• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
The majority are drive by posting based on the title. I can't change it despite the mistake. And it's not entirely on me. It's your job as a commenter to actually read the content your commenting on. That's simple forum etiquette and I'm pretty sure it's stickied somewhere. It shouldn't need to be if not however.

If all of our replies are off topic feel free to report, there's nothing off topic with people going into detail with why they do not regret their purchase regardless of features which is what you want people to limit the discussion too... it's really purely asinine to not expect the overall tone of the thread and replies to be about games and software when it's about game consoles. I mean cmon, you called me being stubborn but you're the only one being truly obtuse and trying to limit what can be discussed.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not regret getting a PS4 Pro and I'll assume that most on here haven't either, but in terms of the FEATURE SET? I agree with you entirely, the Pro does feel like a half assed piece of kit.

The points you've mentioned (below) are all valid.
  • No support for 1440p
  • Boost mode breaks a small amount of games
  • No support for AF at a system level
  • No down sampling across all titles that output at a higher res.
But we just have to take a look at last gen and remember that Sony isn't a software company (not making an excuse for them) It's not their forte and never has been. What MS has done besides giving us a more powerful option, is making it easier for developers and making sure the console, at a system level give gamers options to play how they want. No 4K tv? No problem, supersampling will be a thing across ALL games that support higher resolutions.

If you notice, many things are done at system level. Remember last gen? Sony never, ever gave us cross-game invites to PS3 owners, let alone cross-game chat. It devs wanted those features they had to build them in themselves per game. It wasn't "free". It wasn't built into the OS.

So no. I don't regret my PS4 Pro purchase, I'm looking forward to many Sony exclusives that will show off and showcase the console just like Sony did back last gen with PS3.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
If I wasn't so deep into PSN, and my only interest were multiplats I would get a One X in a heartbeat.

Problem is, I love Japanese games, I love trophies (185 Platinums and counting!), and I've got thousands of dollars tied up in PSN already. While I do like graphics and a lot of other features Microsoft is gunning for, I'm more than content with the Pro. I couldn't simply upend all of this.

Really the only thing what's gonna get me off Sony at this point is if somehow PS5 isn't backwards compatible. In that case it's back to PC gaming for me. (Because PC still manages to pick up more JP games than Xbox. Even if they're late.)

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all.

The PS4Pro personally is a much better investment for me. I like the Sony exclusives, and I like the Japanese support. The graphical upgrades while noticeable just aren't enough for me to jump into a XboxOneX right now.

I do enjoy Gears and Halo and Forza Horizon. But that's not enough for me considering I have a PC I can play them all on. I would love Gears 4 and Horizon 3 at 4K/30 but I can do it at 1440p/30 locked on my pc.

It's a great looking console though, and who knows maybe I will get one down the road as my secondary console.

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado USA
Absolutely not. The Pro is the best way to play Sony exclusives and is/was the best way to play 3rd party games. The X will be the best way to play Microsoft exclusives and most likely the best way to play 3rd party games until the next-gen console from Sony. I'll own both so I have zero regrets.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I wouldn't say overlook as much as just plain ignore in order to fit some kind of agenda... because you know these consoles are something to fight and argue over more so then enjoy.

You might be right, it certainly seems that way with some.

My issue is people coming in to a topic asking "considering what the xbox one x does to existing games, is the ps4 pro and what it does to existing games disappointing?" and just carrying on about exclusive games and xbox's lack of games. It's got nothing to do with the topic, it's blatant shitpost trolling. I mean we're hundreds of posts in and people are still posting "No the xbox has no exclusive games"! The OP wasn't asking if you're buying an Xbox One X or why you're not, so people posting things like that are either not reading the OP and/or shitposting.

If talking about exclusives is somehow shit posting, what were you doing on page 7?

