• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
No regrets.. I like the PS4 Pro because it has the games I want to play, and Xbox doesn't. I wish it did have some of those features that the X has, but the Pro also came out a year earlier and for $100 less. Maybe we'll get lucky and Sony can update the firmware with more of these kind of features aside from the current boost mode. I woudln't count on it though.

No matter how powerful of a console Microsoft might make, it doesn't matter if they don't bring the games. Sony has great 1st party games and amazing support from Japanese developers, and that puts the PS4 Pro far ahead of any Xbox in my eyes.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It is simply asking "when you look at what the X does to existing games, does it make the PS4 Pro look half-assed?".

The question you're asking is different than the one in the title, which is...
With the amount of features present in the Xbox One X, is anybody regretting their PS4 Pro Purchase?

You can't really answer a question about buyers remorse without considering ALL the reasons why you made the purchase in the first place. If you're restricting people to answer the question solely based on features, then the only people who can answer the question are those who bought the PRO solely for its features and nothing else.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Well it's just 95% people simply replying "Xbox has no exclusives" when OP wasn't asking which game had the better library.

What you're basically saying is that it doesn't matter what the actual topic is about, as long as it is related to video games, coming in and going "Xbox has no exclusives" is a legitimate post and on topic.

Many People are contributing much more thoughtful posts and answers then "Xbox has no exclusives" cmon stop acting like this is some sort of witch hunt many people here are praising the One X for what it can do and saying that they still enjoy their purchase of the pro... this thread is over 8 pages now and I'd reckon not even close to 10% are people simply saying "Xbox has no exclusives"

With the amount of features present in the Xbox One X, is anybody regretting their PS4 Pro Purchase?

You can't really answer a question about buyers remorse without considering ALL the reasons why you made the purchase in the first place. If you're restricting people to answer the question solely based on features, then the only people who can answer the question are those who bought the PRO solely for its features and nothing else.

Exactly how can you expect people to answer if they regret something if they can't even give an answer that explains their entire reason for whether they regret it or not. If this thread was 95% of people simply answering No... we'd have these two saying well obviously people are just saying no with no real explanation or reason completely shitposting the thread.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have neither but if I do get one it'll probably still be a Pro. The only reason I haven't and may not buy it in the future is because of the lack of a UHD drive.

The thing about that is I could buy both a One S and a PS4 (possibly even a Pro) for the same price as the X.

Basically Sony screwed up big time by not including a 4k drive, and MS screwed up by not having nearly as many compelling games. Since games trump a 4k drive, I'll stick with PS4.

azulhaze

Oct 27, 2017
Yokohama, Kanagawa
I should have been an easy sell for the X, I used to buy every console because not only am I interested in the tech but I also want to be able to buy any game I want and not worry about if I have the right console. This generation is the first time I have been so unimpressed by a system's library that I never bought one of the consoles(families). If the Xbox One even had a handful of exclusives that I was personally interested in then I would be going to pick one up tomorrow no question. Now I just have a curiosity to see the tech in action but have no idea what game I would even buy for it day one that I don't already have. I keep looking for a reason to justify getting the X cuz the hardware highly interests me, but it is just not there. I can't believe MS failed this spectacularly with interesting exclusives. Oh well, more money stays in my pocket at least.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
How is people saying no they don
't feel that the PS4 Pro is half assed because they are wholly happy with what the system allows them to play wholly irrelevant... they are answering OP and giving their reasons why they don't feel like the PS4 Pro has some sort of crutch.

Oh my god dude. Are you doing this on purpose?

If I have a PS4.

And Sony wants to sell the PS4 Pro to me.

And MS comes out and gives a better offering to their audience

(which I am not. In this case I am solely purely in Sony's camp)

I am allowed.

To say.

"Hey Sony, see what MS is doing there? They're treating their fanbase pretty well. What you are offering me does not seem very compelling any more. I was doubtful of it at first, and now am cemented in the belief that you are not offering a compelling product. Having bought a PS4 Pro, I regret supporting something I feel is pretty half-assed in hindsight. MS has proven that it was half-assed. There's no reason you couldn't have included these things. I am upset."

