• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I just loaded into DQXI the other day on PC, I really wish the keyboard/mouse controls were better. They're pretty bad.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I need someone to help me motivate myself and push through Dragon Quest XI.

I really, really like it. Truly. Cool characters, fun/classic battle system, absolutely GORGEOUS locales. It's good stuff. But man...the story. The story just...is bad. The silent protagonist (which, I know, is a staple of DQ games) is rough enough, but the actual plot is literally painful. 30 hours in and barely anything has happened.

Does it get better? Should I stick with it? Should I just accept the fact that the story in DQ games just aren't for me?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Looking forward to the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI.

I did get Dragon Quest Builders but lost interest at the start of the fourth chapter. I was going to get Builders 2 but it's launched too close to Fire Emblem: Three Houses so I won't have the time for it right now.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If it's off topic feel free to delete but one of my favorite game music cover musicians did a cover of the main theme about 2 days ago and it's unf

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Does it get better? Should I stick with it? Should I just accept the fact that the story in DQ games just aren't for me?
Unless Act III is really really better (which I really doubt), the other 20ish hours until the end of Act II (when the credits roll) are not better at all. There's some small story arcs that are good (the mermaid one is the best, don't know if you have reached it), and the end of Act II has some emotional scenes, but overall the game doesn't change that much aside from 2-3 good story arcs. The final dungeon is the blandest thing ever and it takes a lot to complete, maybe the worst hours from the game are there.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is honestly the most overrated game on era. It is a good rpg but nothing that will make you say wow. It has nice visuals, but the battle system is pretty boring. The story is nothing to write home about and the MC is extremely bland.

Also it has Sugiyama.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest always deserved love. I just hope Square releases the DS/iOS ports to Switch and PS4 so people can play the older games as well. Seems like a no brainer.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Dragon Quest XI is honestly the most overrated game on era. It is a good rpg but nothing that will make you say wow. It has nice visuals, but the battle system is pretty boring. The story is nothing to write home about and the MC is extremely bland.

Also it has Sugiyama.

Can we freaking ban the word overrated from the Earth? Scour it, exile its children, etc.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People rate stuff how they want. Or, excuse me, I think you're underrating the game. Looky there we're back at square one lol
Good on you. Atleast it is my opinion that DQ11 is nothing special in terms of rpgs.

The composer being a bigot doesn't make the music itself bad, lol. The overture is one of the most rousing melodies in all of videogames. Wonderful stuff.
and a war crime denier.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried that what happened to DQ11 on PS4 will happen to DQ11S.

but regardless, I'm coppin it day one

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm still hoping this gets us a remake of DQ5 as the only way I have of playing that currently is on an emulator and I'd rather buy the game or own it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Also it has Sugiyama.
Coming from a user with a Vesperia avatar

I'm sorry but what

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Good on you. Atleast it is my opinion that DQ11 is nothing special in terms of rpgs.

That's fine, it's my fourth favorite in the series lol. I think 7 and 5 were much more innovative for the genre and better games overall, and 8 does 11's comfort food slow JRPG journey thing better. But 11 is still a pretty safe bet for most people, hence why most people give it very high marks.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
With DQXI, I'm expecting some nice nostalgic JRPG comfort food - basically the sort of faces and places you'd expect from the high fantasy games of yore, but in a lovely visual style with some charming characters (silent protag aside) and monster designs. I'm not expecting any groundbreaking story beats. The various QoL features and added content in the Switch version sound nice. I also imagine a game like this is well-suited for the Switch's versatility.

Oct 25, 2017
The series went from my favorite to something that consistently disappoints me. The main series almost always has some really dodgy design, interface, or localization issues that end up turning me away hard. Downgraded soundtracks, new interface lag or slowdown, dropped party chat, text speeds slower than the JP versions, and more, have left me enjoying the Builders spinoffs so much more than the mainline series.

I strongly recommend either DQB2 or the phone version of DQ5 over 11 or any of the DS/3DS games. The interface and text work so much better on the phone versions than the DS games.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Also it has Sugiyama.
No way. The game's gorgeous, the story is really emotional, and the battle system is sublime on Hard. It's one of the most well-balanced RPGs I've played in a long while. Few things are more satisfying than finally figuring out a hard boss fight and wrecking them.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also it has Sugiyama.

"Overrated" is kind of a weird charge to throw at DQ XI as I feel like its adherence to tradition has always been kind of divisive. For every piece of praise at how marvelously it plays to the series roots with modern day production values there's someone else complaining about what a boring slog it is.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way. The game's gorgeous, the story is really emotional, and the battle system is sublime on Hard. It's one of the most well-balanced RPGs I've played in a long while. Few things are more satisfying than finally figuring out a hard boss fight and wrecking them.
I agree the story could be pretty emotional, but the MC dragged it down for me with another blank stare.