None of the exclusive PS4 games have appealed to me, whereas Forza and Gears are 2 of my favourite series of games of all time. If I had a PS4 I'd be regretting it, and I couldn't be happier with my XB1.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro owner here, and man, it sucks that Sony isn't going the distance here, and hasn't been for a lot of other things. Being the industry leader has its downsides, I suppose. I can only hope that they get this kind of stuff right with the PS5.

Anyway, bravo to Microsoft for trying hard with this console, feature wise. I know there are plenty of older third party games I'd love to play with better AA. And even 360 games? That's awesome, compounded on an awesome feature that Sony also neglected. Ironic after that whole "backwards compatibility is backwards thinking" nonsense from Don Mattrick years ago. Now we've got Sony people saying tripe like "Why would anybody play this?"

Is it really so hard to be just a little bit self aware?
Be careful with your post - you are making too much sense.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
You can fault people for saying this because that's not what the topic is about. The topic is about how the PS4 Pro basically does nothing to enhance old games, whereas the X makes massive changes to them, and after seeing that does it make you disappointed in the Pro from that point of view.

It's got nothing to do with what games are available on the system. Absolutely nothing.

The thread is asking do you regret your purchase of the Pro, now that the Xbox One X is out with it's feature set... why would games not be a huge factor in whether or not someone regrets their purchase.... how can you expect people to completely block off huge reasons of why they may have bought and enjoyed a Pro to specifically try to find fault with just one functionality of the Pro... I mean how could people from a year in the past know that we would've even been at this point with the Xbox One X? That would require time travel...

Do you really think people will be like... well I don't really like the games on the Xbox One X but man it's features make it a must have!

And to note I'll have an Xbox One X in April the wife already knows it'll be her Anniversary gift to me haha.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
I'll throw in with the "could have been framed better" camp; most seem to be treating the topic as a simple proxy for 'PS vs. Xbox'

It might have been more interesting if you had considered base PS4 ownership as a given, and so aimed the premise squarely at upgraders. Then the question would become a matter of which one values more: $100, Pro-level enhancements on supported PS4 exclusives and supported multiplats + an extra year of said enhancements, boost mode, and whatever other benefits the Pro offers vs. access to the Xbox One exclusive library (however immaterial some think that is), UHD Blu-ray, XB1X-level enhancements on multiplats and exclusives, BC, 16AF, (more consistent than Pro?) downsampling, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. I've owned the Xbox One twice now and eventually sold it both times. I'm not sure what made me get it again...maybe the Master Chief Collection? Either way, what drove me away both times wasn't the lack of power. It was kind of because of the games, but mostly because of the UI. I just really can't stand it. Hopefully it is much better at this point.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us does downsample again, it was patched back in. But when it didn't, you got a better framerate instead. The same is true of Last Guardian, and almost all the other games without downsampling. This is because Sony allowed developers to force particular modes for particular displays, or leave it up to the user. Microsoft requires that it be left up to the user, and the developer doesn't have control.

Um...what? The developer doesn't have control to make a 1080p and 4K option? Why on earth would the dev be so concerned with letting the console downsample for them? It harms no one and only benefits the consumer.

The same is true of One X's library as well: the great majority will never have official support. While we can't know for sure yet, I'd be very willing to bet some games will release without support in the future, too.

Which is why support for non-updated games is important and can't be ignored.

Correct. The same is true of One X.

Again, granted in the OP.

Because Sony permits developers to decide whether to allow mode switching based on the display used. Microsoft requires developers to allow it.

Yes, and Microsoft is better in this regard. If your game can run at 4K, it can run at 4K, and downsampling on the system level means you don't even have to touch it. How on earth can you spin this as a bad thing?

Well, Xbox One has hundreds fewer games than PS4 overall, that probably contributes. Of course, that's irrelevant if you just don't care for Sony's exclusives, so I agree that it's tangential to the conversation.

