• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed Dragon Quest games since back on the Gameboy when it was still called Dragon Warrior. But VII was the one that had me fall in love with the series. No series I've played does the vignette storytelling as well. Just short, poignant moments of emotion.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one of my favorite series of all time, really happy that mainline titles and spin-offs are enjoying some success.
can't wait to play XI S in september, and also to play the new monsters game whenever it comes.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stanning DQ since 2008, when I first discovered the franchise with the remake of IV on DS
best JRPG series of all time

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon quest is a warm blanket after a hard day with mac and cheese like mom used to make, what im saying is that its the comfiest series I've ever played. Final fantasy has always been legendary or disappointing dragon quest is a consistant perfect vibe.

Also DQ11 was magical and lived up to the hype, I want to rebuy it and play the old school mode

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XI and Builders 2 are among the best games of this generation for me, but in general DQ has to be the most consistently excellent JRPGs series I know; it's absurd. Hopefully Smash works its magic because the fact that the series isn't popular in the west is just frustrating.
I need someone to help me motivate myself and push through Dragon Quest XI.

I really, really like it. Truly. Cool characters, fun/classic battle system, absolutely GORGEOUS locales. It's good stuff. But man...the story. The story just...is bad. The silent protagonist (which, I know, is a staple of DQ games) is rough enough, but the actual plot is literally painful. 30 hours in and barely anything has happened.

Does it get better? Should I stick with it? Should I just accept the fact that the story in DQ games just aren't for me?
Oh plenty of stuff happens alright, it's just that it spends a good chunk of the first chapter establishing the characters and locations instead. The story goes places.

Still, that's a common criticism with DQ games and I think it's a matter of perspective. People are too used to JRPGs focusing on dramatic twists as what makes a plot interesting, but DQ largely focus on smaller stories that flesh out locales and townspeople first and foremost to make you attached to its worlds. They're exceptionally written but players arbitrarily decide that it's not important and they'd rather the game skipped to the "good stuff". IMO that's just not seeing the forest for the trees.
Play III, you yellow-bellied sapsuckers!
Play I and II before that, you absolute criminals.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited to give DQXI S a try, but I can't help but to worry about the thing that has pushed me away from every DQ I've played in the past: the core battle system is kind of... bland. I love the trappings around everything else, the exploration, music, plot, even down to the smithing stuff in XI, but in a world where Bravely Default and Octopath exist, I can't help but feel like DQ has not evolved much.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest series is great, from mainline to Monsters and Builders spin-offs.

I'll finally be picking up XI when the Switch version comes out. Very much looking forward to it.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's always something about the games that make me drop them halfway and I loved jrpgs.

Gonna try DQ XI again when it hits the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I soured on XI by the "post-game", the Switch version in 2D mode with the orchestrated soundtrack should help quash some of my gripes. The original release has what I think is literally the worst JRPG soundtrack of the last decade (Sonic is 11 years old now, FYI), and the unskippable cutscenes, especially those involving the silent protagonist, were absolutely brutal. Also, the PS4 / PC version has so much missing content that would have mixed things up, and one of the worst "airships" the series. Why is it so restricted? Being sped up will make the game's huge problem with repeating content several times less of an issue.

Will Switch 2D mode get the newly added combat dialogue?

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
between this and Octopath, which one would y'all recommend
Hard to say. I gave Octopath my GotY last year over DQXI but that's mostly because I prefer Dragon Quest as a handheld franchise. I feel like DQXI on Switch with all the added content and handheld play would make me pick it over Octopath, but you can't go wrong with either

Last edited:

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Dragon Quest is one of my favorite franchises of all time and I completely agree that now is the perfect time to get into the games. I've played through every game and replayed the first five games recently and am looking forward to 11 on the switch!

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dragon quest is my favorite rpg series! Im so happy its finally getting more attention, even if the composer is a huge pile of garbage and needs to be as far away from the series as possible.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm quite hyped for XI S and the heroes in smash which is something, as I was almost sure to not take any character from the fighter pass before seeing them.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the PS4 version at 80 hours and I may do the same for the Switch version. Great series but if you are jumping in with this one I'd like to point out that it is a bit slow in the beginning. It really picks up and has one of the best end games I've played in a JRPG.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
between this and Octopath, which one would y'all recommend

I've only played Octopath, but I'd never willingly recommend it to someone, so DQ. Doesn't take much for me to see that it's the much more impressive game.

Octopath has its charm in some aspects, but overall I ended up souring on it quite a bit unfortunately.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
People will argue that they were fucked because they bought DQ XI on PS4 or PC and will swear that they would never buy a DQ game again unless all the improvements and extras come to the platforms in a free Day 1 DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
I 100%'d Dragon Quest XI on PC and I might do it again on Switch, it's that good.

For anyone playing XI, play it with Draconian difficulty on, it's worth it.

Dec 23, 2017
I've never played a Dragon Quest game before.

I think what turned me away was the first person turn based combat that I saw in the past.

I don't know if that's changed now but perhaps someone can give me some insight on the series.

