• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
So Microsoft unveiled their plans for their flagship next gen platform, Scarlett (now called Xbox Series X), and it has signalled a seismic shift in how consoles are designed.

This thing is now literally a PC, complete with ITX tower case.

It also basically guarantees that it will blow the PS5's specs out of the water, simply because the giant form factor gives them so much more headroom with heat and wattage distribution. However, it will also likely come with an utterly eye watering pricetag that will make the Xbox One X look cheap by comparison...

Now, we already know that Microsoft are working on two variants of their next gen platform, Scarlett and Lockhart. Before, the idea seemed insane; the idea of splitting the userbase off the bat seemed nuts! But now? Looking at this monolith? Suddenly the idea starts to make sense...

The name Xbox Series X basically confirms that this is the plan as well; as the Lockhart system is almost certainly going to be called Xbox Series S (not only a continuation of the current brand, but also a pretty straight emulation of what Apple have done with the iPhone).

Now the strategy makes sense. Xbox Series X (Scarlett) will basically be the full fat no-compromises approach, complete with full ITX size case, while Xbox Series S (Lockhart) will retain the console form factor, but come with lesser specs and a much cheaper price. Series X will probably target 4K (or fake 8K) while Series S will target 1080p (or fake 4K).

$799.99 for Series X and $399.99 for Series S, with Game Pass being the big killer app.

It's a ballsy move, but I can definitely see it working. What do you guys reckon? Will Xbox Series S retain the console form factor? Or will Lockhart never see the light of day?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's very likely not a standard PC form factor, though. I'm guessing the internal layout has more in common with the "trashcan" Mac Pro.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
$800? Are you drunk?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you on this one, even though people will call us crazy.

I just don't see how they will deliver a meaningful improvement over X1X with the $499 price tag most people expect. It's not economically feasible, unless they eat a massive loss.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know the specs of the PS5
We don't know how the PS5 will look like
We don't know when they will release a Small version
We don't know the specs of the small version

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
They'll definitely want a consistent look across the product line. It'll likely be a shorter tower, that's all. And probably 349 and 499 for the two price points.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nope! Xbox is going to return to face plates but instead they will be selling LED infused boxes for your consoles. ........... maybe

(Holy shit people thinking $800.when Phil Spencer already said he wants to compete on price as well)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We don't know the specs of the PS5
We don't know how the PS5 will look like
We don't know when they will release a Small version
We don't know the specs of the small version
This, & Microsoft isn't crazy enough to charge $800 for the Series X. And if Lockhart is a thing, I doubt it'll be worth $400 in 2020 with the specs it's rumored to have.

$500 is probably the ceiling for both the Series X & the PS5.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
When phones routinely fly off the shelves for $1000+, perhaps there is a market for a $700+ console...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
You're damn crazy if you think MS (or anyone) is going to launch a 800$ console

With the concept of generations disappearing, cross-gen titles, the advent of streaming, and the acceptance of $1K+ phones, it's really not that farfetched. People are left with many options at differing price points. I don't know if we'll see $800, but I think $499 is way off the mark.

$200 X1S
$400 X1X
$700 X1SX

Want the X1SX experience without putting that money down upfront? Xbox Game Streaming.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's not an ITX case. It doesn't look like a PC anymore than a PS2 did when standing vertically.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Series S will be flat.
$349

Series X will be the tower.
$499

These will be different series and will need things to differentiate them...they won't look alike..but still have some same design cues. Yes, GamePass will have an impact.

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
1000$ phones fly off the shelves because people don't drop 1000$ at once for the phone.

Worth pointing out that Microsoft already offer a monthly installment payment plan for the Xbox One X that leads into the upcoming release of Xbox Series X.

This will be part of their pricing strategy going forward; that's not even speculation, it's already known and already exists today.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Worth pointing out that Microsoft already offer a monthly installment payment plan for the Xbox One X that leads into the upcoming release of Xbox Series X.

This will be part of their pricing strategy going forward; that's not even speculation, it's already known and already exists today.

Oh yeah I know. I guess they'll extand that program to more retailers and maybe make it available in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.