Again, I am talking about the things Xbox chose to do. The Xbox not having games is a different conversation. I'm talking about the handling of these added features. I'm saying I wish the PS4 had these features precisely because I like how many games the PS4 has. I will never get additional AF or VRR to help with the frame pacing in blood borne. If PS4 Pro had the features Xbox One X does, I would. Isn't that kind of disappointing?

No, the bare minimum would've been to release the PS4 slim and that's it.

I mean the bare minimum for a console that costs $100 more. If the slim costed $100 more....hoo boy...

The stuff you name are certainly points in Microsoft's favor, but Sony couldn't have just added them all for free. Most of these would've been increased hardware cost, and even more than the $100 premium Microsoft is asking because it was a year earlier. The altered downsampling philosophy and 1440p output support are the only near-free improvements.

A better quality console and fan would have cost more yes. They still should have done it. I also think the near-free improvements should have been there. Of course they didn't do them because of money. But this is a monetary exchange. I am saying that the value Sony offers does not justify the price hike set for it's console for me as the consumer, and that they should have invested more into it. Yes that would require more money. Of course these things take effort. So did making the console. I'm saying while they were at it, they should have done more. What they did was barely acceptable, and Microsoft has shown them up.

The value proposition of the PS4 Pro for what it offers is lacking.[/QUOTE]

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If talking about exclusives is somehow shit posting then what were you doing on page 7?

I was replying to a post that asked if anyone was regretting buying an xbox because playstation has more exclusives.

Replying to a topic with an answer to a question that's not being asked because you didn't read the OP is shit posting, and not reading the OP is against forum etiquette.

The thread is asking do you regret your purchase of the Pro, now that the Xbox One X is out with it's feature set... why would games not be a huge factor in whether or not someone regrets their purchase.... how can you expect people to completely block off huge reasons of why they may have bought and enjoyed a Pro to specifically try to find fault with just one functionality of the Pro... I mean how could people from a year in the past know that we would've even been at this point with the Xbox One X? That would require time travel...

Do you really think people will be like... well I don't really like the games on the Xbox One X but man it's features make it a must have!

And to note I'll have an Xbox One X in April the wife already knows it'll be her Anniversary gift to me haha.

OP has specified and edited the original post to say that the topic is really about "does the xbox one x and it's features/upgrades to existing games make the PS4 Pro look half-assed?"

Anyone answering that with "no because ps4 has more exclusives" is 100% missing the point.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
It would only make people regret it if Xbox One X third party games all turned to 60fps...

But it isn't. Same crappy Jaguar CPU same slideshow 30fps for shame pixels ain't shit

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about the games. Look at the Switch. Look at the additional downloads thing. Look at its sales.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Ps4 pro is so half assed it's pitiful. One x is a brand new generation of a jump, like a hail mary, but, it's too expensive for now.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
I was replying to a post that asked if anyone was regretting buying an xbox because playstation has more exclusives.

Replying to a topic with an answer to a question that's not being asked because you didn't read the OP is shit posting.

A discussion about game consoles regardless of what OP tries to limit the discussion too will more then likely always gravitate to games... for fucks sake if OP were to make a thread saying do you prefer the Xbox One X over PS4 Pro because it has Skype people would still say no it's not really about Skype it's about the game...

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll have both this week. I still feel more attached to Sony's first- and second-party offerings, as well as their third-party publishing deals like Bloodborne.

It would be absolutely lovely if PS4 Pro got a lot of the same features of the X, and despite my feeling like the Pro hasn't lived entirely up to all of my expectations over its first year, I don't regret purchasing one at all. The times that it has come through, it has come through in spades.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As far as I know 360 games don't show in the most played list anyway, so that's not exactly a good indicator.

Do you have stats to show that "most don't" use it? Last time people on the old site tried that MS came out and proved them wrong, and the original article admitted that they stuffed up their stats and retracted their statement.

Then why does Black Ops 2 shows?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we buy consoles for games. It's all about content in the end. If I were to pick between a 4K UHD player and a game I want to play, guess what I'll pick?

