• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

9gMDndr.png

H45hZ1l.png

7gNJWuP.png

i2xzFjy.png

1dc53zX.png

'Upside' Reps STX's First No. 1 Opener With $19.5M+; 'Aquaman' Flips Over $1B WW; Keanu Reeves Hits B.O. Low With 'Replicas'

In a slow weekend, STXfilms is reaping the box office spoils and has noted its first ever No. 1 opening since launching their theatrical arm in August 2015 with The Upside posting $19.59M.

Rivals have often knocked STX for improperly dating their titles. Well, who is laughing now?

STX's distribution of Lantern Entertainment's Upside is unexpectedly beating Warner Bros/DC's Aquaman which hooked a $17.3M fourth weekend, -44% for a running domestic total of $287.8M. The Neil Burger-directed dramedy is soaring significantly past its industry tracking ($10M-$14M). It's quite possible by tomorrow morning, The Upside ups its three-day take to $20M. Saturday's ticket sales of $7.9M were up over Friday's $7M by 14%.

Some wondered why STX wasn't releasing this movie next weekend over MLK, which has been a lucrative period for Kevin Hart fare. Others wondered why the studio didn't qualify the film for Oscars after a great response at its TIFF 2017 premiere. Really, no regrets here by STX. They knew to stay out of the way of Universal/BVI/Blumhouse's Glass next weekend (better to play into that movie, which could open to $54M-$70M).

What's also driving business here for Upside? Women over 25, who repped 46% of the audience on Screen Engine/ComScore's PostTrak and are giving the pic its best grades at 91%. Overall, the Hart-Cranston combo has four and a half stars and a 66% definite recommend. Men 25+ are the second biggest demo at 29%. Diversity reach is broad on Upside, with 45% Caucasians, 25% African-American, and 19% Hispanic. The Upside played best in the west and south, along with solid numbers in the midwest. The top then theaters include five in Texas and Georgia, which is not usually the norm for a #1 film in the marketplace.

STXfilms kept their P&A reasonable at less than $30M. They are not backstopping it, which earns them more of an upside in their distribution deal. iSpot backs this up, showing that the Burbank, CA-based media company shelled out less in TV spots at $7M than its wide entry competition this weekend. Sony spent $18.8M on A Dog's Way Home, and Entertainment Studios, which we hear was very TV heavy with Replicas spots during NFL games, forked over $10.5M in TV spend.

Despite Aquaman taking second place stateside, he's surfing Warner Bros. to their 5th $1 billion-grossing-plus title in the studio's –third for a DC film– after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($1.3B), The Dark Knight Rises ($1B), The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($1B), and The Dark Knight ($1B). The pic should hit $300M at the domestic B.O. next Saturday.

Sony/Bona's Film A Dog's Way Home is coming in third with an esimated $11.3M, a meh result for a movie that cost $18M. Saturday at $7.85M was driven by family matinees, +13% over Friday. Distribution sources snipe that it made no sense for the Culver City lot to release the movie in a family-heavy marketplace where there's Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, and Sony's own Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse in play. There's only 1% of K-12 schools off on Monday, per ComScore (a number that rises to 95% on MLK Monday). The whole point why Sony put the doggy film here this weekend, was like STX with Upside, to play into the upcoming 4-day holiday. But this feature rendition of the W. Bruce Cameron novel is opening at 38% less than 2017's A Dog's Purpose ($18.2M). CinemaScore was an A-, which is a half a grade below the As received by Amblin/Universal's A Dog's Purpose and MGM/Warner Bros.' Max. Speaking of the latter, A Dog's Way Home could mirror that canine pic's trajectory, which opened to $12.1M and ended its domestic run at $42.6M.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $1.020B
Bohemian Rhapsody - >$751M (waiting on the overseas update)
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $434M
Bumblebee - $365M
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - $302M
Mary Poppins Returns - $288M
Creed 2 - $166M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I know this will be about Aquaman and the Upside to an extent, but what will the narrative end up being around Mary Poppins? Like it may not even end up being 2nd of the Dec releases.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Cold War having this weekend's highest PTA is just music to my ears! Can't wait for the inevitable remake starring Jennifer Lawrence making eight times the original's total on its OW. No I'm not salty over how Americans are ignoring subtitled films. At all.

Stan & Ollie is also expanding pretty well all thing considered, at least it might wash off the stench of Holmes and Watson from John C. Reilly.

On the Basis of Sex, whilst not majorly breaking out, did well, it's basically doing the numbers I wished Beale Street was doing

Speaking off, RIP Annapurna update:
Vice is doing good... if the film hade been made for $20-30M instead of the $60m it actually was made for.
Destroyer is expanding decently but not setting the world on fire. Mostly I am glad that it got some people to reevaluate Karyn Kusama's overlooked Jennifer's Body.
Beale Street is just not catching on in a major way which is a shame, I hope it at least can catch up to its $12M budget which it should unless it starts dropping hard.

