• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd assumed Underwater probably had a small budget as horrors do, but then, 65 million, woof, that's a write-down. I'm also surprised by how (comparatively) high Little Women's budget was, 42 million, it's actually higher than Knives Out with all those stars. I have not seen it yet, but is it particularly lavish in production design or something?
It's a really nice looking film from top to bottom, with some great set design to replicate the look and feel of the era, as well as a whole lot of costuming. It was also shot on 35mm (Gerwig got convinced by Spielberg, of all people, to do that), which adds a bit to the budget, too.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
So Universal managed to build some buzz for 1917 by keeping it in limited release over the holidays? Happy it worked out for them, that seemed like such a strange decision.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I guess they didn't have to "drag TROS to a billion" after all.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy Rise will cross 1 billion.
awesome news for 1917. Everyone everywhere is talking about it, from the gym to work.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see 1917 did well. Great movie. Went to a 10:45 am showing on Saturday and it was packed.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very disappointed schlorgan did not use my sealab jokes.
fjVfyFN.gif

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of pieces of cinema that's going to lose money.

What's the expectations for this next week?

images

Reminder, Universal thought Cats was better suited for Christmas than this was.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. I don't think those SW films are happening.
Nah, if there's anything to take away from this mess, it's that the hate for Rian Johnson is really only contained to a bubble. He's well respected in Hollywood, and has a streak of critical and commercial successes including one this year. His shots are only going to get bigger from here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno either if either Disney or Fox is to blame for Underwater underperforming, Fox had that at the ready for 2 years but Disney just said fuck it and released it on a weak month and then 1917 was sure to get something.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, if there's anything to take away from this mess, it's that the hate for Rian Johnson is really only contained to a bubble. He's well respected in Hollywood, and has a streak of critical and commercial successes including one this year. His shots are only going to get bigger from here.
I think the decision was taken months ago. His answers on the Knives Out press tour were very telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.