• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Me trying to keep up with the Xbox Series X acronyms

giphy.gif

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has the opportunity to completely knock Xbox BC out of the park with the historical libraries they have under them. Even if their engineers aren't up to the task of making PS3/Vita work, PS1/2/Portable should absolutely be a component here with PS5.

It blows my mind the built in advantage they have in this area that's gone utterly wasted on PS4. Same with Nintendo on Switch and the glacial pace of NSO.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"One of the things we're most proud of with Xbox Series X is the promise we're delivering to our fans who have and continue to invest with Xbox. Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020."
Is that confirmation of full backwards compatibility or backwards compatibility like the Xbox One?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
BC with PS4 is confirmed, and it has many old games.

If BC with old systems is not possible they should at least port the games to PS4/5.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"One of the things we're most proud of with Xbox Series X is the promise we're delivering to our fans who have and continue to invest with Xbox. Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020."
Ohh thanks. I'd assumed this had been announced already.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I have a feeling we wont see Backwards Compatibility beyond PS4 games and PS2 games available on PS4.

Yep, Jason Schreier said that he does not expect anything more than this, unless Sony release updates later on.

Full BC is insanely hard to do with all different architecture of older consoles.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I doubt full BC will happen, unfortunately. Hell, they don't even give us access to PSOne classics we purchased, and those games can run on a toaster. Probably PS4 BC, PS2 classics from PS4, and push PSNow for PS3 BC.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
It's the only way I would be interested in PS5 over XSeX. Having some form of legacy support is a big deal to me.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
BC is irrelevant for the older generation games other than the PS4 titles .

It really depends on how invested you are in the ecosystem. If you have 50 PS4 games and no Xbox games a BC Xbox will hold no value unless you want to rebuy all of the games. Since there are 100 million PS4's out there I doubt BC on Xbox will be a deciding factor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BC is irrelevant for the older generation games other than the PS4 titles .

It really depends on how invested you are in the ecosystem. If you have 50 PS4 games and no Xbox games a BC Xbox will hold no value unless you want to rebuy all of the games. Since there are 100 million PS4's out there I doubt BC on Xbox will be a deciding factor.
its not irrelevant theres lots of older games people buy and play, just see the sucess of remakes and remaster, and there's plenty of games that will never be remastered or remaked that people want to play or just want to play the original, the xone bc success reflects that.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think they see the money they're leaving on the table by not letting people at least buy and download PS1-3 games, and will definitely try to support as many with the PS5 as possible. I'm not so sure I'd expect to be able to put discs from those consoles into the drive and redeem free copies, though.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The ability to bring my backlog with me to the XSX is the reason I'm probably buying one.

Sure I'll never finish Red Dead Redemption 2 or Kingdom Hearts III... BUT I could...

And that's very powerful.
The fact that I have my X360 save file of FFXIII available on my XOne X for example means I don't have to keep around my 360 hardware to enjoy my old games ... or buy another copy from Square when they inevitably rerelease it, and it'll still work on my XSX.

I wish I could say the same of say Super Mario World or Metal Gear Solid.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect PS4 BC and nothing else.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment expecting more.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
BC with PS4 is confirmed, and it has many old games.

If BC with old systems is not possible they should at least port the games to PS4/5.

PS2 and PS1 emulation is absolutely possible, with many enhancements. We'll have to wait and see how they choose to approach that. If the console will actually read the discs, or they'll just re-sell PS1 and PS2 classics.

PS3 emulators still don't work that well, and you can't expect the PS5 to pack the hardware to make that happen.

So, I imagine PS3 games will just be forgotten. The most popular will end up as remastered titles eventually, but the rest will be lost to time.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
PS2 and PS1 emulation is absolutely possible, with many enhancements. We'll have to wait and see how they choose to approach that. If the console will actually read the discs, or they'll just re-sell PS1 and PS2 classics.

PS3 emulators still don't work that well, and you can't expect the PS5 to pack the hardware to make that happen.

So, I imagine PS3 games will just be forgotten. The most popular will end up as remastered titles eventually, but the rest will be lost to time.

Interesting, thanks. I hope they put PS1/2 games on PSN because I don't have any disc lol

Shame about PS3 games. Multiplats are fine on PC, but exclusives :/

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

but i think they could emulate PSP (and even psvita) too there's great games there, but i think its complicated to say about ps3 emulation, they have all the information, know how and enginers of ps3 that the emulator developers dont, so i think they could create a good ps3 emulator its more a question of investment and dedication i think, but the ones i want to play more are really ps1,ps2 and psp games hehe

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, thanks. I hope they put PS1/2 games on PSN because I don't have any disc lol

Shame about PS3 games. Multiplats are fine on PC, but exclusives :/

Yep I don't have any old discs anymor either. Still, nice to have the option to play from the disc for those that do.

In many cases, purchasing the used copies of older games is actually more expensive than the digital counterpart. Games like Dark Cloud 2 on Playstation are priced at ÂŁ7.99, but that game is like ÂŁ40 used right now.

but i think they could emulate PSP (and even psvita) too there's great games there, but i think its complicated to say about ps3 emulation, they have all the information, know how and enginers of ps3 that the emulator developers dont, so i think they could create a good ps3 emulator its more a question of investment and dedication i think, but the ones i want to play more are really ps1,ps2 and psp games hehe

Yeah I forget about the portable titles.