Also;
IMAX also set a new milestone with Fox's Bohemian Rhapsody. In Japan, it has become the format's biggest grosser ever there, topping Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with $8.5M.
Sell the Star Wars rights back to Fox!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god Escape Room will be a franchise now ain't it?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse is sitting at $300 Million worldwide.

It needs $90 million more to outgross Solo: A Star Wars Story.

How likely is that to happen and how many more markets does it have to open in?

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Superhero movies have been dominating the box office for about a decade. Starting to wonder when they'll start slowing down.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

Japan would have to be pretty big by superhero film standards for $400M to happen. That is the only territory left. $390M is a bit easier, but too early to tell yet. Domestic will end up somewhere between $180-200M depending on how strong Spider-verse remains through the rest of this month. I don't think that Glass will hit it very hard next weekend, but it might cause a venue count dent.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like i saw zero advertising for the upside. maybe it's just the channels i'm watching, though

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Let's have a moment: Bumblebee has surpassed the gross of Divergent, amazing accomplishment.

Can't wait for the next Transformers film, Prime - and after that, Hasbro Cinematic Universe let's go!

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Superhero movies have been dominating the box office for about a decade. Starting to wonder when they'll start slowing down.

Not this year.

Also, the true domination has been post Avengers, I think. That's when everything started routinely making over $600M worldwide. Now it seems like $800M+ worldwide is becoming the superhero standard, with $600M (still higher than Iron Man 1) being relegated to Ant-Man tier films.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017

Japan's still to get it, Feb. release over there. That's it for big markets. If it goes on slowly dropping week to week, and Japan shows some love (uncertain), I'd say $350 m. is realistic.

Why are you comparing it to Solo, though? Spin-off and all that, but Spidey was most probably cheaper to produce. Sony's about to see benefits for the film, only after one month. I doubt Solo made any cent back to Disney, until it got released on stores.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope Oscar nomination/win would give spiderverse a bump and spiderverse legs it out through that period

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Happy for STX to have two movies in a row do well. They've stumbled quite a bit so hopefully this encourages them to keep at it.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i remember when nicole kidman was box office poison, and now she's in the top 2 films.

not exactly leading roles, but still.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm pissed. Went to see Spidey yesterday, fell asleep 20 min into the movie. Woke upto the credits. Why the fuck did I have to fall asleep to this movie, Goddamnit!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Japan's still to get it, Feb. release over there. That's it for big markets. If it goes on slowly dropping week to week, and Japan shows some love (uncertain), I'd say $350 m. is realistic.

Why are you comparing it to Solo, though? Spin-off and all that, but Spidey was most probably cheaper to produce. Sony's about to see benefits for the film, only after one month. I doubt Solo made any cent back to Disney, until it got released on stores.

The Solo comparison is because of Lord and Miller, they were originally tied to do Solo, and they helped produce Spiderverse.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Assorted international numbers (via ScreenDaily):

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, which last weekend won the animation Golden Globe and subsequently earned a BAFTA nomination, added $9.4m from 65 markets for $154.6m and crossed $300m worldwide to stand at $302.4m. Brazil led all markets for the film with $2.8m number one debut, while Thailand delivered $900,000 including previews for number one.
Mary Poppins Returns brought in a further $10.6m from 48 material territories for $137.2m and $287.9m worldwide. The UK remains the lead market on $48.5m (£38.2m) and has overtaken the £36.8m lifetime total of Captain America: Civil War and those of Deadpool (£37.9m) and Deadpool 2 (£32.7m). Italy has generated $14.4m, and France $10.4m.

The family film has grossed $112m across Europe, overtaking the cumulative totals of The Greatest Showman on $105m and Les Miserables on $100m.
Creed II grossed $12.1m from 43 territories for an early $51.1m. The boxing drama sequel opened in France at number one on $5.8m, little surprise given Creed's strong performance in the territory and all the more impressive that it was 33% higher than the original's debut.
Ralph Breaks The Internet added $15.4m from 35 material territories to reach $243.7m and $434.1m worldwide. China has delivered $39m to stay on top of the leaderboard, followed by Japan on $27.9m, and the UK on $21.2m. Poland returned a $1m debut in the second highest Disney Animation Studios opening behind Zootopia.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
3,4 and 5 are Sony movies, huh. Kaz Hirai's last big move was to appoint Rothman, Kaz has got a golden touch it seems

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
What's more impressive about this is that they were both new franchises. Now that's amazing. Though Aquaman beating every DCEU movie is also pretty impressive.

And Nicole Kidman box office queen for 4 weeks in a row now?

Both Furious 7 and Aquaman had huge bumps over the previous film featuring the same characters

But Avatar and Titanic are still the top 2 worldwide of all time, so obviously Cameron goes unmatched for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.