Sony apologists: "But we have games"

Me: I know. I already have them, my dude. This isn't about that. At all. It's purely about the enhancements to those games and how another company enhance their games better, and how Sony could have supported them to similar degrees on some fronts at the same price point and launch date.

This thread is here to inquire whether I am alone. Some agree with me. Some do not. Most aren't reading the OP.

Try reading this post as well:

I think I get what you meant OP because I do lament that Xb1 X is the mid gen refresh I wanted Pro to be. They seem to have nailed all the important hardware and OS stuff but they have no interesting games so I can't get it, whereas I'm stuck with a pretty half-assed Pro just because of all the exclusives Sony gets. I want system wide downsampling and 16x AF. I wanted last gen BC (not a thing that started with the X obviously) but also for Pro to improve them. I wanted games to have more improvements than just a token 4k/hdr patch slapped on to it.

Basically one company has all the features and none of the games and the other has all the games and none of the features. It's pretty freakin frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
As a ps4pro owner, it is all about the games. The xbox one x is compelling hardware with a ton on benefits but lacks compelling software for me to buy.

If anything, sony will learn from this with the ps5 or microsoft will have some games I care about by then. Either way, I win.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I looked forward to 2019/2020 when someone makes a thread, "Now that PS5 is Tru4K/60fps and has more features do you regret buying the Xbox "insert name"?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
OP I can kind of understand what your intentions were but surely you saw this outcome a mile away right?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I was replying to a post that asked if anyone was regretting buying an xbox because playstation has more exclusives.

Case in point.

Replying to a topic with an answer to a question that's not being asked because you didn't read the OP is shit posting.

I disagree. If someone doesn't regret buying a Pro because it just so happens to be the best place to play the games they enjoy the most, I wouldn't consider that opinion/response a shitpost.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ps4 pro is so half assed it's pitiful. One x is a brand new generation of a jump, like a hail mary, but, it's too expensive for now.

Not sure if this is bait, but hey I'll bite!

The Xbox 360 launched in November 2005, 4 years after the original Xbox, for $399 (with a $299 option). The Xbox One X launched 4 years after the Xbox One, for $499.

One of these is a "brand new generation of a jump", one of them is not.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going back and forth on getting an Xbox One. I'm hoping for a stealth deal on Black Friday like the PS4 Pro had last year.

No, I don't regret purchasing the PS4 Pro. It's a great system that has played a bunch of third party games and first party titles.

I want it for God of War and Last of Us. I will finish Horizon and Uncharted Lost Legacy before the Holidays are over.

Games like Madden run without lag on PS4 Pro.

I will probably jump on Xbox One X as soon as I can get a good deal. If anything, that is the only thing I regret about my early Pro purchase.

I would also add that I am worried my same issue regarding the inconsistency in support for 4K, HDR, and other upgrades on PS4 Pro is carrying over to Xbox One X.

The promise from the internal documents on the PS4 Pro was universal support on all new titles and we have not seen this with PS4 Pro.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Oh my god dude. Are you doing this on purpose?

If I have a PS4.

And Sony wants to sell the PS4 Pro to me.

And MS comes out and gives a better offering to their audience

(which I am not. In this case I am solely purely in Sony's camp)

I am allowed.

To say.

"Hey Sony, see what MS is doing there? They're treating their fanbase pretty well. What you are offering me does not seem very compelling any more. I was doubtful of it at first, and now am cemented in the belief that you are not offering a compelling product. Having bought a PS4 Pro, I regret supporting something I feel is pretty half-assed in hindsight. MS has proven that it was half-assed. There's no reason you couldn't have included these things. I am upset."

Sony apologists: "But we have games"

Me: I know. I already have them, my dude. This isn't about that. At all. It's purely about the enhancements to those games and how another company enhance their games better, and how Sony could have supported them to similar degrees on some fronts at the same price point and launch date.

This thread is here to inquire whether I am alone. Some agree with me. Some do not. Most aren't reading the OP.

