• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's funny to me that some Japanese devs seem to think that there's a "Western appeal" set of features that they have to include in their game for it to be popular, or that they have to be very conscious of Western audiences in order for one of their games to succeed here. Just make good games :D FE Awakening was outstanding and it sold what it did because of that, not because they accidentally made a "Western love potion".

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I actually think FE3W looks pretty great graphically. Why am I alone?

The textures for the environments can look a bit off but besides that I think it looks absolutely fine. From the trailers they've uploaded, outside of the monastery outdoor textures, it's pretty nice to look at. Not "great" but definitely fine.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The textures for the environments can look a bit off but besides that I think it looks absolutely fine. From the trailers they've uploaded, outside of the monastery outdoor textures, it's pretty nice to look at. Not "great" but definitely fine.
Tons of things are missing shadows too, which is super distracting.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, shadows are there, just barely visible in some situations.
I've watched the most recent Japan Expo gameplay and everyone cast shadows.

I'll take that instead of everyone missing feet on 3DS lol

The recent overview trailer and TVCM from Japan look like they have an extra level of visual polish tbh

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm gonna repeat this. You don't buy studios. You buy IP's. Studios are essentially mercenary talent you contract out to help with games. You have no guarantee talent will stay in a studio, that's why buying them is risky. It's why Nintendo won't buy Platinum or Koei.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Koei-Tecmo does good work for them and takes some of the load off allowing a more consistent stream of new games. Think this is working perfectly. Same with Namco, Platinum, etc.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Bit of an off-topic question, but how is FE:Warriors? Especially if you've already played (and liked) Hyrule Warriors?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Bit of an off-topic question, but how is FE:Warriors? Especially if you've already played (and liked) Hyrule Warriors?

Youbwill miss the boss fights with specific weapons, but at the same time there are more warriors and contents (compared to the wiiu version at least) and a better battle system based on the character swap

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

If you're a Fire Emblem fan and a musou fan, it's a great combination of the two, and I personally found that the addition of commanding other units' actions made it the most tactically satisfying musou.

The roster is its main disappointment, but if you enjoy Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon characters (+ unlockable Lyn and Celica), then it'll be fine.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Youbwill miss the boss fights with specific weapons, but at the same time there are more warriors and contents (compared to the wiiu version at least) and a better battle system based on the character swap
Depends on what you enjoy. Tactically I'd say it's better, but HW has more unique characters & weapons. I like both a whole lot.
Thanks for the impressions!
If you're a Fire Emblem fan and a musou fan, it's a great combination of the two, and I personally found that the addition of commanding other units' actions made it the most tactically satisfying musou.

The roster is its main disappointment, but if you enjoy Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon characters (+ unlockable Lyn and Celica), then it'll be fine.
I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, I only played the Gamecube one and a bit of Awakening and liked those. That said, I know a few characters and even have my favorites, like (hunky) Ike and Lyn for example :)
Please tell me that Titania is in? That would seal the deal.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

I am just hoping a Sequel might be made so they can include New Mystery stuff in the game also other games in the series that need more love.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Hoping so too but I don't think it sold well 😔.

Probably a better chance at HW2.
I thought it sold decently, but I mainly want New Mystery in the sequel as a lot of people in West know mush about it due to not coming to the West. Also would like Katarina as a playable character with a Warriors remake of Tearing Shadows.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that's a bit harsh on namco I feel. Sure they don't put everything on Switch but they put a good amount. KT is exactly the same.

Koei Tecmo is definitely better in this regard, tbh. Their games have been appearing on the Switch day-and-date and they put pretty much everything on the console. The only recent game that could have been on Switch and wasn't is Dead or Alive 6.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind Gust is KT too, and they also put out ~3 games a year / everyrhing on Switch. Granted, this isn't really anything new. KT is obscenely efficient (and their production values are particularly suited to the platform / they're not exactly fighting the specs to port anything over, like Capcom or Bamco in cases).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo is definitely better in this regard, tbh. Their games have been appearing on the Switch day-and-date and they put pretty much everything on the console. The only recent game that could have been on Switch and wasn't is Dead or Alive 6.
They are better, that's true. (I don't think DoA6 on Switch would be a pretty sight. It's probably the last of the 3D fighting games I'd expect to see on the system due to performance)

But I don't think Namco has been terrible either. They've been very slow at times and there are some questionable omissions but that comment read like they are capcom or something.