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA

Replying to a topic with an answer to a question that's not being asked because you didn't read the OP is shit posting, and not reading the OP is against forum etiquette.

OP has specified and edited the original post to say that the topic is really about "does the xbox one x and it's features/upgrades to existing games make the PS4 Pro look half-assed?"

Anyone answering that with "no because ps4 has more exclusives" is 100% missing the point.

No it doesn't because that's still peoples reasons and justifications for spending the money on said consoles over another if that's their reasoning.

People are simply answering and expanding on why, obviously the ability the One X has isn't enough to deter people because they obviously make their decisions based on the games these consoles can play more so then tech.. there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Should this thread just be 95% of the people simply replying No?

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I claim to have no knowledge on this subject but whatever you said, you actually don't think it occurred to anyone at sony?

Probably did. Probably didn't think it was worth the effort. Heck, we could have said the same thing about boost mode. They clearly thought about it at launch, but didn't think it was worth having and wanted to rush the console out before it was ready. This conveniently gives them the narrative of "constant support" of the platform since they can add it later. Win win.

Sony obviously also considered making PS2 games BC, because they tried. They also charged for it, and then hardly supported the platform at all.

You can't ask people an open question and then exclude answers than undermine your point.

I can exclude answers that ignore my point. If someone can't do me the common courtesy or reading the thread, do I not have a right to get frustrated?

Yeah the pro is lacking in features compared to the x. No I couldn't care less about it supporting different resolutions and framerates or af or whatever (which is for non patched games afaik) . I have a standard hdr 4k tv and ill be sticking to it until the ps5 is out. As such i won't be seeing any dramatic difference (imo ofc)

The thread could have been titled to show you simply dont like the pro instead of acting like youre legitimately asking people. The op is painful to read

It could have. You're right. I was seeing if other people felt the same way. Apparently some do. Some don't. Most aren't reading the OP. Whatev.

And yeah, you're entitled to like it just fine! I am just upset, and seeing if anyone else is. It seems some are not content to disagree, but to tell me I'm wrong and silly for being disappointed. That's confusing because I think I have a point personally lol.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think the Pro is particularly half assed? XB1X came out a year later and a hundred bucks more, of course it's going to be more powerful. Or I'd hope so.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OP, what exactly do you want this thread to accomplish? You asked a question, people gave their answers. Then you go and argue with those whose opinions differ from yours. We get it, we read your post. You are disappointed in Sony as a company, but not everyone feels the same way. It's ok if people like their PRO and enjoy what it offers, even if it doesn't have all the features the X has. It's a waste of your time to try to convince every PRO owner that they wasted their money.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A discussion about game consoles regardless of what OP tries to limit the discussion too will more then likely always gravitate to games... for fucks sake if OP were to make a thread saying do you prefer the Xbox One X over PS4 Pro because it has Skype people would still say no it's not really about Skype it's about the game...
And that would be fine, people would say why they prefer the PS4 and it would be on topic. This topic, however, is not about what games each console has in any way whatsoever, nor what console you prefer because of any reasons at all.

It is simply asking "when you look at what the X does to existing games, does it make the PS4 Pro look half-assed?". Coming in saying that you prefer PS4s exclusives doesn't answer that question in any way. It is wholly irrelevant.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The Xbox 1X features you listed are impressive and yes, the PS4 Pro could have been much benter. I think Sony will be sure the next system died have better features and improvements after seeing what Microsoft has accomplished.

However, I have to say that the PS4 just has most all the games I love. I have an Xbone and own a couple dozen games but the only 1st party ones i love are Ori and Forza Horizon 3. I feel like we have this amazing thing from Microsoft and a severe lack of games I care about. I just want a system like the X, with the 3rd and 1st party support the PS4 has. But I do love my pro for what it is - an upgraded PS4 I just wish it had 4K blu-ray player, 16x AF, lots of BC games that are also upgraded etc. Hopefully Sony or Microsoft end up giving is the best of both these worlds on 1 console

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying while they were at it, they should have done more. What they did was barely acceptable, and Microsoft has shown them up.