So I am fundamentally wrong for answering...

No Chettler I do not regret my purchase, while the Xbox One X has some amazing features and does some amazing things to games that are not getting a 4k patch and I do plan to get one... I am still wholly happy with my purchase of the Pro and how it plays it's software because it allows me to play games that I cannot on the Xbox One X and for me that was my basis for buying the system the ability to play new games to the best of their visual quality that the system allows. Even though I look forward to buying and owning an Xbox One X...

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Read the OP not just the title. He admitted that he stuffed the title up to not reflect what the actual topic is about, and what the OP actually asks.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

I mean...yeah? Because I'm talking about the features. I don't see how that's not a fair question. If it doesn't apply to you, then why are you in the thread?

I would have bought a PS4 regardless of whether I got a Pro. Games is irrelevant to the discussion and not helpful to me, the inquirer.

So I am fundamentally wrong for answering...

No Chettler I do not regret my purchase, while the Xbox One X has some amazing features and does some amazing things to games that are not getting a 4k patch and I do plan to get one... I am still wholly happy with my purchase of the Pro and how it plays it's software because it allows me to play games that I cannot on the Xbox One X and for me that was my basis for buying the system the ability to play new games to the best of their visual quality that the system allows. Even though I look forward to buying and owning an Xbox One X...

It is totally fair for you to say that you are happy with the Pro. But remember, I am a PS4 owner. I was going to get a Slim or Pro either way. So talking about games is kind of irrelevant to me.

If you think that buying a Pro for Uncharted 4 to play it in the best way possible was worth the extra $100, that is fair. Great! Like legitimately that is fine. I am saying, man, given when Microsoft is offering, it really belittles how much of an improvement the Pro makes and makes me question whether that "best version" is really all that much better. Like yeah, it looks better. But I already have a PC. And Uncharted 4 already looks and runs great on a PS4. In the end, I feel the X shows what a mid gen refresh could be, even if MS had done so back in the day, and makes me say, ya know, maybe that best version of Uncharted 4 wasn't all that worth it.

And hey, if we have to disagree here. That's fine. You've answered my question. I think, from what you've said, you were informed about the console and had your expectations in check. That's great. I am getting annoyed with the introduction of people saying "well I just buy it for games." Because so do I. That's why I bought a PS4. I am just saying, given the choice now, I would have gone for a Slim. Telling me about Sony's exclusive games is perplexing and not useful.

Last edited:

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is bait, but hey I'll bite!

The Xbox 360 launched in November 2005, 4 years after the original Xbox, for $399 (with a $299 option). The Xbox One X launched 4 years after the Xbox One, for $499.

One of these is a "brand new generation of a jump", one of them is not.

No bait just opinion.

And the 360 was a hail mary as well. If it didn't stick the Xbox brand was done.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Playstation has the games I want to play. However, I do wish it had a UHD player. That was a weak, cheap ass decision from Sony.

Last edited:

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Um...what? The developer doesn't have control to make a 1080p and 4K option? Why on earth would the dev be so concerned with letting the console downsample for them? It harms no one and only benefits the consumer.
No, it is not this clear-cut. Say the developer has made two modes, one at 4K30 and one at 1080p60. They might think "Supersampling looks nice, but 60fps is a bigger improvement in gameplay, so let's use only that mode for 1080p displays." Sony allows them to do this. Microsoft does not.

If your game can run at 4K, it can run at 4K, and downsampling on the system level means you don't even have to touch it. How on earth can you spin this as a bad thing?
It's not a bad thing. Supersampling is great! But the approaches can't be definitively ranked. You can certainly have a preference, and so for you Microsoft's approach is better. But it's not categorically better, because it's not a choice between supersampling and nothing at all.

I will never get additional AF or VRR to help with the frame pacing in blood borne. If PS4 Pro had the features Xbox One X does, I would. Isn't that kind of disappointing?
Actually, VRR would not help at all with pacing issues. But I get your point. Of course it's disappointing in the sense that it'd be great if everything was better. But it also wasn't sold to you as something to expect. No one offered you VRR or better AF across the board, so why blame anyone but yourself if you bought it anyway, knowing that?

