• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they are looking for directors who are primarily known for TV work if they are going with the MCU approach (high republic era series of films).

Which totally bums me out.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like whatever went down between Rian and Disney/SW is similar to the Affleck/Batman situation where both parties mutually agree to part ways
Nothing went down. He had a smooth shoot and Kennedy liked working with him. Just a case of them blowing their load too quick and announcing it before TLJ was even out. They got the receipts in and response from TLJ, shelved it and been letting it just die quietly. Between them saying they are done with trilogies, TROS, and zero news since announcement. Writing has been on the wall for a while.

Gunn isn't a great comparison either. They had to publicly make a statement with that because of the content. Gunn needed to be "punished" for the kid friendly Disney to save face. Heat passes, he "learned" his lesson. Gunn had the support of the cast and crew behind him also, alongside GOTG exceeding expectations.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I just lurk these threads mostly but y'all's obsession with Rian Johnson is weird.

Fwiw I'd ather him do more original stuff than Star Wars, but that's the same with any talented artist working on a Disney property.
People who loved TLJ want him to make more Star Wars movies. It's that simple.

A secondary reason I suppose would be a counterreaction to the toxic SW fans who harass the shit out of Johnson on social media and hoped Knives Out would fail because how dare he make Luke anything but perfect, doesn't he know that once you acquire the Self-Control Skill as an adult (usually at age 45 but can be sooner if you grind harder) you never make any mistakes ever again???

He's been such a big target for the ugliest elements of the SW fan base that it's nice to see him score a win.

Oct 27, 2017
Disney bought Lucasfilm after many years of "childhood-ruining" controversy and rhetoric. They then allowed a non-canon Lego animated show to be produced, one where Palpatine was the standout funny-man character.

So basically, anything is possible.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing went down. He had a smooth shoot and Kennedy liked working with him. Just a case of them blowing their load too quick and announcing it before TLJ was even out. They got the receipts in and response from TLJ, shelved it and been letting it just die quietly. Between them saying they are done with trilogies, TROS, and zero news since announcement. Writing has been on the wall for a while.

Gunn isn't a great comparison either. They had to publicly make a statement with that because of the content. Gunn needed to be "punished" for the kid friendly Disney to save face. Heat passes, he "learned" his lesson. Gunn had the support of the cast and crew behind him also, alongside GOTG exceeding expectations.
Oh yeah, definitely didn't mean to imply there's any bad blood between Rian and Disney. For whatever reason though, I don't think that trilogy is moving forward.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The correct call is giving Rian one movie and seeing how it goes. Then you make the call from there.

Enough of this trilogy bullshit.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Word also is that Rian wants to shoot the Knives Out sequel quick, like within this year, as if he has another movie to get to after that. Maybe one that releases in 2022.... 🤔

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
HR already said the 2022 won't be the Rian Johnson project. The director is supposed to be announced this month.
WeD9JH37_400x400.jpg

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep totally legit crowd not stuffed with idiots for a video
I saw the videos on Twitter, long story short: Spoilers:A group of Reylo fans paid $48 each for a private screening (To do whatever) They were cheering when the relevant moment for those fans happened (the kiss), afterward they gasped given what happens next, and at the end, they were basically booing and the like because of the ship they represent :v
But the actual people there were saying on Twitter they were simply having fun, not actually angry or something.
It's not tier-3 fan stuff or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
People who loved TLJ want him to make more Star Wars movies. It's that simple.

A secondary reason I suppose would be a counterreaction to the toxic SW fans who harass the shit out of Johnson on social media and hoped Knives Out would fail because how dare he make Luke anything but perfect, doesn't he know that once you acquire the Self-Control Skill as an adult (usually at age 45 but can be sooner if you grind harder) you never make any mistakes ever again???

He's been such a big target for the ugliest elements of the SW fan base that it's nice to see him score a win.
All of this

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Disney bought Lucasfilm after many years of "childhood-ruining" controversy and rhetoric. They then allowed a non-canon Lego animated show to be produced, one where Palpatine was the standout funny-man character.

So basically, anything is possible.
Palpatine as a put upon CEo of an incompetent company was a good take

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Snyder keeps going on social media and telling people that the Snyder Cut is not only real, but basically done and he just needs some more money from WB to finish it, which leads his fanbase to endlessly harass WB about it.

They're not working with him again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Oh yeah, definitely didn't mean to imply there's any bad blood between Rian and Disney. For whatever reason though, I don't think that trilogy is moving forward.

