• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I played the shit out of builders 1, got the plat. I look forward to playing the second in a few years.

I started DQXI a few weeks ago, got about 50 hours into it and took a break. It's my first DQ rpg and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Deleted member 46433

Aug 5, 2018
I played the demo of DQB2 and was absolutely bowled over by how charming it is, and how brilliant the dialogue is. Those character designs too!

I've never played any other DQ game though. DQXI is visually stunning, but I'm unsure about whether I can play a big game where the main mechanic is turn based combat. I'm always fine with playing Pokemon games, but anything beyond that and I'm generally put off by how incredibly slow and grindy turn based fighting is.

Will that definitely make DQXI a slog for me?

If you don't like turn base combat you can make all the characters attack automatically. Including yourself. That way you can enjoy the story and graphics. Even walking can be automated. That takes away the grind aspect as you don't have to press any buttons and can watch the game like a movie.

That being said the game isn't really grindy. One of my favorite games ever. I would give DQ XI a try.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving this, I hope this helps the entire series comes to modern systems, but I kinda suspect only Nintendo will care to localize them. I wish more people could play 3 as their first DQ, because it's so awesome and addictive to play.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have probably bought DQXI during the Steam sale, but SE decided not to put the game on sale. I can only assume it was because of the Switch version, but that seems incredibly misguided.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping this gets us a remake of DQ5 as the only way I have of playing that currently is on an emulator and I'd rather buy the game or own it.

If you're already comfortable with emulation, you can buy the PS2 Dragon Quest V remake which was ace - best version imo.

It was never officially localised, but there's a great fan translation available here: http://www.dqtranslations.com/projects/dq5r , so you can rip the disc, patch it and play via PCSX2

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I only got into the series with DQXI's 3DS release a couple of years ago; it's since become my favourite series ever. Consistent quality in every single entry, main series and spinoffs too.

5 is my equal favourite game of all time and both 8 and 11 are very close behind tied for third. XIS might make it a three way tie for me honestly.

Anybody who enjoys JRPGs, turn-based combat, old-school RPGs, colourful fun locales and quality game design owes it to themselves to play Dragon Quest.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
DQXI is so, so good. The day after I finished it (~120h) I felt so sad that it was over so I just started another playthrough to try other stuff and added another ~130h to that lol. It's such a joy to play a new DQ, happened the same with VIII which I also played a couple of times.

I want to do a 3rd playthrough but I think I'll wait until I buy a Switch and double dip (unless the extra content is made available as DLC, which I'm not counting on).

I'm excited for Monsters with Eric and his sister. Never played one of those but if comes to the west I'll get it for sure.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
As someone who has been a huge fan of the games for years (going back to IV), after learning what a piece of shit Sugiyama is, I can't bring myself to play these games any more.

A shame, because XI S looks great. But there's more than enough goodness out for the Switch this year that I'll easily be able to give it a miss.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
One of the few series I'm sad I missed out on.

Define "missed out."

I did manage to get super into DQVIII on the PS2, but that was the 8th game in the series! And afterward, it took me almost a decade to get back into it with V's DS remake (also thanks 3DS for getting me back into handhelds), and then DQVII's 3DS remake was the first one I picked up around release.

DQXI is probably my favorite and a perfect entry point. Never too late to get into it.

Oh, and one last thing: the other DQ game I've played is the mobile version of DQ1, and that was a surprisingly great experience, so chances are the "never too late" thing applies to all the individual games, too. :P

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
DQ XI a pretty good game but the stuff to do after finishing with the main story kind of blew me away, vague spoiler and comparison to a modern film
which reminded me a bit of Avengers End game's 'quest'

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
DQXI was my first time playing the series and ended up being my goty last year. Was really kicking myself for not getting into the series earlier because now I want to play all the previous game but know I'll never have the time.
Looking forward to checking out Builders 2 though later on.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I am skipping builders2 because of builders 1, very similar in many ways

But I will buy XIS in september

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I tried VII and IX and they both bored me and I gave up after a few hours. I also don't really like the music and silent protagonists suck.

I like Monsters because monster raising games are crack to me, but the mainline entries have been snooze inducing. I'll try XI on Switch but I'm expecting it'll suck too.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
DQ XI a pretty good game but the stuff to do after finishing with the main story kind of blew me away, vague spoiler and comparison to a modern film
which reminded me a bit of Avengers End game's 'quest'

As far as "postgames" go, XI's is super good. It's meaty, and tough.

The issue I had was that the "true ending" you get from completing post game made the darker storyline feel cheap. I liked the hopeful but sad ending where everyone plus Serena had become this more mature version of themselves... while the character development that happened in the "postgame" was rushed and lame. I suppose I felt the slightly darker persevered story was more intriguing and emotional.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I started with XI, put it down halfway, and have no played through I through IV. Currently playing V and Builders 2. They are really addicting and scratch an itch for older JRPGs, like Octopath Traveller and Bravely Default do. Considering the success of those titles, you would think Dragon Quest would have found the same type of success. I guess VIII and IX were successful entries in the West, they sold decently. Really hope that XI takes off on the Switch (and that they port the other games to it as well or the PS4).