I mean the bare minimum for a console that costs $100 more.
Except that Phil Spencer said that Pro is what One X would've been, if released at that time for that price. It was the best tech available in that context.

A better quality console and fan would have cost more yes. They still should have done it. ...The value proposition of the PS4 Pro for what it offers is lacking.
To you, sure. Plenty of people in the thread totally disagree. (Plenty do agree.) Your OP asked for people's subjective opinions, and people are giving them. You seem unduly surprised that they aren't all the same as yours.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really see how there could be any regret. When buying a PS4, I didn't compare tech specs to make my decision. I thought, "damn, I want to play these games". MS could release a 1.21 jiggaflop system with solid state storage and native 4K Dolby Vision for $250 and I still wouldn't regret anything PS4.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Most games will look almost identical on the pro for the average gamer. 2 teraflops isnt a huge leap.

The point is that Xbox has more or less zero exclusives, and if you want to play their games get a 1070 which is 6,5 teraflops, and will be $350 soon.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have no interest in the Xbox One even if games were running at 12k, because the games just aren't there that interest me. The games I care about are on PS4, PC and Switch at the moment, so I don't regret getting the best version of the PS4.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I disagree. If someone doesn't regret buying a Pro because it just so happens to be the best place to play the games they enjoy the most, I wouldn't consider that opinion/response a shitpost.
Even if it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking?

It's not about if you are disappointed in the PS4 Pro. It's not about which console has the games you like. It's about looking at both the Pro and the One X and looking at how the X gives big upgrades to all existing games, no patch required, whereas the pro doesn't, and asking if you feel that the Pro should have done more in that regard.

How are people not getting this? OP did a poor job of conveying his question through the title of the thread, but the main post clarifies it.

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
No regrets, I do not care about Halo or Gears and I have Both Forza games on PC running 4k. PS4 has way more exclusives.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
No bait just opinion.

And the 360 was a hail mary as well. If it didn't stick the Xbox brand was done.

I actually don't think Microsoft expects the One X to really change the tide of this generation.

Honestly, they might have been better off holding out for a real next gen launch but I'm sure they had discussions around this and came to the conclusion it wasn't viable for another couple of years (due to tech, industry support etc).

But, this shows how much expectations have changed. When the 360 was revealed people were mocking it as an "Xbox 1.5". Here we are now 12 years later with something that could almost literally be defined as an ACTUAL "Xbox 1.5" but thanks to some nice marketing and changed expectations people seem happy to think of it as practically a new generation.

I also think the Xbox One X has done a lot of things right... but it's no substitute for an actual generational upgrade. And for the price, frankly a truly next gen machine is what I expect. I know those expectations are unrealistic, but they are shaped by having gone through 6 home console generation changes.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
No, it is not this clear-cut. Say the developer has made two modes, one at 4K30 and one at 1080p60. They might think "Supersampling looks nice, but 60fps is a bigger improvement in gameplay, so let's use only that mode for 1080p displays." Sony allows them to do this. Microsoft does not.

It usually is not this simple, and often for 60 fps they have poor aliasing or some other issue. What if I would rather have the IQ. What if the "60 fps" option is one of those dumb "up to 60 fps" variable trashes? With the X I don't have to worry about this because I can just choose the better IQ. Why allow devs to prevent me from having that option. It harms no one, and only servers to benefit me. This is purely a plus for Microsoft.

It's not a bad thing. Supersampling is great! But the approaches can't be definitively ranked. You can certainly have a preference, and so for you Microsoft's approach is better. But it's not categorically better, because it's not a choice between supersampling and nothing at all.

What is it a choice between then? How is the option to allow downsampling from 4K not objectively better? What is it a choice between then?

Actually, VRR would not help at all with pacing issues. But I get your point. Of course it's disappointing in the sense that it'd be great if everything was better. But it also wasn't sold to you as something to expect. No one offered you VRR or better AF across the board, so why blame anyone but yourself if you bought it anyway, knowing that?