I'm currently trying out the DQ Builders 2 demo on my Switch.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Love builders so much. Been awesome seeing my little guy building away. It's actually made me interested in 11 once it releases.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Builders 2 is amazing so far. I adore the funny, charming and self-aware localisation. Does DQXI have a similar tone? That could easily carry me through a 80 hour game.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I thought XI was fine, but unimpressive, as if the constraints of old titles were still at play when they really didn't need to. Builders 2, however, is lovely and exponentially expands on the already great first game.

DQ is a great series with many top-notch entries. I really hope it keeps getting more and more western attention.

Builders 2 is amazing so far. I adore the funny, charming and self-aware localisation. Does DQXI have a similar tone? That could easily carry me through a 80 hour game.
It does, in a way, but the main entries in the series are, in general, significantly more straight-faced than Builders.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I've never played a Dragon Quest game before.

I think what turned me away was the first person turn based combat that I saw in the past.

I don't know if that's changed now but perhaps someone can give me some insight on the series.

I'm currently trying out the DQ Builders 2 demo on my Switch.
With 8 it change a bit as you could at least see your character attacking. It kept a fast paced turn base system and worked well enough.
Now you can see the characters all the time during battles and I believe even move them if you want.
You have quite a few options actually since you can either control everyone or chose some auto option, speed up battles and even go in 2D mode for old school battle system (the one you were troubled with).

I didn't play yet buy you can easily see it's the most welcoming just with it's scale of options and updates.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Builders does lean a bit more on humor than usual, but the series is consistently charming and cheeky like that.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Wrong. I love turn based JRPG (I love SMT, Persona, Kiseki, older FF games, Chrono Trigger is one of my favorites games ever), but DQ VIII was meh to me and DQ XI one of the most boring games I ever "finished" (never played Act III though). It's a beautiful, polished game that has lots of systems and content, sure, but the basic story, really bad OST and old anime jokes are not for me. The combat feels slow and lacks any of the great additions the genre has introduced since the SNES times (like, for example, a turn order list), the world feels too vanilla and even if some story arcs are good (mostly the arcs that are inspired in some popular child tale), the 2nd act kills the pacing a lot as it repeats an insane amount of content.

IMO DQ XI relies a lot in nostalgia, it's a solid polished game for sure, but as someone who plays all big JRPGs, both turn-based and not turn-based, DQ XI was quite the boring/safe experience. In fact the only JRPG I enjoyed less the last few years is NnK II, which I consider an unfinished product that is far below DQ XI.

Happy to see it doing better in the west, I hope the series introduce more people to the JRPG world, but it's sad that Nintendo needs to do the marketing effort that SE is not doing at all (all the Builders commercials are from the Ps4 version though).

Lmao. This why I don't care what westerners think on DQ? The best JRPG series out there that influenced your favorite JRPGs series. DQ was by itself on the top and no JRPG series wasn't even born at the time. There has yet to be a JRPG as transcendental like DQIII. InB4 FFVII, right? NO!!!!!!

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. This why I don't care what westerners think on DQ? The best JRPG series out there that influenced your favorite JRPGs series. DQ was by itself on the top and no JRPG series wasn't even born at the time. There has yet to be a JRPG as transcendental like DQIII. InB4 FFVII, right? NO!!!!!!
are you saying FF isnt influential?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This why I don't care what westerners think on DQ?
Ok so you don't care, then you can stop reading a forum where westerners (amongst others) talk about games. If thinking that DQ is the best thing ever makes you happy go ahead, but if you can't tolerate other opinions you're in the wrong place.

I wonder why some DQ fans are so eager to bore me with history lessons, it's not relevant at all when talking about if the game appeals to me or not tbh. Maybe living in the past is the best way to enjoy the games, who knows.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I don't know if I agree OP

As a Dragon Quest fan, Builders/Smash aren't really my cup of tea, and XI is good but not the best in the series (that's V SFC/DS or VIII PS2)

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also currently playing 7 3ds before I play 11 for the first time. Its weird, kinda slow, but I still really enjoy it so far. Besides this game I ony have 6, 11, and 10 for mainline games to play

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I'm planning on giving DQ5 a shot eventually - I spoiled most of the big plot points for myself years ago but because it's relatively unique by JRPG standards I'm still interested in playing it.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I need someone to help me motivate myself and push through Dragon Quest XI.

I really, really like it. Truly. Cool characters, fun/classic battle system, absolutely GORGEOUS locales. It's good stuff. But man...the story. The story just...is bad. The silent protagonist (which, I know, is a staple of DQ games) is rough enough, but the actual plot is literally painful. 30 hours in and barely anything has happened.

Does it get better? Should I stick with it? Should I just accept the fact that the story in DQ games just aren't for me?

It gets much better. Act 2 is good stuff, it's iffy in places but it's a surprising turn of events... act 3 undoes it all though and makes it feel cheap... but luckily act 3 is optional and considered post game. I never got far into act 3 but act 2 with some of its highlights really had me interested.

Act 1 is slow, act 2 is messy but hype, act 3 is post game content covered as main story.