• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Blaming the Academy because now Adam Sandler is going to go back to paid vacation comedies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Is J-Lo considered not white? I totally agree she should've been nominated, though.

Awkwafina definitely should've had a nod, too.
J-Lo without spray tan has a very pale complexion. (as seen in the Janet Jackson video)

giphy.gif

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
I think Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and The Irishman are overrated. Throw in Marriage story too. Last Black Man in San Francisco was a significantly better movie than Joker and OUTH. These nominations are a joke.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How is it the Oscars fault that movies like Joker and The Irishman are so amazing that they deserve an award?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you guys expect the Oscars to turn into the Cannes. The Farewell just had a Taiwan release, right? I wonder if it can compete for the Golden Horse.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They should just make it so every voter has to nominate 1 person from every demographic.
Like, actor should be..One white guy, one black guy, one Latin guy, one Asian guy etc.
Then move onto to sexual orientation next.
Might be like 25 nominees per category but at least it allows for diveristy.

Repeat this for each category.

What? No. That's a terrible idea.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not really, it will just mean the foreign films don't get recognized at all. Do you really think Pain and Glory, Les Miserables, Honey Land etc had more viewers or voters than the likes of 1917 or Joker?

Exactly. Roma and Parasite broke through but most foreign films would get ignored in that scenario.

Masseyfects

Nov 7, 2017
A bit off topic, but why is Uncut Gems getting snubbed by all the awards shows, including Golden Globes and Oscars?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even get why Parasite is there in so many categories. Why Portrait of the lady on fire isn't nominated then? Why other foreign movies are just in the Foreign Picture category? Like... It's just stupid. And I love Parasite - it's just the whole method of handling foreign movies is so weird...
France didn't put forward Portrait of a Lady on Fire as their submission, and I don't think it even opens here until February actually.

The foreign film category is the only way 99% of foreign films will ever get Oscar recognition. If it didn't exist, there would hardly be any nominations, let alone wins, for non-English-language movies. The Academy isn't a film critics association made up of worldly cineastes; it's largely older white guys who mainly consume Hollywood films and usually vote for their friends.

Lulu Wang got robbed.
was really surprised it didn't get at least a best adapted screenplay nod.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Marriage Story isn't a story about Hollywood...

(it's more about NY theater than Hollywood I think, but it's also not really about either of these things!)

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy when certain people and films get recognition at the Oscars because of the extra media attention and promotion for their films, but the Oscars are a joke otherwise.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah... expected that Queen & Slim got nothing.

Song Chango-ho was amazing in Parasite too.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That's who's voting. Old white guys.

Same reason why Florida Project got snubbed too.

Look at A24 and all the great films they put out that get next to no attention because they can't afford to put up an Oscar campaign like the other studios.

Shit is dumb.

Spirit awards are way more representative of current society. Watch that instead.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and The Irishman are overrated. Throw in Marriage story too.

I agree completely. I just saw all of these over the past 2 weeks and I was like "wtf was all the hype about?" They are good but not great by any means. Some of the performances were great though. Phoenix, Pesci and Pacino deserve recognition. I just loved Pesci's performance in particular.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
France nominated Les Miserable, instead of Portrait. And the Academy isn't so hot on foreign movies, so breaking out of that category without any kind of buzz is hard. And for a foreign movie, that wasn't nominated by its own country in the foreign category, like Portrait, it is even harder to get any attention.

This is what happened with The Handmaiden. A film like that would have swept with the technical noms even more so than Parasite, but it's campaing was cut short once South Korea decided to not send it.
I kinda find that category weird too. It's like, "It's not the best film of the year, but it is the best international film." I don't understand the need for seperation.

But international film is the best category at the Oscars. If they removed it we would lose visibility for a lot of foreing films every year. This category is good for these films, not bad. The Oscars have always been the Hollywood awards, where they sometimes make some exceptions. I don't think anyone believes these are the best movies all the year from all around the world (I know sometimes they are not even the best in the US).

Oct 29, 2017
The Color Purple was a little too black women empowering for the oscars

Oprah should have gotten one for The Color Purple and The Women of Brewster place. I know it was a tv miniseries but Women of Brewster place was that good
You know, I have to agree 200 percent! The women of Brewster Place was amazing. But since were going about snubs, Eddie Murphy was robbed for Coming To America and Dolemite now.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I would love to say that the Oscars are irrelevant, but I would only say that's only starting to become the case as far as viewership is concerned. They're still used a barometer for actors and filmmaker's careers.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really post threads, but seriously what the hell is up with that? Especially considering the movies that came out last year, such as Dolemite Is My Name.

The Academy just can't handle Dolemite.
Quite likely that Dolemite lost out because of the Irishman, the academy are probably deathly afraid of Netflix taking over.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
france didn't submit the movie

Btw, even if "Portrait..." is the better film, do not sleep on "Les Miserables", the one France actually submitted and got nominated. It is a powerfull film about police and immigrant ghettos in Paris. Think "The Wire" but in french :p

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, even if "Portrait..." is the better film, do not sleep on "Les Miserables", the one France actually submitted and got nominated. It is a powerfull film about police and immigrant ghettos in Paris. Think "The Wire" but in french :p
Havent seen either but I have heard both are fantastic

May 24, 2019
Les Miserables doesn't have a chance cause most voters are just gonna suppose it's the same ol' Les Miz adaptation and never bother cracking open their screeners.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, any reason why they didn't?

Some random person on the internet (could have even been this forum) had the ideas that Portrait possibly could have gotten nominations on its own merits so France could have been gaming to get multiple movies represented. I don't know any evidence of that, but I could theoretically see it.