I dunno about this. As a long time Xbox fan, I think what Microsoft's doing is less than barely acceptable. That is, focusing so much on an expensive piece of premium hardware most Xbox fans won't buy that's marginally better and $100 more expensive than the Pro, although there will be a better way to play every single game on the system, while neglecting to provide a decent lineup of even console exclusives for most of their user base who won't buy the X. I'm very happy with the approach Sony is taking, including with the Pro. But we'll see which one pays off more! I have a feeling that this isn't really going to change things for Microsoft.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
And that would be fine, people would say why they prefer the PS4 and it would be on topic. This topic, however, is not about what games each console has in any way whatsoever, nor what console you prefer because of any reasons at all.

It is simply asking "when you look at what the X does to existing games, does it make the PS4 Pro look half-assed?". Coming in saying that you prefer PS4s exclusives doesn't answer that question in any way. It is wholly irrelevant.

How is people saying no they don't feel that the PS4 Pro is half assed because they are wholly happy with what the system allows them to play wholly irrelevant... they are answering OP and giving their reasons why they don't feel like the PS4 Pro has some sort of crutch.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I'm not regretting the pro purchase as I don't plan on owning too many consoles and most the games I like are on that platform. Good on MS for having great specs for the new console though since power is what some are into and will enjoy the benefits.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 pro is so half assed it's pitiful. One x is a brand new generation of a jump, like a hail mary, but, it's too expensive for now.
LOL, this thread is delivering. Embarassing stuff here. Games don't matter, MS showed sony up..by releasing a console that will sell to a niche set of xbox users, , meanwhile sony studios are in full force pushing the tech in the Pro, meanwhile at MS.........yeah half assed. Sony's strat is far smarter, will bear more fruit. The pro is great kit for 399 and it's a year old....MS would kill to be in sonys position.

Onex is about the same diff as Xbox and PS4, it;'s not remotely a Generation jump, they are usually a large 1- X more powerful jump. People are really pushing this narrative, it's funny.

Exactly haha, I agree with you whole heartedly! I was being sarcastic I don't tend to be usually I should've put a /S
Haha All good bro. I mean OP is resorting to trying to limit what people really buy consoles for to push a silly narrative.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I get what you meant OP because I do lament that Xb1 X is the mid gen refresh I wanted Pro to be. They seem to have nailed all the important hardware and OS stuff but they have no interesting games so I can't get it, whereas I'm stuck with a pretty half-assed Pro just because of all the exclusives Sony gets. I want system wide downsampling and 16x AF. I wanted last gen BC (not a thing that started with the X obviously) but also for Pro to improve them. I wanted games to have more improvements than just a token 4k/hdr patch slapped on to it.

Basically one company has all the features and none of the games and the other has all the games and none of the features. It's pretty freakin frustrating.

Ding, ding, ding.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If all of our replies are off topic feel free to report, there's nothing off topic with people going into detail with why they do not regret their purchase regardless of features which is what you want people to limit the discussion too... it's really purely asinine to not expect the overall tone of the thread and replies to be about games and software when it's about game consoles. I mean cmon, you called me being stubborn but you're the only one being truly obtuse and trying to limit what can be discussed.

There are a lot of posts I have not argued with because they expressed the perfectly fair viewpoint that they felt overall they got what they payed for. That is fair. I haven't argued with them. You are conflating them with people who are going "lol I just care about games man" as if that's a cogent argument.

And no, not every thread about a games console has to be about games. That is ridiculous. "It has game in the name though!" Are you...daft? If I make a thread about the supply of RAM causing the Nintendo Switch to be in short supply or whatever, bringing up games in that instance is asinine. I know that's not a parallel situation, but you can't say that any thread about a game console means discussion about games is always relevant.

