need to still have the ability to 'share' digital purchases between your main and secondary system like you can now. If tha goes away I may walk period.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, yes. I feel more comfortable acquiring games now than I did before.

Now, here's hoping there's native BC for PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I said no because while im still leary of collecting console games digitally, it had nothing to do with the perfectly obvious bc announcement. Even most of the people pretending to doubt it knew it was coming.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
They will have a very hard time taking purchased content away in EU.

Oct 27, 2017
Never been an issue for me because it was pretty obvious future consoles were going to be x86 and support current gen (there is no benefit to them or MS to break hardware compat for this gen then break again in future since ecosystems have the weight that they do now).

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
I'm already all digital but this confirmation is good.
If PS5 will work with all PS4 games day one then it's great. Doesn't really care about PS1-3.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's was never an issue to begin with. Here's why:

- I'm not getting any younger, so I have to priorities what I play, and that is usually something new.
- Even without the confirmation, I was certain we were going to get full PS4 BC on PS5.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It was not an issue but it encouraging me to jump into the PS5 earlier than I usually do (4 years after release of a console). One of my favorite features of PC gaming, the ability to carry over your library.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me BC is all about getting old games I never played before. I don't care about if I can play the game I own ten years from now as I never replay games.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I have never had a game that I bought digitally taken away from me. I can continue to play games that I own that have been delisted from a storefront.
I have, Sony has completely removed 3 games I've owned. P.T., which was free, along with Kyuiin and Magical Drop F. All three were removed from download lists also, I can never download them again. I did manage to get a refund at least. Sony appears to have done it with Yakiniku Bugyou, Magical Drop, and Afro Samurai 2 (apparently with an automatic refund, which was nice) as well. Oh, and there's the Playstation Mobile stuff that's gone forever too.

Sony deleting games from download lists is a real thing that happens, fortunately it's rare.

I'd be a lot more impressed with Sony's commitment to supporting digital downloads if they'd let us play PS1 and PS2 Classics on PS4 without having to purchase them again.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
It's too bad we don't all have that protection. It shouldn't be a thing under any circumstance to lock a person out of their digitally purchased items. Until Sony is pro consumer on all fronts of their digital items, I advocate against purchasing anything on psn.
I'm not sure I follow. They have never taken any purchased digital license away, so what is it that you want them to show?

Feb 15, 2019
Just wondering, why keep the PS4 if you can do the same things with the PS5? Seems like a hassle to keep both when the PS5 can play the same games and more.

I can't speak for the person you quoted but I personally won't sell my ps4 just because I have PT on it. I consider it a collector's item because of that and that makes me not wanna get rid of it.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Depends on the how BC is handled if everything is playable from day one then sure but if its the way ms does it where only approved games work then thats a different story.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Was there actually any instance where they took a game away from people who purchased the game?

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
After huge censorship coming on PS consoles I'm not confortable even just thinking to buy a PS5... So...

Oct 27, 2017
I went full digital this gen and can't see myself going back to physical. No, even without BC I would've bought PS5 and kept my Pro for the digital games. The probabiliy for this scenarion was 0.05% because Sony might get arrogant at times but they're not thaaat stupid.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
It makes me more comfortable buying ANYTHING related to Sony Playstation. I know that my games will work in the future, no matter if I buy physical or digital. I know that I can just buy the PS5 and look forward to it. It gives me a reassuring feeling.

I am a physical person though. I like my physical games and I want to continue the physical route.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I care more that my discs will work. Digital content will most likely someday be gone forever down the line. So backwards compatability means that at the very least, my discs will work even without being connected to anything.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been okay with buying digital games, even though I probably still buy more physical. I just tend to buy at the cheapest point it's available.

However, what the news does do is make me more comfortable with getting the PS5 day 1, instead of waiting 2-3 years for a library to build like I did with the PS4. Knowing that my PS4 games would benefit from being on SSD is a huge plus for me. I'll probably give my pro away to my friend.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voted Yes, but the clincher for me is disc support. I own like 60 PS4 games on disc. Not having to hold on to my PS4 to play those is a huge perk for me. I think the PS5 will probably be the only console I buy next gen now.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
If the price is right, I now have no problem buying a PS4 game digitally.

I know it's been speculated for some time, but yesterday's confirmation definitely put me at ease.

Natsunoyuutsu

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if any consider this as a sort of indication, but I wonder does anyone actually watch latest sales from PSN.
This year I stopped talking about them at all and all digital future will worse it in term of selections and varieties even more.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Just wondering, why keep the PS4 if you can do the same things with the PS5? Seems like a hassle to keep both when the PS5 can play the same games and more.

In my case I have a PS3 on the living room as a multimedia center (mostly Netflix and Plex lol) that my family uses. As soon as I get a PS5 my PS4 will probably take that spot and the PS3 will pass on to my sister's room probably.