And you're right regarding PS3 stuff, but given that Sony's own PS1 and PS2 emulators are shoddy, and do not work as well as free counterparts I doubt we'll see great things. The PS1 emulator on PS1 and Vita adds quite a bit of input lag to the original games.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Fully Backwards Compatible. That's one hell of a bullet point that has me extremely interested in the Xbox ecosystem right now. To the level of "go out and sell all my PS4 games and buy the Xbox One equivalent."

Microsoft got what they wanted, I'd say, by showing their hand early. I'm excited and I'd completely jump ship if Sony complicates their BC offerings.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who had no problem with Xbone gonna get mad at Xbox SeX.

And I don't think there's any doubt backwards compatibility is coming to PS5 at launch. If it doesn't, they're going to get roasted.
XBONE made sense: XB + One = XBONE
XBSEX does not: XB + Se(ries) X? = You really need to reach for this one.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I would keep those expectations firmly in check. You'll be lucky to get anything more than PS4 BC. It sucks but that's reality.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
XBONE made sense: XB + One = XBONE
XBSEX does not: XB + Se(ries) X? = You really need to reach for this one.
You just did one thing and said it made sense, and then did the same thing again and said it makes no sense.

Just accept that it will be known as the SeX Box and any developer working on a game for it will be considered a SeX worker.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You just did one thing and said it made sense, and then did the same thing again and said it makes no sense.

Just accept that it will be known as the SeX Box and any developer working on a game for it will be considered a SeX worker.
You're chopping a word up (Series) in two in order to come up ith XBSEX.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Anything short of full physical BC for PS1 - PS4 will be a disappointment. I want an add on to put a UMD and Vita card reader and make those BC too, because I'm a crazy person.

They'll just do PS4 and call it there

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Major Nelson is crying after reading that post.

I'm sure Sony is aware but I think anything more than PS4 games is unlikely.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually in their best interests to get as many of these games playable on PS5 hardware and working for PlayStation Now, especially PS3 games. They're still using PS3 hardware to run those games.

If they can gather a small engineering team to take the current RPCS3 and add it to the PS5, as well as forming a QA team to test important titles, they can discard the old tech and get PS3 games looking and running better for their service and their console. It's more optimal and makes sense in the long-term.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Xsex is actually way easier to say than XSX. Realistically, I think people will settle on SX.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Fully Backwards Compatible. That's one hell of a bullet point that has me extremely interested in the Xbox ecosystem right now. To the level of "go out and sell all my PS4 games and buy the Xbox One equivalent."

Microsoft got what they wanted, I'd say, by showing their hand early. I'm excited and I'd completely jump ship if Sony complicates their BC offerings.

I don't think the Series X is "Fully BC" as in every Xbox game ever. It has the same BC that the Xbox One has now, and then Xbox One games themselves, obviously that is still more than the PS4. Honestly they need to make PS5 fully PS4 BC (which it will be) add the ability to play PS1/2 games by disc/PSN and then use PS Now for PS3 games.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about learning from MS but instead they should look at their own data and judge if it's viable to have BC all the way back to PS1 (obviously it'll have PS4 BC at least).

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Sony has the opportunity to completely knock Xbox BC out of the park with the historical libraries they have under them. Even if their engineers aren't up to the task of making PS3/Vita work, PS1/2/Portable should absolutely be a component here with PS5.

It blows my mind the built in advantage they have in this area that's gone utterly wasted on PS4. Same with Nintendo on Switch and the glacial pace of NSO.

I agree. I've been saying for the last few years that they should've implemented PS1 & PS2 compatibility this generation. They didn't even bother with downloadable PS1 games on PS4, which is a crying shame, since even their portable systems had that ability.

As others have said, PS4 compatibility is confirmed, but I don't know about the rest. In any case, I would love to see them do something with their older systems' games on PS5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell this is a video games forum due to the fact someone unironically called the next Xbox the "Xsex". Fucking Christ this is embarrassing.

i find it funny that people feel outraged by this juvenile pun and made it the subject of the thread.
sex is just a word, and something natural, why you feel embarrassed about it? There's no problem if the nickname sticks with xsex, I will tell something a sex educator talked in a talk i watched years ago about this.
She said that to treat sex as something embarrassing, serious, something you cant talk, sacred its prejudicial to society health, teenagers and people happines. Because that creates a barrier around people, that sex is not something to be talked, and thats prejudicial to sex education, in all its areas and even the pleasure one, if people talked and treated sex as something that it is, like something natural and fun, society would have less health problems (psycological too), less undesirable pregnancies, and be happier.
The xsex pun (even if its something juvenile) that i made that lots of other people did before me, is actualy a better behaviour for society to naturalize the talk and destroy this mystic barrier around sex than to feel embarrassed and censure people that made it.
This is a good talk i think, but since it changes the subject of the thread lets not continue it, lets talk about bc that is the subject.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
You'll get what Sony feels is the minimal amount of effort to put forward on the matter to ensure a purchase from a hypothetical user who might be looking at Xbox and thinking "wow, I want to be a part of that," so...anything that plays on a PS4, most likely. There's no financial incentive for them to do anything more than that, I don't think.

I'd love love LOVE to be able to play my PS2 library natively on PS5, but Sony would prefer prefer PREFER that I rebuy those games digitally if they're even offered at all. Another time, Sub Rebellion. Another time.

Also sex teehee

peepeepoopoo

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Xbox just had to worry about two console gens. The amount of games from the PS1-PS3 gens is daunting. I could see the PS5 having PS4 BC but that's about it.

Idk, being able to play old games on a new console isn't really my main focus when buying a new console. Sure it's neat, but not really must have for me.