• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP listed a ton a features that are directly related to game software.

Pro doing more and asking people if they regret their decision are two different things.

Every feature OP mentions are tied to games, even the damned UHD player. So I don't understand how talking about games when talking about a console is irrelevant.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Not at all. The One X looks like great hardware. Better hardware than the Pro without question.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Origins. I'm sure ACO looks better on the One X, but before I dive into ACO I play a few matches of Street Fighter V. I might even play a couple matches of UC4 multiplayer, because I still do that a couple days a week. And when The Frozen Wilds goes live I'm going to be playing Horizon again alongside ACO. Only the Pro allows me to switch between these games at my whim.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To the OP's question, no, I don't regret buying a Pro at all. If the Xbox gets more compelling exclusives that aren't on PC, then I'll fork over the cash for a S.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the Pro made me regret having a PS4 more than the One X changed my mind about what the Pro is. Sony may be doing well sales wise, but I have no fucking clue what they are honestly trying to achieve with their systems. The One X does a great job of presenting itself as a gaming machine that brings improvements to your titles old and new. The Pro says, "hey, some of your games may run better. Maybe. Also, that system you bought two years ago was half baked. Enjoy." ....to say I've grown weary of Sony's value propositions would be an understatement.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I should probably go find the posts addressing this I made earlier but I'm too lazy. Basically at the time, I hesitantly bought Sony's offering, convinced and convincing myself that it was all I could reasonably expect at the time. However, Microsoft has a done a number of things that were entirely possible for Sony to do at the time and price the pro was offered at. System wide down sampling, AF, a quieter and smaller console, an UHD drive, 1440p support, VRR. Lots of little and large things they could have implemented but didn't. They did the bare minimum, are still doing the bare minimum, and will probably continue to because of how sure they are in their market lead against MS.

$100 more. One year later. You understand how that works, right?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even if it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking?

It's not about if you are disappointed in the PS4 Pro. It's not about which console has the games you like. It's about looking at both the Pro and the One X and looking at how the X gives big upgrades to all existing games, no patch required, whereas the pro doesn't, and asking if you feel that the Pro should have done more in that regard.

How are people not getting this? OP did a poor job of conveying his question through the title of the thread, but the main post clarifies it.

Talk about moving goal posts. The Xbox X also costs a $100 more and released a year later. Think about what you're asking here.

"Guys, forget that your PS4 Pro plays the games that you like best. Also, forget that it's $100 cheaper than the Xbox One X. Oh and also forget it came out a year later too. In-fact forget everything about the console except the specs alone and what those specs are capable of or allow. Ok, now do you regret your purchase? Because clearly, the Xbox One X is superior tech amirite?"

At the end of the day, it is stupid to ask whether people regret purchasing a PS4 Pro on the merits of tech alone in comparison to extra features a more expensive, newer console might offer over it. Of course, a newer, more powerful, more expensive console is going to offer more technically speaking. At the end of the day, many other factors go into such purchases, and obviously have to be considered when trying to determine any semblance or "regret".

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Is that really true? Your post history here so far and from the old forum would suggest you're not as "purely" in Sony's camp as you claim.

At the moment, for purposes of the situation, I am. My intent (earlier this year) is to get a PS4, right? So anything else is irrelevant. If you would like, in my post history I recently posted about my history with consoles and where I'm at. That post got me thinking about why I bought what, and actually lead to this thread.

I'm not denying I'm a huge Halo fan. I want everyone to know I'm a huge Viva Pinata fan. I like a lot of Microsoft's games. The Xbox 360 literally brought me in contact with Dark Souls, a series that is deeply important to me, my best friend, and my girlfriend. I have no problem admitting to liking Xbox. The reason I don't own a MS console right now is because they don't enough games I want. I am upset with them for this, and went with Sony precisely because they had games, but that is a different topic that has been done to death and I don't think making a topic on it myself would be value added.

Sony on the other hand is offering things like Bloodborne (<3 <3 <3), which I have played and love, Nier Automata, and several titles I am excited for like TLG, SoTC, Spiderman, Nioh, and God of War. Oh and I own Digimon, which I need to get to.

I am allowed to like both.

Right now, I am not in Microsoft's camp as far as console goes because the Xbox One and X are not compelling to me. The games I love Xbox for are not there. I am in Sony's camp right now because I want to play their games, and I want those games to be the best they can be.

So for the purposes of this thread, yes, I am purely in their camp, because I conclusively can only get one console right now, and after being done with the Xbox One, I made the decision to move to PS4.

And please don't remind me of my post history on the other thread lol

$100 more. One year later. You understand how that works, right?

Yes. I don't think it accounts for all of the shortcomings however.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't own a PS4 pro yet, I do wish it was as capable as an Xbox One X. Granted it will be less expensive this way, but I would have also liked to have the best versions of multiplatform games as a bonus. I would have paid the extra 100 or so for that.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't regret my Pro, but coming Tues it will be for exclusives only. I've already moved my library back to the Xbox ecosystem.

The X actually makes me sad about the original Xbox One. I actually enjoy the ecosystem and feature set on Xbox more than Playstation so its bit bitter sweet coming back thinking if only they had done this earlier.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even if it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking?

It's not about if you are disappointed in the PS4 Pro. It's not about which console has the games you like. It's about looking at both the Pro and the One X and looking at how the X gives big upgrades to all existing games, no patch required, whereas the pro doesn't, and asking if you feel that the Pro should have done more in that regard.

How are people not getting this? OP did a poor job of conveying his question through the title of the thread, but the main post clarifies it.

