• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure which is more surprising. A Fresh rated Bad Boys movie from unknown directors or another critical hit Will Smith movie in a row.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I finally saw BB1 a couple years ago, since it felt like a hole in my old action movie canon. Yeah, it wasn't good at all.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's not that nuts, gonna be a stretch.

Same folks here for a while were all saying the movie was locked to not pass 1bil even and look how it turned out.

Domestic prediction is realistic (just above 500 million) but I really would be shocked if international goes much over 550M. International lategame legs tend to be weak.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Isn't this RDJ's passion project?
tenor.gif

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder, Universal had more confident in Cats for the Christmas Timeslot than they did with Dolittle.

They thought they'd have a better chance in turning in a profit with Cats.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao those Doolittle reviews. They had no idea how to market this turkey and it shows.

In other news, 1917 lived up to the hype, goddamn. Best war movie since Saving Private Ryan imo.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
And thus, Skywalker is now behind Rogue One domestic.
Last Jedi made about $40m after this point. Rogue One about $50m. But Skywalker is falling behind in dailies faster. Question is just how far below Rogue One will it land, but it is assured to have a better multiplier than Last Jedi, so at least the Skywalker fans can have that.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm dumb. What's this multiplier people keep mentioning?
It serves to measure word-of-mouth over a period of time in the United States.
I think it's done by dividing the total domestic Box Office over its weekend opening, for example Endgame was 2,4 I believe, which is a typical number for a blockbuster. Batman v Superman had 1,99.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to know the context on "Doolittle goes down on a squirrel". Surely that can't be a real thing in the movie?!

The dragon thing definitely happens because I've seen a bunch of people talk about it.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Comparing the opening weekend gross to the final gross. A horrible multiplier is 2x, for instance.
It serves to measure word-of-mouth over a period of time in the United States.
I think it's done by dividing the total domestic Box Office over its weekend opening, for example Endgame was 2,4 I believe, which is a typical number for a blockbuster. Batman v Superman had 1,99.
It includes international and domestic? Would that make Knives Out's multiplier 9.96? ($266,730,568 total now / $26,769,548 opening weekend) That's insane if that's the case.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
what's christopher nolan's highest domestic grossing film that's not a batman? Inception? trying to gauge how much Tenet could make.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Greatest Showman have like the most absurd multiplier at like 19.8x or something?

I recall the film was 5th in the opening weekend it released wide.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
BvS is an example of a horrible multiplier; its domestic total was 1.9x the opening weekend.

TROS will be like 2.8x (TLJ was 2.6x).
bbhA4qG.png

2.82x for TLJ actually. TROS is going to barely go past it. That $502m is just a placeholder, but it will hit that number and thus get a better multiplier. Just how much higher it goes is anyone's guess.
And for the weekend and weekly drops on Skywalker, that is using only 2 and 3 drops respectively, while all the other films in the chart have 10 weeks, so that skews that number slightly for now until more time goes on. It also screws with the averages at the bottom. Because once you remove TROS then the avg gross at 4 weeks is about 90%.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, ok. So really it tells one of two stories. Either the movie has really good legs or the movie did not open very high in the first place. Seems ripe for misunderstanding by people just ducking in and out.

It really is. Endgame's legs might not look as good as other movies because it was hugely, highly anticipated and theaters went 24 hours for the release. And a lot of franchise movies have similarly frontloaded grosses (like Harry Potter for instance). And then it's also complicated by the time of year (Christmas holiday releases tend to have longer legs as people have more free time) or what gets released shortly after.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That's insane. What's Titanic's multiplier?
20.98x. It also made more than 3x the money Showman did domestic, and was #1 at the box office every week from December until first week of April.

EDIT: Week 11 was the first time it had a weekend below $20m. It kept adding theaters weekly until week 18 when it finally lost 253 screens. Its week 15 weekend gross was higher than TROS 4th weekend.

It just wouldn't stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.