I'm not restricting what can be discussed. I'm asking people actually be on topic.

"I wish Chevys would start having the quality that Ford has surged in recently"

"Lol who would get a Ford?"

It derails the conversation. I'm talking about wanting the PS4 Pro to be better than it is. I feel that's a pretty fair thing for me to want. Actively trying to divert the conversation away from that takes it away from the topic I was presenting. I want Sony's consoles to be better, not ignore it as "well it has the games I like so lol stfu Chettlar."

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I don't and do not plan to buy a X1X. But had it come out last year around same time as the Pro, I would have chosen the X1X.

Deleted member 11002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care because I have a PC for when I want to push games with advanced hardware.

PS4 has loads of exclusives and Xbox one has next to none. That's what matters to me in a console more than specs

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Should this thread just be 95% of the people simply replying No?
Well it's just 95% people simply replying "Xbox has no exclusives" when OP wasn't asking which game had the better library.

What you're basically saying is that it doesn't matter what the actual topic is about, as long as it is related to video games, coming in and going "Xbox has no exclusives" is a legitimate post and on topic.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This User Was Warned For: Console Wars
I don't really care because I have a PC. PS4 has loads of exclusives and Xbox one has next to none. That's what matters to me
How can you bear all these great exclusives, Ms got Os updates man, that's were it's at /s/

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
There are a lot of posts I have not argued with because they expressed the perfectly fair viewpoint that they felt overall they got what they payed for. That is fair. I haven't argued with them. You are conflating them with people who are going "lol I just care about games man" as if that's a cogent argument.

And no, not every thread about a games console has to be about games. That is ridiculous. "It has game in the name though!" Are you...daft? If I make a thread about the supply of RAM causing the Nintendo Switch to be in short supply or whatever, bringing up games in that instance is asinine. I know that's not a parallel situation, but you can't say that any thread about a game console means discussion about games is always relevant.

I'm not restricting what can be discussed. I'm asking people actually be on topic.

"I wish Chevys would start having the quality that Ford has surged in recently"

"Lol who would get a Ford?"

It derails the conversation. I'm talking about wanting the PS4 Pro to be better than it is. I feel that's a pretty fair thing for me to want. Actively trying to divert the conversation away from that takes it away from the topic I was presenting. I want Sony's consoles to be better, not ignore it as "well it has the games I like so lol stfu Chettlar."

Please don't be such a drama queen no one is saying STFU, a majority of people don't share your views of the Pro and some do it's as simple as that and you're making a much bigger thing claiming people are posting off topic but really they just are not aligning with what you wanted out of this thread.

The Xbox One X is an amazing piece of tech that will hopefully do great things for the Xbox brand and hopefully bring some life back into it for people that may have been disenfranchised with what they've been offering since, but that doesn't mean people will all of a sudden expect more of the pro or that it's half assed...

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
No regrets.
FFXV looks gorgeous on a 4K HDR TV and I've been playing it like that since day one.

If I could reverse the question I would say I would feel frustrated if I had to pay $500 for any console.

I got my pro for $345 2 weeks after it came out and I've been enjoying 4k content in Netflix and amazon just fine.

Edit: And I got $225 amazon credit for my vanilla ps4 :D

So it's all good until PS5 I suppose.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's time to move away from the discussion when someone resorts to accusing people of things just because they disagree with you. It's OK OP, it is ok to be in the minority opinion. Just don't try to make it sound like it's the only one that counts.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has a more robust library and the Pro is worth the price(after trading in my old loud ass launch ps4) of admission for the gains in image quality and performance over the OG ps4. There are a healthy amount of upcoming 1st party games coming out, and they are all made completely with the Pro in mind. I wouldn't dare play TLOU part 2 on a standard ps4 :P I will say that MS has made a better mid gen console overall Imo, but the PS4 Pro is awesome and serves its purpose for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.