Regardless of how poorly worded the OP might appear to some, I find it hard to believe this many people are confused by its intent. It remains to be seen how the X will fare over the coming months, but as a day-one Pro adoptor I've certainly been underwhelmed. Yes, Horizon is about the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen...along with Ratchet and Clank...and RoTR and???...I'm honestly drawing blanks here. The Pro was undoubtedly rushed out the door, even without comparing it to the X. It's disingenuous to suggest otherwise. But yea, "games".

Buffer

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if every 360 game got the Oblivion and Fallout 3 treatment, then I would be pretty jelly.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I am not regretting it because I never decided to upgrade to a PRO. Never thought it was worth the extra money even with the exclusives it has and my launch PS4 worked great for those.

I am a OG launch Xbox one owner with over 200 games, Xbox Live and where my friends primarily play so upgrading to an X was a no brainer for me. I love the upgrade to so many games even without patches.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the moment, for purposes of the situation, I am. My intent (earlier this year) is to get a PS4, right? So anything else is irrelevant. If you would like, in my post history I recently posted about my history with consoles and where I'm at. That post got me thinking about why I bought what, and actually lead to this thread.

I'm not denying I'm a huge Halo fan. I want everyone to know I'm a huge Viva Pinata fan. I like a lot of Microsoft's games. The Xbox 360 literally brought me in contact with Dark Souls, a series that is deeply important to me, my best friend, and my girlfriend. I have no problem admitting to liking Xbox. The reason I don't own a MS console right now is because they don't enough games I want. I am upset with them for this, and went with Sony precisely because they had games, but that is a different topic that has been done to death and I don't think making a topic on it myself would be value added.

Sony on the other hand is offering things like Bloodborne (<3 <3 <3), which I have played and love, Nier Automata, and several titles I am excited for like TLG, SoTC, Spiderman, Nioh, and God of War. Oh and I own Digimon, which I need to get to.

I am allowed to like both.

Right now, I am not in Microsoft's camp as far as console goes because the Xbox One and X are not compelling to me. The games I love Xbox for are not there. I am in Sony's camp right now because I want to play their games, and I want those games to be the best they can be.

So for the purposes of this thread, yes, I am purely in their camp, because I conclusively can only get one console right now, and after being done with the Xbox One, I made the decision to move to PS4.

And please don't remind me of my post history on the other thread lol

jason statham likes viva pinata and posts <3? and is a gamer?

mind blown.

loved you in 80s video in silver paint and crotch wriggles.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That would seem to indicate that you don't care if games look and run better. If so, why is the One X appealing at all? It seems the only position you could be espousing is that $100 extra dollars is too much for some improvement, but $250 extra dollars is okay for bigger improvements.

I would hardly expect universal agreement to such a finely split distinction. The breakpoint seems very personal.

No, it just means that while I do, I don't think the improvement is enough to justify the price for me.

And no, I should have been clearer on this, I won't be buying an xbox one X. I just think that the X existing demonstrates that the Pro could have been more. I also do think that the extra $200 for vastly large improvements, including allowing BC could definitely be worth it to some.

And I don't expect universal agreement, but a significant amount of people agree with me.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can exclude answers that ignore my point. If someone can't do me the common courtesy or reading the thread, do I not have a right to get frustrated?
I dont see what the thread is supposed to accomplish.
Are you asking if the xbox has a better feature set compared to pro? The answer is an objective yes. Not even worth discussing.
If youre asking why people don't regret buying it regardless then games is a perfectly reasonable subject to bring into the discussion.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can those features help improve that horizon zero dawn dlc? If not then nah I can't play specs..

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see what the thread is supposed to accomplish.
Are you asking if the xbox has a better feature set compared to pro? The answer is an objective yes. Not even worth discussing.
If youre asking why people don't regret buying it regardless then games is a perfectly reasonable subject to bring into the discussion.

As I've said before, I already was invested in getting a PS4, so saying that they have games isn't really helpful, ya know? Like, I know they do. I just wish they had done a better job with their mid gen refresh, and am seeing if others agree. Some don't and some do.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
The Pro has shortcomings compare the newer X but it was expected to be honest...

I bought the Pro knowing that the X would surpass it so no regrets here. Sony's 2017 and 2018 line up of games are keeping me happy with the purchase.

Keeping my og Xbox one for BC and some exclusives here and there tho.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why, are Sony's and the other PS4 exclusives coming to Xbone X?

Does Xbone X play PSVR games?

This is so passive aggressive lmao

Anyway, I won't be getting the xbox one x, but that's primarily because I don't have a 4k TV and it's like $650 where I live. My xbox one standard is my multiplat console of choice and I use my PS4 for bloodborne, p5 and other ps exclusives. I don't really like gaming on my PC for whatever reason outside of a few games, even though it can handle most games at very high graphics settings.

It's kind of funny and sad how Microsoft showing commitment to the PC fans devalued their console by a fairly big margin, but it was to be expected. Love playing KI on PC.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The features you listed aren't nearly enough to make me regret being heavily invested in the PS ecosystem.

The Pro is more powerful and gets me the best possible visuals and/or performance on PS exclusive games (which are mainly the reason why I don't own an Xbox).

Smaller commodities/quality of life features are nice but are super easy to shrug off all things considered.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I've said before, I already was invested in getting a PS4, so saying that they have games isn't really helpful, ya know? Like, I know they do. I just wish they had done a better job with their mid gen refresh, and am seeing if others agree. Some don't and some do.

That still doesn't explain the exact kind of disagreement you wont ignore?
Its impossible to say ps4 has better specs or a better feature set so it just comes off like a thread youve made to be validated instead of genuinely caring about why people don't regret it.

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
I love the X with all its feature, but lack of great exclusives is what holding me back from buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.