Wind waker link had better expressions back in 2002.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The story was incredible. Honestly one of the best examples of world-building in service of an emotional storyline in a long time. You see people evolving with you, even random NPCs. Instead of just throwing you the next big thing at every corner, it tries to really make you feel like the world is lived-in and that the people inside are living their lives as you go.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Really wasn't expecting to like DQB2 as much as I currently do. Is a pretty addictive game with lots of charm and the fact that I can take it anywhere with my Switch means that I can always make a little progress building or completing missions, this is the ideal digital game. I'm glad that I used my vouchers for this.

Also, I can't believe that I'm playing this more than Super Mario Maker 2 which is also good but this is just so much better for my tastes.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Hero coming to Smash inspired me to delve into my backlog and finish DQ8. It's great. I'm seeing a lot of world and character details I didn't notice before. It looks stunning emulated with 5x widescreen resolution and it really deserves an HD remaster.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play my first Dragon Quest game since the first one on NES. It being a better version of the game I avoided makes this a no-brainer.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Jumped into the series after the Smash announcement when I caught myself saying "Why him?" Now, 3 games in, I'm really enjoying the games, and will likely go in on XI S. The games are like enjoying 70's and 80's anime; comfortable and charming.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory link:

www.resetera.com

A Guide for Getting Into Dragon Quest

A Guide for Getting Into Dragon Quest With the imminent release of Dragon Quest XI (which is a huge deal - it's been a full 8 years since we got Dragon Quest IX), I figured now would be a fantastic time to provide some advice about "getting into" the series. This post was originally much...

I owned and played the first four as a kid on NES, but only played the first two much (the latter two came out after I'd kinda moved on, but I played through each once and liked them). And then I played 9 on DS years later.

That said, I'm going through all of them now, thanks to the above thread. And I'm up to IV right now and LOVING it. I can't wait for XI.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Dragon Quest isn't for everybody, but it's definitely a series for me.

Dragon Quest is often described as comfort food or as vanilla around these parts, but honestly, every now and then there's nothing wrong with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream. The series is pretty consistent from the games I've played through (4, 7, 8, 9, and 11). It's like opening a book of fairytale's and then being transported inside for the duration of the game. It feels like being in a home far away from home. It's the kind of game that can get you lost in its charm and make time pass by in the blink of an eye.

It's the kind of game that'll make you want to play just a 'little' bit longer to see where this story thread goes. Stories range from fun and silly to downright melancholic. Each new major location tends to bring a new story, a vignette, wrapped inside of a more bigger on-going story. The vignettes tend to stand out more than the main story in my honest opinion. When I look back on each game, I look back at the little stories that help make the world feel alive and cement its fairytale-like status to me.

Combat in this series is what you make of it. I remember when I first started I would read online that you don't ever really have to grind to beat these games. Playing VIII for the first time I was getting my butt handed to me early on, and my initial thought was to just grind through the moment. However, I've learned the beauty behind the system is utilizing its wide range of spells/abilities, the buffs/debuffs all play important roles throughout the game and make the combat much more engaging and rewarding.

Dragon Quest XI may not be revolutionary, but it's a beautifully imagined world with lots of breathtaking scenery where I just had to stop to take it all in before moving on. In my opinion, it has the most memorable cast of characters I've seen in the series to date -- It's rare for me to say this, but I love every single party member in Dragon Quest XI. The music is a low point (hopefully rectified on Switch) I'll admit, but still, I loved journeying across the world of Erdrea. I was engaged in the narrative, and before I knew it I was over 100 hours into the game and still wanting more.

I look forward to not only replaying DQ XI on Switch but to playing the rest of the series as well.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't get Builders 2 right now because there so much stuff coming out but I plan on getting XIS day 1.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018

this song single-handedly convinced me i need to get into the series
there music is amazing

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
There's something wrong with me; I love DQ games but dislike DQXI for a reason that I don't grasp. Stopped playing after around 20 hours.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Already loved the 1st buildiers especially for the story mode. And was great to see DQ main series coming back to home consoles, DQXI was one of the best JRPGs this gen, hope they keep coming to all home consoles.

Oct 25, 2017

I thought the balance was really, really bad. Not only are the skill trees some of the worst designed in recent JRPG memory, but you get a modern equivalent of Crono's Luminaire for the MC, and the balance on hard comes at the cost of the game having some of the worst boss variety in a modern JRPG. Like all of them are multi-attack, + some specific elements, + a specific status ailment. A bunch of the difficulty on hard mode comes from the RNG of whether you get crit before you get set up and stabilized with buffs, and the way crits work in the series nuke any agency the player has in mitigating their damage if it comes within the first few rounds.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI is the best JRPG of this gen and I cant wait for Switch owners to experience it. I'm picking it up again on Day 1.

Really excited to play Luminary in Smash!