Glad that I put off XI because it seems this will be the definitive version.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XI's isn't really a post game, it's literally the closing act that clears up all the unresolved mysteries from the story (regardless of how well it's all handled). It's only really presented as a post game for narrative purposes, but it's definitely not something to be skipped.

I didn't like some of the things it does, but some scenes were the best in the game and boy was it fun as hell to play through.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but would it be better to wait for the switch version of XI or play it on my beefy PC? This game seems like a real looker and I don't want to do it a disservice.

Also, I seem to remember reading on here that someone associated with it's direction in kind of a piece of human garbage so if someone could fill me in on that it'd be much appreciated.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but would it be better to wait for the switch version of XI or play it on my beefy PC? This game seems like a real looker and I don't want to do it a disservice.

Also, I seem to remember reading on here that someone associated with it's direction in kind of a piece of human garbage so if someone could fill me in on that it'd be much apreciated
It seems only the Switch version is the Definitive Edition.

PC and PlayStation 4 versions are not.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Also, I seem to remember reading on here that someone associated with it's direction in kind of a piece of human garbage so if someone could fill me in on that it'd be much appreciated.
To be honest the Switch version additions are nice, but you could probably replicate some of them with mods on PC and there's no way it'll look half as good as the PS4 one let alone the PC version.

And yes, that'd be Koichi Sugiyama, the composer, you can catch up on that by simply searching his name on this site trust me lol. Coincidentally, you can give him the middle finger by playing on PC and using the orchestral mod.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just bought Dragon Quest Heroes II, and I don't even like musou games. I just love Dragon Quest that much. (and it was only $14)

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll admit, i'm not really a fan of DQ, it has an interesting history, and massive fanbase in Japan, but I can see why it's a hard sell in Western countries. It relies to much on Nostalgia. You can say the same for franchises like Pokemon or Dragonball Z, but you have to remember Pokemon and Dragonball, have integrated themselves into Western culture, same with how DQ integrated itself into Japanese culture,, or Yokai Watch, and that was another franchise that failed to take off in the West, when it needed to in order to keep its declining interest in Japan alive.

I'll be honest, i'm really hoping DQXII takes a "botw" type leap for the franchise. Turn based battles don't have to go away, but something needs to be done to draw in a bigger crowd in the West. The good thing is DQXI was a nice step in the right direction imo, so hopefully they evolve it further (and replace the composer with someone who has more ambition to boot).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I will only say dq builders 2 is freaking amazing
And I cant wait for XI on the switch will be my first maim dq.

Dec 23, 2017
Hmm, DQB2 on Switch seems to run my Switch pretty hot when docked, with some frame rate drops.

I feel like portable mode plays better, but it has its share of frame rate drops as well.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Man, I really need to pick up DQB2. Especially now that I'm wrapping up my current playthrough of DQXI, which is by far the best JRPG I've played in a long, long time. About an hour or two away from getting that platinum trophy...

As far as "postgames" go, XI's is super good. It's meaty, and tough.

The issue I had was that the "true ending" you get from completing post game made the darker storyline feel cheap. I liked the hopeful but sad ending where everyone plus Serena had become this more mature version of themselves... while the character development that happened in the "postgame" was rushed and lame. I suppose I felt the slightly darker persevered story was more intriguing and emotional.

In regards to the SPOILER

I totally agree. I get what they were trying to go for with Act III, but it absolutely hurt the story for me. I'm guessing they didn't want to "bore the player" by making them go through the characters' stories a second time, so we end up with the lame, rushed pacing where plots are quickly resolved. No emotional weight to the moments at all. Sylvando's daddy issues? One brief pep talk from Hendrik fixes that. Mia's awful curse? Lift the Sword of Light for ten seconds. Bam! She's fine now. Hendrik and Jasper's falling out? Let's just have Jasper die like a little bitch so neither he nor Hendrik will ever learn what they really meant to each other. And Serena goes back to being as interesting as a sack of potatoes.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but would it be better to wait for the switch version of XI or play it on my beefy PC?
definitely. the improvements and new content added to the switch version make it the definitive version in every aspect excel graphics. it's more of a remaster than a port with a lot of new stuff added, including new modes and newt story. unless graphics are the only important factor for you, i would wait for the switch version.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon quest has been awesome for many years, even in the west. But I agree; top notch translations, steady game releases and world class game quality has elevated Dragon Quest beyond «great game for jrpg fans».

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Not a big fan of JRPGs, so I have no plans to play a DQ game proper. But Builders was a pleasant surprise and Builders 2 is even better. Very much enjoying it and it deserves its praise.