• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forward compatible as in an automatic upgrade, like owning Gears 5 on Xbox One S and buying an Xbox One X and the game automatically looks/runs better. Microsoft has already said their future/launch games will be like this. So if you buy Halo Infinite on Xbox One S, buying a Series X down the line will still play the game, but better. Unfortunately I dont see a lot of companies doing this, but I think some will. I think Sony will do it for their first party titles, so Xbox doesn't have that over them. I can also see Bethesda and CD Projekt Red doing this, due to their relationship with the console makers and their backwards compatibility efforts on Xbox One. Anyone else have thoughts? I do think that the libraries of PS4/X1 in combination with their successor's backwards compatibility are unprecedented in the console space going into next gen, only comparable to PC.

GTAV, get ready to but that shit again lol.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

We will see more stable framerates, hitting the top end of dynamic resolutions more consistently, and things like all games on One X getting 16x anisotropic filtering, forced v-sync and variable refresh rate support. I suspect there will be other improvements implemented at a system level.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first company that tries to sell a 60fps remaster of a current gen game hopefully earns a shitstorm

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
To be honest, I do think that most games will work in the new systems, but perhaps we shouldn't automatically expect to be "enhanced" in terms of resolution or textures. More than anything, because in this generation the games had to be designed for the better hardware or patches had to be released including those options, and not all developers will want to spend resources to target old games. Unfortunately, I expect that most games will work very similarly as they do in PS4/Xbox One, perhaps with some performance improvements.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect all my PS4 first party games to not only work on my PS5 but to automatically tune up the graphics and performance to suit the new hardware.

Just like running a game on a beefier PC.

Sony can eat several dicks until this is standard.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Pretty much all of them on the Xbox side. Already confirmed pretty sure you can play all Xbox gens on the new Xbox.

We will see about PlayStation

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
All of them. I'm not sure I understand the question, aren't the new gen consoles supposed to be backwards compatible? The way they talked about it implies there is no list of games, but all of them will be.

Nov 8, 2017
All of them. I'm not sure I understand the question, aren't the new gen consoles supposed to be backwards compatible? The way they talked about it implies there is no list of games, but all of them will be.
I think the question is whether we'll see PS4 games that are enhanced to look and/or perform better on PS5 in similar ways that many games currently are for PS4 Pro. So for a simple example something like this:
  • PS4: Game X runs 1080p/30fps.
  • PS4 Pro: Game X runs either 4K/30fps (Cinematic Mode) or 1080p/60fps (Performance Mode).
  • PS5: Game X runs 4k/60fps.
So the PS5 enhancements would need to be on a per-game basis, which goes beyond what a simple generic "Boost Mode" setting (like what PS4 Pro currently has for games that do are not enhanced for PS4 Pro) can provide.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think there will be many patches, if a game has Pro or X support, that's probably enough.
I believe many publishers will prefer to resell games as remasters anyway, like RDR2 remastered would fly off the shelves, makes no sense for T2 to do a next gen patch.