• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

1917_card.png

tros_card_new.png

jumanji_card.png

like_a_boss_card.png

just_mercy_card.png

It's another win for original movies, and this time around with a fresh face cast, as Amblin/New Republic/Universal's 1917 jumps to a $36.5M wide opening, putting its running total at $39.2M since its limited Christmas debut. Those are official Sunday AM estimates from Uni after a $13.7M Saturday that was -2% from Friday's $14M which included previews $3.25M previews.

Paramount's Like a Boss, I hear, played quite well with testing audiences, who had a great time. But as of Sunday morning, both Paramount and Warner Bros. are calling No. 4 for themselves with the Burbank, CA lot also arguing over $10M. We'll have the industry estimates shortly to determine who is likely to be placed 4th and 5th.

Warner Bros.' Just Mercy continues to be a grand slam with audiences, with its updated wide CinemaScore sustaining at an A+ throughout all demos, and 4 1/2 stars on PostTrak, with a 73% definite recommend. Saturday was $3.66M, -1% from Friday's $3.68M.

Disney/Fox had the TSG/Chernin Entertainment Kirsten Stewart action movie Underwater, and it's two duds in a row for the Twlight alum after Charlie's Angels, with this $50M production from Sundance Film Fest alum William Eubank hitting rock bottom with $6.9M in the No. 7 spot according to industry estimates on Sunday AM. Disney will report soon.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

1-12-20.JPG

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
WORLDWIDE UPDATES

Frozen II (Disney) - $1.37b

1576000745_youloveit_com_frozen_2_final_elsa_saves_arendelle_from_flood06.gif

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Disney) - $989m

giphy.gif

Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony) - $671m

giphy.gif

Little Women (Sony) - $107m

little-women-2.gif

Knives Out (Lionsgate) - $256m

giphy.gif

CATS (Universal) - $59m

giphy.gif

Last edited:

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering how painful the " underwater" pun OP choose to go with will be, and in my opinion its not painful enough .

My screening for 1917 had an interesting audience makeup of both older folks that you would normally expect to see at a prestige drama and having much younger adults that you would normally find at a blockbuster. A very interesting attempt at bridging the gap between two very different kinds of audiences, and it seems to have paid off for Universal.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I wish The Numbers would list the production budgets on the weekend charts as BOM used to before the dark times. Having to click on each individually and look through the summary is tedious.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I wish The Numbers would list the production budgets on the weekend charts as BOM used to before the dark times. Having to click on each individually and look through the summary is tedious.

The Numbers has been pretty receptive to suggestions since the Mojo debacle, so e-mail them and ask for it and see what happens?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assumed Underwater probably had a small budget as horrors do, but then, 65 million, woof, that's a write-down. I'm also surprised by how (comparatively) high Little Women's budget was, 42 million, it's actually higher than Knives Out with all those stars. I have not seen it yet, but is it particularly lavish in production design or something?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Schlorgan you have Jumanji's subtitle as "The Final Level" instead of "The Next Level" just fyi.

Skywalker is gonna have better legs than TLJ, just barely, so... it has that going for it at least.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Movies I still need to watch:
Knives out
Uncut gems

whoever says cinema isdying or that everything is sequels and remakes, gtfo

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
TROS will almost certainly make less than Rogue One domestic.

Its worldwide total will be closer to Solo than TFA.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'd assumed Underwater probably had a small budget as horrors do, but then, 65 million, woof, that's a write-down. I'm also surprised by how (comparatively) high Little Women's budget was, 42 million, it's actually higher than Knives Out with all those stars. I have not seen it yet, but is it particularly lavish in production design or something?
More varied locations for Little Women helped drive it up.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Jumanji coming to surpass Star wars weekend grosses despite being opening earlier. Jumanji wasn't locked in Star Wars. Star Wars was locked in with Jumanji!

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm glad Like a Boss is finally out so I never have to see a trailer for it again. It looks like the most annoying movie ever to me.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Parasite wouldn't hit 25 million after it started slowing down but wow. It really picked up. Great for it.

Frozen 2 and Knives Out continue to do stellar.

1917 off to a great start.

couldn't ask for more.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Cool that it's almost crossed a billion. I need to take some time and see Knives out and Frozen 2. I got A List but barely make use of it. I heard Frozen 2 was great.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Parasite wouldn't hit 25 million after it started slowing down but wow. It really picked up. Great for it.

Frozen 2 and Knives Out continue to do stellar.

1917 off to a great start.

couldn't ask for more.
Just watched it last night, fabulous film. Deserves all the success it's getting.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I need to watch Uncut Gems before it leaves theaters. Might have to go alone to the cinema just to catch it lol

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Oof TROS.. almost 100m behind TLJ already. Ryan really killed the franchise huh lol :P

Joking aside, it's gonna pass $1b at least I guess so it's not all crash and burn. I wonder how far it'll crawl past 500m dom.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else tired of the little women/emma time period love story movies? I know I'm beyond done with them.

1917 was great and deserves more than what it made though

Status
Not open for further replies.