• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

yOUqNZ3.png

i2khF9w.png

hA2YWUU.png

JXRBIFQ.png

mEnCvxq.png

'Aquaman's $940M+ Global Muscle Bests 'Batman V. Superman' & 'Wonder Woman'; 'Escape Room' Packs $18M Stateside

Even though it's a quiet weekend at the box office after the mad holiday rush between Christmas and New Year's Day, studios savor the first frame of the year given its great holdover business. Kids are still off from school (K-12 was 61% off on Friday moving to 22% by Monday, college was 92% off and will be at 69% over the same four-day frame) and heading to the movies, and another big plus: There isn't a major snow storm freezing out the Northeast.

Warner Bros.' third weekend of Aquaman is the only title grossing north of $20M with a studio-reported $30.7M, -41% for a running total by EOD of $259.7M. He's a bigger deal overseas where WB officially reports what we've all been expecting for days that the the DC superhero has scaled to $940.7M WW with $681M overseas. Nancy reported that's the best overseas haul for a DC pic abroad. On a global basis Aquaman is ahead of DC's Batman v. Superman ($873.6M), Sony/Marvel's Venom ($855M), Warners/DC's Wonder Woman ($821.8M).

Columbia Picture's Escape Room was a great surprise to many, pushing its way past Disney's Mary Poppins Returns for 2nd place bragging rights of $18M this morning. At $6.6M, Saturday held in at -13% from Friday for Escape Room. Sony originally was going to construct Escape Room during the sleepy post Thanksgiving period of Nov. 30, but then moved the genre pic to Feb. 1 and finally this weekend. Good move: It's quite conceivable that Universal/BVI/Blumhouse's Glass will still be going strong at that time, and Sony opted to put its remake of Hispanic action-thriller Miss Bala on Feb. 1.

Poppins this morning looks like she's raking in an estimated third weekend of $15.8M after a Saturday that was +32% over Friday with $6.6M. The Rob Marshall-directed musical is nominated for four Golden Globes today including best musical/comedy.

Rivals agree: Escape Room is a great result for a PG-13 horror pic that reportedly carries a $9M production cost. Horror easily plays to the under 25 set during the first weekend of the year. A great example of how powerful genre can be at this time of year was Paramount's The Devil Inside back in 2012: The pic opened to No. 1 with $33.7M off a rare F CinemaScore. Those who entered Escape Room were 54/46 Male and 80% under 35 with the single largest quad being 18-24 years old at 33%. The mix was 42% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 20% African American & 16% Asian/Other. Escape Room played best in the on the East Coast along with the Mid & South-West.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $941M
Bohemian Rhapsody - $744M
The Grinch - $497M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $405M
Bumblebee - $289M
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - $275M
Mary Poppins Returns - $258M
Nutcracker and the Four Realms - $170M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
After years of being treated as a joke Aquaman has finally gotten his revenge and defeated the DC holy trinity.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Vice is going to finish around $45M. If it wasn't for that silly budget that would be considered a very solid number.

Also, Mule continues a nice slow and steady climb. Could get close to $100M domestic? Quite the win for Eastwood if he wants to continue directing.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Escape Room overindexed, $18M would be making back it's production budget on its OW.

Glad to see Cold War doing about as well as you can expect it to do, that hold considering its expansion is terrific.
On the Basis of Sex is quietly doing pretty well for itself

RIP Annapurna update:
Vice held well, and I would almost say it was doing good until I remembered that it cost $60M
Beale street is still on the softer side of things, not doing bad but soft.
Destroyer expanded well, sure it only doubled its theatre count to 6 but it maintained its PTA at the same $18K average which is impressive (the maintaining not the PTA)

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Reposting this from the other thread:

A really solid debut in China for Bumblebee, and it supposedly has strong WOM there. But I don't see the numbers for it hitting $500m eventually? That doensn't seem to add up.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't everyone just make horror movies, the return on investment is always massive.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Is Aquaman going to end up as the fourth highest grossing solo superhero film behind Black Panther, Captain America (Avengers 2.5), and IM3?

umbrella corp.

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2018

A really solid debut in China for Bumblebee, and it supposedly has strong WOM there. But I don't see the numbers for it hitting $500m eventually? That doensn't seem to add up.

oh nice, production was 100m so we might get a sequel. I really enjoyed seeing it with the kids last weekend

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
My concerns that Spider-Verse would only do okay, Lego Batman-esque numbers were handwaved, but it may gross lower than Lego Batman in the US.

Hopefully Sony keeps going with them.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 Billion should happen for Aquaman by the end of next weekend

Question is how much higher it can go. Insane run

umbrella corp.

Banned
Nov 2, 2018
It was 135M. I think it'll do really well on VOD and a sequel will probably happen. It's too important of a IP for Paramount.
yeah lets just hope the sequel will be good. The first transformers movie with Shia was good, then it went badly.

but I seriously wasn't expecting such a good movie. My boy wanted to see it and we had a week off for the holidays so I said why not. Boy was I surprised, I laughed and even shed a tear that I had to hide from the kids lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
yeah lets just hope the sequel will be good. The first transformers movie with Shia was good, then it went badly.

but I seriously wasn't expecting such a good movie. My boy wanted to see it and we had a week off for the holidays so I said why not. Boy was I surprised, I laughed and even shed a tear that I had to hide from the kids lol

My kids right after the movie were saying can't wait for the sequel. I didn't have the heart to tell them it's probably won't happen, but it's making quite the comeback.

Really all the Xmas movies MPR, Bee, Aquaman, Spiderverse craved out a nice niche for themselves.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
My kids right after the movie were saying can't wait for the sequel. I didn't have the heart to tell them it's probably won't happen, but it's making quite the comeback.

Really all the Xmas movies MPR, Bee, Aquaman, Spiderverse craved out a nice niche for themselves.
I wouldn't call Aquaman's success niche.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In China Movies with a 9+ score on Maoyan and a PSm that healthy tend to do 2.5 or better OWx (opening weekend multiplier).

An OW of 60m (rounded) with the current trajectory of XR would put BB at around 150m or higher LT in China alone.

290+90=380m
Japan is probably good for 15-20m
The rest of the world doing 100m from here (with China potentially adding more on top) isn't unlikely.

A sequel is more likely than unlikely. Not like Paramount has much else and it's looking to do around 500m WW off of a relatively small budget with Tencent having already covered like half of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman had an excellent hold worldwide, making almost $87M this weekend. Down 38% from last weekend, despite last weekend being inflated by holidays.

It is now looking probable that Aquaman will pass TDKR to become the biggest DC film of all time, and WB's second biggest film ever after Deathly Hallows Pt 2.

umbrella corp.

Banned
Nov 2, 2018

yeah they did, the theater was full both times we went (Ralph for daughter and bee for son) but there was people lining up for ALL the movies which is pretty rare.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Illumination takes this round from Disney.

Best box office battle in the industry.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at Escape Room, but happy for Deborah Ann Wohl.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good good. I know BumbleBee is a very popular character there.

It has been doing tepid in presales and even midnight showing but WOM exploded.

Surprised at Escape Room, but happy for Deborah Ann Wohl.

Sony keep winning (and proving once again that the new year is a great slot for lower budgeted horror filler).

9m production budget, minimal marketing budget, 18m OW? How many pieces of his soul does Rotheman have left to sell?

Last edited:

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

I wonder who they're gonna get for it if Travis Knight really does go off to do Guardians 3

Status
Not open for further replies.