Laserplane

Apr 28, 2018
I'm just sick of this "WHAT? PEOPLE EVERYWHERE LIKE STRATEGY GAMES?!" thing. Yes god damn it you just can't half ass it, like anything else!

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Koei-Tecmo and Bandai-Namco sure have been doing a lot of work for Nintendo in recent years.

In an old interview, Iwata stated that that was Nintendo's way of getting in touch with the japanese game dev industry, which at the time was shrinking, so by contracting other studios, they would speed up their HD development and avoid fellow companies to go broke by paying for their talent.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm gonna repeat this. You don't buy studios. You buy IP's. Studios are essentially mercenary talent you contract out to help with games. You have no guarantee talent will stay in a studio, that's why buying them is risky. It's why Nintendo won't buy Platinum or Koei.

Interesting about the Monolith Soft purchase then. Seems like the developer has really grown and flourished under the Big N.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
If only they got help in the character design department... Those pre-timeskip designs are just bland and everyone's face is so same-y.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Like with game freak and Pokemon, a lot of people struggle to understand how the change from 3ds to switch can be overwhelming for those devs. People think : with that amount power, the will full berserk. But no, this is not how it works.
At least Pokemon has cute artstyle to mask some of the flaws 😷

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted Waters is great, gave me a real appreciation of canals.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bying Monolithsoft was the best nintendo has ever done and i think it depends on the studio and if they want to be bought. Platinum wants to be free so thats a no go. Still Nintendo should probably buy some more studios with technical talent. Or build new studios and let existing studios grow. It's a damn shame they don't give Honne the manpower to make his own games (he worked on games from Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross to Baten kaitos (and every new Nintendogame)).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I searched for Fates so I could get insight on how Intelligent Systems could have made the one of the worst written games in the medium regardless of language/localization but no such luck.

With regards to this though it doesn't look hot but I'm sure it'll be fine on the handheld itself.
They tried outsourcing the writting to appeal to complex plot lovers, it was a behemonster of a script 🤭

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So they didn't change their internal plans to make Awakening more palatable for the west, and their solution to that was "FUCK IT LET'S GO FULL CREEP!" for the next one.

Priorities, IntSys. Priorities. You need to get some priorities.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Koei Tecmo is great, hope their partnership with Nintendo keeps getting stronger!

Now then, why are people asking for Ryu Hayabusa on Smash? If they are to bring someone from KT, then we need Lu Bu. Or Pang Tong.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Koei Tecmo is great, hope their partnership with Nintendo keeps getting stronger!

Now then, why are people asking for Ryu Hayabusa on Smash? If they are to bring someone from KT, then we need Lu Bu. Or Pang Tong.
Because of Ninja Gaiden. Ryu is an NES veteran, with the Ninja Gaiden trilogy there. One of the early series to embrace cutscenes between levels.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I mean, it's pretty clear that Awakening blew up mostly due to a) Nintendo of America actually advertising it, whereas the most advertising I can remember of any previous game was the original GBA FE having some screenshots in booklets of other GBA games together with other upcoming RPGs and Radiant Dawn getting one short E3 trailer; and b) being more newcomer-friendly, whereas the older games had built up this reputation of being much harder and unforgiving than they actually were (not helped by reviewers, I remember this one review for RD where the person specifically started by saying they hated strategy RPGs and were bad at them, but counted its difficulty as a negative).

3H is looking great so it seems the partnership with KT really paid off. I wonder if they'll also work on future FE games? Either way hopefully Is learned useful things from them.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's funny to me that some Japanese devs seem to think that there's a "Western appeal" set of features that they have to include in their game for it to be popular, or that they have to be very conscious of Western audiences in order for one of their games to succeed here. Just make good games :D FE Awakening was outstanding and it sold what it did because of that, not because they accidentally made a "Western love potion".
They'd made plenty of 'outstanding' Fire Emblem games before Awakening. I'd say most of them were even better tbh. And yet their high quality didn't lead to high sales, so it makes sense that they'd question what it was about Awakening that made it stand out so much. I think it was mostly just a case of releasing at the perfect time, coupled with actual marketing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the game looked a lot like FE:W so I am guessing it's using the same or a variant of the engine from FE:W

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, now it makes sense. The armies in battle reminded me a bit too much of KT's musous.