I don't. Part of this is buyer's remorse. I felt that it was a weak sell before, but ultimately didn't see a choice. I figured Microsoft would be purely more expensive, with more true 4K and the same features. Retroactively, I can see that Sony could have done a lot more. I wish they had.

Sure that's my fault technically. Doesn't make me wish any less that Sony didn't make a better offering.

Except that Phil Spencer said that Pro is what One X would've been, if released at that time for that price. It was the best tech available in that context.

I mean he was pretty talking in terms of power. I think it's a bit silly to act as if Microsoft wouldn't have gone hard as they have been in the past couple years at producing something with better features. Downsampling and a silent console are two big things I'm positive would have been there since they are more about philosophy than purely what is feasible with tech during the day.

To you, sure. Plenty of people in the thread totally disagree. (Plenty do agree.) Your OP asked for people's subjective opinions, and people are giving them. You seem unduly surprised that they aren't all the same as yours.

There have been a number of people in this thread who have expressed that the features I listed in the OP are not important enough for them to care, and that overall they got their money's worth. I don't mind those kinds of posts. They answer the question. I'm taking issue with people claiming "games games games" when the topic is about features. I would have gotten a PS4 regardless of whether I got a Pro, so that isn't relevant to me.

I have already stated multiple times I did a poor job with the title and that I deserve a lot of this.

Read the OP not just the title. He admitted that he stuffed the title up to not reflect what the actual topic is about, and what the OP actually asks.

Posts like this are reassuring. Thanks.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Even if it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking?

It's not about if you are disappointed in the PS4 Pro. It's not about which console has the games you like. It's about looking at both the Pro and the One X and looking at how the X gives big upgrades to all existing games, no patch required, whereas the pro doesn't, and asking if you feel that the Pro should have done more in that regard.

How are people not getting this? OP did a poor job of conveying his question through the title of the thread, but the main post clarifies it.

OP listed a ton a features that are directly related to game software.

Pro doing more and asking people if they regret their decision are two different things.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I am just saying, given the choice now, I would have gone for a Slim.
That would seem to indicate that you don't care if games look and run better. If so, why is the One X appealing at all? It seems the only position you could be espousing is that $100 extra dollars is too much for some improvement, but $250 extra dollars is okay for bigger improvements.

I would hardly expect universal agreement to such a finely split distinction. The breakpoint seems very personal.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that the thing it advertises it barely did. Hardly anything is actually 4K and most titles don't even use checkerboard, settling for something like 1440p. Which is nice, but worth an extra $100?

And this is silly:

I answered this in this OP. There is no reason the Pro shouldn't have downsampling at the system level. There is no reason they couldn't try to improve quality of vanilla games more. Originally they planned to do nothing with vanilla titles other than...load times. It's just so anemic. The S proved that you could include a UHD player at a very low price. Yeah it did what was advertised, and what that is is...pretty poor. The problem is I was convinced that was acceptable. The X shows they could have done so so much more, and yes for the same price. No downsampling is just silly.

When did that happen? At the time of the S's release I was under the impression that they were very expensive. Sony's own offering was a staggering $400.

There were two times it went on sale, first time I missed it and second I was able to snag one.
I think it ended up being alot of people's first.
DO not get me wrong, I was so so so heated at Sony for not putting a drive in the PRO I swore off ever buying one but I gave in down the line.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
No regret whatsoever. 4k HDR is incredible, my eyes can't get enough of Gran Turismo and Horizons. Netflix 4k content is great too. I'm watching Planet Earth 2 on Netflix and yeah the best buy demo does look better with their 4k discs, but it's not that much better. Even if the PS4 Pro did play 4k discs, I'd still watch it on Netflix to avoid fooling around with discs.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hells no, have you seen all the exclusives on PS4? I love Sony exclusives and pro makes those games better.

I'm getting a Xbox one X but it's gonna be my third party game machine, read dead, assassins creed, cod all those are gonna be purchased for Xbox from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.