• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really post threads, but seriously what the hell is up with that? Especially considering the movies that came out last year, such as Dolemite Is My Name.

The Academy just can't handle Dolemite.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even get why Parasite is there in so many categories. Why Portrait of the lady on fire isn't nominated then? Why other foreign movies are just in the Foreign Picture category? Like... It's just stupid. And I love Parasite - it's just the whole method of handling foreign movies is so weird...

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cares about the Oscars anymore, they themselves don't even know how to get back viewership or interest.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even get why Parasite is there in so many categories. Why Portrait of the lady on fire isn't nominated then? Why other foreign movies are just in the Foreign Picture category? Like... It's just stupid. And I love Parasite - it's just the whole method of handling foreign movies is so weird...
Parasite so good it transcends the Oscar's bullshit rulings.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017

France nominated Les Miserable, instead of Portrait. And the Academy isn't so hot on foreign movies, so breaking out of that category without any kind of buzz is hard. And for a foreign movie, that wasn't nominated by its own country in the foreign category, like Portrait, it is even harder to get any attention.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Should call it the "The Good Ol Boys Movie Awards show"

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
They should get rid of the "International" movie category. It is an insult to the medium.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The Last Black Man in San Francisco should have been in a lot of those categories including Best Picture and Director along with Jonathan Majors. Instead we get a middling Tarantino flick.

Prof. Booty

Banned
Jan 1, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
They should just make it so every voter has to nominate 1 person from every demographic.
Like, actor should be..One white guy, one black guy, one Latin guy, one Asian guy etc.
Then move onto to sexual orientation next.
Might be like 25 nominees per category but at least it allows for diveristy.

Repeat this for each category.

Dec 12, 2017
Slayven the Academy shorl does love nominating us for roles in slavery era and Civil Rights era films. To change things up, they award us in disparaging roles like Denzel, Halle and Monique won.

Is Foxx in Ray one of the only ones to break that mold?

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Todd Phillips

B6lwV2g.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Slayven the Academy shorl does love nominating us for roles in slavery era and Civil Rights era films. To change things up, they award us in disparaging roles like Denzel, Halle and Monique won.

Sidney Potter won, but his role was magical negro, Louis Gussett Jr won for just being an army dude, Cuba, Whoopi won for ghost(that movie wasn't even good), hudson and regina king. But yeah the academy has a "type" for the msot part

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

Window

Oct 27, 2017
then the best picture category will be filled with subtitles and no dumb americans will watch this show! we need to contain them and lock them away
Not really, it will just mean the foreign films don't get recognized at all. Do you really think Pain and Glory, Les Miserables, Honey Land etc had more viewers or voters than the likes of 1917 or Joker?

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Do you have data showing how nominations and the diversity in the industry itself are different?

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can only think of Cuba in Jerry Maguire. Otherwise... oof.

EDIT: Went to Wiki. Mahershala won 2 of 'em, but I haven't seen either Moonlight, or Green Book.

Dec 12, 2017
Sidney Potter won, but his role was magical negro, Louis Gussett Jr won for just being an army dude, Cuba, Whoopi won for ghost(that movie wasn't even good), you hudson and regina king. But yeah the academy has a "type" for the msot part
Louis Gossett was kinda a magical negro for Richard Gere.

Whoopi winning for Ghost was on par with Sandra Bullock winning for the Blind Side.