Didn't Rian confirm he was still working on it a month ago? He pretty frequently interacts with Lucasfilm people on Twitter, too.

Like I don't know where the backlash to the Raimi Spiderman trilogy came from.

People REALLY hated Spider-Man 3 on a level that is baffling. Like, it's not amazing, but people talk about it as though it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be excited apart from MCU stans shitting on his trilogy. 3 I will happily admit is a mess but the seething hatred for 1 and 2 feels like it came out of nowhere.
My impression is that Spiderman 2 stands on its own as the best representation of Marvel critically, and that's an inconvenient truth that needs to be shut down for them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He even got some actors that are still working with WB to join in the Snyder cut nonsense.

I would be surprised if WB gives in and spends the 30-50 million it would cost to finish it.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I feel like there has been. People shitting on Toby McGuire as Peter Parker or on the movies being cheesy.
Ah, sure. That's a pretty common criticism, I agree. But Spider-Man 2 is still widely hailed as one of the best comic book movies. I haven't really seen any major backlash. I'm pretty sure it'd still come out on top in a poll between all the Spidey movies, here on Era.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
When something is highly anticipated, if it doesn't live up to expectations, there will be a lot of hyperbole thrown around.

Like with TROS

I guess they're comparable but the Spider-Man 3 complaints always seemed (to me) to harp on emo Peter and ignore the rest of the film. I always felt people were getting hung up on a random scene and dogpiling the rest of the film (which, at the very least, did a great job with Sandman).

TROS complaints seem to be far more diverse.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I am just a 28 year old boomer but nothing in the MCU or really anything in the genre touches the artistry or pathos of the first two Raimi Spiderman films. And Toby is absolutely fantastic in those movies.

Yes including the Nolan Batman movies (Begins is the best one of that trilogy)

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly prefer if Rian didn't make the next star wars. He's at his best when he has creative control over his films, and he probably won't get much of that with the next series of star wars films.

I had more fun with Knives Out than I did any of the recent star wars films.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Maybe I am just a 28 year old boomer but nothing in the MCU or really anything in the genre touches the artistry or pathos of the first two Raimi Spiderman films. And Toby is absolutely fantastic in those movies.

I... can't really think of a counter argument on those terms. I do think this is due to the high quality of those first two films and not the low quality of the newer crop. With the interconnected universes I think it's hard to do character arcs like those two Spidey films had, because they (at least I remember, it's been awhile) were not afraid to make Peter absolutely miserable before anything even kind of got better.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

I for one personally hold The Dark Knight responsible for every tentpole superhero movie being like eight fucking hours long.

Oct 25, 2017
Also The Prestige is Nolan's best film by a goddamn mile

I... can't really think of a counter argument on those terms. I do think this is due to the high quality of those first two films and not the low quality of the newer crop. With the interconnected universes I think it's hard to do character arcs like those two Spidey films had, because they (at least I remember, it's been awhile) were not afraid to make Peter absolutely miserable before anything even kind of got better.
Toby acted the hell out of those scenes where he needed show emotion or cry. Sadly this became a target for screencapped frames for memes because he didn't do what other leads in super hero movies do and not show too much emotion.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

They're undeniably well made films but the mix of melodramatic and campy tones never sits well with me. I also don't think Peter is a particularly compelling protagonist in them compared to most iterations of the character. They definitely have their moments but the constant tonal whiplash is very jarring for me. Spider-Man 2 is pretty great though, definitely a solid, well-constructed film. The train fight is one of the all time great action setpieces.

Even setting aside MCU, Spider-Verse I think trounces anything Raimi put out. And I'm also a 28 year old boomer. TDK is more entertaining and involved as well I would argue but is borderline fash-apologia so I'm not gonna lament anybody for disliking it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Also The Prestige is Nolan's best film by a goddamn mile

Toby acted the hell out of those scenes where he needed show emotion or cry. Sadly this became a target for screencapped frames for memes because he didn't do what other leads in super hero movies do and not show too much emotion.

This kinda reminds me of people complaining about TLJ because Luke wasn't all powerful all the time forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Even setting aside MCU, Spider-Verse I think trounces anything Raimi put out. And I'm also a 28 year old boomer. TDK is more entertaining and involved as well I would argue but is borderline fash-apologia so I'm not gonna lament anybody for disliking it.
Again The Prestige does not have Nolan's weird conservative politics.

The Dark Knight Rises is his worst offender.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I like Rian Johnson a lot and all of his movies are good to really good; but I don't get the God moniker at all. He's not that amazing, just really consistent. That said, Knives Out is his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.